Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
Who's Online
60 registered (ando, AZNpiano, AndyP, 21 invisible), 1022 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#1803697 - 12/10/11 10:20 AM Re: Roland "Ivory Feel" key top wear - still an issue? [Re: bennevis]
Kona_V-Piano Offline

Originally Posted By: bennevis
My V-Piano was the first generation model and it developed roughness on its white keys after some months, but never bothered me (I've played lots of old acoustic pianos with ivory keys that are far, far worse - but the roughness helped my fingers to stay on the keys in the heat of performance grin), but when Roland took it away to install the Evolution upgrades, I mentioned the wear issue, and they replaced the keytops with what looks like identical 'Ivory-feel' material but which doesn't seem to wear at all, though I've been playing lots of harder stuff since then.

I have to say, my V-piano is a newer version shipped July 5, 2011 to Musicians Friend when I bought it and it has no issues with the keytops and I play pretty hard. I do try and wash my hands with regular soap before I play and I do keep my nails cut short..lol.. I don't have any Volcano's nearby so pumice isn't readily available lol. I do believe Roland has been able to find a supplier for the Ivory Keytops that don't wear as quickly as the originals.

So if the shipping date from Roland is after July 5, 2011, you can at least be assured that you have an updated ivory keytop that shouldn't wear as fast as the older ones. However Roland will still replace them if they do later on with another ivory set or plastic keys since this is a legitimate problem.

Edited by Kona_V-Piano (12/10/11 10:25 AM)

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Kawai Superb Stage Piano and Controller

Click Here

#2035444 - 02/18/13 07:08 PM Re: Roland "Ivory Feel" key top wear - still an issue? [Re: pv88]
benatural Offline

Hello! New user here. Not much of a pianist, but I use one regularly.

I've been in the market for a good stage piano for a while and have been strongly considering the RD700NX. I like the feel of the keybed and it has the right kind of features for my needs.

I finally had an opportunity to play one at GC and was able to compare it to similar keyboards in this range. I noticed the keys of the floor model were dirty, scratched, and had small "hairline" fractures everywhere. They also had a V-Piano (which apparenly has the same keybed) and I noticed the same thing, which prompted me to look into it a bit more. Glad I did because lo and behold, complaints of key wear seems to be fairly common with RD700G/NX keyboards.

So I just wanted to resurect this thread to see if any pianoworld.com RD700NX users are still experiencing this issue? Some posts that say the issue still exists, while other say that Roland has addressed it... Also, if the issue does still exists, is it more of a cosmetic thing? Or does it affect functionality too?

Any advice you guys can offer would be greatly appreciated! This is the one thing that's keeping me from taking the plunge and purchasing this keyboard. Everything about it seems to fit my needs, but I just know I would be pretty disappointed if the thing slowly disintegrated beneath my fingertips over the years...

Thanks in advance for your time!

#2037502 - 02/22/13 12:43 PM Re: Roland "Ivory Feel" key top wear - still an issue? [Re: pv88]
ZeroZero Offline

Loc: UK
I have been playing my rd700nx at least four hours a day (often triple this) for a few years now, and nothing.

Seriously therev is nothing to worry about

#2037715 - 02/22/13 08:43 PM Re: Roland "Ivory Feel" key top wear - still an issue? [Re: ZeroZero]
Amaruk Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: New England, USA
Originally Posted By: ZeroZero

Seriously there is nothing to worry about

+1

No wear on my RD700NX or LX-15 either.

#2038262 - 02/24/13 02:31 AM Re: Roland "Ivory Feel" key top wear - still an issue? [Re: pv88]
Pete the bean Online   content

Loc: Canada
I would not say there is nothing to worry about. I had my RD 700 NX keyboard replaced in October under warranty. I wash my hands regularly. 4 months later there are again signs of wear. I have never had this problem with any other keyboard since 1974. Roland has not resolved this issue as far as I am concerned.

#2040001 - 02/27/13 07:15 AM Re: Roland "Ivory Feel" key top wear - still an issue? [Re: benatural]
Per Baekgaard Offline

Loc: Danmark
I bought mine somewhere in 2011, IIRC.

It had issues and developed scratches, so I got the keybed replaced. Roland here are really offering top notch service; I drove in and got it fixed while they were serving me coffee and biscuits and let me loose in their demo room :-)

I was able to chose to have it replaced with a version having different keytops. They are not as open as the original ones.

They have not shown similar signs of wear during the last year or so; they just look like slightly more shiny due to finger oil.

The surface does indeed feel slightly different (I was told so before Roland did the swap), but it plays equally well ;-)

-- Per.

#2040044 - 02/27/13 08:58 AM Re: Roland "Ivory Feel" key top wear - still an issue? [Re: Pete the bean]
bennevis Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Pete the bean
I would not say there is nothing to worry about. I had my RD 700 NX keyboard replaced in October under warranty. I wash my hands regularly. 4 months later there are again signs of wear. I have never had this problem with any other keyboard since 1974. Roland has not resolved this issue as far as I am concerned.

You should get them replaced with keys that don't have the 'non-slip' coating, which is what abrades off (depending on how you play, how much your fingernails protrude beyond the pulps etc). The original 'ivory-feel' off-white coating feels nice, but frankly the replacement Roland gave me feels just as good, though it looks whiter and, I suppose, less ivory-like.

But we want to save our elephants, don't we? wink

#2047395 - 03/13/13 12:57 AM Re: Roland "Ivory Feel" key top wear - still an issue? [Re: pv88]

So I brought the RD 700 back and Roland will be replacing the keyboard a second time on warranty. I was told by the tech that the keyboard was replaced the first time by a new upgraded plastic. I am one of the unfortunate few that this new plastic reacts to. No one mentioned that I need to do a better job of clipping my fingernails.
I am getting second replacement keyboard on warranty and I am thinking I need to sell the Rd before I melt the next keyboard.

#2060110 - 04/05/13 11:54 PM Re: Roland "Ivory Feel" key top wear - still an issue? [Re: pv88]

I have ordered a Yamaha Cp1 and will be trading in the Roland RD700. The Cp1 should be in next week.

#2060197 - 04/06/13 05:38 AM Re: Roland "Ivory Feel" key top wear - still an issue? [Re: Pete the bean]
CarloPiano Offline

My HP 305 keyboard got wear only 4-5 months since I purchased it. As it was still on warranty I asked for a replacement (I waited some months before calling the tech support staff, only God knows why...). In less than one day I had my piano back with a brand new keyboard. I think this was almost 4 months ago and today there isn't any sign of wear so I guess Roland solved the problem completely. As Bennevis noted, the surface looks to be a little different, it looks brighter and without the non slip coating. Other than that, it feels very good too.

#2060213 - 04/06/13 06:39 AM Re: Roland "Ivory Feel" key top wear - still an issue? [Re: Pete the bean]
EssBrace Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Suffolk, United Kingdom
I have ordered a Yamaha Cp1 and will be trading in the Roland RD700. The Cp1 should be in next week.

Please let us know what you think of the CP1...

#2069314 - 04/23/13 12:11 PM Re: Roland "Ivory Feel" key top wear - still an issue? [Re: EssBrace]

Originally Posted By: EssBrace

Please let us know what you think of the CP1...

I don't want to throw the thread off topic so I will send you a PM

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
Christmas Lights at Piano World Headquarters in Maine 2014
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Is Yelp reliable for evaluating piano stores?
by Le Chiffre
Today at 02:08 AM
Guide to Teaching
by Arghhh
Today at 12:39 AM
Making a New York Steinway sound like a Hamburg Steinway
by nphase
Yesterday at 10:24 PM
Merry Christmas from Brazil! Feliz Natal!!
by Piano_Brazil
Yesterday at 09:19 PM
Rzewski: De Profundis
by pianoloverus
Yesterday at 09:17 PM
Forum Stats
77375 Members
42 Forums
160031 Topics
2350057 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission