Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2039486 - 02/26/13 09:08 AM Mackie MR5 MK2 ok for a digital piano?
Marko in Boston Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Boston, Massachusetts
I have a chance to buy a pair of brand new Mackie MR5 MK2 for $250. Wasn't really looking for any speakers until this deal came up. Don't know anything about them and never heard them in person. Would these sound good with a digital piano? I have a Kawai ES7 that sounds incredible w good headphones but just mediocre with on-board speakers. Thought this might be fun to try. However, really don't want to waste $250 if these are garbage in conjunction with a DP and I have no other use for them aside of my dp.

Any comments, good or bad, would be appreciated.

(ad) Roland

Click Here

#2039532 - 02/26/13 10:26 AM Re: Mackie MR5 MK2 ok for a digital piano? [Re: Marko in Boston]
Kbeaumont Offline

Loc: Virginia, USA
I think you find them quite suitable.

#2039572 - 02/26/13 11:45 AM Re: Mackie MR5 MK2 ok for a digital piano? [Re: Marko in Boston]
Charles Cohen Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Richmond, BC, Canada
Definitely not "garbage". And the price sounds pretty good.

There are some threads here that discuss the importance of "lowest-octave" (27 Hz - 52 Hz) bass response. Most of the sound energy, in a piano's lowest octave, is in the overtones, not the fundamental. So fairly small loudspeakers can sound pretty good.

If you want/need more low-bass response, you can always add a subwoofer.

. Charles

#2039587 - 02/26/13 12:07 PM Re: Mackie MR5 MK2 ok for a digital piano? [Re: Charles Cohen]
500 Post Club Member

Thanks Charles,

I do have a very nice Polk Audio subwoofer that I tried hooking up when I first got the piano. It was almost too much or not just quite right with the on-board speakers. Maybe with the Mackies it might all balance out well when together.

Glad to hear that they are not garbage. I checked out a few reviews online this morning and they seem to all be on the positive side.

Edited by Marko in Boston (02/26/13 12:08 PM)

#2041507 - 03/01/13 05:15 PM Re: Mackie MR5 MK2 ok for a digital piano? [Re: Marko in Boston]
500 Post Club Member

So I ended up buying the Mackie MR5 MK2 for $250. The good news is that they sound great with a dp! However, they are VERY bass heavy. I cant believe the bass coming from this 5" studio monitor. No need for a subwoofer whatsoever. So, with that said, you absolutely need to use your EQ (and EQ on back of both speakers)to get the right sound, tone, and balance. Takes a awhile to get it right - not perfect of course. Unfortunately, it needs to be adjusted frequently depending on what songs you are playing. I actually found a nice combination with the Mackies and my ES7 onboard speakers that sounds very good with most songs and no adjusting.

Conclusion; in my opinion(i know very little about audio) If you like to play loudly, like tweaking your EQ, and want to shake the house with 5" monitors for short money -- these are fantastic and a lot of fun. If you are a serious sound enthusiast or just in search of a pure unadulterated piano sound, not so much for you. Spend the money and go get your Focal CMS50's.

Edited by Marko in Boston (03/01/13 05:16 PM)

#2042413 - 03/03/13 04:21 PM Re: Mackie MR5 MK2 ok for a digital piano? [Re: Marko in Boston]
Grazzy Offline

Hello,players,does somebody tried to use two nearfield monitors Nady 200 a , for a good dp piano sound? Thanks for any conclusions.

#2042867 - 03/04/13 01:45 PM Re: Mackie MR5 MK2 ok for a digital piano? [Re: Marko in Boston]
500 Post Club Member

Hi Grazzy,is this what you are referring about: http://www.nady.com/pm200.html

#2043026 - 03/04/13 08:39 PM Re: Mackie MR5 MK2 ok for a digital piano? [Re: Marko in Boston]
Possum SP280Krome Offline
500 Post Club Member

Hi Marko, I was going to say the same thing about the bass as reading down your thread!
I had MK1's and found them bass heavy and not as "melodic"- I used them with my Juno Gi. I think I paid $175 for the pair.
I ended up selling them on CG for $125 and purchased the limited white edition KRK R5's (my second set) for around the same amount on black friday.

I think I am getting a nice amount of bass with my Krome on them.
I did find the KRK's much better for my Juno than the Mackies
Korg SP280

Rokit KRK 6 monitors
MXL V67G microphone

#2043163 - 03/05/13 02:54 AM Re: Mackie MR5 MK2 ok for a digital piano? [Re: Marko in Boston]
mabraman Offline

Loc: Valencia, Spain
Could it be that 'MK' stands for bass boost? I recall someone saying so when talking about headphones, and advising to avoy those with MK letters unless you were looking for more bass.

Edited: I had a look at both those white boxes and MKIIs' a couple of weeks ago. When listening to the music they had on demo (mostly electro, not my cup of tea) I found the sound to be very cold. Besides, they are nearfield monitors and as soon as you go three steps from them (2,5 mts. I guess) the sound becomes too wide.
So, I'd be very interested in your opinions, too.

Edited by mabraman (03/05/13 03:05 AM)

#2043208 - 03/05/13 05:24 AM Re: Mackie MR5 MK2 ok for a digital piano? [Re: Marko in Boston]
500 Post Club Member

Hi mabraman, You are right about distance. Also, they tend to be VERY directional. It took me me awhile to get it to right (or decent). I have them about 3 feet in front of me, aligned with my shoulders (im sitting not standing) and about 5 ft apart point in towards me. On the ES7 I adjusted the EQ to "user low and mid low" between -4 and -6 depending on what I was playing. So with that in mind these speakers can be great for personal-in your-face use mostly, not so much performing for others. Even on playback recordings it sounds odd if im not right in front of the speakers. When I got the Makies I think I was expecting more of a PA like system that would just be plug&play and a few steps better of than the onboard speakers. However, I think these monitors are so good at picking up every bit of sound detail that it is very challenging to get the sound acceptable. Which is why they are studio monitors. They are doing exactly what they are supposed to be doing.

Edited by Marko in Boston (03/05/13 05:51 AM)

#2043219 - 03/05/13 06:40 AM Re: Mackie MR5 MK2 ok for a digital piano? [Re: Marko in Boston]
mabraman Offline

Loc: Valencia, Spain
Yes that's what I guessed. I think I'm gonna try the hi-fi route. With such a crisis, there must be lots of second hand amps. and shelf boxes at cash converters. I'm thinking in a more flexible setup.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
83 registered (Alux, ando, AtomicBond, 24 invisible), 1387 Guests and 41 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74264 Members
42 Forums
153620 Topics
2251552 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Tunelab alternative partial settings?
by Beemer
Today at 04:52 AM
Noodling board
by Maarkr
Yesterday at 10:20 PM
New Movement Composed "To Rule" 4/20/2014
by hsheck
Yesterday at 10:17 PM
Understanding Sharps
by imustlearn
Yesterday at 08:18 PM
When a beginner is not a beginner anymore?
by Eight Octaves
Yesterday at 08:09 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission