2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, 6 invisible), 1,935 guests, and 310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2040386 02/27/13 10:07 PM
M
MarkAW Offline OP
OP Offline
M
I am still working on Mozart's 545. I might be working on this for a long long time.

I am starting to get the timing down with the metronome but the trills are a problem.

The very first trill in the piece is tough, but later when the same melody modulates into F the trill is on a B flat which is even harder.

Any ideas on good methods to master this trill?

MarkAW #2040421 02/27/13 11:14 PM
D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
What sort of trouble are you having? Can you describe it?

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.
Derulux #2040438 02/27/13 11:51 PM
M
MarkAW Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by Derulux

With the B flat finger placement is an issue. And how many keystrokes should one get here?

I am also having trouble staying in tempo with the trill.

Last edited by MarkAW; 02/27/13 11:53 PM.
MarkAW #2040447 02/28/13 12:09 AM
D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by MarkAW
Originally Posted by Derulux

With the B flat finger placement is an issue. And how many keystrokes should one get here?

I am also having trouble staying in tempo with the trill.

I'm not sure I understand your specific issues well enough to offer detailed advice. If you can post a video, that may help.

The most common issue with trills that I see is a lack of independence. The fingers mash up, fail to release a note, and hence fail to play the note on the next repetition. Characteristic feeling is a sense of "stiffness" like you can't move your fingers. They feel sluggish or stuck in place.

This is a coordination issue. Without getting into which specific technique trouble may be causing it, since like I said, I'm not sure I understand your specific issue, what I can say is that slow practice, one note at a time, and using a metronome can help. You also need to line up the notes of the trill with the notes of the LH. That will also help determine/internalize the correct number of repetitions.

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.
MarkAW #2040460 02/28/13 01:03 AM
M
MarkAW Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Where should your fingers strike the keys? And how many times?

Last edited by MarkAW; 02/28/13 01:41 AM.
MarkAW #2040536 02/28/13 04:59 AM
B

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014
1000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014
1000 Post Club Member
B
I just watched this last night for a piece I've been learning and if I remember correctly, Josh Wright referenced k545 specifically in his video. Here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANaWudjhJkw

Bobpickle #2040760 02/28/13 01:59 PM
F
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
F
without posting a video so some of the good players can address your problems, I would go with ....

Originally Posted by Bobpickle
I just watched this last night for a piece I've been learning and if I remember correctly, Josh Wright referenced k545 specifically in his video. Here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANaWudjhJkw

Bob, you beat me to it!

I have used this technique for trills when I find them, and currently using it for the one r.h. trill in the Mozart K576 (a BEAST!) and the r.h. trill at the end of the Debussy Suite Bergamasque Prelude.

It is a terrific way to improve trills.

I will add to this, however, that after each short speed burst, you check in with the body and totally relax your arm before the next 'burst'.

In the online publication at

www.pianofundamentals.com

there is a section for trills @ http://www.pianofundamentals.com/book/en/1.III.3.1
, but this incorporates ideas and concepts introduced earlier in the same publication.

enjoy the journey!

Forrest

Mompou, Cancion y Danza #6
some Chopin, some Bach (always), Debussy
My beliefs are only that unless I can prove them.
MarkAW #2041039 02/28/13 10:27 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by MarkAW
Where should your fingers strike the keys?

Since one finger is on a black key, the entire hand must be moved in toward the fallboard so that the second finger maintains its curved position. It shouldn't stretch out to reach the key. So to minimize the distance you move the hand in, only move so far that the second finger hits the flat top part of the black key (not on the sloped part of the key). Does this answer the question?

Then for fingering, if I use 2-3 on B-flat and C, I find I have to spread apart my fingers slightly which is detrimental to having easy motion. So I find it easier to trill here with 2-4. That also allows the hand to be marginally sloped down from the black key which gives the second finger more freedom to move without it feeling squished and stuck on the key. Note that you're not actually twisting the hand, it's just what naturally happens in this position.

In the video mentioned above, Josh says the trill should be independent of the left hand. I think this unnecessarily complicates things and you shouldn't have to worry about that at this point. If you can, do two RH notes for each LH note. If you think that sounds too slow for a trill, try 3 RH notes to each LH note. Also strive for dynamic evenness while you do that, as putting an emphasis on every two notes in the trill will make it not sound like a trill anymore.

Professional pianist and piano teacher.
Arghhh #2042130 03/03/13 03:55 AM
C
8000 Post Club Member
Online Content
8000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by Arghhh
. . .
In the video mentioned above, Josh says the trill should be independent of the left hand. I think this unnecessarily complicates things and you shouldn't have to worry about that at this point. If you can, do two RH notes for each LH note. If you think that sounds too slow for a trill, try 3 RH notes to each LH note. Also strive for dynamic evenness while you do that, as putting an emphasis on every two notes in the trill will make it not sound like a trill anymore.

I think Josh is actually playing _triplets_ in his "slow" trill for K 545 -- that is, three RH notes against 2 LH notes. His 'fast' trill is two RH notes against 1 LH note.

It's an interesting way to keep the piece's tempo fairly quick, without bumping up against one's personal "trill speed limit".

. Charles

Last edited by Charles Cohen; 03/03/13 03:56 AM.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / Roland Gaia / Pianoteq

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission