2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
73 members (Carey, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, 36251, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 13 invisible), 2,110 guests, and 299 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Monday night and Tuesday morning I practiced tuning the Mighty Lester, my beloved 1940 36" spinet. I'm using a Sanderson Accutuner with Bill Bremmer's EBVT III settings.

Recorded this last night when it was quiet, after the snowplows finished making noise:

Also, here's a bonus track, (recorded last night, as well)... Not quite ready for prime time, but I got it all in one take! grin

"Lo-nah (Fox-Trot): A Beautiful Indian Serenade" from The Gem Dance Folio for 1927.

These recordings are dressed up with effects, used judiciously for your listening pleasure. smile

Enjoy!

--Andy

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Really nice, Andy! I enjoy your easy listening type of pieces. Music doesn't always have to get the adrenaline pumping to be special.

Patty

A tired dog is a good dog.

Perzina GP-187
Kawai CP209

D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
If you had a tip jar, I would have filled it. I've heard many a professional lounge pianist butcher these pieces. Your playing was just wonderful. Thank you for sharing. smile

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.
T
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
A nice rendition of "Smoke Gets in Your Eyes", Andy!. This is for me a good example of what the original song accompaniment will reveal in expression when it is played "straight", with no "jazzification". The pizzicato in the bass line adds a certain poignancy that IMO beautifully underscores the lyric. And, as with so many Kern songs, the "bridge" material, with its shift in key and texture, is just elegantly conceived, again encapsulating the content of the lyric. Along with Rodgers, Gershwin, Arlen, and Porter, Kern was unquestionably one of the American "Schuberts" -- and I would say the one closest to Schubert in his approach to song composition.

I've never heard the Fox-Trot before -- for me, it's quite reminiscent of Victor's Herbert's "Indian Summer". It was written in the late '20s, but hearkens back to the '10s and '00s for me.

Thanks for sharing this!

btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Thanks for the reminder bear ... this is my 'party piece' ... so I proved it by dashing out the Kern classic on my Grotrian Steinweg ... even recorded myself to remind myself where I need a little smoothing out of the tempo ... but after some 5 attempts, I think I can perform in front of the grandchildren ... it's when my dog does a wolf howl that I know it's not the piano that needs tuning.

Thanks again for the lead ... this was my first tune
in my repertoire ... next came Beethoven's Ye Olde Moonlight.

4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Derulux
If you had a tip jar, I would have filled it. [...]

@Derelux: Since our economy is largely imaginary, anyway, I gratefully acknowledge your generous tip! grin

@Tim: I always enjoy learning from your comments! You know, I am smitten by the American pop music of the 20s and 30s. So much of it is so finely crafted! I was truly struck by the poetic efficiency on the sheet of "Smoke gets in your eyes." It's almost like conversational haiku in song. crazy smile

@PattyP: Thank you for that! I decided a while ago to leave the adreneline pumping to the virtuosos! wink (BTW, happy birthday!)

@btb: Wow! You made tracks pretty fast! Is it the same arrangement?

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.
btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
It's identical bear ... what a treat ... I'm presently busy with that other classic
"Lovely To Look At" ... aren't we lucky?

Kind regards, btb

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission