2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
40 members (bwv543, Andre Fadel, Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, 10 invisible), 1,179 guests, and 303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 230 of 540 1 2 228 229 230 231 232 539 540
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
It sounds like everyone is doing great!

Whizbang- That sounds like quite an experience. It sounds like you performed very well!

JimF - I envy your adult student get togethers and recitals. I would love to find a teacher who did that with their adult students. Good luck on your recital.

This has been sort of a regrouping week for me. I have been so focussed on my recital piece, that everything else has been on the back burner. So, now I am taking stock of where I am and what my goals are.

The Debussy Arabesque is in the polishing stage and I am targeting it for the the August recital. My AOTW was making a baseline recording that was note perfect, but needs lots of refining. I am really enjoying this piece, and I have to reign myself in and actually practice slowly instead of playing full tilt. So my goal is to work on the slurs and the dynamics.

The Bach Invention is barely started, and my teacher wants me to play this piece hands separately with my eyes closed. OK, there's a goal.

The Liszt is in the developing material stage, and my goal is to get it memorized.

The Barcarolle is on the back burner now that the Grieg recital is added to the list. 38 3 is learned, but the 3 against 4's measures are rough. So, there is another goal- smooth out the polyrhythms.

So, that should keep me busy!!!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by JimF
I also did something that I forgot to do last year....and that is to wear the shoes I expect to wear at the recital. laugh It may not sound important, but I usually practice at home without shoes. Last year at recital pedaling in shoes felt pretty strange and uncontrolled. I also practiced pedaling with shoes on a few days last week, so that helped too.

I'm glad we do these little rehearsals. It definitely takes some of the edge off my pre-recital anxiety.

Like JimF, I practice at home without shoes, and my teacher recommended to wear shoes while practicing pieces with pedal at home. Howeverl I don't know yet which pair I'll wear at the recital... it depends on weather!

This afternoon I played my recital pieces for a friend of my mother, in order to relieve my anxiety. She's very musical, played piano and sang for decades; I was more nervous than expected, and I made a couple of mistakes. But it was almost a decent pre-recital, and she gave me some useful advices. This is myAOTW.

Moreover, I played by memory two out of three pieces; I'm considering to do the same in the recital, but I'm not sure yet.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
SwissMS,

I've also put most everything on the back burner pending the recital, including my Bach Invention. Guessing it will take me some time to pick it up again once the recital is over.

The Liszt Db Consolation is one of my favorites.....would love to play it some day.

Oh, that reminds me to get that Scarlatti piece off my sig line...put it to bed a while back.

By the way, our teacher does arrange the recital, but has nothing to do with the adult student get-togethers. They were my idea last year....and I think I got the notion right here at ABF. Teacher isn't even invited....well, she'd be welcome, but I don't think she needs to chew up her free time listening to us all for the umpteenth time.

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
Standchen-Schubert/Liszt arr
Sonata Pathetique-Adagio LVB
Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Toastie, I can't honestly say I've been in that sort of frame of mind. If I get fed up and frustrated I may just noodle or play old stuff, but I won't stay away from the piano.
Hope you get out of your funk soon.

UK Paul UK - hey nice compliment! I don't get the part about shooting the rat though... Is that slang in snooker or billiards?

GiacomoF - sounds like your pre-recital event went really well. I would not have thought about the shoes issue. I play with slippers or flip flops at home, but with regular shoes (different ones) when I go to the school for my lessons. One thing I learned through someone else's experience was to NOT wear high heels!

Dynambot - You sound like you're in very good shape for your upcoming recitals - that's super! I agree with you that the Grieg pieces have a lot to them, though they seem simple at first glance. Getting the notes right isn't too tricky - getting them to sound lovely and musical is another story!

SwissMS - I am already looking forward to your Arabesque! I'm listening to the Bach piece as I type - that should be a nice challenge to work on ! I think you're going to become our resident expert on Barcarolles! I heard Consolation in our recital this weekend -- you've got a truly wonderful collection of pieces on the go here! I hope we get to hear some of them in Brussels!

Torquenale - Sounds like your experiment of playing for your mother's friend was a great idea! Don't feel pressured to play without the music!

I had a good lesson today - got more pointers on how to get my Siciliene smoother (I've got to...wait for it....SLOW DOWN - for the moment! lol what a surprise).
For First Loss my goal is to play it perfectly accurately next week, - albeit at a slower than performance tempo. I had fun working on the Radetsky march again with "Steve". I don't know where the duet comes from, it is a photocopy from a book he got from a former teacher. It is pretty simple - but challenging enough for us!

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I had a pretty good lesson today. I played the RH part of Come Back to Sorrento for the teacher and explained my frustration of not being able to get the rubato down quite right where it changes from Dm to DM. She showed me an excellent tip on a way to help with this and I'm very anxious/excited to try this out this week.

I have finished up with Lunar Eclipse and it certainly is better sounding than the version I posted earlier, especially the pedaling. Anyway, I'm revisiting a rag I learned earlier this year to try and improve on that as well. She gave me some new minor key arpeggios to practice too.

We've had terrifying weather close to here for the past week so I have been a bit stressed to say the least. TADA, my tech/tuna Ray came to tune my Yamaha the 18th. It is soo very lovely when he finishes tuning. He says it is stable enough now to go six months before next tune barring any tornados or floods of course. grin

Ragdoll

At first, she only flew when she thought no one was watching.

[Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Casinitaly
you've got a truly wonderful collection of pieces on the go here! I hope we get to hear some of them in Brussels!

Ha! Brussels will be the first time I have played for anyone outside of my own family since I was eleven years old. I am hoping to play chopsticks without falling apart! However, I will try the Arabesque.

A
A
JimF - can't you take your shoes off at the recital? A little weird, I know ^^

Ragdoll - nothing better than a freshly tuned piano! Hopefully a flood won't bring more tuna.

SwissMS - I wonder who will dare to go first at the party. Will be a bit scary, right?

David Lanz - Skyline Firedance Suite
Nobuo Uematsu - Final Fantasy 7 Main Theme
[Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Allard
SwissMS - I wonder who will dare to go first at the party. Will be a bit scary, right?

I would be more than happy to go first. Otherwise I will sit there and work myself up into terror! If I do not have time to think about it, I might just forget anyone is listening.

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by SwissMS

I would be more than happy to go first. Otherwise I will sit there and work myself up into terror! If I do not have time to think about it, I might just forget anyone is listening.

We might have to toss a coin for that smile

[Linked Image]

A
A
Yay, Cheryl and SwissMS will be (sight-)playing a duet first smile

David Lanz - Skyline Firedance Suite
Nobuo Uematsu - Final Fantasy 7 Main Theme
[Linked Image]

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Yay, Cheryl and SwissMS will be (sight-)playing a duet first smile

Allard, you have SUCH a good imagination smile

But who knows.....lol

[Linked Image]

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
JimF - can't you take your shoes off at the recital? A little weird, I know ^^

Yes I guess I could....LOL....but I'm trying to feel LESS abnormal in front of a crowd. Somehow drawing attention to myself with public shoe removal seems like I would be pretending to be relaxed...which is pretty funny grin Maybe I should also loosen my belt, unbutton a couple of shirt buttons, and roll up my sleeves in a real show of bravura wink
Heck, I'll just take it all off and give em a real show!! blush

[Linked Image]

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
Standchen-Schubert/Liszt arr
Sonata Pathetique-Adagio LVB
Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Ugh ... Once again, it's been way too long. But then, I haven't had much to report on since the last time I was here.

Yesterday's lesson was sort of cool though, in a way. I have my piano exam in two weeks. I'll be playing two pieces (one of the Griegs that I'm working on, and then one of the Burgmüllers). I was playing the Grieg for my teacher when I suddenly lost my vision. Kept playing, and when I was done, she said "that was perfect".

Sadly, the Burgmüller was not that much of a success, while 'flying blind'. But at least I know what to work on now, in order to truly master that piece, too. And my teacher gave me some helpful pointers on how to deal with the really tricky spots.

Have I said that my teacher is awesome? Because she is.

Originally Posted by warlock214
I was nervous and started to bomb but recovered and finished good per my instructor!!

I realise I'm coming very late to this, and the recital experience might be ancient history to you by now, but: congratulations! You started to bomb, but recovered? That's even better than not bombing at all!

Originally Posted by SideShow
Anyway, I'm thrilled about the fact that I finally found a way to do some trilling, which is not with finger 2 + 3 (I tried for years) but with fingers 1 + 3

See, I, for one, can't do 1+3 trilling to save my life. I've tried many times wink. But I guess, in the end, what it comes down to is that we all have to find whatever works for *us*. I'm glad you did.

Originally Posted by Ataru074
I'm still speechless... we started working together 2 months ago and he already made me learn more than I did learn by myself in the last year... I was totally stuck at a plateau and he just pulled me out in less than 10 lessons.

This is exactly why I always tell people asking for advice on how to learn the piano here: get a teacher. A good one. A good teacher is worth their weight in gold. Congratulations on having found a keeper!

Originally Posted by IreneAdler
I felt so connected to the music for the duration of the piece, completely obsorbed in it.

That sounds heavenly, Irene. And I think it's when we get to this stage with our pieces that 'real music' results. We should all strive to get where you got with the Prelude in C major.

Originally Posted by MaryBee
I perceive my pauses as much, much longer than they actually are.

And your mistakes as much more glaring, right? laugh Congratulations on this momentous discovery. Now do something with it!

This is something I've known about, through my own recordings, for a while now, but so far it hasn't led to me having an easier time making a recording of myself (or playing in front of someone, which is basically the same thing).

Two pages of nothing but trills, all fingers, both hands.

Quite a workout, indeed. I do not think I could do it (or perhaps I should say: find the motivation to do it). Nice going!

I guess all the polyrhythms in the Arabesque and Liszt Consolation #3 are paying off.

That's a very encouraging thought. I have sometimes wondered how much of the skill we acquire practicing one particular piece is really transferrable. I guess I haven't been at it long enough to experience this first-hand. So thank you for sharing! wink

Originally Posted by Sand Tiger
I started on Canon in D around week 46 so it is 15 weeks working on my level one arrangement.

Yay for persistence!

Originally Posted by Barnie
Highlight of my week was finally nailing measures 27-34 in Jennifer Eklund's "Reflections".

Congratulations! It is so awesome when something that's been eluding you for weeks suddenly just 'clicks'!

Originally Posted by casinitaly
Very nice lesson today [...] It was good fun.

And isn't that the most important thing of all? smile Good for you, Cheryl!

Originally Posted by earlofmar
This was a definite AOTW, as I attempted it about eight weeks ago and could not get past the first measure it was so foreign to me.

Sounds quite astounding. You must have been working hard on building lasting skill in those eight weeks, playing other things!

Originally Posted by TwoSnowFlakes
but the rhythm was odd (11 notes RH played evenly over 4 notes in the LH) so I kept kind of tensing up when it would be coming up, and then just brain cramp and blow it. But I got it! Let's see if I can demonstrate it at tomorrow's lesson!

Sounds like a huge achievement to me! I've been struggling with something similar in a Chopin Waltz I'm trying to beat into submission (but maybe it's just too early for me to try to tackle a Chopin Waltz ... we shall see). Congrats on getting back to the piano after that long of a hiatus, by the way!

Originally Posted by Toastie
I'm finding it doesn't take so long to learn the pieces in my book now. That was the achievement.

Nice! It's one of those gifts that will keep on giving as you progress along the path of learning to play the piano wink.

Originally Posted by joyoussong
For the past couple of weeks I've been learning to play scales in contrary direction - not too difficult for CM, GM & DM. I've also been learning to play them a third apart - C was pretty easy, G took a bit longer, but last week when I tried D, I got it the first time!! I amazed myself! But I don't think I want to try F#M for a while.

I am always in awe of the folks who can do scales at all, let alone competently. They bore me! I guess I'll have to get to them some day, though.

Originally Posted by Andy Platt
And, what do you know - I could play them pretty well. I would wager it was better than I did three years ago after practicing each of them for a week or do. I love how my reading has improved!

That's awesome, Andy! I'm jealous of you. Here's to hoping I will be able to post a similar achievement a year or two from now.

Originally Posted by Whizbang
First time -performing- in a ragtime festival

Congrats on your first festival performance! Must have felt good to survive that wink.

Originally Posted by Palmpirate
I played one of the studies I've been doing, a czerny something, and he picked up on my weaknesses the same way as my previous teacher so I know we are on the same wavelength.

Three cheers for having found a teacher with whom things 'click'! And who cares about his age? My music theory teacher is about the same age as my youngest brother. To me, my brother is still 'the baby' of the family. But I don't see my music teacher in that light at all.

Originally Posted by Sand Tiger
So it has been a relatively low gear for me. It is not any slower now than before, even if it feels that way.

It may be relatively slow, but at least you're keeping at it. So many others in your position (feeling as if their progress is unsatisfactory) would have given up already. *I* almost gave up, three months ago, for this exact reason.

But here you are, and you just keep plugging away. I say again: yay for persistence!

Originally Posted by ElleC
Maybe it's just me... but, polishing this score can really be so frustrating!

A while back, on this thread (it may have been before you got here), we talked about the Pareto Principle as applied to learning piano: ninety percent of the effort, when learning a piece, goes into ten percent of the improvements. You get to 'reasonable approximation of what this *should* sound like' relatively quickly. But to get from there to 'I'm proud of this' ... that's a different bag of chips. So keep at it. I'm sure you'll get there before you know it! And yay for the lightbulb moment!

Originally Posted by rnaple
I actually overcame multiple problems with computer and sound to post my first ever recording to Ecco Fatto. And Ecco Fatto describes it perfectly!

Congrats on overcoming technical and confidence hurdles alike, and actually posting your first recording, rnaple!

/me makes a note to go listen to it some time soon. Sorry! I've been neglecting PW somewhat, lately!

Originally Posted by Whizbang
It's all kind of blurring together now, but if this is something folks would be interested in hearing about, I could start a thread.

Please do! Unless you already have, and I just missed it.

Originally Posted by UK Paul UK
Its the little things that make me smile.

This. This is the achievement that beats them all: smiling about the little things. Sometimes we forget.

I'm glad we do these little rehearsals. It definitely takes some of the edge off my pre-recital anxiety.

It does sound like a good idea. And it sounds like you did pretty well, so yay for that. Also: I always take off my shoes when playing the piano, because my leg is too heavy to lift when I'm wearing shoes, and I can't move my ankles, so I *have* to lift my entire leg. I do it at recitals and exams, too. If people can't live with that, it's their problem, not mine.

Originally Posted by Ragdoll
She showed me an excellent tip on a way to help with this and I'm very anxious/excited to try this out this week.

Sounds like you're hitting it off with your teacher now. Good for you!

I am hoping to play chopsticks without falling apart!

Glad to hear it, 'cause that makes two of us wink.

Plodding through piano music at a frustratingly slow pace since 9/2012.

Standard disclaimer: I teach many things. Piano is not one of them.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by CarlosCC
Hi all,
My company opened a kind of "artists contest" for the employees. They will give some travel vouchers to the winners, so, I think I'm going to enter in the music category (even thinking that my company has 10,000 employees...)
You may ask: "Is this a AOW?" - Oh yes, because I'm not a competitive guy by nature, but I decide to enter in the contest, even knowing that my chances are low.

So, I just have to send a 3 minutes (home) video to try to pass to the second phase - it's a kind of preliminary phase -. The deadline is 26/april, and I've decided that I'm going to send 3 minutes of INDACO - Ludovico Einaudi (I remember your comments on my ABF Recital nº26. Thanks again!).

I don't know if this is a "true" AOW, but I wanted to share my decision with you, and I'd love to know what do you think about it.

About the contest:
The contest has only 2 phases. Only 3 competitors can pass the preliminary phase on each category (music, dance, and representation). Then each one will make a professional video and the video will be voted by all the employees. The video with more votes, it's the winner.

Some updates:
The rules were changed due the different quality of videos in contest (some were professional videos, others were homemade videos - like mine). The jury doesn't want to reject a competitor based on the (less good) quality of the video, so they decided to do an extra step to find the finalists. The extra step is restricted for those who had "good performances" and... I'm in the group smile
So, I will present my version of "Indaco" next 15Jun in Lisbon, live, in front of the jury. Let's see what happens next.

I just have to decide what to play: "my" Albert Hall version (ABF recital #26), or the original version. Any opinion?

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
Self-taught since Dec2009
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there."
W
W
My AOTW was the English Folk Song. I played it cheerfully and with correct dynamics too. The dynamics have been giving me fits but this song I've actually done a better job at expressing the dynamics.

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Casio Privia PX-150
Started Playing: November 2012
Completed Unit 6, Faber's Adult Piano Adventures Book 1
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
CarlosCC - Congratulations being making the first cut selection! That is really an accomplishment. I would play the version that fills your heart the most. That will let you be the most expressive. Good luck and keep us posted!

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
CarlosCC thanks for the update. We are all rooting for you. I vote for the recital arrangement, because you are likely more comfortable with that. With the nerves that usually come with a live performance, the more comfort the better.

A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by CarlosCC
I just have to decide what to play: "my" Albert Hall version (ABF recital #26), or the original version. Any opinion?

No clue - but awesome! Congratulations!

• Debussy - Le Petit Nègre, L. 114
  • Haydn - Sonata in Gm, Hob. XVI/44

Kawai K3
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
JimF -- whatever you decide to do about shoes, DO NOT try to play while wearing hiking boots! (Tried this at a lesson once.) Oh, and don't try it like the baby, either. I think you have to be under 2 years old to get away with that. blush

Saranoya -- that had to have taken some high-level concentration, to keep playing while having your vision fail. It sounds like you're going to nail that piece when you perform it. Good luck on the exam!

CarlosCC -- that's awesome news! I read that a good way to make a choice is to flip a coin. Well, there's just a little bit more to it than that. Or have a computer flip the coin for you, and take part in an experiment.

This past week I've been working on expression, dynamics choices in particular, applying it to two Chopin Preludes. My teacher, who is usually stingy with praise, complimented my playing on both of them! Is he getting soft, or am I actually starting to get this? For the next two weeks I have to work on (the more difficult for me) tempo changes and rubato.

Mary Bee
Current mantra: Play outside the box.
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] XVI-XXXVI
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Marybee - Thanks for the sugestion smile , but I've decided to play the version that I'm more comfortable - I agree with SwissMS and Sand Tiger -.
Congratulations for your progress with the preludes!

Sand Tiger - "With the nerves that usually come with a live performance(...)"
Well, my mindset is to do a "good practice session" in front of the jury. smile I'm usually a relaxed guy.
And the true is that I'll have to trust my memory just because I didn't write a single line of "my " version. So, I think it's time to start working!

SwissMS - Yes, I'll keep posting the updates. It's important to me to have your kind support. Thank you.

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
Self-taught since Dec2009
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there."
Page 230 of 540 1 2 228 229 230 231 232 539 540

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission