Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2041386 - 03/01/13 02:35 PM Power Adapters for pianos and keyboards.
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
I have a new piano. Similar to the old one but the adapter supplied is a massive transformer thingy of 250V 2A capability, the AP6. The previous one was 1.5 A, the AP5D which was big enough, and recommended for the instrument I have now. But when I see these and others advertised, they seem to be for a multiplicity of Yamaha instruments, some big, some small. Indeed, some adapters seem no bigger than mobile phone chargers .. .

How critical is this? Does it matter if the adapter is a bit on the big side?

""

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Kawai Superb Stage Piano and Controller

Click Here

#2041388 - 03/01/13 02:38 PM Re: Power Adapters for pianos and keyboards. [Re: peterws]
adak Offline

Loc: Canada
4 issues: As long as the voltage is within 5% of spec, and the amps is at least high enough as stated on the original adapter, and the plug is the same type, and the polarity is correct, then yes you can use any adapter.

#2041400 - 03/01/13 02:49 PM Re: Power Adapters for pianos and keyboards. [Re: peterws]
abitconfused Offline

If I had the choice I would prefer a larger power supply with a transformer in it to a smaller 'switched-mode' power supply (ie. the sort of thing you get with a mobile phone) for a piano or any audio device

The reason being that the 'chopping' of the waveform which a switch-mode power supply performs introduces all sorts of high-frequency signals (lookup 'step functions' and 'fourier analysis' if you want an explanation of why) into the power supply which can create issues with both the audio quality and the electronics if they are not properly filtered-out. Good power supplies are very important if you want good amplification

It's nothing to get too upset about and the smaller, switch mode power supplies normally 'work' fine, it's just you might notice your piano sounds a bit better with a larger, transformer-type PSU

#2041486 - 03/01/13 04:41 PM Re: Power Adapters for pianos and keyboards. [Re: peterws]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Thank you, both. The reason I asked was because, once on an outdoor location, I ran a Yamaha keyboard (PSR630 I think) through what I thought was a suitably connected car battery. Suitably connected through the adaptor input that is.

And it was never right since then . . . maybe "switch-on" was a bit too savage given the capacity of the battery, I don`t really know ..

""

#2041493 - 03/01/13 04:49 PM Re: Power Adapters for pianos and keyboards. [Re: peterws]
ando Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Originally Posted By: peterws
Thank you, both. The reason I asked was because, once on an outdoor location, I ran a Yamaha keyboard (PSR630 I think) through what I thought was a suitably connected car battery. Suitably connected through the adaptor input that is.

And it was never right since then . . . maybe "switch-on" was a bit too savage given the capacity of the battery, I don`t really know ..

Hang on, are you saying you connected this keyboard to the car battery through AC adapter? Or are you saying you bypassed the adapter and had the battery connected straight to the keyboard?

#2041498 - 03/01/13 04:54 PM Re: Power Adapters for pianos and keyboards. [Re: ando]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Battery straight to keyboard through the socket where the adapter usually goes. Well, it is 12V . . or maybe 13 or so. It worked.

""

#2041605 - 03/01/13 09:22 PM Re: Power Adapters for pianos and keyboards. [Re: peterws]
ando Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Battery straight to keyboard through the socket where the adapter usually goes. Well, it is 12V . . or maybe 13 or so. It worked.

Ok, that sounds fine. A car battery will typically sit around 12.5V on a low current draw, so there's no reason that would cause any trouble. If you ran the battery down to a large degree, you might have problems though. A lot of electronic gear will not like a low voltage. It's equivalent to a "brown-out", which is what happens when your household electricity supply isn't cut off (blackout), but one or two of the phase lines to your local exchange is lost and your voltage drops to between 1/3 and 2/3 of normal. A lot of electronic circuits will fry if operated at low voltage for too long. It's possible something was damaged, but is partly functional in your keyboard and that's why it works but doesn't sound as good anymore.

#2041762 - 03/02/13 08:55 AM Re: Power Adapters for pianos and keyboards. [Re: ando]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Thanks Ando. The battery may well have run down a bit during THAT afternoon . . . !

""

#2044809 - 03/07/13 10:00 PM Re: Power Adapters for pianos and keyboards. [Re: peterws]
Tom518 Offline

Loc: New York, U.S.A.
A regular car battery has RAW power! It's meant to start a car and doesn't have any means of regulation, which most electronic devices need and use.
A plug in power supply has at the least a RL or small Pi filter in it after the bridge rectifier [if that is what it uses to change ac to dc] or it may use two diodes with a center tap for 12 volts.
A regulator would be ideal. A zener diode is a regulator of sorts.

#2044907 - 03/08/13 05:14 AM Re: Power Adapters for pianos and keyboards. [Re: peterws]
MacMacMac Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Carolina
A standalone car battery will work fine. Most devices don't need tight regulation at all. And the battery's voltage will remain reasonably constant until it drains significantly.

But what does it matter? The OP is asking about power supply adapters, not car batteries.

#2045151 - 03/08/13 03:59 PM Re: Power Adapters for pianos and keyboards. [Re: Tom518]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

"A regular car battery has RAW power! It's meant to start a car and doesn't have any means of regulation"

Tis is what I`m getting at. The initial power surge when the switch is operated. Like a pressurised mains water supply whooshing into an empty pipe system until it pressures up . . . And components which may be compromised somewhat because of it. Like a reduced life . . .The same principle for adapters, too.

""

#2045177 - 03/08/13 04:57 PM Re: Power Adapters for pianos and keyboards. [Re: peterws]
MacMacMac Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Carolina
Much ado about nothing.

A battery is the smoothest source of power.
It has no need for regulation.
And if there is any power surge when the equipment is turned on, it has NOTHING to do with the battery.

#2045254 - 03/08/13 08:21 PM Re: Power Adapters for pianos and keyboards. [Re: MacMacMac]
LesCharles73 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Denton Texas
Originally Posted By: MacMacMac
But what does it matter? The OP is asking about power supply adapters, not car batteries.

Well, he sort of asked about car batteries.

A few points I would add:

Car batteries are unsuitable for continuous use between charges. When the voltage starts dropping (battery drain), you could experience erratic or unstable behavior. This could damage the instrument if it is not designed to deal with this. Use a deep cycle marine battery instead. They are designed to hold a constant charge longer, and can take more abuse when it comes to being run 'dry'.

A raw battery is not fused. Your keyboard may be - or it may not be. Either way, I would make sure there is a fuse somewhere in the equation. If you instead connect the battery to a power inverter, and plug the piano (with its factory power supply) in to that, you would get your fused circuit. However, some inverters spit out some serious chopped sine waves, which some electronics absolutely hate.

Consult the factory if your instrument is under warranty as any of this could void it.

Edited by LesCharles73 (03/08/13 08:23 PM)

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Yamaha CP5
by Synner
31 minutes 57 seconds ago
Vice grip needle nose threaded bolt dimensions
by Olek
Today at 05:10 PM
Paul Newman Baby Grand Bass Strings replacement
by Sam4
Today at 04:11 PM
Mystery Steinway Grand
by Kirk Corlett
Today at 03:58 PM
Magnesium Protects Against Hearing Loss
by DavidWB
Today at 03:34 PM
Who's Online
150 registered (accordeur, 36251, acortot, 41 invisible), 1609 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76389 Members
42 Forums
157929 Topics
2319352 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission