2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (Animisha, Barly, bobrunyan, 1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, anotherscott, 10 invisible), 1,828 guests, and 312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 183 of 540 1 2 181 182 183 184 185 539 540
R
R
Originally Posted by Exalted Wombat
Originally Posted by MaryAnn
I finally got my wrist problem diagnosed. It:s not tendonitis; it:s a small ganglion cyst. It feels very satisfying to have a definite diagnosis, even though I don:t know what it means for continuing with piano. The doctor said I should be able to play, so I:m hesitantly excited, if that makes sense.

Isn't that the thing that was traditionally cured by a sharp blow from the family bible?

I cheated by using a wooden mallet and it worked. This was many years ago and the gangliom is still gone. THAT got me exited :-)

Rune

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
MaryAnn,

[Linked Image]

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
Standchen-Schubert/Liszt arr
Sonata Pathetique-Adagio LVB
Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Ragdoll, happy birthday!

Well, er, um thanks FarmGirl but don't rush me I'm old enough already grin. My birthday is Sept 13

Ragdoll

At first, she only flew when she thought no one was watching.

[Linked Image]
F

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member
F
Originally Posted by Ragdoll
Ragdoll, happy birthday!

Well, er, um thanks FarmGirl but don't rush me I'm old enough already grin. My birthday is Sept 13

Hmmm. I swear I saw a cake. Am I having a vision? Not good. Anyway the point is I'm glad that you were born. For that matter I'm glad everyone was born. So let's celebrate it anyway.

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Welcome back Mary Ann!
Happy Un-birthday Ragdoll smile

JimF - sounds like it was your turn to be chuffed this week!

Andy - that sounds like a great experience with the choir - good on you!

StarrKeys, thanks for the encouragement --- are we going to hear you at the e-cital? Hope so!!

Joyoussong Carol - I think it is nifty we're both working on Melody. I don't sound like the person in the video either.. maybe someday! That would be nice eh?

MY AOTW is to have recorded my recital piece. smile

I also had a very good lesson - my teacher was very pleased with my jazz and also with the progress on Schumann's Meloday and my Handel. If I get the last two into really good shape for next week, I'll be starting on the Heller piece. I think the Heller will be for May's recital..... we shall see!
I'm also going to start adding more scales - F maj and Bmaj (all those sharps lol) are on the menu. I am pretty sure I did actually work on both of them before but it has been along time so.... here I go.

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by CasinItaly
StarrKeys, thanks for the encouragement --- are we going to hear you at the e-cital? Hope so!!

Yes. I've been busy with classes and have had a lot to distract me, but I've got something up my sleeve. I may be last again, though. Thanks for your encouragement!

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Starr Keys
Originally Posted by CasinItaly

Yes. I've been busy with classes and have had a lot to distract me, but I've got something up my sleeve. I may be last again, though. Thanks for your encouragement!

You've heard of mutual appreciation societies? I guess we're a mutual encouragement society smile

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by casinitaly

You've heard of mutual appreciation societies? I guess we're a mutual encouragement society smile

You are right! And this thread is specially supportive.

I have three achievements this week: the first, my lesson two days ago was nice. My teacher allowed me to stop studying the Czerny study, and assigned me the next one in the book; fortunately it seems easier, until the teacher makes a more difficult version for me! And, second AOTW, I played again the Chopin prelude I badly messed up last time and it was really better.

Last achievement, I had another crazy week (work, family, everything) but I managed to practice (sometimes only ten minutes) every day.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by torquenale
Last achievement, I had another crazy week (work, family, everything) but I managed to practice (sometimes only ten minutes) every day.

Hey, congrats! That's fantastic.

Me, I will be without a piano for about three weeks longer than planned. I need to find a good samaritan who's willing to let me play theirs for a few weeks! When I do, I guess that'll be my achievement of the week.

Plodding through piano music at a frustratingly slow pace since 9/2012.

Standard disclaimer: I teach many things. Piano is not one of them.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I finally got my wrist problem diagnosed. It:s not tendonitis; it:s a small ganglion cyst. It feels very satisfying to have a definite diagnosis, even though I don:t know what it means for continuing with piano. The doctor said I should be able to play, so I:m hesitantly excited, if that makes sense.

Isn't that the thing that was traditionally cured by a sharp blow from the family bible?

That's what I was thinking too.

A friend of mine received that diagnosis and the doc examined his hand while replying kindly to a question. Mid-sentence, the doc quickly and efficiently slammed the patient's hand into the table, smashing the cyst.
I guess the doc saw no need for that picky little 'informed consent for treatment' thing. Anyway, it worked. Problem solved.

Last edited by malkin; 01/30/13 10:11 PM.

Learner
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Saranoya
I need to find a good samaritan who's willing to let me play theirs for a few weeks!

It seems you are in the same continent but not near enough to play mine.

Good luck!

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
OK, this is not the AOTW I had planned, but it got me pretty excited so I guess it should count.

In an effort to keep my commitment to MOYD 2013 in spite of my continued lack of a piano, I went into a piano store and pretended to be interested in buying a piano (I conveniently forgot to tell them that, actually, I've already bought from a different store, I just don't have the piano yet). For clarity's sake: I am not particularly proud of my duplicity, and it's not that part that got me excited.

In the process of pretending to look around, though, I sat down at a 1990 Fazioli (after dutifully having tried and rejected a few brand-new Yamaha uprights), which I loved instantly, and which will also be forever out of my price range. But I played the first movement of the Moonlight Sonata on it, right then and there, with the sales rep practically looking over my shoulder, and guys, I NAILED it (well, for my standards, anyway). No mistakes, good expression, halfway decent timing. NO NERVES! It was heaven.

I should have had my iPhone out recording, but I didn't want to be -that- obvious. Shame, though. I could have gotten a pretty good recital recording out of that.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member

In the process of pretending to look around, though, I sat down at a 1990 Fazioli (after dutifully having tried and rejected a few brand-new Yamaha uprights), which I loved instantly, and which will also be forever out of my price range.

Ooooh! A Fazioli! Lucky you! At the piano store where I use practice rooms once per week they have a gorgeous Fazioli in the grand room. My teacher keeps telling me I should go in and play it, but the 6 digit price tag always backs me off! Maybe I will get brave enough one of these days!

A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
I should have had my iPhone out recording, but I didn't want to be -that- obvious. Shame, though. I could have gotten a pretty good recital recording out of that.

First thing I said to the sales guys when I was piano shopping (legitimately!) was, "Do you mind if I record this?". Next time ...

• Debussy - Le Petit Nègre, L. 114
  • Haydn - Sonata in Gm, Hob. XVI/44

Kawai K3
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
A
A
"I'd like to compare the sound again at home later." Sounds fair!

David Lanz - Skyline Firedance Suite
Nobuo Uematsu - Final Fantasy 7 Main Theme
[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Saranoya, very cool! How many piano store are there where you live?
Did you take the score with you or played by memory?

I wish I were able to do the same, there is a big piano store in my town, with a lot of beautiful grands...

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Saranoya, Congratulations on your public performance!

I don't think piano stores are concerned how many pianos you try. Piano's, after all, aren't something most people buy on impulse. You could probably go back half a dozen times to the same store & try out different ones, or the same one over and over, & it would just be evidence that you're serious about buying eventually.

Carol
(Started playing July 2008)

[Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
WoooHoooo!

Saranoya gets our first Siver Hammer award....

[Linked Image]

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
Standchen-Schubert/Liszt arr
Sonata Pathetique-Adagio LVB
Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Wow, guys. This avalanche of enthusiastic reactions is almost better than the AOTW itself! Almost wink.

Saranoya, very cool! How many piano store are there where you live?

I see where you're going with this ... laugh. There are three, that I know of. I'm thinking I might go to one of the other ones soon, to get some more heavenly 'practice time'. But after that, I'll have to find a different solution to my no-piano problem, because I already played a variation of this trick on a sales guy at the third store. After my grandfather let me know that he had gone and bought a Boston baby grand, "and how was I going to pay for it", I was in a bit of a bind. Before I told him OK, I'll pay you back, I wanted to know that I was actually going to be halfway satisfied with the piano I'd eventually end up with.

It was, therefore, a little more legitimate than today's foray into the piano store, in that I really did want to try out a specific make and model (albeit after purchase, not before). But at the time, I told the guy that my grandfather "was considering" the purchase of this model, and that he had asked me to go find one and try it out (which he had not, since it would have been rather pointless: the Boston was already bought and paid for by then).

That sales rep did invite me to "come back any time" if I wanted to play the piano some more. But that was before I had all of the Moonlight movement one in my fingers, and I was kind of embarrassed about showing up at a piano store without something "serious" to play. (Burgmüller definitely does not count. Neither does Mozart KV 2, or Händel's Impertinence, or any of the other pieces I had in my repertoire then). So I didn't go back, and the guy (who had encouraged me to decide quickly, in order to benefit from an end-of-year sale) must have thought that my grandfather and I had decided not to go for it.

Did you take the score with you or played by memory?

I am effectively incapable of playing from a score. Anything I can actually *play*, I play from memory. Before then, what I do isn't really playing. It's chopsticks, while I decipher the score measure by measure.

I wish I were able to do the same, there is a big piano store in my town, with a lot of beautiful grands...

So, what's holding you back? wink

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by malkin
I finally got my wrist problem diagnosed. It:s not tendonitis; it:s a small ganglion cyst.

A friend of mine received that diagnosis and the doc examined his hand while replying kindly to a question. Mid-sentence, the doc quickly and efficiently slammed the patient's hand into the table, smashing the cyst.

Hmm..... I wonder how they invented that treatment and in what time. Maybe in a time every problem was solved by smashing it. That would make sense.

MaryAnn, glad that you're back. I hope you'll heal from it!

Saranoya, congrats on your performance in public!

My aotw is very small, but I'm very happy. It's about two measures where the rhythm goes from (right hand against left) 3 to 2, then 2 to 1 and then to 3 to 1. I couldn't make the switch in rhythm with my right hand. But the solution was easy. In stead of focussing at the problem, the rhythm of the right hand, I needed to focus at the rhythm of the left hand. That was really an aha moment.

Chris

Playing since May 02 2009
Page 183 of 540 1 2 181 182 183 184 185 539 540

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission