2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
36 members (Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, brdwyguy, busa, benkeys, Burkhard, Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, 5 invisible), 1,131 guests, and 293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#2039979 02/27/13 06:07 AM
JoelW Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
I know he was a Jazz pianist and not classical, but I thought the Pianist's Corner might be more knowledgeable nonetheless.

I'm researching some of Art Tatum's licks and runs. Was he the first to do this sort of thing? Who influenced him? Did he invent that style of piano playing?

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
I would think that Art Tatum would have been influenced by the pianists of the late 1910's such as: Eubie Blake, Charles "Luckey" Roberts and James P. Johnson.

B
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
B
Earl Hines.
He invented a lot of stuff himself but you can hear the evolution of some of the lines from Waller and many other players.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Dick Hyman( can sound amazingly like Tatum if he wants to) and others have a whole series of Youtube videos on the technical aspects of Tatums' playing:
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=art+tatum%27s+lessons&oq=art+tatum%27s+lessons&gs_l=youtube-reduced.12...7941.13560.0.16475.19.18.0.1.1.0.384.3375.6j3j4j5.18.0...0.0...1ac.1.UD9Sy3-0NbE

Check out this book available on Amazon and other places:
The Right Hand According to Tatum: A Guide to Tatum's Improvisational Techniques Plus 10 Transcribed Piano Solos by
Riccardo Scivales

Here is Dick Hyman playing like Tatum:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRgWECXLKY8

Here is the terrific classical pianist Mei Ting Sun playing Tatum:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iF9v4uzR4OA

Last edited by pianoloverus; 02/27/13 09:37 AM.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Mei Ting Not even close, more like a robot with no concept of jazz. Dick Hyman played very nice night & day difference from Ting. Playing "like Tatum" is more then just playing the notes Tatum wrote/improvised. Can anyone "play like" Horowitz? ?

Online Content
Originally Posted by Miguel Rey
Mei Ting Not even close, more like a robot with no concept of jazz. Dick Hyman played very nice night & day difference from Ting. Playing "like Tatum" is more then just playing the notes Tatum wrote/improvised. Can anyone "play like" Horowitz??
One should not expect a classical pianist like Mei Ting Sun to have the knowledge the jazz idiom or nuances of a very great jazz pianist like Dick Hyman who has spent at least 50 years playing jazz. That being said, I think Sun plays that piece better than many professional jazz pianists could and certainly better than most classical pianists could.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 02/27/13 11:34 AM.
B
B
I've heard more than a few classical pianists let their hair down and play jazz almost to the manner born when they felt like it. And some of them aren't the usual suspects (American or French, or African-American) that one might expect.

For instance, there's Dmitri Alexeev (who was a Leeds winner and has CDs of Rachmaninoff, Medtner and Shostakovich to his credit) accompanying Barbara Hendricks in spirituals, improvising the accompaniment in true jazz style. And I heard Denis Matsuev last year on a live radio program, improvising a highly virtuosic piece, throwing in Tatum-like runs and boogie-woogie, amongst other jazz idioms, into the mix. Art Tatum frankly couldn't hold a candle to his brilliant and intricate runs, even if he's arguably more idiomatic.

If music be the food of love, play on!
B
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by bennevis
Art Tatum frankly couldn't hold a candle to his brilliant and intricate runs, even if he's arguably more idiomatic.

Hmm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_lCL04CT_Q

L
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by beeboss
Earl Hines.

What a pleasure, just to read this name. Earl "Fatha" Hines.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Listen to some Andre Previn and tell me he can't play jazz.

"Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown."
David Loving, Waxahachie, Texas
B
B
While on the subject of classical pianists playing jazz to the manner born, how about the late, great Friedrich Gulda? (Also known for faking his own death, and playing in the buff..... wink )

http://youtu.be/hgyxtgHROxg

BTW, he also plays very classical Mozart, and powerful and virile Chopin.....

B
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
B
Previn plays some pretty good jazz but to compare him to Tatum is just absurd, I am sure he would be the first to admit it. Previn tells a good story about when Tatum met Horowitz which is quite illuminating.

you can read it here if you like...

http://tatumquotes.piczo.com/

"... from Andre Previn, who told the tale of how Horowitz was dazzled when he first heard Tatum at a nightclub and took his father-in-law Toscannini to see him the next night. Tatum and Horowitz became friends...
With Hofmann, Lhevinne and Godowsky still around, Horowitz had not quite yet reached the top of the pile, and so he took to making his own finger-wrenching transcriptions, using them as his finales. Audiences had already gone wild over the "Gypsy Theme from Carmen" and, especially, his "Stars and Stripes Forever"; Horowitz was in search now for a new, more effective theme. He chose Vincent Youman's "Tea for Two". Months and months of work produced a virtuoso showpiece so knotty that it took Horowitz several months more to prepare and learn it for performance. Always the conscientious artist, he wanted first to have the opinions of those whom he respected before taking the transcription to the public; of course he asked Tatum.
Up in his apartment, Horowitz sat himself at the piano and began to pay "Tea for Two" for his Jazz counterpart. Thunder and lightening, hail and brimstone, Horowitz finished the piece and looks up immediately at Tatum with an eager set of eyes.
"What do you think?" asks the Russian.
"Very good. I enjoyed it." comes the answer. Pause. Tatum continues: "Would you like to hear my version of 'Tea for Two'?"
"Certainly I would. Go ahead."
Tatum gets up and launches into the piece that has always been one of his specialties. Horowitz' mouth drops when he hears what he hears and as soon as the Jazzman finishes:
"My God! That was fantastic! Where did you get that transcription? You must give it to me!"
"Transcription?" answers Tatum, "That was no transcription. I was just improvising!"
Horowitz liked to play "Tea for Two" for his own pleasure; but he never played it in public."

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
You dont "play jazz" it plays you. I stand with my comments about Ting. Sounds like a typewriter.

pianoloverus says:
"One should not expect a classical pianist like Mei Ting Sun to have the knowledge the jazz idiom or nuances of a very great jazz pianist like Dick Hyman who has spent at least 50 years playing jazz. That being said, I think Sun plays that piece better than many professional jazz pianists could and certainly better than most classical pianists could."

Be that as it may you wont find many true "jazz pianists" trying to imitate anyone. That just wouldn't be jazz.

bennevis says:
"Art Tatum frankly couldn't hold a candle to his brilliant and intricate runs, even if he's arguably more idiomatic." -- Art Tatum was basically blind and never trained as a classical pianist as the others you mentioned. Had he done so you I would bet both pinkies that he would do more then just hold a candle.

All the comments by myself and others who really fall of deaf ears becuase we just don't carry the weight to make such critics of anyone. But...

Toscanini was once an hour late to his own performance in New York because he was stupefied listening to Tatum in a club. He said Tatum was the greatest piano player of all times.
---------------
Rachmaninov said that he understood what Tatum played, but was unable to do the same. And also 'If this man ever decides to play serious music we're all in trouble'
---------------
When a young scholar in music recognised the maestro, Arthur Rubinstein,in the murky recesses of a club, he asked "What are you doing in such a place?", Rubinstein simply answered, "Shhhh, I'm just listening to the greatest musician that ever was."
--------------
Oscar Levant tells of Gershwin finding Tatum in a Hollywood nightclub:
To George's great joy, Tatum played virtually the equivalent of Beethoven's thirty-two variations on his tune "Liza". Then George asked for more.

--------------
Finally from Andre Previn, who told the tale of how Horowitz was dazzled when he first heard Tatum at a nightclub and took his father-in-law Toscannini to see him the next night. Tatum and Horowitz became friends...

CASE CLOSED. so back to the original question. Who was Tatums influence? I'm sure there were many, including a host of great classical composers

Last edited by Miguel Rey; 02/27/13 04:49 PM.

Online Content
CASE CLOSED
Almost your entire post has nothing to do with my objection to your harsh criticism of Sun. No one's claiming Sun plays this piece as well as Tatum or that Tatum wasn't sensational. But your criticism of Sun, which I find somewhat mean spirited, is only personal opinion. And my thinking is that those most quick to criticize other pianists are often nowhere near as correct as they think.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 02/27/13 05:22 PM.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Didnt mean to be mean spirited but just felt inclined to comment on his not so great playing of Jazz. I would do the same if Mc Coy Tyner or Dave Brubeck had made a run at playing Lizst attempting to pass it off as classical piano.

For what it's worth I play classical music but love jazz almost just as much, just cant play it as I would like to .

Last edited by Miguel Rey; 02/27/13 05:54 PM.

T
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
JoelW -- In addition to some of the sources and influences already cited, I'd probably include Teddy Wilson and Willie ("The Lion")Smith as swing and stride influences, respectively. Truth of the matter is, though, jazz pianists of that time pretty much looked upon HIM as THE extraordinary influencer -- not only in a technical, but also a musical sense. When asked what he thought of Tatum when he first heard him, the pianist Jaki Byard said something to that effect that "I was just beyond stunned -- and not just by his phenomenal technical chops, but his ability to project complicated 13th relationships and modulations across the entire keyboard so effortlessly, transforming the theme across different keys and registers at lightning speed. It would've taken me a month or so to provide the variety he accomplished in three minutes of improvisation."

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I had never heard of Denis Matsuev before this thread and gave a quick listen to several pieces on YouTube. He was highly influenced by Oscar according to my ears.

Yamaha AvantGrand N1X | Roland RD 2000 | Sennheiser HD 598 headphones
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Fats Waller was once playing in a night club in Harlem, and another professional pianist dropped by. When he noticed the newcomer, Waller stopped playing, stood up and said, "Ladies and gentlemen, I'm a pretty good piano player... but God just walked into this club." He was talking about Art Tatum

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W

Oscar Levant tells of Gershwin finding Tatum in a Hollywood nightclub:
To George's great joy, Tatum played virtually the equivalent of Beethoven's thirty-two variations on his tune "Liza". Then George asked for more.

Oscar did have a way of telling a story...

When young, I was suitably astonished by Tatum recordings. But eventually it became clear that his bag of tricks was quite limited, and full of mannerisms and some very predictable tics. The virtuosity itself is still amazing, but as an improvisor, he is just not that interesting to me anymore. There is something rote and excessively formula-driven about it, to my ears.

Of course, it's easy to get spoiled by all the wonderful jazz improvisation that came after Tatum's era, and to make unfair comparisons. And it is easy to forget that some of the classical musicians gushing over his playing probably had fairly limited exposure to jazz improvisation at all.

But still, that virtuosity, on first encounter, in a live performance (after a drink or two on the listener's part) - holy smokes!!!! - I can easily see why people went nuts.

B
B
Originally Posted by wr

When young, I was suitably astonished by Tatum recordings. But eventually it became clear that his bag of tricks was quite limited, and full of mannerisms and some very predictable tics. The virtuosity itself is still amazing, but as an improvisor, he is just not that interesting to me anymore. There is something rote and excessively formula-driven about it, to my ears.

Of course, it's easy to get spoiled by all the wonderful jazz improvisation that came after Tatum's era, and to make unfair comparisons. And it is easy to forget that some of the classical musicians gushing over his playing probably had fairly limited exposure to jazz improvisation at all.

But still, that virtuosity, on first encounter, in a live performance (after a drink or two on the listener's part) - holy smokes!!!! - I can easily see why people went nuts.

I have to say I totally agree with you. I bought a big box of CDs containing all of Tatum's recordings over his whole career some time ago, and still haven't listened to every track - in fact, I only managed to listen to about two CDs' worth, dipping into each CD before I got bored. After one rendition of Tea for Two, you already know what to expect from what he's going to do with another 'improvisation'. And then you realize that a lot of so-called jazz improvisations contain mostly well-rehearsed formulaic patterns of runs etc, and harmonic progressions containing 'added-notes' which rapidly pall.

There is a reason why great music isn't improvised.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission