2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (Barry_Braksick, danno858, BadSanta, danbot3, Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, 12 invisible), 1,830 guests, and 277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 11 of 12 1 2 9 10 11 12
I
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I
26. Sand Tiger - Shadow Amazing you've been playing keyboards for 11 months! You created lots of repetition in the left hand to emphasize the point in your story. Keep up the good work.

27. PhilzPiano - Prelude no. 1 in C major PhilzPiano, a very nice go at this Prelude. You did a great job of playing the notes. Evenness of 16ths and dynamics are two excellent things on which to focus. Great work and I look forward to hearing it as it matures under your fingers.

28. Daren - Quanta Qualia A very slow, contemplative piece very sensitively played. It's clear you are playing with a great deal of care and the result is beautiful.

29. timmyab - Allemande from French Suite no 4 What a fine pair of renditions! The first one brings out the upper voice quite nicely. The second faster brings out some harmonies I did not hear with your first rendition. I prefer the second one with limited pedal as it the music speaks for itself and you bring that out most excellently.

30. Peterws - Regrets. I have a Few . . Great ballad, Peter! Your layering of the voices is nicely done. Whatever motivated you to create this, hopefully morphs into further fine future compositions.

31. MaryBee - Waltz in C# minor, Op.64 No.2 MaryBee, I am so impressed with your control of speed and dynamics, whether they contrast or not. It is clear you are playing with the enthusiasm Chopin must have intended for the pianist to express. A fine tribute to your little boy and the dreams you share!

32. BenPiano - All of These Things For You This is such a treat! I think it's a fantastic tribute to your wife and to the fact you learned to sing while accompanying yourself in such a short time is a tribute to your talent. Great job, Ben. Look forward to hearing more of your fine compositions.

33. Ganddalf - Sonata A-flat major (Hob XVI - 46) first movement You've got some serious skills. It is clear you spent some time on the subtle details other amateur pianists might overlook. This is such good Haydn. Thank you for your music.

34. beechcraft409 - Ombre You play this piece with such patience. Your control of the dynamics is superb. Excellent.

[Linked Image]
A Bit of YouTube
PTG Associate Member
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Peyton
that's so funny you had to go to a pub to record this. That given... wow, what nice playing.

I thought it was kind of funny too, back when I recorded this. Thanks for reminding me. With three weeks living out of a suitcase under my belt, and my piano tightly packed and unplayable at a place not too far from here, I tend to forget about the funny part these days wink.

Originally Posted by peterws
Love Haydn. Love this.

Glad you liked it!

Originally Posted by Sam S
You get the prize for recording under the most difficult conditions ever! Outstanding!

I don't know about them being *the* most difficult circumstances anyone in the ABF recital has ever recorded under; I seem to recall a few live gig recordings, and one person who said they recorded themselves via MIDI without headphones (i.e., they couldn't hear what they were playing). Nevertheless, the sentiment is well-appreciated. An 'outstanding' coming from someone who can play like you is a very precious 'outstanding', indeed wink.

Originally Posted by Allard
I hope your new piano will be great and inspire you to keep playing wonderful music. Applaus!

I have no doubt that it will indeed inspire me to keep playing. And I already look forward to letting you all hear my first ABF recital performance on it. Hopefully I won't disappoint. Thanks for your kind comments.

Originally Posted by Mr Super-Hunky
You must have great concentration as well as great confidence in yourself to be able to practice AND perform in a pub in front of others. Thats really incredible. The thing is, it's seems to be working out well as your playing sounds great. Carry on.

Yes, I must, mustn't I? The funny thing is, ask my piano teacher how focused and confident I am, and she might laugh at you for even bringing it up. In reality, I'm painfully insecure at times, and incredibly easily startled while playing. But this was a piece I'd had securely under my fingers for at least four months already, which lessened the likelihood of me getting startled significantly -- and there's nothing like knowing that this is my one and only chance to get me to focus! I'm glad it worked out.

Originally Posted by jazzwee
Nice job! Sounds great. What a commitment to have to run to a pub to get a recording. Amazing.

Commitment is my middle name wink.

Originally Posted by Andy Platt
That's brave playing in a pub! Very nice, except for the ambient noise. You phrased it with great care and I got an impression you had thought through the piece.

Thanks for the nice comment on my phrasing! And ... there's been some talk around these parts lately about when a piece is really 'ingrained' into memory. This is one piece about which I can say that it really is ingrained, for me. So I guess I haven't so much 'thought through it' as practiced it until I could play it backwards with my eyes closed.

Originally Posted by Ken.
Surprisingly good recording quality using just your iPhone on the piano

It is, isn't it? That surprised me, too!

Originally Posted by AimeeO
Great job, especially finishing it off in a bar. Red dot and in public! I really enjoyed that Menuett!

At that point (after having practiced in public for close to two weeks already), the 'red dot' part was far worse than the 'public' part. The customers in that bar stopped really listening to me after the second night or so. This recording will be there for posterity, warts and all! But anyway, glad you enjoyed it.

Originally Posted by Monica K.
Congratulations on your first recital entry! This minuet is so jaunty and lively, and I would not have believed it was recorded in a pub. Actually, I can’t think of many better places for battling the Red Dot than a pub...

As a remedy for performance anxiety, I can really recommend finding a public practice spot and using it consistently for a week or two! Unfortunately, I noticed that the quality of my practice has gone down significantly, since I'm wary of playing the same thing over and over again when I know people are listening. I might fade into the background when I'm just playing through pieces that have almost been perfected, but when I repeat the same two measures ten times in a row, heads go up.

Originally Posted by CarlosCC
Nice to know that you play this at a bar - very funny - and I was expecting to hear some applause at the end of your interpretation. So, one of two things may happen: either you cut the applause in MP3, or the bartender and the other client were deaf. I loved your work. Nice job!

There was no applause, so it didn't get cut. But that's high praise, indeed. Thank you!

Plodding through piano music at a frustratingly slow pace since 9/2012.

Standard disclaimer: I teach many things. Piano is not one of them.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
28. Daren - Quanta Qualia - So very nice and mellow - well done!

30. Peterws - Regrets. I have a Few . . - Nice work with this original! I have more than just a "few" regrets. Well done putting a feeling not into words but into music.

37. Ken. - Let's Cool One - Very "cool", I liked that a lot!)

39. Mar_red - The Shadow of Your Smile & Misty - Medley. - There's no doubt why jazz is so popular - stuff like this. I loved every bit. smile

40. Jazzwee - Stella by Starlight - Nice jazz, this is why we love it!

46. Kenjazz - My Romance - Ahh, so nice!

50. BillM - Georgia On My Mind - Bill, you never cease to amaze - well done! I think you really felt the groove with this one - perfect for your piano and vocal.

53. MileHi Steve - Stagg Brew Very well done!

Learning to play since June 2009.
My piano diary on You Tube: http://www.youtube.com/user/afpaSTU1096
[Linked Image] <- 10+ ABF recitals
P
P
34 beechcraft409 - This is the second piece from Ludovico I have ever heard and again it is great. It sounds like you are really enjoying to play it. Great :-)

35 Richard (zrtf90) - I do not think that this piece is beautiful without effort and from anybody. Few months ago I wanted to know and listen this piece, so I found it on youtube and I was not impressed at all. But You changed my mind immediatelly after listening first tones. Your articulation and dynamics is so excellent, I like you are playing with every tone, beautiful, beautiful. I hade to listen to it several times in a row :-)

36 Mike White - It is great to hear Debussy here. You have played it great. Little slower than I am used to hear so it is refreshing experience.

37 Ken. - I like jazzy pieces. I have never heard this before, thanks, I have enjoyed it.

38 FarmGirl - Wow, you are a queen of the red dot. :-) Very confident performance! I do not understand to Brahms (generally) but hopefully I will get better with more experience. Anyway I have enjoyed your performance.

39 Mar_red - I have enjoyed it enormously, thank you. It seems that you are true musician!

40 Jazzwee - I love jazz! And I can only dream that I will be able to play like you oneday...Personally I think that jazz belongs to the highest forms of musicality.

42 windywindy - Wonderfull performance! I like Chopin too :-) and I have enjoyed it a lot. Thanks.

43 lyricmudra - Very nice piece. Thank you for this lovely performace.

44 Sam S - I listen to it 2-times :-) Awesome work to record 10 minutes! I have never heard it before and I have enjoyed it.

45 Copper - Well done. I felt like in a fairy tale for a minute. Thanks! :-)

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
40 Jazzwee - Stella By Starlight, Victor Young
Nice spare playing. Every note tells a story rather than just overwhelming the listener with a flurry of notes. A fun listen.

41 Saranoya - Menuett in F, Saranoya
Nice job, Saranoya. Despite the many obstacles you faced you've made a really nice recording.

42 windywindy - Waltz in A Minor KK IVb/11, Chopin
A very pretty performance of one of my favorite Chopin waltzes.

43 lyricmudra - Melodie from the Opera 'Orfeo', Gluck-Sgambati
This piece is new to me, and what a wonderful piece of music it is. Your performance sounds confident and competent. Very nice.

44 SamS - Arabeske, Schumann
I listened to the whole thing, Sam. Where's my gold star? This piece is a monumental undertaking. I would have missed way more notes than you did if I had the guts to have attempted this long a piece. The contrasts between sections are sometimes jarring, but as you say, that is Schumann's style. This is well done and enjoyable to listen to.

45 Copper - Greensleeves, traditional
Nice job, Copper, on a really familiar melody.

Dennis
[Linked Image]
flickr

B
B
I would just like to express my gratitude to all who took the time to listen to my submission, and especially to those who took the time to remark on it: Allard, Saranoya, SwissMS, casinitaly, BenPiano, peterws, Mr Super-Hunky, Sam S, Greener, Monica K., jazzwee, Andy Platt, CarlosCC, AimeeO, TX-Dennis, Inlanding, and Pavel.K. It is very encouraging to hear feedback, especially since I am having difficulty with the piece I am learning now - good to know I've done something right laugh Again, thank you all.

I know not everyone has time to comment individually. I, myself, have been bogged down with schoolwork. I have been listening while studying, but I will definitely try to finish up comments. It is great to hear what everybody has been working on. There is one person I would like to comment on right now, and that is Sam S. All I can say is WOW - that must have taken some dedication to get through the entire piece! I listened the whole thing through several times, and am very impressed. Even if you missed some notes, it is hardly noticeable. Way to go!

Nick
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
This is my last batch, and I want to thank the organizers of these recitals. They are an incentive and they give me a goal every 3 months and, without them, I'd be a little "lost". So, thank you.

One more message: not only the music that I played for the recital rejoiced my wife, but your comments filled her face with a smile I did not see for a long time. As said Mr SH: "The power of music is amazing". So: MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!!!! Thank you all.

46. Kenjazz - You did a great tribute to love. I loved it smile Good job!

47. PianoStudent88 - This is my first contact with this Aram Khachaturian piece. I think it's a simple but nice melody. I like it. Congrats.

48. carlos88 - Sarabande Carlos (the "88", not the "CC" smile ), only 3 weeks of work? Wow, that's very good. I think you get the mood of the piece. Very good!

49. GrouchoMarx - It takes real courage to play a piece like this... It must have been an enormous challenge to play a so difficult piece . My sincere congratulations.

50. BillM - Bill, you belong to another "championship". Bravo.

51. Pavel.K - Pavel, this is another example that self-studying can do wonders. I'm also self-studying piano so I know exactly how much work and dedication you had on this. On the other side, I know what is the feeling when the final result is playing like this. Congratulations!
btw: This is your 1st ABF recital, right? Welcome!

52. Allard - I've noticed that Final Fantasy is often played here in ABF recitals and I think your work is excelent for someone with only 1+ year of experience. Indeed, it's a great work. Congratulations!

53. MileHi Steve I think it's the first time I'm hearing some pieces from Hilary Stagg, so thanks for sharing this meddley with us. And, If these pieces were made for harp, I think you did an excellent arrangement. Very good!

54. aTallGuyNH - I think you have the right technique - or at least you're on the right track - but honestly I think you're missing a bit of musicality. The music sessions are not yet connected in the most proper way, which results in some breakage of the melody.
But, my friend, the mere fact that you have managed to produce this music from various sources, and if we think that you only have 11 months of experience, so I'll give you my congratulations! Nice job!

55. Aimee O - Beethoven is always a pleasure to listen so this is a great ending for this recital. I think you got to keep the right rhythm throughout the entir piece. I never tried to play Beethoven, but I can imagine how difficult it might be. Congratulations!

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
Self-taught since Dec2009
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there."
P
P
46 Kenjazz - Beautiful. Only 5 years needed to be able to create such wonderful arrangement and play it? That is cool. Word "jazz" really belongs to your nickname :-)

47 PianoStudent88 - Lovely performance. You are brave you are shaking off those score markings chains! :-)

48 carlos88 - This is the first time I hear this piece. I have enjoyed it, Thanks.

49 GrouchoMarx - You are a miracle of this recital for me. To play Rachmaninoff Allegro Prelude after only 3 years experience and with such sensitivity? Amazing! I want to be
there too :-) I have to work more harder to get there too.

50 BillM - Beautiful. It is great to have a singer in the recital. After watching your video I subscribed your channel immediately!

52 Allard - I have only heard people talking about this piece and now I know why. Beautiful piece.
Similar as Saranoya you are really brave and confident to record it on a public place! (I mean it in a good way :-)

53 MileHi Steve - Nice and professional arrangement. It is so bright and possitive..maybe too much for such negative guy as I am :-)

54 aTallGuyNH - Yes the sound is dumped down, but man, did you really record it during the first take? That is amazing. And I have enjoyed it, really :-)

55 Aimee O - Sweet and classic end of the recital :-) Thank you.

I would like to thanks again to all participants and organizers. It is a great experience and motivation. Also I would like to apologize for my comments not containing any advices or analyses. I have no education in music nor experience and my english is very restraining (my second window is a vocabulary when i am writing this :-)
Anyway a music is an international language to which everybody understand and I have enjoyed it hugely.
I am looking forward to the next recital even if I will not be able to contribute to it probably - I would like to try Rachmaninoff Moments Musicaux 5 Adagio, it does not sound complicated but I am getting doubts already that I will be able to finish it in 3 months...
Well, I wish good luck to all.

P
P

51. Pavel.K - Nocturne 21 in C minor posth: Congratulations on your first recital entry! Your Nocturne was beautiful; you’re setting a high standard for yourself to beat in subsequent recitals. I need to add that I think your Ivory II piano sound is amazing. thumb

Monica, thank you very much. Yes, i am affraid? that I set standard too high for myself. It will be interesting to watch where it ends. smile I like that sound too i think it was good investment.

51. Pavel.K - Pavel, this is another example that self-studying can do wonders. I'm also self-studying piano so I know exactly how much work and dedication you had on this. On the other side, I know what is the feeling when the final result is playing like this. Congratulations!
btw: This is your 1st ABF recital, right? Welcome!

Thank you, Carlos! Yes, you are right it took a lot of dedication and i am glad I did it.

G

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014
2000 Post Club Member
G

40 Jazzwee Stella by Starlight
Great piece and very good live recording Jazzwee. The group is sounding great. Some great improv … well done.

41 Saranoya Menuett in F

You've done really well with this Saranoya. I wasn't familiar with this piece. Its terrific. Very nicely presented. Good for you in getting such a quality performance in a single pass. It speaks volumes for your competence … really good.

42 windywindy Waltz in A Minor KK Ivb/11
This is fabulous. It is really a lovely piece and you've done a terrific job with it. Really fine playing.

43 lyricmudra Melodie from the Opera 'Orfeo'
Very nice polished performance. This is really very very nice. It shows that you've had some expert training and glad you're playing again and sounding brilliant.

44 Sam S Arabeske Op. 18
This is a very pleasant listen Sam. Sort of like listening to a bedtime story when I was small. Certainly not something I wanted to end anytime soon. It is you sir that gets the gold star for this enduring and really great performance. Only one obvious miss that I recall. Really good playing Sam.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
46 Kenjazz - My Romance, Rodgers & Hart
Ken, you have a very professional sounding recording here. I truly enjoyed that.

47 Piano Student 88 - No Walk Today, Aram Khachaturian
Nice job, PS88. Very enjoyable.

48 carlos88 - Sarabande (from Pour le Piano), Debussy
Carlos, it sounds like those "increasingly discouraging" lessons have borne fruit. This piece is not one of my favorites, but you play it very nicely indeed.

49 GrouchoMarx - Prelude Op. 32 No. 12, Rachmaninoff
You excel in bringing out the tempestuous soul of the piece. Very nicely done.

50 BillM - Georgia On My Mind, Carmichael and Gorrell
Well done, Bill. Your version of this wonderful song is very relaxed.

51 Pavel.K - Nocturne 21 in C minor posth., Chopin
Very beautiful, Pavel. You are really amazing for only a year (of self study at that).

52 Allard - To Zanarkand, Nobuo Uematsu
Yhis is another amazing one year performance. You do a great job on this, Allard.

53 MileHiSteve - Stagg Brew. Hilary Stagg
I must admit being unfamiliar with Stagg's work, but I like what I'm hearing. I think the sound you used fits the melodies well. You did a great job on the arrangement.

54 aTallGuyNH - Just The Way You Are, Billy Joel
I will admit to having playe this in the past, and I like your version. Nice job. All you people who sound this good after a year (or less in your case) make me want to puke. Obviously you've worked hard. It shows.

55 Aimee O - Sonatina in G, Beethoven
Nice job, Aimee. This is quite well done.

Thanks for the great music snd good times, everybody!

Dennis
[Linked Image]
flickr

A

Silver Supporter until Jan 04 2013
500 Post Club Member

500 Post Club Member
A
Last batch!

47. PianoStudent88 - No Walk Today I like it! You did a good job with all of the dynamics.

48. carlos88 - Sarabande (from Pour le Piano) Not familiar what that piece, but I am glad that I am now. Beautifully done.

49. GrouchoMarx - Prelude Op. 32 No. 12 Incredible. There’s so much going on in that piece, and you did an awesome job keeping it all in check.

50. BillM - Georgia On My Mind Much respect to anyone who can sing and play(incredibly well, I might add!). I’ve loved that song since I was small. Thank you so much for your wonderful rendition.

51. Pavel.K - Nocturne 21 in C minor posth. Only one year? Not fair! You’re very talented. It’s so clear and sensitive.

52. Allard - To Zanarkand Great work on that piece. It sounds just as I remember it from the game smile

53. MileHi Steve - Stagg Brew Great transfer from the harp to the piano! It’s very relaxing.

54. aTallGuyNH - Just The Way You Are Great job transcribing this and adding in the vocals. Well done!

Thanks so much for sharing everyone. I've enjoyed listening.

A

500 Post Club Member

500 Post Club Member
A

[b]I would work on getting more dynamic range into it - where you did, it was great! I liked the clear contrast between the two versions but you tied it together well.

Will do with the dynamic range. In fact I marched into my piano lesson a week ago and told my teacher that I will not be so lazy with dynamics anymore hehehehe

Congratulations on your first recital entry! Talk about sneaking in under the wire. grin You do a good job of communicating the playful spirit of this sonatina.

Thanks for the welcome! In addition to adding more dynamically, in the next recital I would also like to not be typing in my comment section with 30 seconds left before cut-off grin

And thanks for your comments too, Dennis, Carlos and Pavel!

Last edited by AimeeO; 03/01/13 12:25 AM.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A big FIST BUMP for all those working behind the scenes to bring these (and past) recitals to fruition - this awesome tradition wouldn't be here if not for the hard work in the past and now for each and every recital! smile

I give a general "Thanks!" to all who listened to my recital piece. Only my kids (when they were very young) heard me sing, and that was on guitar, and just a silly couple of songs, mostly a silly ABC song. I can't sing and was not meant to. Only in this friendly environment within the ABF could I feel comfortable enough to croak out a silly song, record it (somewhat blush) , and put it on display.

As a side note, I only sang my piece to my wife after I was convinced I would submit this for this recital. So, if not for this forum, she would have never heard it - it would have been put down quickly and without mercy!

So anyway, I'm grateful to all, and especially those who took the time to comment:

Originally Posted by aTallGuyNH
32. BenPiano - All of These Things For YouThis is one of my favorites so far. I love love love the bridge. And the final verse, uh yeah -- that's my life too, especially the "children that always fight" part... I swear, if I said to them, "listen, you have a choice to go out for ice cream, or go to a movie, or go swimming, or fight", they'd pick the fight every time. Or so it seems.

Back to the song... The arc of the song from the fantasy at the beginning, to the bridge that is actually taking us somewhere (unlike so many songs where the bridge is there because a song is supposed to have a bridge, so they stick something in there and call it a bridge even though it isn't actually serving the purpose of a bridge at all -- i.e. taking us from one place to another where we couldn't go otherwise).

So your bridge takes us to reality, and when we get there I'm chuckling. But then, we get to the end, you jump up an octave and we're into this sweet, music box like quality. To me, it says "this reality, unromantic as it might be on the face of it, is real and..." the part after that I can't even really put into words. It's a feeling that the reality is ultimately so much more satisfying and rich than the plastic fantasy at the beginning.

You have something here... a real talent (I'm saying this also based on hearing "The Secretary" a couple times today, and finding it to be quite moving given its context) that involves creating something that goes way beyond assembling chords and a melody. It's fun and yet profound at the same time. That's impressive.

I appreciate the comment and the time you took to delve beneath the surface of this. My first comment for this and most meaningful!

Originally Posted by Saranoya
BenPiano -- Hi, Ben! Do you know that I actually discovered PianoWorld through you? I was watching one of your YouTube videos, in search of new music to tackle, and it said in the description that you had recorded it for an ABF recital at PianoWorld. Which brought me here. So thanks! Also, I'm in awe of your YouTube piano diary. The number and level of pieces you have on there would in itself be impressive, given that you haven't even been playing four years, but on top of that, all of your performances are polished to a very high degree. This will be another fine addition to the list. And if *I* was getting goosebumps listening to this, your wife must have been positively floored!

I'm very happy to have brought you here to the ABF and to give you goosebumps as well! wink

Originally Posted by Mr Super-Hunky
32. BenPiano - All of These Things For You This was great Ben. Your description made this tune even better. I applaud you for having the courage to sing along and must say you should ABSOLUTLY continue to play and sing together because this tune was very well received. It sounded like the nice theme music that you hear on tv shows and the quality was equally as good. I'm VERY impressed with this performance for all kinds of reasons.

Thank you much, your Mr. SH - singing was well outside of my comfort zone. blush

32. BenPiano - All of These Things For You: This is one of my favorites of the recital, but not because of the piano. (Though, I rush to add, I enjoyed the piano part of it a lot.) It’s the lyrics, though, that stand out to me: The first couple of mushy romantic verses, followed by the punch line of real-life love and marriage (“Children that always fight/ Pizza on Saturday night”). Sheer comic genius!

I'm glad you could connect with this!

Originally Posted by Sam S
32. BenPiano - All of These Things For You You have a great voice! What do you mean you just "learned how" to sing and play at the same time? I've been trying to do that for years but failing miserably. Great job.

I played 4 chords on guitar for so long that I learned to sing along with them. This piece isn't much different that the rhythm mimics guitar strumming - something I can relate with.

Sam- with your ability and patience, you could totally sing while playing!

Originally Posted by SwissMS
32. BenPiano - All of These Things For You What a touching gift for your wife! You have real talent. It is a very touching song well played and sung!

Originally Posted by casinitaly
32. BenPiano - All of These Things For You Ben how can you call yourself a shlub? Seriously. I bet your wife is delighted with her song! I enjoyed this, especially about half way through where the bass started “rockin’” a bit more. Most enjoyable!

Originally Posted by Peyton
BenPiano- Great Ben! I bet your wife loved it.

Originally Posted by jazzwee
32. BenPiano - All of These Things For You Very pretty song and your voice fits perfectly for it. Such a treat and absolutely enjoyable!

Thank you all for being nice. I'll continue in the future to stay quiet and just try to hit hit the right notes!

Originally Posted by BillM
32. BenPiano - All of These Things For You This was fun! I just wished the vocal was a little louder. I’m sure you got major points for this.

Originally Posted by Allard
32. BenPiano - All of These Things For You Nope, can't understand your mumbling laugh Or rather, your voice is too soft compared to the piano. Nothing a little technology can't fix. Nice song.

Originally Posted by jazztpt
32. BenPiano - All of These Things For You Loved the feel you get on this Ben, reminded me of Simon and Garfunkel,the vocal was a tad quiet though but I could a hear a good in tune voice there, a very enjoyable listen.

Sigh - I have no idea how to record piano and vocal - this was really a learning experience! smokin

Originally Posted by AimeeO
32. BenPiano - All of These Things For You Wow… you can sing and play at the same time. That alone puts me in awe of you. That song is just fantastic. Your wife is a lucky lady!

32. BenPiano - I bet your wife is very proud! It is a beautiful declaration of love. I do not know how you can do it composing, writing and singing ... I think this is all very difficult. Good job!

Originally Posted by Inlanding
32. BenPiano - All of These Things For You This is such a treat! I think it's a fantastic tribute to your wife and to the fact you learned to sing while accompanying yourself in such a short time is a tribute to your talent. Great job,

Originally Posted by Greener
[b]32 BenPiano - All of These Things For You This is very easy and pleasant listen. You have a nice voice. Nice job in keeping the accompaniment interesting without interfering with the vocal. Nice recording and well done.

Thank you, my wife is a lucky lady - not because of me!

32. BenPiano - All of These Things For You Wow, another professional. So forget about taking lessons, I think you need to give them. This was an amazingly well crafted song and beautifully performed song. Very nice playing, just a perfect accompaniment. Wonderful, simply wonderful.

Thank you!

Originally Posted by Pavel.K
32 BenPiano - Wow, what a lovely song, you are a great poet, composer, player, singer. Iam sure this was valentine a lot of women dream of :-) And it is the first time I hear iPad 2 in a song :-))) Instant subscription of your channel!

Thank you - a beat up iPad deserves a mention at some point here! smile

Last edited by BenPiano; 03/01/13 02:27 AM.

Learning to play since June 2009.
My piano diary on You Tube: http://www.youtube.com/user/afpaSTU1096
[Linked Image] <- 10+ ABF recitals
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

Because I'm attempting to be a little less analytical and more "feeling", as well as going for more holistic approach. And maybe because when I started this, I was a little hungry...

01. Mr Super-Hunky - A Star Named Apple/ New Beginning golden honey comb

02. Inlanding - Glen - Elegie pomegranate seeds

03. dannylux / Mel - Czerny Romance in E Op.755 creme brulee

04. Plowboy - Prelude in E Minor Op. 28, No. 4 juicy sirloin steak

05. slpianoproject - Nocturne in C# minor Op.27 no.1 creamy tomato soup

06. CarlosCC - Julia fresh McIntosh apple

07. Diana (sinophilia) - Frankie & Johnnie + Space Shuttle Blues buttered popcorn

08. wouter79 - Allegro non troppo in c minor, op.38 no.2 whole pineapple, leaves and all

09. SwissMS - Little Prelude in D Major BWV 936 raspberry lemonade over ice

10. CASINITALY (Cheryl) - Sneakin' Round deep fried onion rings with horseradish sauce

11. Andy Platt - Invention No 4 in D Minor crisp pizzelle

12. Amaruk - The Christmas song from 'An Elf's Story: The Elf on the Shelf' hot chocolate with a dollop of whip cream

13. Peyton - After All spicy gazpacho

14. joangolfing - Grieg Waltz Op.12 olive tapenade

15. Greener / Jeff Green - Moments Musicaux - A flat major; Opus 94 No. 6 three-bean salad

16. Riddler (Ed) - Reflections in D ginger cookies with hot tea

17. Monica K. - Just Because I Love You warm pumpkin pie

18. ladypayne - Improv in G minor roasted artichokes

19. Jake S - Fur Elise banana cream pie

20. Serge88 - Fly Me To The Moon blueberry pancakes with maple syrup

21. Teodor - Donnie Darko - The Artifact and the Living garlic mashed potatoes

22. (Was)TrueBeginner - Us Lemonheads

23. MusicaMusique - Keresem Az Utam cinnamon toast

24. MrPozor - Un poco adagio cold, crisp watermelon

25. Jazztpt (Russ) - Another Song + Maya onion soup

26. Sand Tiger - Shadow pineapple upside down cake

27. PhilzPiano - Prelude no. 1 in C major seven-layer jello salad

28. Daren - Quanta Qualia cup of cappuccino

29. timmyab - Allemande from French Suite no 4 glass of Riesling wine

30. Peterws - Regrets. I have a Few . . eggs benedict

31. MaryBee - Waltz in C# minor, Op.64 No.2 peppermint candy cane

32. BenPiano - All of These Things For You homemade chocolate chip cookies

33. Ganddalf - Sonata A-flat major (Hob XVI - 46) first movement spun sugar

34. beechcraft409 - Ombre lasagna

35. Richard (zrtf90) - Notturno Op. 54 No. 4 sweet and sour meatballs

36. Yamaha G3 & P-80, Mike White - Album Leaf sliced kiwi

37. Ken. - Let's Cool One chocolate cheesecake

38. FarmGirl - Brahms 118 #2 steamed clams with melted butter

39. Mar_red - The Shadow of Your Smile & Misty - Medley. baked Brie

40. Jazzwee - Stella by Starlight sangria

41. Saranoya - Menuett in F banana split sundae

42. windywindy - Waltz in A Minor KK IVb/11 cranberry sauce

43. lyricmudra - Melodie from the Opera 'Orfeo' asparagus with hollandaise sauce

44. Sam S - Arabeske Op. 18 baklava

45. Copper - Greensleeves black walnuts

46. Kenjazz - My Romance stuffed cabbage with sauerkraut

47. PianoStudent88 - No Walk Today sour cherry pie

48. carlos88 - Sarabande (from Pour le Piano) New England clam chowder

49. GrouchoMarx - Prelude Op. 32 No. 12 Bananas Foster

50. BillM - Georgia On My Mind cafe mocha

51. Pavel.K - Nocturne 21 in C minor posth. quiche Lorraine

52. Allard - To Zanarkand crab legs

53. MileHi Steve - Stagg Brew warm frosted cinnamon rolls

54. aTallGuyNH - Just The Way You Are sautéed mushrooms

55. Aimee O - Sonatina in G coconut in the shell

This was the most fun I've had listening to an ABF recital. (And now I'm full.) Thank you all!

Mary Bee
Current mantra: Play outside the box.
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] XVI-XXXVI

Silver Supporter until Jan 01 2013
500 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Jan 01 2013
500 Post Club Member
35 - Richard (zrtf90) - Notturno Op. 54 No. 4

Richard's playing is fantastic. Really engaging, flowing along with a lightness of touch, like a sleek little sailing boat progressing down some really interesting river into an estuary. I've listened to Richard's recording time and again, and will continue to do so.

Currently working on: F. Couperin - Preludes & Sweelinck - Fantasia Chromatica
J.S. Bach, Einaudi, Purcell, Froberger, Croft, Blow, Frescobaldi, Glass, Couperin
1930s upright (piano) & single manual William Foster (harpsichord)
[Linked Image]

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
Second batch of thank you notes smile

Peyton, Allard. Riddler, Zrtf90(Richard), Ben Piano, SamS, CarlosCC, Greener, Inlanding- Glen, Andy Platt, Jazzwee, Beechcraft409, Pavel K., Gandalf, TX-Dennis, Amaruk, FarmGirl, MaryBee....

Thank you all for your comments and encouragement!

What really delighted me in all the feedback I received was that so many were able to notice improvement in my playing and that so many commented on the pure "fun" of this piece.

It gave me a special little thrill to think that I'd truly been able to entertain - for however brief a moment - such a great group of musicians!

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Some more thank you's:

Jazzwee, Beechcrasft409, Tx-Dennis, Amaruk, FarmGirl, Jazzpt, Pavel.K, Gandalf, and MaryBee - Thanks so much for taking the time to listen and comment. Your encouragement really fuels my desire to keep trying to improve. Also thanks to everyone who offered well wishes.

A
A
Realize I haven't responded to any of the comments on my submission. Thanks everyone for listening! I know the piece is a bit above my skill level, but with almost a year of experience on the piece, it is at least managable. It's easy to spot that I have only recently even begun to tackle the fast arpeggio part near the end. Probably going to take another year there.

SwissMS, peterws, Sam S, GrouchoMarx, Andy Platt, Monica K, TX-Dennis, MaryBee: thank you so much for the comments smile

jazzwee, Peyton: I'm curious, did you listen to the mp3 or the video? I always practised on my digital, where one might just put a brick to the pedal and sound reasonable. Have to adjust a lot for the acoustic.

Saranoya: dankuwel! It's funny; until you posted your comment, I just thought your name was a misspelled "sayonara". Took a while to sink in that Sara might be a female's name laugh

BenPiano: what's next? Why, buying a piano, of course, and making it familiar! I bought a baby grand from the same brand. Will probably try to get a new recording in once it is tuned.

Kenjazz: well, there are dynamic indications in the score and I've listened to the original many times. Since it's such a dramatic piece the dynamics are easy to notice. Still hard to reproduce everywhere. The original uses the soft pedal at some points, but there is no way I can control the left foot while still focussing on both hands and the right foot.

BillM: I was sitting on a piano bench, with the iPad on a chair right beside me. Couldn't get a better angle. I prefer the mp3 too, thanks. It's much cleaner, although the one hard part is a total mess. The piano sounded out of tune, huh? I thought it sounded pretty nice. Guess the other pianos in the shop were even worse.

Cheryl: aww, but the mp3 was better played. Glad you liked the video too.

Richard: my sister has a very uncompromising ear. She can pick up most songs by ear and will spot any mistake I might make. *sigh* ... must do better!

Mr Super-Hunky: I'm not sure what a "rolling chord" is. Can you explain what you mean and how you'd like those initial chords to sound?

CarlosCC: Final Fantasy's music, especially the piano collections, was one of the major reasons I started piano lessons. I hope to be able to play the harder pieces some day.

Pavel.K: I was the only person in the room at the time of recording, so that helped a little bit smile

AimeeO: nice to hear from others who enjoyed that game laugh The music from Final Fantasy is quite something, isn't it?

David Lanz - Skyline Firedance Suite
Nobuo Uematsu - Final Fantasy 7 Main Theme
[Linked Image]
I
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I
Thank you to all who took the time to listen and acknowledge my submission. I am grateful for your encouragement.

So much fine music shared from around the globe. It's great to be part of it.

35. Richard (zrtf90) - Notturno Op. 54 No. 4 This is quite a story you tell with this piece. I don't know much about Grieg's music, but your introduction to him with this wonderful composition fabulous interpretation. It's clear you are listening to the music as you play, really connecting. Thank you for sharing your music.

36. Yamaha G3 & P-80, Mike White - Album Leaf Mike, this is spectacular! Another fine presentation from you. You play this so patiently - beautifully.

37. Ken. - Let's Cool One Monk's melodies are wonderful and you play this one with a great deal of care.

38. FarmGirl - Brahms 118 #2 Very complicated music. Very powerfully played and a fine interpretation.

39. Mar_red - The Shadow of Your Smile & Misty - Medley. Very excellent renditions of those two popular standards. One of the hardest things is making correct changes in time. You clearly listen to a lot of jazz and have a great ability to allow those influences on your fine playing.

40. Jazzwee - Stella by Starlight With each e-cital, I hear an increased maturity in your playing, more patient and more time spent listening to where you freely want to go. Great work, indeed.

41. Saranoya - Menuett in F Thank you for the live recital from your local pub. This is beautiful playing and I look forward to hearing more of it in the next e-cital.

42. windywindy - Waltz in A Minor KK IVb/11 From your interpretation of what you call a simple Chopin piece, you have some fantastic skills. It might be easy to play, but not so easy to play well - you did a fantastic ob. You bring out the moods very nicely in each section.

43. lyricmudra - Melodie from the Opera 'Orfeo' This is such a difficult piece to put together and give it meaning as a whole story and you did this so beautifully. This is one of my all-time favorite melodies. You express the subtleties so sensitively. Bravo!!

44. Sam S - Arabeske Op. 18 This is somewhat an epic Schumann piece. Amazing concentration to play this so beautifully for all ten and a half minutes. This is a fabulous interpretation - I like the slower tempo you chose.

Glen

[Linked Image]
A Bit of YouTube
PTG Associate Member
Page 11 of 12 1 2 9 10 11 12

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission