Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) End Stage Fright
End Stage Fright
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 6 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#2051663 - 03/20/13 11:55 PM Re: March Piano Bar [Re: ladypayne]
TheodorN Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Helsingborg, Sweden
LarryShone, if you're willing to work from the command line, ffmpeg is a very powerful tool.

http://ffmpeg.org/download.html

Look for the FFmpeg Windows Builds, down the page.

Here are the commands I used to sync the video and audio files in one output mp4 file, in my last submission.

"C:\Users\User\Documents\ffmpeg-20130310-git-586ae70-win64-static\bin\ffmpeg.exe" -i "C:\Users\User\Videos\Piano\pianoLog\Yester131003.mp4" -an -itsoffset 00:00:04.5 -i "C:\Users\User\Videos\Piano\pianoLog\Yester131003b.mp3" -map 0:0 -map 1:0 "C:\Users\User\Videos\Piano\pianoLog\Yester131003sn.mp4"

pause

Just put this in a batch file (for example syncAudioVideo.bat) and run the batch file by clicking it. Note that the file and folder names are different on your computer.

http://www.youtube.com/user/thenorbass1

(ads P/S)
Sauter Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2051690 - 03/21/13 01:08 AM Re: March Piano Bar [Re: BillM]
Weiyan Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Hong Kong
Originally Posted By: BillM
Weiyan - this is a very pretty piece. Your phrasing is very good - you might consider a little lighter touch to let this lovely melody "breath" a little bit. Your playing gets better every month - you are obviously working at your music and it is paying off.

Thank you. Take your advice seriously. I hope to develop strong pulse with water flow melody.

#2052015 - 03/21/13 03:19 PM Re: March Piano Bar [Re: SwissMS]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
SwissM - A tricky piece. I find it difficult to play chords like these with precision. Takes a long time to feel comfortable with. Your work now will be well rewarded in the future . . . good stuff! Enjoyed.

""

#2052018 - 03/21/13 03:25 PM Re: March Piano Bar [Re: TromboneAl]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

I love the tinkling of the melody improvisation. Darned wish I could do that . . .must be fun playin` wi the other guys there! Yer piano was right good. What is it?

""

#2052675 - 03/22/13 06:59 PM Re: March Piano Bar [Re: ladypayne]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

A bit o` fun . . .me setting up a video recording, etc . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eno1l1QMfjA

The final offering with both recordings (phone and piano onboard) operating but - slightly out of synch! Not many DPs have an echo function - mine has now!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnN3rj75WyU

And the one without echo, ie piano recorder operating only . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9B9tncHezsE

Fun for an old fella heh heh

""

#2052841 - 03/23/13 08:20 AM Re: March Piano Bar [Re: ladypayne]
Newman Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
Weiyan - A lovely tune.

#2053039 - 03/23/13 04:46 PM Re: March Piano Bar [Re: peterws]
Newman Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
Peterws

Ah Inkspots. Terrific - and Smoke gets in your eyes is one of my all time favourite songs. Well played.

PS Interesting, you have a whole shelf above your piano not just a music holder. hmmm

#2053067 - 03/23/13 05:55 PM Re: March Piano Bar [Re: Newman]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Newman, I kick myself daily! That music stand (it`s located into the stand slot on the digital) could be a whole 6 inches wider . . . . !

""

#2053099 - 03/23/13 07:00 PM Re: March Piano Bar [Re: peterws]
BillM Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maryland
Peterws - loved your Inkspots medley. We have similar taste in music as these are favorites of mine as well. I like your upbeat arrangement of Smoke Gets in Your Eyes. I also covered this here in the bar a few months ago but at a slower tempo - your arrangement is very well done. You do a wonderful job on these romantic ballads.
Piano Vocals of Old Guy Tunes

#2053101 - 03/23/13 07:05 PM Re: March Piano Bar [Re: ladypayne]
Inlanding Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Colorado
Weiyan~ Your playing is wonderful with The Moon Is My Heart arrangement. Excellent!

SwissMS ~ very nicely done! Great sense of time. Sounded to me like you were enjoying playing it.

PeterWS - that was a great arrangement of Smoke Gets In Your Eyes. You play with great precision and clarity.

I made this improvisation recording of a jazz standard (with virtual bass and drums) a few months ago and didn't to write down the name.

https://www.box.com/s/ldf4665vw2hko1psv45p

Glen

March piano audio
https://app.box.com/s/evl3yyp1kj52ve8l069u

A Bit of YouTube

PTG Associate Member

#2053249 - 03/24/13 01:04 AM Re: March Piano Bar [Re: ladypayne]
ty.beginner Offline

Loc: Indonesia
Inlanding.. that is a nice soothing sound.. very jazzy imho...

anyway.. before i post a recording, if i'm looking for more technical feedback of a not perfect recording, should i post here or create another post? Dont want to crowd the piano bar that sounds for more experienced players. So what's the norm? Thank you
Canon in D, Pachebel
Marriage D Amour, Richard Clayderman

Learning..
Clair de lunes, Debussy

#2053266 - 03/24/13 02:31 AM Re: March Piano Bar [Re: ladypayne]
TheodorN Offline
1000 Post Club Member

ty.beginner, I've always felt if I can post here, anybody can. cool I know there are mistakes in my performances, and I don't mind if anybody tells me so. In fact I want to be told about that.

I don't think many of the people who post here feel they are at some level few can reach. Most consider themselves beginners, though they've been playing for many years. Nevertheless there are many quality pianists here, but they don't regard themselves as above everybody else.

What I mean is you can allow yourself to be human here and make mistakes.

#2053294 - 03/24/13 06:27 AM Re: March Piano Bar [Re: ty.beginner]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

ty.beginner - don`t worry about anything. Post if you feel ready. Your own feed back will tell you; recording and playback is a good way to improve things. And no matter how good you think you are, there`s loads who are better who`s brain you can pick . . . No matter how bad, there are loads who are worse who will improve to who knows what height?

But we all have a style which is unique. Nobody can emulate it. So go for it man; Have fun!!

Edited by peterws (03/24/13 06:28 AM)

""

#2053301 - 03/24/13 07:04 AM Re: March Piano Bar [Re: peterws]
ty.beginner Offline

thanx for the encouragement, this is the first piece i learned when i started learning piano from scratch. I've just started playing for around 6 months. But i think i've hit a dead end with this piece. I wanted to learn harmonics, but have no idea where to place them. It's not a perfect recording as there's no hiccups in it (but i seldom play flawlessly anyway). So any critiques are welcome. maybe some suggestion as to improvements as well smile

canon in d
Canon in D, Pachebel

Learning..
Clair de lunes, Debussy

#2053308 - 03/24/13 07:34 AM Re: March Piano Bar [Re: ty.beginner]
SwissMS Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Switzerland
TromboneAl - You have a great singing voice. What a nice relaxed version of this classic. I enjoyed it!

Weiyan - Nice arrangement of Moon is my Heart. You gave it a nice feel.

peterws - I loved the echo effect that you created. It was a nice touch. I liked that version best.

Inlanding - Wonderful, soothing jazz and very nice improv. It kept my interest to see what you would come up with next. Very fun!

tv.beginner - Welcome to the piano bar! Your Cannon in D was very nicely done, especially for your first piece. You have a nice touch.

#2053309 - 03/24/13 07:35 AM Re: March Piano Bar [Re: ladypayne]
LarryShone Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Darlington, UK
Thanks for the info above Theodor!

Yamaha PSR225-I NEED A PIANO wink

#2053318 - 03/24/13 07:55 AM Re: March Piano Bar [Re: ladypayne]
Allard Offline

Loc: Netherlands
Love the Canon in D, ty.beginner smile
Try to play the melody a bit louder so it stands out more. It got drowned out a bit in the middle parts, especially with the long sustain in the chords.

#2053391 - 03/24/13 10:43 AM Re: March Piano Bar [Re: ty.beginner]
rnaple Offline

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014

Loc: Rocky Mountains
Originally Posted By: ty.beginner
... I wanted to learn harmonics, but have no idea where to place them. ...

I like how you did this. I can see you're at a dead end for now. I hear you on using harmonics. Not sure how. One suggestion... What you and I want to play on this is actually a duet. Try recording the more stacatto painisimo notes in both hands. Then over the top of the recording...or you can use another track on the recorder (better). Add your harmonics with sustain. Follow your heart on the developing it. I hear the same development in this. I'm confident I'll end up with a duet. I can't figure out how else it can be done?

Edited by rnaple (03/24/13 10:44 AM)

#2053414 - 03/24/13 11:21 AM Re: March Piano Bar [Re: ty.beginner]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

I can see that `ll come along well with practice It is merely the passage of time. There`s a lot of resonance on the piano; is it time to back off a bit on the foot pedal, perhaps? I am always amazed to find this tune is hundreds of years old .. .

""

#2053482 - 03/24/13 01:26 PM Re: March Piano Bar [Re: ladypayne]
TheodorN Offline
1000 Post Club Member

You're welcome Larry. If you try out ffmpeg, please let me know how it works out.

#2053497 - 03/24/13 01:49 PM Re: March Piano Bar [Re: ladypayne]
Inlanding Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Colorado
ty.beginner~ Welcome to the Piano Bar! Thank you for sharing your rendition of Canon in D. I can hear you are being careful to control the tempo and you do a great job of it - you have a very nice touch. If I were to recommend anything from the start it would be to use your sustain pedal with greater economy to allow the voices of the music to shine - you play them very well. Try playing/recording the entire piece without touching the pedal, then listen to your dynamics, etc. to get a better idea of how/when to use the pedal. I really look forward to hearing this piece again after it's matured under your fingers more. Great job on your first submission - keep 'em coming!

Glen

March piano audio
https://app.box.com/s/evl3yyp1kj52ve8l069u

A Bit of YouTube

PTG Associate Member

#2053639 - 03/24/13 06:57 PM Re: March Piano Bar [Re: ty.beginner]
LarryShone Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Darlington, UK
thanx for the encouragement, this is the first piece i learned when i started learning piano from scratch. I've just started playing for around 6 months. But i think i've hit a dead end with this piece. I wanted to learn harmonics, but have no idea where to place them. It's not a perfect recording as there's no hiccups in it (but i seldom play flawlessly anyway). So any critiques are welcome. maybe some suggestion as to improvements as well smile

canon in d

Very nice, excellent first recording and I love that piece.
I like the ambience in the room too!

Yamaha PSR225-I NEED A PIANO wink

#2053675 - 03/24/13 08:02 PM Re: March Piano Bar [Re: ladypayne]
Amaruk Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: New England, USA
Ty.Beginner Great job on your first posting! Looking forward to listen to more from you. What version of Canon in D is it that you are playing here? It sounded great!

Inlanding Loved your jazz standard! Improvisations like this are a real treat!! Thanks for sharing. Your music is really inspiring!!

Peterws Great idea of posting a behind the scenes video like this!! It just shows how much goes into creating the lovely pieces that you create for us here. Great piano playing as always!!

Weyian Great job! Nice touch on the video with the sepia effect. And your action is covered up this time? The sounds turned out great anyway!!

TromboneAl Comments coming up… stay tuned. wink Great job! Loved it. You sing really well! Great band you have too!!

SwissMS Loved it!! Great that you widen the music styles that you play!! There are so many great jazz players here and perhaps you got inspired by them. The audio recording sounded just fine to me.

#2053678 - 03/24/13 08:11 PM Re: March Piano Bar [Re: ladypayne]
TheodorN Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Saranoya, well done. Peterws, I liked the train video/playing. Also liked Inkspots, you make it appear easy to play, but I know it isn't.
Stumbler, good job on the Gershwin standard.
Glen, as usual your improvisations are great. The later one sounded a bit like Sinatra's The Lady Is a Tramp, which I tried to sing it at a karaoke last night. Didn't do very well actually. Jazz IS hard to play and sing, so many 7ths, 9ths, 11ths and even 13ths.
SwissMS, your jazz selection was also very well played.
TromboneAl, nicely done. Really liked playing and singing.
Weiyan, great job on The Moon Is My Heart. You've improved a lot. Impressive that you've memorized the song. The piano sounds pleasant and the audio is very clear. I usually listen to the submissions with a headphone, so I hear the details well. I didn't notice any hiss in your recording.

#2053731 - 03/24/13 10:41 PM Re: March Piano Bar [Re: ladypayne]
Weiyan Offline
500 Post Club Member

peterws: thank you for sharing about the technical of video recording. The piece in the demonstration is very good.
Inlanding: Very nice standard.
ty.begginer: Sharing is a sure way to improve. Cannon in D is well played. I am not an expert, can't give you much suggestion. There seems stress during the recording session, this is normal to most of us. We call this red light syndrome. Its not easy to overcome. Keep on posting.

#2053746 - 03/24/13 11:27 PM Re: March Piano Bar [Re: ladypayne]
Weiyan Offline
500 Post Club Member

Thank you for all those give me feedback and suggestions.

I am preparing next month's submission.

Bach's Minuet in D min. The playing is different from my previous Bach pieces. This piece is expressive and require the legato technique.

The another piece is Embracing Love, a theme song of a soap opera. I am pulling out the score from youtube. This may be somekind of play by ear.

This is my last submission this month: Love is Blue Melodian Cover

Thank you watching.

#2053764 - 03/25/13 01:08 AM Re: March Piano Bar [Re: Weiyan]
ty.beginner Offline

Originally Posted By: SwissMS

tv.beginner - Welcome to the piano bar! Your Cannon in D was very nicely done, especially for your first piece. You have a nice touch.

SwissMS: Thank you smile

Originally Posted By: Allard
Love the Canon in D, ty.beginner smile
Try to play the melody a bit louder so it stands out more. It got drowned out a bit in the middle parts, especially with the long sustain in the chords.

Allard: I will try smile the sustain is a big problem since i have no idea on how to learn it. hence i have a lead foot on the sustain most of the time.

Originally Posted By: rnaple
... I wanted to learn harmonics, but have no idea where to place them. ...

I like how you did this. I can see you're at a dead end for now. I hear you on using harmonics. Not sure how. One suggestion... What you and I want to play on this is actually a duet. Try recording the more stacatto painisimo notes in both hands. Then over the top of the recording...or you can use another track on the recorder (better). Add your harmonics with sustain. Follow your heart on the developing it. I hear the same development in this. I'm confident I'll end up with a duet. I can't figure out how else it can be done?

thanx rnaple. I'm sorry but i dont really get what you mean by duet. Is that recording two different times and then trying to blend them together via post processing the mp3s? i can't keep the same tempo at 2 different playing which is a big problem for this technique. thank you for the idea though smile

Originally Posted By: peterws
I can see that `ll come along well with practice It is merely the passage of time. There`s a lot of resonance on the piano; is it time to back off a bit on the foot pedal, perhaps? I am always amazed to find this tune is hundreds of years old .. .

This tune is my main motivator to learn the piano smile and you got me with the foot pedal. As that is my biggest concern now. I have no idea on when to use it as in the section that needs it. The moment i use it for some section, the sections i left it out feel so shallow if you know what i mean. I'm still searching the web for tips, helps on the pedal to see if something clicks. So far, i've come up with nothing frown

Originally Posted By: Inlanding
ty.beginner~ Welcome to the Piano Bar! Thank you for sharing your rendition of Canon in D. I can hear you are being careful to control the tempo and you do a great job of it - you have a very nice touch. If I were to recommend anything from the start it would be to use your sustain pedal with greater economy to allow the voices of the music to shine - you play them very well. Try playing/recording the entire piece without touching the pedal, then listen to your dynamics, etc. to get a better idea of how/when to use the pedal. I really look forward to hearing this piece again after it's matured under your fingers more. Great job on your first submission - keep 'em coming!

Glen

Thank you Glen. So many people caught my weakness on the first recording smile i'm glad for the critique. I'm still learning via researching the web on the pedal information. However nothing so far clicks yet. I will play around with the pedal and hopefully come up with something.

Originally Posted By: LarryShone
Very nice, excellent first recording and I love that piece.
I like the ambience in the room too!

Thanx Larry. The ambience is due to not having a good mic smile i'm using my android phone for the recording.

Originally Posted By: Amaruk
Ty.Beginner Great job on your first posting! Looking forward to listen to more from you. What version of Canon in D is it that you are playing here? It sounded great!

Amaruk I found this version from http://www.onlinepianist.com/songs/piano_tutorials/1266/Pachelbels-Canon-Johann-Pachelbel.php . I have no idea where they come up with the arrangement from since the original canon i believe is not for piano.

Originally Posted By: Weiyan

ty.begginer: Sharing is a sure way to improve. Cannon in D is well played. I am not an expert, can't give you much suggestion. There seems stress during the recording session, this is normal to most of us. We call this red light syndrome. Its not easy to overcome. Keep on posting.

Weiyan: Thank you. I hope to post more. At the rate i'm learning things though, It'll be an achievement by itself if i can post 3 to 4 pieces a year. My last piece took me 3 months to memorize and another month to increase the tempo to a very low standard. I'm still not happy with some sections of it even till now.
Canon in D, Pachebel

Learning..
Clair de lunes, Debussy

#2053793 - 03/25/13 03:30 AM Re: March Piano Bar [Re: ladypayne]
Allard Offline

Loc: Netherlands
Syncopated pedalling should work here, ty. It's relatively easy to do. Press down the sustain pedal during the first note of a chord. Keep it down while you play the rest of the chord. When you start the next chord, release the pedal and immediately press it down again, before you release the first note of the second chord. Repeat with every chord. This way, no more than one chord should be sounding at any time.

You could practice it on single notes first:
Press D, pedal down, release D, press A, pedal up, pedal down, release A, press B, pedal up, pedal down, release B, etc.

#2053811 - 03/25/13 05:32 AM Re: March Piano Bar [Re: ladypayne]
TheodorN Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Meant to include ty.beginner's submission in my review, but forgot to. Well done, ty.beginner, keep up the good work.

#2053871 - 03/25/13 08:52 AM Re: March Piano Bar [Re: Inlanding]
BillM Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maryland
Inlanding - this is way cool! You have such a wonderful laidback style of playing. The piano is front and center but not overpowering - this is a professional quality effort although the ending was a bit abrupt.
Piano Vocals of Old Guy Tunes

Page 6 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
149 registered (36251, accordeur, AmateurBob, 45 invisible), 1536 Guests and 50 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74206 Members
42 Forums
153507 Topics
2249546 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Beginner adult book to read AWAY from the piano?
by What?
04/16/14 07:46 PM
Sharing custom patches for Ravenscroft?
by Tonio
04/16/14 07:40 PM
Mozart K310 fingering
by Morodiene
04/16/14 07:11 PM
1952 Bechstein Grand Piano - family needs appraisal
by feigede
04/16/14 05:43 PM
Ruben Schoutrop - Nocturne Op. 55 No. 1 in F Minor
by Ruben1
04/16/14 05:14 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission