2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
50 members (AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, anotherscott, Carey, CharlesXX, 10 invisible), 1,706 guests, and 300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
B
BWV 846 Offline OP
OP Offline
B
In other words, not Sokolov since apparently he doesn't come to the US. I am trying to increase my classical music knowledge, http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/2032307/gonew/1/ and would like to know who I definitely shouldn't miss when he/she comes to Washington, DC or Baltimore.

By "Top 10" I mean the ones that you think are best or would most want to see perform.

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Kissin and Hamelin

B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
You should not miss anyone. Especially, you should go to as many student recitals as you can. They may be one of the top performers some day, or they may be one that has not been discovered, and they may never be discovered. A local performer could be as great a pianist as a touring professional, but may not want that career. You just never know.

Semipro Tech
YouTube is the best to listen to an incredible amount of classical piano performances from any and all of the great pianists.

A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
YouTube is the best to listen to an incredible amount of classical piano performances from any and all of the great pianists.

One could spend HOURS exploring all the wealth on YouTube.

And I do...

Yesterday it was Judy Garland. (What charisma the lady had.) But tonight perhaps a search for selections from the Eton Choirbook. All this and pianists too!

Jason
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
Don't miss Stephen Hough.

Best regards,

Deborah
B
BWV 846 Offline OP
OP Offline
B
I definitely won't go just to the top 10 or 20. BDB, I regularly go to the Peabody Conservatory free Thursday noon recitals. http://www.peabody.jhu.edu/events/thursdaynoon.html

But it would be nice to know who more experienced people perceive as the top performers, since (as far as I can tell), there really aren't any towering figures like, say, Horowitz.

A
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
Yuja Wang

I think Europe alone counts as performing widely. Europeans don't get to hear Bronfman or Thibaudet as much as we do.

So, that in mind:

Volodos
Sokolov
Pollini
Perahia
Bavouzet
Denk
Hamelin
Grosvenor
Volodin
Biss

...among many others.

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Lupu
Ohlsson
Uchida
Andsnes
Freire
Thibaudet
Denk
Biss
Queffelec
Osborne
Trpceski
Kocsis
Wang
Tomsic
Nel
Ax

Don't know if Richard Goode is still touring - if so, him.

Last edited by wr; 02/23/13 07:00 AM.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Goode is touring with a late Beethoven sonatas program this year.
It was also nice to see that Pollini is scheduled to perform in Europe and the US this year after a 2 year absence. He is planning an All Beethoven concert in May and Chopin+Debussy's Preludes I in April.

Don't forget chamber music. Isserlis and Kirill Gerstein are touring the US with a marvelous program of Brahms sonatas for cello+piano and Ades' Lieux retrouves in several venues this year. The music making is superb and very moving.

Did anyone mention Lugansky?

Last edited by Andromaque; 02/23/13 08:29 AM.
G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by Andromaque
.....Isserlis and Kirill Gerstein are touring the US with a marvelous program of Brahms sonatas for cello+piano and Ades' Lieux retrouves in several venues this year. The music making is superb and very moving......

Wow. I'm not embarrassed to admit that I started to drool when I read this!

(Concerts are a tough deal for me nowadays, because I currently live a 3 hour drive away from a major city.)

Piano instruction and performance
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by pianoloverus

Live concert is better.

"The eyes can mislead, the smile can lie, but the shoes always tell the truth."
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Gerard12
Originally Posted by Andromaque
.....Isserlis and Kirill Gerstein are touring the US with a marvelous program of Brahms sonatas for cello+piano and Ades' Lieux retrouves in several venues this year. The music making is superb and very moving......

Wow. I'm not embarrassed to admit that I started to drool when I read this!

(Concerts are a tough deal for me nowadays, because I currently live a 3 hour drive away from a major city.)

That recital was probably one of the most beautiful two hour spans I have spent, in a while. I was moved not just by the beauty of the music, but by the intense musicianship and dedication to the music by two amazing artists. There was such great synergy between them and so little drama and ego display. Breathtaking! Travel the 3 hours if they land anywhere near you! smile

B
B
I guess that there are some great pianists who don't (or won't) play in the USA for whatever reason these days. Among the pianists I never miss are Krystian Zimerman and Mikhail Pletnev (who recently raised hopes he might start playing in public again). Benjamin Grosvenor recently joined that group. And now that I've heard her, Yuja Wang too.

Oh, and Lang Lang, who never fails to lift my spirits, whether or not I agree with what he does wink .

If music be the food of love, play on!
B
BWV 846 Offline OP
OP Offline
B
I have seen Lang Lang, Yuja Wang, and Perahia. I have a ticket to see Kissin in April. Pollini is also coming in April and I plan to see him. I had a ticket for Hamelin (Baltimore's Shriver Hall concert series) but unfortunately was not able to make it.

S
S
Sokolov and Pletnev are very distinctive in performance while the rest of the above lists are wonderful but to me not as fulfilling. Its like seeing Gilels at Carnegie Hall when I was in college. Just mind altering playing everyone else is so similar.

Serge P. Marinkovic, MD

B

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014
1000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by bennevis
I guess that there are some great pianists who don't (or won't) play in the USA for whatever reason these days.

I'd give doing so at least a second-thought if my personal Steinway concert D was destroyed by U.S. airport security because it smelled funny.

I do wish I could see - among others - those on your list.

I recommend attending recitals at universities and music schools in your area, especially those given by faculty and visiting artists. I've attended some that were more enjoyable than those given by famous artists, for no charge or a nominal fee.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Go hear everyone that you possibly can. There are a few names I'd leave OFF that list, but I won't bother with that now.

By the way, I assume you enjoyed Angela's recital? I told you she'd love the flowers.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission