Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2041320 - 03/01/13 12:09 PM Will buying a tuning fork help me better learn piano?
adak Offline

Loc: Canada
I am a beginner and if I get a tuning fork will it help improve my hearing? I was thinking of buying a 440 hz tuning fork. Is this a good idea?

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#2041326 - 03/01/13 12:21 PM Re: Will buying a tuning fork help me better learn piano? [Re: adak]
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
No, but it will help you determine how badly your piano is out of tune. You might be able to find a 440 signal on the internet, so if you have a device that can play that you could compare it with your piano.

Having a well-tuned piano will help your hearing.

#2041340 - 03/01/13 12:43 PM Re: Will buying a tuning fork help me better learn piano? [Re: adak]
bennevis Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

You already have a digital that never goes out of tune, and its A = 440Hz, like all A's in digitals. There is no point getting a tuning fork - just play that A whenever you want to know what it sounds like.

This is not necessarily true in acoustics, depending on how they have been tuned, or whether they are actually in tune.

#2041341 - 03/01/13 12:48 PM Re: Will buying a tuning fork help me better learn piano? [Re: adak]
landorrano Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: France
A pitch fork will give better results!

#2041344 - 03/01/13 12:52 PM Re: Will buying a tuning fork help me better learn piano? [Re: adak]
BDB Offline

There is no guarantee that a digital is ever in tune, let alone that it will never go out of tune. Some manufacturers have a lot more tolerance in their tunings than I do.

But A-440 is likely to be in tune, because that is the reference point most people use. But there can be problems with that, too.

#2041348 - 03/01/13 12:56 PM Re: Will buying a tuning fork help me better learn piano? [Re: BDB]
bennevis Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: BDB
There is no guarantee that a digital is ever in tune, let alone that it will never go out of tune. Some manufacturers have a lot more tolerance in their tunings than I do.

But A-440 is likely to be in tune, because that is the reference point most people use. But there can be problems with that, too.

I have an electronic tuner that gives me any pitch I want, and I sometimes check up on my Roland V-Piano to make sure it hasn't inadvertently gone out of tune. Unless I've dialled in an unequal temperament, it usually comes up to scratch.

No, make that always. grin

Unlike my voice...... cry

#2041355 - 03/01/13 01:08 PM Re: Will buying a tuning fork help me better learn piano? [Re: adak]
Mark_C Offline

Loc: New York
Nobody asked you, HOW are you thinking it could help....

Some people are sort of assuming. But I don't think we have any idea.

#2041357 - 03/01/13 01:12 PM Re: Will buying a tuning fork help me better learn piano? [Re: adak]
Dave Horne Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vught, The Netherlands
If you want to improve your musical ears, listen to the a recording and then transcribe that information to paper.

I have the suspicion though you might have troll genes in your DNA.

mp3\wav files

AvantGrand N3, CP5

#2041362 - 03/01/13 01:22 PM Re: Will buying a tuning fork help me better learn piano? [Re: adak]
BruceD Offline

Loc: Victoria, BC
Originally Posted By: adak
I am a beginner and if I get a tuning fork will it help improve my hearing? I was thinking of buying a 440 hz tuning fork. Is this a good idea?

I wonder if this is a legitimate question. A little common sense should answer it without having to post the question.

How do you suppose that buying a tuning fork will help you "better learn piano"? A tuning fork will give you one pitch. How will that help you learn ... anything, except what that particular pitch sounds like?

Regards,

#2041364 - 03/01/13 01:32 PM Re: Will buying a tuning fork help me better learn piano? [Re: BruceD]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: BruceD

I wonder if this is a legitimate question. A little common sense should answer it without having to post the question.

How do you suppose that buying a tuning fork will help you "better learn piano"? A tuning fork will give you one pitch. How will that help you learn ... anything, except what that particular pitch sounds like?

Regards,

Haha

#2041371 - 03/01/13 01:51 PM Re: Will buying a tuning fork help me better learn piano? [Re: adak]
LoPresti Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: landorrano
A pitch fork will give better results!

landorrano,

You are killing me again!

Originally Posted By: Mark_C
Nobody asked you, HOW are you thinking it could help....

Assuming for a second that the question was asked "in good faith", then I am with Mark here. Let us not overlook the fact that relative (perfect) pitch can be developed, and that a tuning fork is an excellent tool for this because it is portable AND accurate.

Now, it would be nice to see some clarifying response from adak.
Ed

#2041372 - 03/01/13 01:53 PM Re: Will buying a tuning fork help me better learn piano? [Re: LoPresti]
Mark_C Offline

BTW, by most definitions, "perfect" and "relative" pitch are very different. Also I don't think a tuning fork would particularly help develop either one, but who knows, I've never seen it tried.

#2041385 - 03/01/13 02:35 PM Re: Will buying a tuning fork help me better learn piano? [Re: adak]
adak Offline

So would I need a differently pitched tuning fork for every 88 key on the piano? Would that not get too expensive?

#2041390 - 03/01/13 02:39 PM Re: Will buying a tuning fork help me better learn piano? [Re: adak]
Mark_C Offline

So would I need a differently pitched tuning fork for every 88 key on the piano?.....

FOR WHAT?

You're still not saying exactly what you think it would be good for, but I think we're getting pretty close to being able to say.....

No, this wouldn't do anything for you, and whatever it might do would be accomplished better in other ways.

#2041407 - 03/01/13 02:58 PM Re: Will buying a tuning fork help me better learn piano? [Re: adak]
Vid Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Vancouver, B.C.
I don't think they make tuning forks for every pitch on a piano! If someone did manufacture something like that I'm sure they would go out of business.

Its only a tool to determine if a pitch is in tune (with the tuning fork pitch). That is all. People use them to tune their instruments or voice. In particular for piano you could use it to determine if your A440 is in tune with A440. If its not then what?

Do you have aspirations to become a piano tuner?

#2041413 - 03/01/13 03:02 PM Re: Will buying a tuning fork help me better learn piano? [Re: adak]
BDB Offline

If you are interested in the subject, I suggest that you read up on intonation and tuning.

There are sets of tuning forks that will give you all the chromatic notes of the octave, usually between middle C and the C above it. Those sets are called tonometers.

There are some neat things you can do with a tuning fork. For instance, you can hold one to your ear and rotate it to learn about how phase difference works. You can hold one to your open mouth and open it wider or narrower to learn about resonance. You can get another one at a nearby pitch (like one at 440 and another at 435) to learn about beats.

But none of this is necessary to play a piano. It might help you with singing, though.

#2041416 - 03/01/13 03:05 PM Re: Will buying a tuning fork help me better learn piano? [Re: adak]
Hakki Offline
2000 Post Club Member

If, what you want is, to be able to determine the key of a piece that you listen to, and later on play that piece by ear, then it can be somewhat helpful.

But for that case, I would buy something electronic, that can produce a continuous pitch sound. And those devices produce any pitch that you adjust them. So you can match the key of the piece you are listening to more easily.

OTOH, the sound of a classical metal tuning fork is very low, single pitch, and it does not sustain for long.

Also there are lots of software tools on the internet for training the ear.

http://www.youtube.com/user/hakkithepianist

#2041432 - 03/01/13 03:21 PM Re: Will buying a tuning fork help me better learn piano? [Re: adak]
Orange Soda King Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Louisville, Kentucky, United S...
A tuning fork is a useful tool to have, but I don't see how it would help one's piano playing...

#2041437 - 03/01/13 03:28 PM Re: Will buying a tuning fork help me better learn piano? [Re: Orange Soda King]
Mark_C Offline

Originally Posted By: Orange Soda King
A tuning fork is a useful tool to have, but I don't see how it would help one's piano playing...

I used one when I was going around getting doodads to maybe build a "Hardart," to see what pitch each thing put out. grin

(Would have posted a recording but, would y'all believe, there doesn't seem to be any posting of Concerto for Horn and Hardart on youtube.)

#2041439 - 03/01/13 03:32 PM Re: Will buying a tuning fork help me better learn piano? [Re: adak]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: USA
I can throw a baseball really well. Do I have perfect-pitch?

#2041451 - 03/01/13 03:44 PM Re: Will buying a tuning fork help me better learn piano? [Re: adak]
Old Man Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Michigan, USA
OK, maybe this question was "legitimate" and "in good faith".

But c'mon guys, doesn't this one pretty much tell you all you need to know?
So would I need a differently pitched tuning fork for every 88 key on the piano? Would that not get too expensive?

This is one very serious crowd. laugh

Except for landorrano. Whose outstanding suggestion about a pitchfork can now be expanded to 88 pitchforks. Once painted in black and white, matched to the standard keyboard, and meticulously arranged around the perimeter of one's living room, these forks could serve as a wonderful conversation piece.

#2041452 - 03/01/13 03:44 PM Re: Will buying a tuning fork help me better learn piano? [Re: JoelW]
Mark_C Offline

Originally Posted By: JoelW
I can throw a baseball really well....

So why are you wasting your time on piano? ha

#2041468 - 03/01/13 04:14 PM Re: Will buying a tuning fork help me better learn piano? [Re: adak]
Dave Horne Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Yes adak, that is exactly what you would need.

Do you have any other insightful questions to ask? You have many talented folks here who are spending their valuable time answering your questions.

mp3\wav files

AvantGrand N3, CP5

#2041470 - 03/01/13 04:21 PM Re: Will buying a tuning fork help me better learn piano? [Re: Dave Horne]
adak Offline

Originally Posted By: Dave Horne

Yes adak, that is exactly what you would need.

Do you have any other insightful questions to ask? You have many talented folks here who are spending their valuable time answering your questions.

I am sure other questions will come up, afterall I recently did buy a new piano. Casio all the way!

Seeing you are a piano veteran, do you have any advice for a new piano player like myself?

#2041510 - 03/01/13 05:22 PM Re: Will buying a tuning fork help me better learn piano? [Re: adak]
Dave Horne Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Seeing you are a piano veteran, do you have any advice for a new piano player like myself?

Get a teacher.

mp3\wav files

AvantGrand N3, CP5

#2041512 - 03/01/13 05:28 PM Re: Will buying a tuning fork help me better learn piano? [Re: Dave Horne]
landorrano Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: France
Originally Posted By: Dave Horne

Get a teacher.

Great idea from a VFP. Estupendo! But Adak, have you ever thought of getting a tuning fork?

#2041513 - 03/01/13 05:28 PM Re: Will buying a tuning fork help me better learn piano? [Re: adak]
adak Offline

I would love to but I cannot afford one due to my limited financial resources, what is the next best alternative?

#2041528 - 03/01/13 05:45 PM Re: Will buying a tuning fork help me better learn piano? [Re: adak]
Vid Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Vancouver, B.C.
A teacher is not an adequate replacement for a tuning fork.

#2041568 - 03/01/13 07:20 PM Re: Will buying a tuning fork help me better learn piano? [Re: Vid]
Bobpickle Offline

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014

Loc: Cameron Park, California
Originally Posted By: Vid

I think I read this the other day in a fortune cookie.

#2041620 - 03/01/13 10:13 PM Re: Will buying a tuning fork help me better learn piano? [Re: Vid]
Morodiene Offline

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
Originally Posted By: Vid

Unless they have perfect pitch.
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Original method for harmonic hearing development
by Nahum
10/21/14 03:19 AM
First Digital Piano - Advice needed
by chicobalay
10/21/14 02:37 AM
How to Regulate a Studio Upright for Greatest Sensitivity?
by Paul678
10/20/14 11:05 PM
How do I tackle my goal.
by imustlearn
10/20/14 10:29 PM
Advice? First digital piano for family--already own a GP
by SCD
10/20/14 07:58 PM
Who's Online
63 registered (36251, beeboss, András Lieber, angga888, barbaram, 12 invisible), 1039 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76599 Members
42 Forums
158395 Topics
2325949 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission