Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2040051 - 02/27/13 09:23 AM Disappearance of home piano
FormerlyFlute Offline

Loc: Maryland
I'm getting ready to sell my home and had the realtor's house cleaner over to clean before my open house. She raved about my piano and said that in over 15 years of cleaning houses, she has never seen a piano in any of the homes she has cleaned. So sad...

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#2040067 - 02/27/13 10:03 AM Re: Disappearance of home piano [Re: FormerlyFlute]
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
In more wealthy circles having a grand piano in the home is a must-have for decor. Maybe the kids will give it a try, too, but that's just an added bonus.
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#2040073 - 02/27/13 10:18 AM Re: Disappearance of home piano [Re: FormerlyFlute]
FormerlyFlute Offline

I think that idea has come and go. This lady cleans for some very wealthy folks. I work with some affluent scientists, none of whom own a piano. The idea that piano lessons are a must for a well rounded education seems to be held with the Asian families around here though. One of my Indian colleagues even had his deaf daughter take lessons for a few years.

#2040080 - 02/27/13 10:31 AM Re: Disappearance of home piano [Re: FormerlyFlute]
CStrong73 Offline

Loc: Michigan, USA
Interesting....there are still a lot of homes around here with pianos in them. Be they old locally made uprights, older consoles, or something more extravagant.

I know at least three families with older pianos that their kids are or did learn on. And the wealthy family I work for have a beaufiful grand, even though no one in the family plays. I guess they fall into the "must have for decor" category. Although theirs is a player, so they use it when entertaining. The previous owners of our home had a player grand in it, too.

My mom at one point had her own upright and their church's baby grand both in her living room at once. smile

#2040087 - 02/27/13 10:50 AM Re: Disappearance of home piano [Re: FormerlyFlute]
Rickster Online   content

Loc: Georgia, USA
From the title of the thread, I thought someone had stolen your piano...

Glad to hear it is still there. smile

Rick

#2040089 - 02/27/13 11:02 AM Re: Disappearance of home piano [Re: FormerlyFlute]
FormerlyFlute Offline

What a thought! I suspect no one would challenge people taking a piano out of a home. Wouldn't occur to them that it was a theft. It could happen....

#2040114 - 02/27/13 12:03 PM Re: Disappearance of home piano [Re: FormerlyFlute]
Morodiene Offline

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
Originally Posted By: FormerlyFlute
I think that idea has come and go. This lady cleans for some very wealthy folks. I work with some affluent scientists, none of whom own a piano. The idea that piano lessons are a must for a well rounded education seems to be held with the Asian families around here though. One of my Indian colleagues even had his deaf daughter take lessons for a few years.

Also in Jewish and Italian communities like in Boca where I teach.
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#2040211 - 02/27/13 02:39 PM Re: Disappearance of home piano [Re: FormerlyFlute]
4evrBeginR Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: California
The super rich aside, I think today's affluent families' biggest spend for their homes is the home theater. I don't mean the $500 all-in-one home theater kit from a big box store. I mean these are often, though not necessarily, a dedicated threater room with an 80 - 100" screen, and speakers and gear that's easily cost somewhere in the high 5 figures. These home theater rooms also double for video gaming. This has replaced the piano as the central focus for home entertainment. For most of my co-workers, the piano is not part of their consciousness as being part of their homes.

The personal computers, tablets and smartphones we now use 24 hours a day also contribute to take the focus away from playing musical instruments. People are more interested in watching every episode of Breaking Bad or some such thing until they fall into a coma than learning music.

#2040219 - 02/27/13 02:47 PM Re: Disappearance of home piano [Re: FormerlyFlute]

The RPT (piano tech) in my area tells me that not many of his clients own grand pianos in his service area, with the exception of a few churches and community colleges. He said you have to get closer to the Atlanta or Macon area before you find many grand pianos in homes.

I felt really blessed when he told me this, to know that I have a wonderful, brand-name semi-concert grand piano in my home. I just wish I could actually play it... smile

Rick

#2040303 - 02/27/13 05:08 PM Re: Disappearance of home piano [Re: FormerlyFlute]
pianoloverus Online   content

Loc: New York City
I think it would be interesting to know the total number of acoustic pianos plus digitals/hybrids purchased in 2012 compared to 2002, 1992, etc. While the total number of acoustics bought has certainly decreased I think it's possible that if one includes digitals the total is not that much lower than previous decades.

Any dealers or industry professionals know these figures?

#2040331 - 02/27/13 06:10 PM Re: Disappearance of home piano [Re: FormerlyFlute]
Bosendorff Offline

#2040337 - 02/27/13 06:32 PM Re: Disappearance of home piano [Re: FormerlyFlute]
adak Offline

Loc: Canada
Proud digital piano owner. Who wants to play piano at home anyways? Better to play it on the stage!

#2040339 - 02/27/13 06:32 PM Re: Disappearance of home piano [Re: FormerlyFlute]
Scott Hamlin Offline
500 Post Club Member

Well if you watch sitcoms, it seems
that every house in the US has a
piano in the living room.

#2040420 - 02/27/13 10:13 PM Re: Disappearance of home piano [Re: Scott Hamlin]
ec Offline

Loc: Long Beach, CA
Watch HGTV's Selling New York and Selling LA, or flip through an upscale interior decoration mag. Most pricy condos and apartments feature the iconic grand piano as status symbol (even if no one ever plays it). I was raised in a modest bungalow where every penny counted, but my parents somehow managed to buy a brand new walnut console piano when I was 10.

My folks are in their late 80s now, but that little piano still sits in their living room. Without it, I probably wouldn't have turned out to be the music lover I am today ♪ ♪ ♪

Chopin - Nocturne, Op.62, No. 2
Mazurka, Op. 41, No. 1 (C# minor)
Etude, Op. 25, No. 9
Polonaise, Op. 40, No. 2, C minor

#2041009 - 02/28/13 08:07 PM Re: Disappearance of home piano [Re: 4evrBeginR]
Mark VC Offline

Originally Posted By: 4evrBeginR
The super rich aside, I think today's affluent families' biggest spend for their homes is the home theater.

And it's a damned shame. TV is passive entertainment. Playing a musical instrument is a hundred times more engaging, and ultimately far more satisfying. I know I'm preaching to the choir.

#2041022 - 02/28/13 08:44 PM Re: Disappearance of home piano [Re: FormerlyFlute]
Minnesota Marty Online   content

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014

Loc: Rochester MN
I think a home theater would be great. A big, shiny, concert grand opening to comfortable seats. Oh wait, that's a recital hall. Let's see if we can make it become 'all the rage!'

If not, a nice console or studio will do just fine. Every home should have one.

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.

#2041081 - 02/28/13 10:46 PM Re: Disappearance of home piano [Re: FormerlyFlute]
musica71 Offline

Loc: Bend, Or.
What about that story about the Kawai Concert Grand stolen from a fancy apartment in Manhattan by someone who had leased the Apartment?? Was just recently on Pianist's Corner I think. It fortunately was recovered.

#2041140 - 03/01/13 02:29 AM Re: Disappearance of home piano [Re: Rickster]
Dave Horne Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vught, The Netherlands
Originally Posted By: Rickster
From the title of the thread, I thought someone had stolen your piano...

Glad to hear it is still there. smile

Rick

smile

mp3\wav files

AvantGrand N3, CP5

#2041233 - 03/01/13 08:28 AM Re: Disappearance of home piano [Re: FormerlyFlute]
malkin Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: *sigh* Salt Lake City
I believe that the number of pianos in homes varies by community. Here it is pretty normal.

If the house cleaner works mainly with the realtor, her sample may be biased toward more mobile families who would probably be less likely to have a piano.

#2041311 - 03/01/13 11:42 AM Re: Disappearance of home piano [Re: FormerlyFlute]
Annitenth Offline

Loc: Texas
When I was growing up in a small town in the South in the 50s and 60s, almost everyone had at least an old untuned upright in the living room, and little girls all had to suffer through at least a couple of years of lessons until the parents realized they had no talent. Of my closest 3 or 4 friends, all have pianos; my two grown daughters have pianos. So maybe all is not lost quite yet. smile

However, it does seem that affordable new homes do not have a good place to put a piano (just as they did not have a good place to put a TV in the late 40s and early 50s).

#2041543 - 03/01/13 06:18 PM Re: Disappearance of home piano [Re: FormerlyFlute]
RickG1 Offline

Loc: TX
I agree with so many here. Growing up in the 50's and 60's, it seemed like all our friends and family had a piano. Maybe most were the ubiquitous Wurlitzer spinet or Acrosonic spinet or console (hardly anyone with a grand!).
Now, everyone seems to have the "big screen". Well, we have the 2 "big pianos", a console and a 24" inch HDTV. That is plenty for us. LOL

BTW, Rick, you CAN play the piano. Your videos prove it!

#2041639 - 03/01/13 11:22 PM Re: Disappearance of home piano [Re: FormerlyFlute]
Jeff Clef Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Jose, CA
"...He said you have to get closer to the Atlanta or Macon area before you find many grand pianos in homes..."

So that was my problem--- we lived too far from Atlanta, and even Macon. There were quite a few uprights in homes when I was a sprout, but only one grand (the choir director's). No, not even my piano teacher.

In my immediate family, three-quarters have and play a musical instrument, be it a piano or a collection of nice guitars (some have both) or other wind and string instruments. Most of them sing, too.

Dr. Mendel's lottery has rolled out other gifts for the other one-quarter.

I couldn't estimate the trendline of relative abundance of pianos in households with cleaning ladies, past and present, but I do know that there are some people that you just can't keep them from getting their hands on a piano. To them, it matters little whether it is expensive enough to count as a status symbol--- they've gotta play.

People--- I couldn't count anymore--- come into my living room and, seeing the grand piano, ask, "Oh--- do you play?" Maybe they are trying to gain entree into my home, for a cleaning lady.

#2041783 - 03/02/13 09:48 AM Re: Disappearance of home piano [Re: FormerlyFlute]
malkin Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: *sigh* Salt Lake City
In many ways, Utah is not entirely unlike the rest of the US in the 50s and 60s.

#2041838 - 03/02/13 12:19 PM Re: Disappearance of home piano [Re: FormerlyFlute]
Nash. Piano Rescue Offline

Loc: East Nashville,TN Scottsville...
I noticed the OP was from Maryland. Should be lots of pianos up there. We went up there November 2011 to pick up 50 + pianos from one retiring rebuilder.

I can tell you this through documentation, the cities with the most pianos per population are Washington DC , Westminister VA, Nashville TN and Los Angeles CA.

Nashville is actually pretty small population wise as in about 700 thousand but my numbers say more than 1/3 of the populus have pianos and that number may be closer to 50%. I've gone to some homes and seen as many as 8 pianos in one house but they were recording artists. 8 Pianos and an empty fridge.

Compare that to a city of the same size like Jacksonville Fl, similar population numbers and not much piano interest there but they have the Beach and Palm trees for distraction.
East Nashville
Bowling Green, KY
Scottsville KY.
Chamber of Commerce
Member/Sponsor

Putting inspiration in the hands of area musicians
Through restoration/renovation

#2041875 - 03/02/13 02:18 PM Re: Disappearance of home piano [Re: FormerlyFlute]
CHAS Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Ski Country of Colorado
A recent TV news feature stated that piano sales are down in the United States, but up in the rest of the world.
No idea what their source was.

#2041914 - 03/02/13 03:51 PM Re: Disappearance of home piano [Re: FormerlyFlute]

Originally Posted By: RickG1
BTW, Rick, you CAN play the piano. Your videos prove it!

Gee, thanks, Rick! (Nice name, by-the-way smile )

I suppose I can play a little, but I've only scratched the surface, so to speak... I have my own style of playing that is somewhat unique, I suppose.

What is amazing to me is how much enjoyment I get from my pianos. It's certainly a great stress reliever, as well as good medicine to help any and all conditions, mental and physical. (Keeps me away from drugs and alcohol too smile )

I just wish more people realized how much fun and enjoyment a piano can be... smile

Rick

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
124 registered (anotherscott, 36251, AndrewJCW, 31 invisible), 1379 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76001 Members
42 Forums
157156 Topics
2308147 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
High pitched sound from Yamaha Clavinova PF P-100
by Shiverca
08/30/14 10:43 AM
Rusty strings- a silly question?
by PhilipInChina
08/30/14 08:59 AM
Yamaha "reconditioned in Japan"
by NanatoFour
08/30/14 08:44 AM
New start - wish me good luck:)
by FarmGirl
08/29/14 11:21 PM
Automatic Piano Players...
by tksler
08/29/14 10:33 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission