2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (accordeur, akse0435, danno858, AlkansBookcase, David B, Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, 13 invisible), 1,843 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
T
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
T
Does anyone have a home built or after market solution to replace/enhance the EL Cheapo music desk on the Kawai VPC-1 ?

It is supposed to be a piano based controller, but what piano has such a dysfunctional music desk?

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by theJourney
It is supposed to be a piano based controller, but what piano has such a dysfunctional music desk?

[Linked Image]

I expect I'm going to regret asking you this, but how is the VPC1's music rest 'dysfunctional', exactly?

It's primary function is to hold musical scores, which is visible in the above image.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
J
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
Although I'm buying The VPC and it's a great instrument, I fully agree with the Journey. We discussed it before - it should have been something similar to the transparent ES7 additional stand (that come with the extra accessoiry ).

Somehow the Kawai design & development department missed this and now seems to defend the clumsy music rest at all cost ! For the stage Piano's it's fine, for a pure (classic?!) piano controller board like the VPC it should have been better. I hope for a redisigned Kawai music rest for the VPC as assecoiry somewhere in the future. Happily spend some extra on it when it comes out.

T
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
T
Compare it to the music desk on an RX or a K5...
Notice the dimensions and notice the solid materials used, rather than being composed primarily of low gauge wire and thin air. Note the relative depth from the back of the keys to the front of the music desk.

This is 2013.

You need a PC to make the VPC-1 work.

Likewise, increasingly, music is something that also comes out of a PC, not a book. You print out on computer paper, whether from a site such as www.imslp.org or from whatever notational package you are using to arrange or compose your scores for whatever studio work you are doing. It is common when learning new classical pieces to make clean copies out of the Henle and take them together so you can have 4 sheets visible on the music desk. Jazz lead sheets might even be written by hand on smaller dimension pieces of loose paper.

The way pianos are played in 2013 puts higher functional requirements on the music desk that are met by Kawai's real pianos. But on the VPC-1 the music desk is woefully inadequate. It is almost identical to the kind of cheapo strapon desk that Korg delivered over a decade ago on their low end range....

The VPC-1 is supposed to be an authentic piano controller which is why it doesn't have wheels and whistles. But real pianos are played from sheets of paper and you can't play when your paper is held in a fixed position outside of the range of your bifocals -- when it isn't curling around the wire or falling through the cracks....

T
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by JFP
...I'm buying The VPC

Where are you buying yours?

JFP, thanks for adding a little more information.

As I believe I wrote previously, the VPC1 shares the same music rest as the MP10.

The metal wire construction is pretty strong, however I agree that its appearance isn't terribly pleasant. After market accessories such as a 'deluxe' music rest, pitchbend/modulation wheel add-on, or furniture stand are all worthwhile suggestions. However, as with any industry, proven demand must exist before development can be considered.

Kind regards,
James
x

J
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
Don't need pitch wheel , knobs and sliders - it's a piano. Do need a good music rest - it's a piano.

Don't know why wheels etc are dragged in the conversation . The VPC is intended as a piano controller , not full blown master keyboard, so it's fine as it is. Just the music rest is not well thought through. Kawai can either choose to ignore that, or do a mea-culpa and come up with a solution (better rest as accessoiry). I don't think it would bankrupt the company ?!

By 'better rest', am I correct in thinking you mean 'more attractive rest', yes?

The functionality (or dysfunctional-ity to reference theJourney's post) isn't an issue, correct?

James
x

J
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
It's both. It is not completely dysfunctional, that would drag to far, but it can be better. The ES transparent stand was a far better approach in both functionality and design. I know how I disliked the stand on my MP6, music would fold, fall off and the angle wasn't quite right to put big books on. Also it lacked enough space , for example when you would like to have 3 pages in a row (it happens in classical music). On the stands of the cabinet KAWAI's it all works well, on the transparent stand too, but with the above stand its not quite right and comfortable. So , it would serve both purposes - design and functionality - to have a better stand. Mind also the angle. Very important to keep your music books and sheets at their place during use...don't know how that will be on theVPC yet.

Eeee.... A wire? Had it in Roland A-33 years ago.
Dysfunctional +1

I'd buy a sheet of tinted acrylic glass and put it on front of that wire.

Michael / GEM RP90 / SX-P50
Originally Posted by Kumi_27
Eeee.... A wire? Had it in Roland A-33 years ago.
Dysfunctional +1

Roland A-33:
[Linked Image]

I agree, that's horrible.

Kawai VPC1:
[Linked Image]

Not beautiful, but certainly more functional.

Originally Posted by Kumi_27
I'd buy a sheet of tinted acrylic glass and put it on front of that wire.

Yes, that'd work.

Cheers,
James
x

Certainly not much more, I see. Unless You're taking more wire into account smile

Michael / GEM RP90 / SX-P50
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Seems it's the same rest that the ES7 has, isn't it?
If so, I can tell it doesn't work either with thick books (which tend to get closed and the rest ledge can't keep them in place)or too small sheets, but other models share this lack of design, I recall seeing pics here, of some custom made solution to hold sheets.
So it's obvious that a good rest should have a closed back and a higher (a thumb or even more) frontal ledge (is ledge the word? flange, rim?). It should be broader, too.
Btw, James, in your picture you can see that right sheets are about to slip, and are too curved to be read. Maybe it's common in Japan smile

Learning piano from scratch since September, 2012.
Kawai ES7.Kawai K-200
J
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
As you can see the music book in the Kawai picture rests on the surface of the VPC, instead of on the bottom of the music rest itself. An indication of it's functionality. If Kawai would pick up the challenge to design a music rest that has the same level of space and comfort as the rest of a cabinet piano that would be great. It would fly of the shelves with many happy es7 , mp6, mp10 and vpc owners as buyers. And make sure it's thoroughly tested with many different book sizes and thickness and sheets of paper. The angle is also very important for thick books and for readability . Too much upright is a problem, too far back makes it hard to read and grab to turn . So Kawai , why not just do it, instead of ignoring the valid request ?!

T
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by Kawai James
The functionality (or dysfunctional-ity to reference theJourney's post) isn't an issue, correct?

James
x

Why not just put your fingers in your ears and go " LA LA LA LA LA"? It would be just as productive as denial by typing here.

T
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by JFP
So Kawai , why not just do it, instead of ignoring the valid request ?!

The impression one gets is that this has nothing to do with the user, his or her needs, requests from potential customers or market research.

It has to do with what Kawai can put into the unit cheaply and/or has laying around the plant in inventory (perhaps the same factor as the choice for RM3 instead of GF?).

I just realized that the same feedback was given to Kawai regarding the music desk for the MP10 in the past...

https://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubb...ernative%20music%20stand%20for%20Ka.html

You know you have a product design issue when customers have to implement their own hillybilly kludges to your product right out of the box...

http://whitetrashrepairs.com/

Last edited by theJourney; 03/01/13 06:35 AM.
Originally Posted by theJourney
Why not just put your fingers in your ears and go " LA LA LA LA LA"? It would be just as productive as denial by typing here.

To be honest, I'm still not entirely sure what your beef is with the VPC1's music rest - or with me for that matter. I've already explained that - for one reason or another - the project team decided to use the MP10's music rest. You may not particularly like this decision, however it's unlikely to change any time soon.

Now...

Is it the best music rest ever made? No, I accept that it isn't.
Is it the most visually appealing music rest ever made? No, I accept that it isn't.
Is it better than no music rest at? Yes, I certainly believe it is.

Don't forget that most controllers and even some high-end stage pianos omit the music rest entirely - you may recall a post discussing this topic just a few days ago.

Kind regards,
James
x

T
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
T
Well, James, I have nothing against you, but I didn't send an email to Kawai and this thread is also not addressed to you...yet you are dominating the thread and posting with your Kawai "and the answer is no" hat on as if it is on the company intranet...

Since you admit that you cannot be of help to us, why not let others respond to the thread who might be able to address the question posed with their own ideas or proposed solutions.

No hard feelings, but this is supposed to be a user board, not a defensive manufacturer obfuscation board or a cheap piggyback alternative to Kawai setting up their own modern marketing and support architecture.

I appreciate your personal presence, and I am not alone, but it is important to recognize those instances when your are making a positive contribution towards the functioning of the board (and doing Kawai any good versus just digging a deeper hole) and those instances when it might be considered as counter-productive.

Thanks in advance for your understanding.

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Wow, there's an authomatized rest done yet!
[Linked Image]

http://www.pageflip.com/setup_pagefliplite.html

And it "only" costs 199 bucks. Ok Kawai and the rest, how about just putting some moveable little pieces to hold pages if desired? Come on, it's just two more inches of wire and a couple of holes. Old pianos already had it.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by mabraman; 03/01/13 07:16 AM.

Learning piano from scratch since September, 2012.
Kawai ES7.Kawai K-200
J
J
TheJourney:

Your Kawai bashing is getting pretty tired. If you don't like it--don't buy it. Having bought it does not entitle you to endless tirades.

Pretty uninteresting stuff.

Baldwin M
Casio PX-330
Casio AP-45
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission