Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
145 registered (Alan Cyr, accordeur, 50 invisible), 1821 Guests and 34 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#2040751 - 02/28/13 12:41 PM Re: need help, Kawai K3 or Petrof 125 G1??? [Re: RX2Bunny]
Robert 45 Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Auckland New Zealand
For me, the credibility of posters who denigrate any very reputable piano maker is always questionable. I ask myself how many pianos of this maker has the poster played? What models were they and in what condition were they?
Indeed, there are some instances of posters who give opinions, sometimes masquerading as factual information, about pianos that they have never even played.
We all need to be fair and honest when stating our opinions, especially the majority of us here who are piano enthusiasts with very limited experience of the extensive range of pianos available today.

Robert.

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#2040776 - 02/28/13 01:23 PM Re: need help, Kawai K3 or Petrof 125 G1??? [Re: 999988887777]
jafop111 Offline

Loc: canada
Hello 999988887777..Your daughter is 6 years old its not have too much sense that how to play with the piano.I also gave the gift of my son on the birthday Petrof which is very good for the playing point of views.I recommend to you the Petrof.

#2040777 - 02/28/13 01:24 PM Re: need help, Kawai K3 or Petrof 125 G1??? [Re: 999988887777]
jafop111 Offline

Loc: canada
Hello 999988887777..Your daughter is 6 years old its not have too much sense that how to play with the piano.I also gave the gift of my son on the birthday Petrof which is very good for the playing point of views.I recommend to you the Petrof.

#2040792 - 02/28/13 01:47 PM Re: need help, Kawai K3 or Petrof 125 G1??? [Re: RX2Bunny]
Brad Hoehne Offline

Loc: Ohio
Originally Posted By: RileyBunny
that's exactly how I felt about Kawai for a long time. I didn't like Kawai in the past.. hated the sound (like you said it's like draped in a very heavy cloth) and the touch (super sluggish to me). and I'm referring to the used Kawai that's from 5-10 years before.

HOWEVER, I felt the newer ones with MIII actions are totally and completely different. It's like a day and night experience to me. the keys are so balanced, the tone projection is awesome, and the notes sustained in the air long. the action is very good and I love the key weight (My previous first choice was U1 but after i played Kawai, i felt Yamaha's keys were too light for me). I also played a Petrof 125 during my search, and I was very disappointed at it. not sure if it's a dealer's thing (no/min prep), that Petrof was exactly like how you describe the Kawai. the price of that petrof was very good and I really wanted to like it, but the sound was so draped in a very heavy cloth..

That's good to know about the newer Kawais, since the brand is so common. The ones I've tried out were generally in the back of music stores, or in practice rooms at my local university, and weren't always new and probably not in tip top shape. But stilll...

To be honest, I've only ever played one Petrof upright (I've seen a few grands here and there, though)- the one I own. The experience I've had has been good. It's too bad that not all folks have the same. Pianos are very individual. I suppose it is always best to try out the exact piano you intend to get before buying.

Currently working on:
Chopin Etudes op 10 #12 "Revolutionary" and op 25 #2
Chopin Nocturne op 37 #2
Playing by ear and "filling out" pop tunes

#2040795 - 02/28/13 01:55 PM Re: need help, Kawai K3 or Petrof 125 G1??? [Re: 999988887777]
Steven Y. A. Offline

Loc: Toronto
The new Kawai K5,K6,K8 has a new cabinet design to improve the tone projection.
Inverse Tone Release System on K5,K6

and Full Spectrum Tone Release System on K8

its a small trick but really does the job and open up the sound.
For me K5 is a significant step up to K3.

#2040914 - 02/28/13 04:59 PM Re: need help, Kawai K3 or Petrof 125 G1??? [Re: Brad Hoehne]
turandot Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: torrance, CA
Originally Posted By: Brad Hoehne
Today at 10:57 AM
One thing I've noticed about Kawais (and some other uprights) is that they tend to sound like the tones are coming "from inside a box", or as if the piano were draped in a very heavy cloth. Anyone else notice this?

Originally Posted By: Brad Hoehne
Today at 4:47 PM
The ones I've tried out were generally in the back of music stores, or in practice rooms at my local university, and weren't always new and probably not in tip top shape. But stilll...

It's nice that you posted the qualification, but do you think it might have been better to have wirtten nothing at all about Kawai pianos based on the evidence available to you?

I enjoyed your story of the Petrof on the porch though. It's a nice testimony to that 125 that it could withstand the combination of abuse and neglect.

#2040962 - 02/28/13 06:38 PM Re: need help, Kawai K3 or Petrof 125 G1??? [Re: Brad Hoehne]
RX2Bunny Offline

Loc: Chicago
even though I didn't like the 1 particular petrof I had played, i still think it's a great brand and great instrument. I had played new Kawai that I didn't like. like the old saying - every instrument is so unique.

I really liked vogel and shimmel but they're just completely out of my price range. If I have a choice, I kinda slightly prefered the european brand. I felt they have more characters. but believe it or not, I could only locate 1 petrof upright in the whole chicagoland at the time of my search. nothing in used market and there's only 1 dearler and they only had 1 upright. I asked if they'd have more coming in but they said they didn't plan to import more since the brand didn't sell very well. frown

#2040998 - 02/28/13 07:35 PM Re: need help, Kawai K3 or Petrof 125 G1??? [Re: RX2Bunny]
turandot Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Quote:
even though I didn't like the 1 particular petrof I had played, i still think it's a great brand and great instrument

laugh

This thread just keeps getting better and better.!

#2041010 - 02/28/13 08:08 PM Re: need help, Kawai K3 or Petrof 125 G1??? [Re: 999988887777]
Raindrops Offline

Hi 999988887777,

Not sure if you have decided on K3 or Petrof (didn't read the entire thread). I recently have purchased a Kawai K3, upgrading from a Yamaha digital CLP320. It's like from earth to heaven. Makes me wonder why I had kept the digital for two years and not playing an acoustic. My experience for shopping piano made me believe to go for the new pianos, unless the used one is "like new" in every sense of a piano's quality. I didn't play any Petrof. Got no good used ones or new Petrof in my area. My piano teacher picked the K3 out of almost 50 pianos in that store we visited. She liked the range that K3 produces. It allows you to do many different things, which I have to learn obviously.

It's been two weeks, and my experience with it has been great. It's the right size for home use. Keys are heavier than the average which I like. Can't complain about the bass keys. But there are a few keys in the high register can be more mellow. Specifically the keys C, D & E one octave up from the center. It's a little too bright for me. But I guess I can ask the tuner to do something about it.

#2041011 - 02/28/13 08:10 PM Re: need help, Kawai K3 or Petrof 125 G1??? [Re: 999988887777]
Raindrops Offline

Also, forgot to mention K3 was Piano of the year from 2008 to 2011 by Music Merchandise Review's customer survey. We don't know the 2012 winner yet.

#2041032 - 02/28/13 09:10 PM Re: need help, Kawai K3 or Petrof 125 G1??? [Re: turandot]
RX2Bunny Offline

Loc: Chicago
I think there is a freedom of speech and thoughts. i think it's a great instrument becos' of the history and the make. i looked up a lot of the brand beside testing it out in person. I read about their history, user's reviews, pianobuyer, etc. so why can't i make that statement even tho I did not personally like the touch and sound of that piano? I wasn't saying it's a great brand just trying to be nice. I had done my *homework*.

I had seen numerous times that people aren't being nice to other people who post and i tried to not respond even though I wanted to say something.

as always, you've the freedom of speech and thoughts. but i just want to express as well that this kind of comment isn't going to encourage more people to participate in the forum. period.

Edited by RileyBunny (02/28/13 09:18 PM)

#2041111 - 03/01/13 12:45 AM Re: need help, Kawai K3 or Petrof 125 G1??? [Re: Raindrops]
turandot Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Raindrops
Also, forgot to mention K3 was Piano of the year from 2008 to 2011 by Music Merchandise Review's customer survey. We don't know the 2012 winner yet.

Raindrops,

The K3 is both a good piano and a very successful product for Kawai. It's a particularly good instrument for parents supporting child learners and for self-paying beginner and intermediate adults. It is a good instrument to grow on without breaking the bank. Don't take anything I'm going to write here as arguing against that.

The MMR award is called a Dealer's Choce Award because it solicits votes from piano retailers, not from end-users or any kind of professional panel.

For years Kawai dominated the acoustic piano product category with the K3. The strategy employed was to get its dealers to back the K3 en masse rather than having Kawai votes diverted among other worthy Kawai products. Yamaha has traditionally been able to dominate the digital piano category by using the same strategy. It gets its dealers in line before the vote.

The last Piano of the Year was chosen at the end of 2012. A Hailun vertical model from China replaced the K3 as the award winner. I'm a little surprised that Hailun pulled it off because their dealer network is not all that large.

It had to happen sometime though. It does not mean that the Kawai K3 is any less of a piano. It just means that a different product took control of the dealer's choice voting.

#2041113 - 03/01/13 12:47 AM Re: need help, Kawai K3 or Petrof 125 G1??? [Re: Raindrops]
Plowboy Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: SoCal
Originally Posted By: Raindrops

It's been two weeks, and my experience with it has been great. It's the right size for home use. Keys are heavier than the average which I like. Can't complain about the bass keys. But there are a few keys in the high register can be more mellow. Specifically the keys C, D & E one octave up from the center. It's a little too bright for me. But I guess I can ask the tuner to do something about it.

The tuner certainly can. After three years, the treble on my K-2 became very bright. My technician did some voicing, and the hammers responded quite well.

And I agree with Steven YA, having spent quite a bit of bench time with both, IMO, the K-5 is a big step up.

Edited by Plowboy (03/01/13 12:47 AM)

#2041126 - 03/01/13 01:29 AM Re: need help, Kawai K3 or Petrof 125 G1??? [Re: RX2Bunny]
turandot Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: RileyBunny
I think there is a freedom of speech and thoughts. i think it's a great instrument becos' of the history and the make. i looked up a lot of the brand beside testing it out in person. I read about their history, user's reviews, pianobuyer, etc. so why can't i make that statement even tho I did not personally like the touch and sound of that piano? I wasn't saying it's a great brand just trying to be nice. I had done my *homework*.

I had seen numerous times that people aren't being nice to other people who post and i tried to not respond even though I wanted to say something.

as always, you've the freedom of speech and thoughts. but i just want to express as well that this kind of comment isn't going to encourage more people to participate in the forum. period.

Riley,

In terms of 'niceness', think of the phenomenon of disagreement as an occasional collision of a fact-finding forum with the sought-after niceties of a social network.

The freedom of expression that is practiced here does not carry with it a guarantee that everyone will agree with your expressed opinion, and that the freedom of others' expression will be suppressed to allow yours to go unchallenged.

Actually, although I'm absolutely certain I would never use your particular *homework* approach to choose a musical instrument, decide the relative merits of a maker's piano production, or make a recommendation to anyone else, I can nevertheless agree with you that the Petrof company makes some charming pianos. Perhaps if you play more than one sample, you will share that opinion. Perhaps not.

#2041138 - 03/01/13 02:21 AM Re: need help, Kawai K3 or Petrof 125 G1??? [Re: 999988887777]
Norbert Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Surrey, B.C.
Quote:
The last Piano of the Year was chosen at the end of 2012. A Hailun vertical model from China replaced the K3 as the award winner. I'm a little surprised that Hailun pulled it off because their dealer network is not all that large.

They don't need a "large dealer network".

Told Hailun 5 years ago the H5 was the best upright they made.

Which these days is getting a bit of a run for the money from the Ritmueller gang...

Norbert grin

Edited by Norbert (03/01/13 02:23 AM)

#2041167 - 03/01/13 04:50 AM Re: need help, Kawai K3 or Petrof 125 G1??? [Re: 999988887777]
backto_study_piano Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
I think you'd have to go up the order with KAWAI - K6 or K8 to get an equivalent of a Petrof 125. Though, the Petrof 125s I've played were newer than 1999 - more 2006 or later.

Given that your Petrof has only had one tuning in 14 years, I would engage a good technician to tune, regulate and voice the Petrof, and I believe you'd have a fine piano.

#2041266 - 03/01/13 09:33 AM Re: need help, Kawai K3 or Petrof 125 G1??? [Re: Norbert]
turandot Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Norbert
Quote:

They don't need a "large dealer network".

Told Hailun 5 years ago the H5 was the best upright they made.

Which these days is getting a bit of a run for the money from the Ritmueller gang...

Norbert grin

Dang, the last thing I wanted to do was to leave youi a segue! grin

Looking at this again, it's possible I left an impression that the H5 was less deserving than the Kawai K3 as winner of......

Music Merchandise Review's Dealers' Choice Acoustic Piano of the Year.
(Man, is that ever a mouthful?)

In fact, I think it is every bit as deserving, numerically even more deserving. Here's MMR's take on the choice made by its retailers who participated in the balloting.

Quote:
Acoustic Piano Line of the Year

Hailun HU 5P: Hailun Pianos

Now here’s a surprise. For many years there, it appeared that Kawai’s K-3 had established a veritable lock in this category, but in 2012 China’s Hailun won “Acoustic Piano Line of the Year” in convincing fashion. The HU 5P was praised for meticulous craftsmanship and classic deigns.

Here's a link to the full list of winners for shoppers pressed for time in choosing musical instruments. grin

http://www.mmrmagazine.com/6665/archives/december-2012/20th-annual-dealer-choice-awards/

#2041294 - 03/01/13 11:12 AM Re: need help, Kawai K3 or Petrof 125 G1??? [Re: Raindrops]
KurtZ Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: The Heart of Screenland
post pulled. My esteemed colleague from the south bay has already addressed the point about MMR's "awards".

Edited by KurtZ (03/01/13 11:16 AM)

#2041502 - 03/01/13 05:07 PM Re: need help, Kawai K3 or Petrof 125 G1??? [Re: 999988887777]
UK Paul UK Offline

Loc: Berkshire, England
Dont know about the petrov but i play my 5 month old k3 two hours a day, action is superb and the sound crisp bit warm... certainly not muffled like some of the older ones.... it has taken me this long to really appreciate the action, initially i thought it was poor, 5 months of playing an acoustic has changed that opinion.... twas my playing lol

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!

Trade Regrets:
Barry "Bear" Arnaut

(ad) Yamaha
Yamaha
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Intro and a question re: Elton's "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road"
by OnlyLivingBoy
11/22/14 03:33 PM
Can reburbishing eliminate mold?
by amateur101
11/22/14 03:21 PM
Kawai CA-65 bench in North American market
by Pierrerion
11/22/14 02:59 PM
Thumpy keys and downstairs neighbours
by Valencia
11/22/14 02:57 PM
Ever suffer burnout?
by Dan Casdorph
11/22/14 02:23 PM
Forum Stats
77008 Members
42 Forums
159267 Topics
2339666 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission