Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2039814 - 02/26/13 07:17 PM How far from front of keyboard to back of bench?
Marjorie2 Offline

Loc: United States
I'm trying to figure out what size grand piano (5'1" - 5'10") will fit in my living room. A local dealer came by with a template and said I should add approximately 18 inches for the bench. Piano Buyer says allow 2 to 3 feet for the bench - quite a difference. The piano players in my house are one small adult and two children. Any thoughts on whether 18 inches is really enough?

Thank you.

Marjorie

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#2039826 - 02/26/13 07:43 PM Re: How far from front of keyboard to back of bench? [Re: Marjorie2]
Minnesota Marty Offline

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014

Loc: Rochester MN
I would go with 2'-3' to allow comfort when sitting down and then sliding the bench forward. 18" is probably when the bench is fully slid forward and under the keyboard in a stored position.

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.

#2039836 - 02/26/13 08:09 PM Re: How far from front of keyboard to back of bench? [Re: Marjorie2]
Rich Galassini Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia/South Jersey
I am 6'3" and I can sit comfortably at my piano with the bench out approximately 2 feet, but we all sit differently. Why not sit at the bench in the showroom and measure where you are and where you feel comfortable? Then you will know.

Good Luck!
Dir. Line (215) 991-0834
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Get Cunningham Piano Email Updates

#2039838 - 02/26/13 08:11 PM Re: How far from front of keyboard to back of bench? [Re: Marjorie2]
BDB Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
What you need is the length of the piano, plus the distance from the front of the keys to the dampers, plus enough room for the technician to pull the action out that far. In a small piano, the middle measurement will be about 18", while a large piano, it could be 24". The latter measurement depends on the technician's middle!

#2039840 - 02/26/13 08:19 PM Re: How far from front of keyboard to back of bench? [Re: Minnesota Marty]
Marjorie2 Offline

Loc: United States
The salesman showed me at my house how he would play the piano and the back of the bench was just 18 inches from the front of the piano while he played. (He showed me on my current upright.) I don't know if he was really comfortable though! I have limited space and "every inch counts". I don't think I can get three feet, but it sounds like I should plan for more than 18 inches. Thank you for your help.

#2039901 - 02/26/13 10:45 PM Re: How far from front of keyboard to back of bench? [Re: Marjorie2]
Supply Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vancouver Island, BC, Canada
You may want to consider that after playing, you normally have to slide the bench back to get up and get out.

Piattino Caster Cups distributor

#2039919 - 02/26/13 11:55 PM Re: How far from front of keyboard to back of bench? [Re: Marjorie2]
Bosendorff Offline

At least 24". That's what I need to be comfortable playing.

#2039921 - 02/27/13 12:09 AM Re: How far from front of keyboard to back of bench? [Re: Marjorie2]
adak Offline

Loc: Canada
Originally Posted By: Marjorie2
The salesman showed me at my house how he would play the piano and the back of the bench was just 18 inches from the front of the piano while he played. (He showed me on my current upright.) I don't know if he was really comfortable though! I have limited space and "every inch counts". I don't think I can get three feet, but it sounds like I should plan for more than 18 inches. Thank you for your help.

This guy is just trying anything he can to get a sale. You deserve better. Don't let him sell you a piano you cannot properly use. Get a new salesman.

#2039941 - 02/27/13 01:16 AM Re: How far from front of keyboard to back of bench? [Re: Marjorie2]
Peter K. Mose Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto, Ontario
Marjorie, the answer actually depends a bit on the width of your chair or bench, but in any case 18 inches is not quite enough room for it. 24 inches would be ok as a minimum, and 30 inches or more would be optimal.

#2039949 - 02/27/13 01:42 AM Re: How far from front of keyboard to back of bench? [Re: BDB]
rlinkt Online   content

Loc: CA
Originally Posted By: BDB
What you need is the length of the piano, plus the distance from the front of the keys to the dampers, plus enough room for the technician to pull the action out that far. In a small piano, the middle measurement will be about 18", while a large piano, it could be 24". The latter measurement depends on the technician's middle!

Much truth in this insight. After watching my piano worked on (routine maintenance and addressing some minor issues with the action), I would strongly recommend allowing enough space for the tech to pull out the action and move it safely to his workbench.

#2040012 - 02/27/13 08:01 AM Re: How far from front of keyboard to back of bench? [Re: Marjorie2]
Morodiene Offline

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
In order to not feel cramped, you will want to have at least 3 feet I think. It's not necessarily for while you are playing, but just for some extra space. 2 feet would be the minimum, however.

What would be at the other end of the piano? A wall, or some furniture? If the latter, you may want to consider removing some things from your living room to make way. If it's another wall, there's not much you can do about that wink.
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#2040055 - 02/27/13 09:32 AM Re: How far from front of keyboard to back of bench? [Re: Supply]
Steve Cohen Offline

Loc: Maryland/DC/No. VA
Originally Posted By: Supply
You may want to consider that after playing, you normally have to slide the bench back to get up and get out.

Great point.

Consultant & Contributing Editor - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Jasons Music
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Since 1937.

www.jasonsmusic.com
My postings, unless stated otherwise, are my personal opinions, not those of my clients.

#2040085 - 02/27/13 10:41 AM Re: How far from front of keyboard to back of bench? [Re: Marjorie2]
Ataru074 Offline

Loc: Houston, TX
Consider also that if you have a wall immediately behind you, you'll get a lot of reflected sound back.... and in such of a cramped environment, playing becomes uncomfortable pretty quick... add space around for heavy draperies / sound panels / anything that can tame the sound of a grand if you will put it in a corner with -you- in the corner.

my 2c.
Mozart: Kv397
Beethoven: Op 14 #2
Prokofiev: Op.10
Bartok: Notturno
===============================================

#2040147 - 02/27/13 01:10 PM Re: How far from front of keyboard to back of bench? [Re: Ataru074]
ec Offline

Loc: Long Beach, CA
Remember too that different players will place the bench closer too or further back from the piano. I prefer sitting forward with the bench further back, and have played in homes where the wall was so close behind me that I felt squashed toward the keyboard. Go for a generous measurement here, both for comfort and for the sound reasons expressed earlier.

Chopin - Nocturne, Op.62, No. 2
Mazurka, Op. 41, No. 1 (C# minor)
Etude, Op. 25, No. 9
Polonaise, Op. 40, No. 2, C minor

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Mason & Hamlin- The Skinny?
by Miguel Rey
09/23/14 09:55 PM
crazy fingers, or mind of their own
by Barry1963
09/23/14 09:52 PM
Request opinion YC G-175
by ivoryguy36
09/23/14 08:31 PM
"Break Free" by Ariana Grande on Piano
by Zach Evans
09/23/14 06:37 PM
V-Grand delivery on Friday!
by TonyB
09/23/14 06:36 PM
Who's Online
123 registered (accordeur, ando, AEMontoya, Arizona Sage, 33 invisible), 1382 Guests and 13 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76297 Members
42 Forums
157717 Topics
2316677 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission