Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
105 registered (AnimistFvR, AndyP, anamnesis, 31 invisible), 1323 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 4 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 11 12 >
Topic Options
#2041516 - 03/01/13 05:30 PM Re: I have a Casio PX-5S GAS [Re: CyberGene]
Mike_Martin Offline

During the process I switched back and forth between two brands of headphones and two sets of monitor speakers.

The speakers that you're listening can have dramatic effect when you're doing sound design mainly if you're not used to what the speakers sound like.

As an example at NAMM the PX-5S was running through a QSC system with K10s and subs. We made tweaks during the show until we got used to how the sounds were responding to in the sound system.

Twice during the show, Joe Sample played the PX-5S at a different location in the booth. Same type of sound system but very different speaker and sub placement. The subs were way too loud. Listen to the Joe Sample Wurly recording, you'll notice that it sounds thin and has no body. That's because there was way too much bass so we just rolled the low end out using the PX-5S EQ. It sounded great there, but the recording is not so good.

There are so many studio monitors these days. There are some great ones...of course you can spend more the price of the PX-5S on monitors. Which ones should you use??This is like saying which DAW should you use. I'd say, the one you're most used to.

Edited by Mike_Martin (03/01/13 05:31 PM)

Casio Music Forums
Privia Pro PX-5S Audio Demos

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Kawai Superb Stage Piano and Controller

Click Here

#2041526 - 03/01/13 05:38 PM Re: I have a Casio PX-5S GAS [Re: adak]
galaxy4t Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Lakewood, CA
I don't think they cost as much to build as you might think. But Casio is smart in that they spread their cost over many models and are able to offer them at lower price points because of this. If you look at the Privia line only, they use the same basic hardware like the keybed, samples, and sound chip in all their models. The differences are in the extras each model has. Most companies know how many units they need to sell to recoup their cost. Once they hit this number, the rest is profit.

Edited by galaxy4t (03/01/13 05:43 PM)

#2041614 - 03/01/13 09:41 PM Re: I have a Casio PX-5S GAS [Re: adak]
xorbe Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Mt View, CA
Originally Posted By: adak
If this piano is as great as it is, should it not be selling for $1500? Or even $2000? Or more? You don't want Casio to be selling itself short if it puts out a great product.

@adak - Don't give them ideas like this. Yeesh! It's not a $2K slab. $2K will buy a slab with escapement feel, 3-pedal support with partial pedaling, non-looped synthesized piano decay, multiple sampled pianos, 900+ quality sounds, in a sleek non-controversial case, etc. Anyways, the PX-5S will make an excellent $999 product, but I'm looking towards the PX-850 myself. Shame it doesn't have some of the PX-350's goodies, because there's no way I'm shelling out for an AP-650 without a massively serious discount.

#2041642 - 03/01/13 11:33 PM Re: I have a Casio PX-5S GAS [Re: xorbe]
galaxy4t Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Lakewood, CA
I'm not so sure you will find all of the features you mentioned even in a $2000 board.

#2045914 - 03/10/13 12:20 PM Re: I have a Casio PX-5S GAS [Re: Michael H]
Mike_Martin Offline

Originally Posted By: Michael H
Does anyone know if it will be possible to get higher levels of reverb than on the PX150/350's?

Yes:

https://soundcloud.com/casiomusicgear/px-5s-reverbed-piano

Casio Music Forums

#2046020 - 03/10/13 04:05 PM Re: I have a Casio PX-5S GAS [Re: CyberGene]
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: The Netherlands
Cool.

Repeated question:
can we have a 'normal' (no big verb) AP fragment as well, whenever you find the time ? Still curious about the dry AP sound in different styles (classic fast passages, classic slow passages, few jazz fragments - some nice pedaling techniques).

It is supposed to have the better incarnation of the AP Air engine, with full resonance effects etc. And perhaps some new tweaks to the piano presets. Wonder what it sounds like (solo)...it's still a stage 'piano' after all, despite all the extra new features and sounds.

Thanks.

#2046026 - 03/10/13 04:10 PM Re: I have a Casio PX-5S GAS [Re: JFP]
ando Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Originally Posted By: JFP
Cool.

Repeated question:
can we have a 'normal' (no big verb) AP fragment as well, whenever you find the time ? Still curious about the dry AP sound in different styles (classic fast passages, classic slow passages, few jazz fragments - some nice pedaling techniques).

It is supposed to have the better incarnation of the AP Air engine, with full resonance effects etc. And perhaps some new tweaks to the piano presets. Wonder what it sounds like (solo)...it's still a stage 'piano' after all, despite all the extra new features and sounds.

Thanks.

Any piano without half pedalling is going to struggle, IMO. That was such a huge disappointment for me. My check was practically in the mail until I read that it still uses the old on/off pedal. I find it utterly baffling when all the other Privias have half pedalling. Why Casio? Why?!

#2046044 - 03/10/13 04:37 PM Re: I have a Casio PX-5S GAS [Re: CyberGene]
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member

OK , forget the pedaling part. Just give us some nice AP demos in different styles.

Shame about the half pedal. Put my thoughts about that in the other thread...

#2048673 - 03/15/13 11:00 AM Re: I have a Casio PX-5S GAS [Re: CyberGene]
Mike_Martin Offline

We are at SXSW this week. Although a little primitive using a webcam we'll be streaming live from the Music Expo today and tomorrow from 12:00pm to 6:00pm Central. We did it yesterday and from what I understand the audio quality was decent. So if you have questions or these is something you'd like to hear, join the chat and type away.

http://www.ustream.tv/casiomusicgear

Casio Music Forums

#2048980 - 03/16/13 03:26 AM Re: I have a Casio PX-5S GAS [Re: Mike_Martin]
willf Offline

Loc: UK
This is really worth watching if you can as it shows the flexibility of the instrument.

Mike Martin does a great job of demoing the instrument.

#2048989 - 03/16/13 04:17 AM Re: I have a Casio PX-5S GAS [Re: Mike_Martin]
willf Offline

Loc: UK
Mike,

I don't suppose you got to try the PX-5S though the new EV ZLX 12P. I am led to believe that they are amazing - especially for the money.

#2049066 - 03/16/13 09:48 AM Re: I have a Casio PX-5S GAS [Re: CyberGene]
Mike_Martin Offline

We will be on ustream again today from about 12-6 central time. Come join in, ask questions.

Casio Music Forums

#2049068 - 03/16/13 09:49 AM Re: I have a Casio PX-5S GAS [Re: CyberGene]
Mike_Martin Offline

I've heard great things about the EV's. We've been using QSC speakers over the last year and they've been great.

Casio Music Forums

#2049461 - 03/17/13 02:46 AM Re: I have a Casio PX-5S GAS [Re: CyberGene]
Tyruke Offline

Loc: Anaheim, California, USA
Thank you, Mike Martin for setting up that live stream, and answering all my questions.

That was the first time I ever watched something like that and have my questions answered.

Looking forward to the PX5S release soon!

Edited by Tyruke (03/17/13 02:46 AM)

#2061208 - 04/08/13 10:05 AM Re: I have a Casio PX-5S GAS [Re: CyberGene]
Deltron Offline

Anyone know if the PX-5S is on it's way to the shops any time soon?

I'm really thinking of getting the PX-5S but i have also looked at the PX-350(although never played one). Does anyone have any input comparing these two boards?

I'm mostly gonna be playing at home and some band situations and would like to have the built in speakers of the 350, though getting some monitors for the PX-5S would be an alternative. The PX-5S also seems really appealing with it's great control features.
Will it be a good board for home use as well as stage?

Any input would be much appreciated!

#2061212 - 04/08/13 10:14 AM Re: I have a Casio PX-5S GAS [Re: CyberGene]
Kawai James Online   content
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
I'd wait for the PX-5S...

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#2061220 - 04/08/13 10:27 AM Re: I have a Casio PX-5S GAS [Re: Deltron]
voxpops Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oregon
Originally Posted By: Deltron
Will it be a good board for home use as well as stage?

Basically, you're getting Casio's best piano engine, with all resonance features activated, new and vastly improved electric piano tones and effects, plus a hex-layer synth section.

What you'll be missing is the half-pedaling feature, which will make it less appealing for more serious classical and jazz work, and no built-in music stand or speakers. So, apart from these absent features (for which there are workarounds), it will be just as good at home as on stage!

#2061232 - 04/08/13 11:00 AM Re: I have a Casio PX-5S GAS [Re: CyberGene]
Mike_Martin Offline

The PX-5S will ship to stores at the end of this week.

Casio Music Forums

#2061397 - 04/08/13 05:23 PM Re: I have a Casio PX-5S GAS [Re: CyberGene]
Mike_Martin Offline

Casio Music Forums

#2061475 - 04/08/13 08:07 PM Re: I have a Casio PX-5S GAS [Re: Mike_Martin]
Mike_Martin Offline

Originally Posted By: Mike_Martin

Correction, they shipped last Friday

Casio Music Forums

#2061736 - 04/09/13 07:19 AM Re: I have a Casio PX-5S GAS [Re: CyberGene]
Mike_Martin Offline

Casio Music Forums

#2061872 - 04/09/13 12:16 PM Re: I have a Casio PX-5S GAS [Re: CyberGene]
voxpops Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oregon
Thanks for posting. Stephan De Reine just seems to be having so much fun improvising on the PX-5S! The overall sound is very pleasing and dynamic. The octave above middle C seems to suffer a little - which has long been noticeable in the Casio range (you can hear a slight "plinkiness" in single-note runs) - but measured against the fact that no DP is perfect at any price, it's no biggie, IMO. And the PX-5S has a lot more capability than many other stage pianos when you consider what else is available on-board.

#2061962 - 04/09/13 02:15 PM Re: I have a Casio PX-5S GAS [Re: voxpops]
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: voxpops
...The octave above middle C seems to suffer a little - which has long been noticeable in the Casio range (you can hear a slight "plinkiness" in single-note runs)

"Plinkiness" - that's the word I was looking for to describe it. No biggie indeed for stage use and certainly not in the light of the total package offered in this price range. But for more serious classical / subtle Jazz music I'm still not sure. Would have to try before buy (as always). Playing with the volume ADSR curve won't help much ; it's the sound itself that thins out pretty fast after the initial attack in the mid/high range, after which it rings on very nice and smooth for along while , but the initial phase misses some 'body' ; I think this is also what Voxpop means by plinkiness.

No Casio bashing - just honest personal judgement and again as a whole the PX5S is a very interesting beast that will please lots of people. Probably some AP presets will be more suitable for classical performance than others anyway. The "Dolce" is already a big difference (although some attack 'thinness' remains , compared to a high end SW or hardware DP).

If the PX can be tweaked enough to give the mid/high range attack a bit more (longer) substance that would help scratch off the last major difference to the more expensive competition in terms of AP sound. The PX has already a lot more to offer in the rest of the feature and sound set...

#2062102 - 04/09/13 07:04 PM Re: I have a Casio PX-5S GAS [Re: JFP]
Nomadness Offline

Loc: Friday Harbor, WA
Just heard that my PX-5S has been shipped... excited! I'll post first impressions...

#2062150 - 04/09/13 09:22 PM Re: I have a Casio PX-5S GAS [Re: CyberGene]
Mike_Martin Offline

I wrote this on the other forum where you posted Nomadness...but this is relevant here too:

I'm deeply humbled that you pre-ordered the PX-5S. I admit, I was surprised to find out that we shipped some out a week earlier than I expected.

As I mentioned a few pages back in this thread we have have a firmware update coming. There are some significant new features but this update also gives me the opportunity to go back over the 100 Stage Settings and make some revisions. We're doing things like tweaking knob/slider assignments and other improvements like using the new toggle footswitch feature for rotary speaker effects and more.

It may be sooner but my estimate is about a week before the update is posted. The PC/Mac editors will follow shortly after.

We will be posting Stage Settings and other tones regularly but these will require the 1.10 update. They're not backwards compatible to 1.00. Anything you create however will be forward compatible to 1.10.

I'll be posting tips and guides as often as possible over at http://priviapro.wordpress.com
especially over the next couple weeks.

Thanks,

Casio Music Forums

#2062362 - 04/10/13 12:01 PM Re: I have a Casio PX-5S GAS [Re: Mike_Martin]
Deltron Offline

Do you have any knowledge of when it will be available in Scandinavia?
The Casio distributor don't seem to have any info

#2062373 - 04/10/13 12:39 PM Re: I have a Casio PX-5S GAS [Re: Mike_Martin]
Itsgotta Offline

Hi Mike,
Thanks for all your updates and info on this product. I pre ordered with guitar center, I was wondering if you already shipped to them as well. Haven't heard from them yet.
Thank you for your time.

#2062418 - 04/10/13 02:54 PM Re: I have a Casio PX-5S GAS [Re: Deltron]
Mike_Martin Offline

Originally Posted By: Deltron
Do you have any knowledge of when it will be available in Scandinavia?
The Casio distributor don't seem to have any info

They are probably working that out during the meetings at Musik Messe this week. Sorry I don't have any specific information.

Casio Music Forums

#2062419 - 04/10/13 02:55 PM Re: I have a Casio PX-5S GAS [Re: Itsgotta]
Mike_Martin Offline

Originally Posted By: Itsgotta

Hi Mike,
Thanks for all your updates and info on this product. I pre ordered with guitar center, I was wondering if you already shipped to them as well. Haven't heard from them yet.
Thank you for your time.

GC like many of our other accounts did pre-order the PX-5S. I don't however know how many existing orders they have vs how many we shipped them in this first shipment. I would suggest that you contact them directly.

Casio Music Forums

#2062551 - 04/10/13 08:13 PM Re: I have a Casio PX-5S GAS [Re: Mike_Martin]
JimaSound Offline

Hello:
Just wanted to let you all know that my PX-5S was just delivered. I haven't even opened it let but wanted to thank Mike Martin (like many have done before me) for being such a great ambassador for this product. I ordered my PX-5S the day I saw Mike's first demo online at NAMM which actually was the day after I bought a Steinway B piano. I would have thought that my GAS would have been satisfied for a while with the Steinway B...especially since it is my first full size grand...I already own 5 other baby grand pianos and a dozen or so MIDI controllers/keyboards including a Casio CDP-200R and a Casio PX-330, but Mike's enthusiasm and commitment to this product is so addicting that I had to order it sight unseen. Hats off to you Mike and Casio for coming so far since the first Casio CZ-101 I had some 30 years ago.

I should probably stop rambling here, throw some batteries into the PX-5S and the battery powered Roland KC-110 amp I just picked up for the 5S and go play some tunes out in the street or something....

cheers

Page 4 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 11 12 >

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!

Trade Regrets:
Barry "Bear" Arnaut

(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Technique for holding down chords
by DeadPoets
11/25/14 11:07 PM
Steingraeber A170 vs. Steinway M - appreciate helpful input
by ElaineAllegro
11/25/14 09:26 PM
Rachmaninov Sonatas - 1 vs 2?
by iObsessed
11/25/14 08:07 PM
Completely OT- mods please move if necessary
by PhilipInChina
11/25/14 07:40 PM
Steinway "cottage" piano hammers
by ssenseney
11/25/14 07:19 PM
Forum Stats
77053 Members
42 Forums
159356 Topics
2340880 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission