Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2040859 - 02/28/13 03:37 PM Side bars on the straight side of the piano
Jorge Andrade Offline

Does anyone know the actual purpose of the 2 parallel bars on the exterior straight side of the piano, I thought it was for protecting the piano while moving, but when the movers moved my piano those were the first thing they took off. If I remove them, would it affect the sound or anything? I just don't like the looks of those two bars on the side, some Bosies have them and some don't.

(ad PTG 568) Win a Year Journal Subscription
PTG 57th Annual Convention - Atlanta
#2040862 - 02/28/13 03:40 PM Re: Side bars on the straight side of the piano [Re: Jorge Andrade]
David Jenson Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
The movers didn't know what they are for. They keep the lid overhang from hitting the skid board during a move. They're only needed if the piano is moved a lot.
-----

#2040865 - 02/28/13 03:46 PM Re: Side bars on the straight side of the piano [Re: David Jenson]
Jorge Andrade Offline

You might be totally right in the sense that those guys didn't know what they were doing, they actually dropped the piano right there in my living room, IN FRONT OF ME!! Thank God Bosies are build like MAC trucks (the older ones anyway) and there was no real damage done to the piano, except for some ugly scuffing from the metal buckles on the rope thing they use to secure the piano to the board but it's under the piano, you can't really see it, I have it all on video, one day when I have the courage to watch that again I'll post it here for your all amazement.

#2040908 - 02/28/13 04:52 PM Re: Side bars on the straight side of the piano [Re: Jorge Andrade]
Silverwood Pianos Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vancouver B. C. Canada

Well, to be fair, the instruments are heavy, a difficult shape, and moved by humans, who are subject to error from time to time.
Every piano mover I know of has had a claim at some point. It is part of the nature of piano moving.
http://www.facebook.com/SilverwoodPianosDotCom
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."

#2040917 - 02/28/13 05:11 PM Re: Side bars on the straight side of the piano [Re: Jorge Andrade]
Zeno Wood Offline

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Were they real piano movers, or just regular movers who didn't have a clue like pretty much every mover out there who thinks they can move a piano?

That is to say, often if you ask a mover if they move pianos, they will say yes. That doesn't mean they know how, just that they want to get paid to move stuff.

#2040918 - 02/28/13 05:18 PM Re: Side bars on the straight side of the piano [Re: Jorge Andrade]
Jon Page Offline

Loc: Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Massac...
It is my understanding that the bars are there to store the piano on its side without the need for a board.

Jon Page
Piano technician/tuner
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Massachusetts, USA
http://www.pianocapecod.com

#2040924 - 02/28/13 05:23 PM Re: Side bars on the straight side of the piano [Re: Jorge Andrade]
BDB Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
They also protect the piano if there is the possibility of someone rolling it into a wall. I came across that a while ago. Unfortunately, the piano is in an extremely historical building, and repairing the wall will be a chore! But the piano is okay.

#2040974 - 02/28/13 06:58 PM Re: Side bars on the straight side of the piano [Re: Jon Page]
Supply Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vancouver Island, BC, Canada
Originally Posted By: Jon Page
It is my understanding that the bars are there to store the piano on its side without the need for a board.

Hey everybody, Welcome Jon Page to Piano World! Jon, you are in for a roller coaster ride!

Piattino Caster Cups distributor

#2040992 - 02/28/13 07:21 PM Re: Side bars on the straight side of the piano [Re: Supply]
Zeno Wood Offline

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Like!

#2041069 - 02/28/13 10:19 PM Re: Side bars on the straight side of the piano [Re: Zeno Wood]
Jorge Andrade Offline

They are real piano movers, all the guy does is move pianos, so I don't know what happened, the piano went from Atlanta - GA all the way to Las Vegas, without any issues and then when my cruise ship (wife's lovely adjective to my musical baby) was laying on its side and he grabbed one side to lower it, boom! The piano tilted and hit the wall, thankfully (I guess) I had a pair of sturdy metal chairs and a big clay vase on that side for decoration and they absorbed the impact and stopped the piano (my wife turned some of the chunks of the vase into yard decoration - it actually worked very nicely) from hitting the wall harder, there are of course some nicks, scratches but it's an older piano that was never privy of a good life to begin with so the case already wasn't in the best shape, structurally it's ok and I am now the guardian of the Bosie and my purpose in life is to spoil that instrument rotten (in a good sense of course)

#2041071 - 02/28/13 10:21 PM Re: Side bars on the straight side of the piano [Re: Jon Page]
Jorge Andrade Offline

Welcome Jon and thanks for your reply. I guess from what everyone is saying then I should be ok to remove those bars, but they are screwed in so I'm wondering what to do about the holes, I guess I could plug them with some kind of plastic cap, any ideas?

#2041073 - 02/28/13 10:26 PM Re: Side bars on the straight side of the piano [Re: Jorge Andrade]
BDB Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
If you have them, you might as well keep them. They are an extra cost option, after all.

#2041074 - 02/28/13 10:29 PM Re: Side bars on the straight side of the piano [Re: Silverwood Pianos]
Jorge Andrade Offline

What are you talking about, umans never make mistaques! wink

#2041209 - 03/01/13 07:16 AM Re: Side bars on the straight side of the piano [Re: Jorge Andrade]
Jon Page Offline

Loc: Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Massac...
Thanks Jurgen and Jorge for the welcome. Removing the bars not only will leave screw holes but the outline of the bar because it has imprinted into the finish. It might even pull finish off as you pry it away from the case. So be prepared to do major filling, sanding and refinishing on the side.

Leave it, it's not a fault, it's a feature. If you ever need to store it on its side, you'll be appreciative of the fact that you can leave it on a dolly and not require a board.

Jon Page
Piano technician/tuner
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Massachusetts, USA
http://www.pianocapecod.com

#2041237 - 03/01/13 08:36 AM Re: Side bars on the straight side of the piano [Re: Jorge Andrade]
Olek Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: France
"concert bars" ... in hard wood (the piano is usually seen the other side )

#2041351 - 03/01/13 01:01 PM Re: Side bars on the straight side of the piano [Re: Olek]
Jorge Andrade Offline

Yes, I did not see it had the bars until it got delivered and they started 'attaching' them, I'll follow the advice and leave them alone.

#2041509 - 03/01/13 05:20 PM Re: Side bars on the straight side of the piano [Re: Jorge Andrade]
Supply Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vancouver Island, BC, Canada
If you find the bars more unsightly than the screw holes, then take them off again. Store them (and their screws!), and if the piano ever needs to be put in its side, you can simply attach them again. If the holes bother you, then leave the bars on. Pretty simple, viewed from here, a few thousand miles away.... wink

Piattino Caster Cups distributor

#2041548 - 03/01/13 06:26 PM Re: Side bars on the straight side of the piano [Re: Jorge Andrade]
David Jenson Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
I admire your "farsightedness" Jurgen. laugh
-----

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
79 registered (AndrewJCW, Art_Vandelay, a-z0-9, angga888, 18 invisible), 1177 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75569 Members
42 Forums
156242 Topics
2294614 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Will a Damp-Chaser fill in the cracks in a sound-board?
by Paul678
Today at 12:36 AM
The Mason & Hamlin Tension Resonator: Help or Hype???
by Paul678
Today at 12:06 AM
What piano do i have?
by allana
Yesterday at 11:43 PM
Moving to Intermediate Level
by Gisele
Yesterday at 11:15 PM
Mixer
by doremi
Yesterday at 10:48 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission