2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (36251, 20/20 Vision, anotherscott, bcalvanese, 1957, beeboss, 7sheji, Aylin, Barly, 10 invisible), 1,434 guests, and 300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by Mark R.
By the way, when I last looked, America was not a country, but a continent consisting of North and South America, encompassing several countries.

Yes. However, if you ask a typical American (in the sense of United States citizen) if a Colombian or a Brazilian or an Innuit is an American, the likely answer you will get is: no. Or, perhaps after some prodding, you might get them to admit that they might be considered "Americans".

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by Jean Claude
Originally Posted by theJourney
Originally Posted by Del
[quote=Keith D Kerman]Why do you have Europe in quotation marks?

To protect the anonymity of the individual. Europe covered it without being specific. (He may not care but I hadn't asked....)

Perhaps I am being dense but I fail to see why the anonymity of the person concerned is any more protected by the use of inverted commas.

Most Europeans I know, when they speak of Europe almost always speak of "Europe". And, most all appreciate their privacy.

I'm fascinated. How does one speak of "Europe" and how does it differ from speaking of Europe? A slight apologetic cough perhaps? A full-blown sneering drawl? Does one wriggle ones fingers in the air to indicate inverted commas? Does one wriggle ones fingers in the air to indicate quotation marks?

One speaks of Europe when one discusses the need for all countries to execute to the agreed level of financial discipline.

One speaks of "Europe" when France yet again argues that it should be an exception and not have to be held to previous, current or future promises, agreements and pledges.

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by Del

To protect the anonymity of the individual. Europe covered it without being specific. (He may not care but I hadn't asked....)

Perhaps I am being dense but I fail to see why the anonymity of the person concerned is any more protected by the use of inverted commas.

Most Europeans I know, when they speak of Europe almost always speak of "Europe". And, most all appreciate their privacy.

I'm fascinated. How does one speak of "Europe" and how does it differ from speaking of Europe? A slight apologetic cough perhaps? A full-blown sneering drawl? Does one wriggle ones fingers in the air to indicate inverted commas? Does one wriggle ones fingers in the air to indicate quotation marks?

One speaks of Europe when one discusses the need for all countries to execute to the agreed level of financial discipline.

One speaks of "Europe" when France yet again argues that it should be an exception and not have to be held to previous, current or future promises, agreements and pledges.

I find your comment offensively racist.

J-C.

Sauter Alpha 160, Yamaha N3 Avant Grand, Sauter Studio Upright (1974)
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Del

In this case (and for reasons that will remain private) I did not want to be specific about one gentleman's country of origin and yet wanted to mention him as an indication of the broad cultural diversity of the group. I thought I had accomplished that.
ddf

Well, it clearly backfired. grin

Actually, framing Europe with any kind of punctuation adornment made Europe stand out. If you wanted to downplay, you should have failed to capitalize it or used a smaller font size than you used in the rest of the text. grin

When I read the post, I assumed that you wanted Europe to stand out. Since punctuation is for the most part an attempt to approximate the nuances of spoken language, my take was that while it was not surprising that the others in the party might freely and amicably associate in a public place, a prominent Euro in the piano biz might not want to be caught by camera or even by written word selling out brand pedigree, national pride, or even family honor in exchange for cost savings on parts and labor. grin

Despite any misunderstanding of that small point, I enjoyed your post, your thoughts, and your hope (which I share) that a shrinking world may eventually become a more enlightened world.

Will Johnny Come Marching Home?
The fate of the modern wartime soldier
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by Del

J-C.

It is just an illustration of how real Europeans think based on historical facts of the past behavior of actual EU member states and why this leads to them to discuss "Europe."

Perhaps you should take yourself less seriously and then look up the definition for racist.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

J-C.

Well we've gone this far off track....

There is nothing racist about that statement.
The French are not a "race" anymore than Americans
are a race.

Even if he said something like "French people
smell bad", it would not be considered racist.
Prejudice or stereotyping, yes, but not racist.

Del, I was hoping while I was in the Seattle, WA area last week I might get to drive down and get to meet you. But things on my end just didn't work out, and since you were out I suppose it worked out well.

Maybe next time.

Tuning and repairing pianos since 1981 in Ranger, Tx. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Roys-Piano-Service/173273022711505

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Smell bad? From my year in France, what comes to mind is the aroma wafting from the pâtisseries. Delightful!

Hasn't this gone on long enough?

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
'the Journey'

I have the feeling that you are dressing up your own rather odd opinions as those of 'real Europeans' If this is not the case perhaps you could enlighten me as to what you mean by the phrase and perhaps explain how I might distinguish a real European from any other kind (presumably false, fake or artificial Europeans)

It would also be interesting to learn how many of the 750,000,000 (approx) Europeans are real and how you have gone about canvassing them for their views.

J-C.

Last edited by Jean Claude; 02/26/13 11:57 AM.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Minnesota Marty
Smell bad? From my year in France, what comes to mind is the aroma wafting from the pâtisseries. Delightful!

Hasn't this gone on long enough?

I didn't imply the French smell bad,
I was using a oft used old stereotype
to make a point.

And yes, it had gone on long enough. help

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Plinky - I completely understood what you were saying. I just pushed it over the top with an attempt of humor.

I agree with you about racism vs. stereotyping.

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
No worries! cool

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
No wonder Orwell was depressed about the future!

Gary
B
B
Originally Posted by Del

Perhaps I’m just getting old and reflective but the feeling that this was far better than fighting over petty differences was profound.

ddf

Now we have the internet for that.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
It would also be interesting to learn how many of the 750,000,000 (approx) Europeans are real and how you have gone about canvassing them for their views.

I would be particularly interested what our Russian friends would have to say to that.

They're the often forgotten, biggest part of "Europe"....
[by far..]

http://geography.about.com/od/europemaps/a/europe-countries-area.htm

Norbert wink

Last edited by Norbert; 02/26/13 03:47 PM.

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
This thread, which seemed quite fun at first, has got rather out of hand and for my own part I shall make no further contributions to it.

I should like to apologize to Del for hijacking his OT and to Withindale for teasing him about grammar and I would particularly like to thank Marty for his efforts to calm things down.

It is 23.15h in France and because I am now mildly paranoid about being smelly I propose to take a bath before going to bed.

Good night to one and all.

J-C.

Edited for punctuation (!)

Last edited by Jean Claude; 02/26/13 06:30 PM.

D
Del Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Roy Rodgers
Del, I was hoping while I was in the Seattle, WA area last week I might get to drive down and get to meet you. But things on my end just didn't work out, and since you were out I suppose it worked out well.

Maybe next time.

I'd be happy for you to stop by for a visit. (Right now, though, that would involve a 14-hour plane ride, each way). Then I could say I'd been visited by an "American."

ddf

Delwin D Fandrich
Piano Research, Design & Manufacturing Consultant
ddfandrich@gmail.com
(To contact me privately please use this e-mail address.)

Stupidity is a rare condition, ignorance is a common choice. --Anon
D
Del Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
D
This thread, which seemed quite fun at first, has got rather out of hand and for my own part I shall make no further contributions to it.

I should like to apologize to Del for hijacking his OT and to Withindale for teasing him about grammar and I would particularly like to thank Marty for his efforts to calm things down.

It is 23.15h in France and because I am now mildly paranoid about being smelly I propose to take a bath before going to bed.

Good night to one and all.

J-C.

Edited for punctuation (!)

No apology needed. I have found the whole discussion quite interesting.

We not only live in interesting times but we live in a rapidly shrinking world. Cultures are brought together and mixing and meshing (or not) in altogether new ways. We can run from this or we can join in. I prefer to join in. As do, I think, most who participate on a forum such as this. I find the differing cultural ideas and approaches to things I have taken for granted from my youth to be quite stimulating.

My thanks to all who have participated. I've learned some stuff....

ddf

Delwin D Fandrich
Piano Research, Design & Manufacturing Consultant
ddfandrich@gmail.com
(To contact me privately please use this e-mail address.)

Stupidity is a rare condition, ignorance is a common choice. --Anon
AJB Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
You have all misunderstood Europe. From a British point of view (in fact I prefer English) one prefers Continental Europe (with or without quotation marks) to distinguish the big bit from the offshore segment.

Whilst it is allegedly a fact that the United Kingdom is part of "Europe" the reality is that there are "continentals" and there are British.

As it happens I am married to a continental, so I have a foot either side of the water.

Everyone surely knows that Europe, when surrounded by quotation marks, includes the EEC undesirables. Hence it is clear from Del's post that his secret dining companion hails from neither the UK nor the likes of France and Germany. Thus we are dealing with a nouveau "European" I fancy.

C212. Teaching. Accompaniment.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

LOL - you just did! grin

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,193
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission