Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2038237 - 02/24/13 12:22 AM Baldwin "B" Grand info request
kpembrook Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Michigan
This is not the horrible 4'-whatever from the 80s. In the plate "v" it simply has the letter B and then the serial number which is from 1936. I hadn't seen one before to my recollection. Looks similar to the Baldwin "E".

Anyone know the official size? With my miniature tool case tape, it looked like ~5'6". When did they stop making them? Any other comments? Seems like it has rebuilding potential . . .

Thanks!

(ad PTG 568) Grand Action Regulation in 37 Steps
Grand Action Regulation in 37 Steps
#2039771 - 02/26/13 05:38 PM Re: Baldwin "B" Grand info request [Re: kpembrook]
kpembrook Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Just wanted to bump this one up. No one here knows about a Baldwin "B" from 1936??

I have info about one from the '20s, but it is 6'3".

Any takers??

#2039781 - 02/26/13 05:58 PM Re: Baldwin "B" Grand info request [Re: kpembrook]
Minnesota Marty Offline

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014

Loc: Rochester MN
Keith,

You might try a PM to Del Fandrich. I would bet that his knowledge of Baldwin history is extensive, or he could find out.

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.

#2039808 - 02/26/13 07:02 PM Re: Baldwin "B" Grand info request [Re: Minnesota Marty]
Del Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Olympia, Washington
Originally Posted By: Minnesota Marty
Keith,

You might try a PM to Del Fandrich. I would bet that his knowledge of Baldwin history is extensive, or he could find out.

Nope. I don't know anything about this piano. And, since most, if not all, of the historical records were destroyed decades ago I know of no way to find out. Other than to find someone whose memory is better than mine

ddf
(To contact me privately please use this e-mail address.)

Stupidity is a rare condition, ignorance is a common choice. --Anon

#2039853 - 02/26/13 08:49 PM Re: Baldwin "B" Grand info request [Re: kpembrook]
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
I suspect that some of these models referred more to case styles than to anything else. I have seen one of these Bs, but I do not recall much about it. There are also Gs and Hs, and they are all about the same size. Some of them have 26 bass notes like the R, and some have 20 like the E.

#2039858 - 02/26/13 08:52 PM Re: Baldwin "B" Grand info request [Re: kpembrook]
Del Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: kpembrook
This is not the horrible 4'-whatever from the 80s....

In defense of that "horrible 4' -whatever from the '80s...." It was a 4' 10" (148 cm) grand. The design brief was to develop a short grand piano that could be built on an assembly line much like Baldwin vertical pianos were built at the time (mid- to late-1980s). It had a target manufacturing cost of under $3,000 (which, if memory serves, was about half that of the Model M at the time.) I realized early on that it would not be possible to reach this target without designing an entirely new piano but an entirely new assembly process (for Baldwin) as well. So I ended up designing a new grand piano that was completely unlike anything Baldwin had ever built in the past. I also sketched out a new grand piano assembly process that was also unlike anything Baldwin had ever done in the past.

This was my first attempt at designing and developing a truly small grand piano. It was not only a very short piano, it was also quite narrow. In my opinion it is still one of the best looking small grand pianos out there. At the time I was just beginning to explore ideas of how to extract better performance out of very short scales and, when it was built correctly, it was a very nice little instrument.

It was rarely built correctly, however. The problems were two-fold; first marketing greatly underestimated the potential demand for the piano so the initial equipment developed had been planned for a production of about half what they ended up with. At least some of the equipment was not intended to process the production quantities initially required. Hence everything was rushed; not conducive to maintaining good quality control. Second, when I left the company the proposed assembly line had only been developed in brief, outline sketches. The new people coming in had to set up an assembly process no one was familiar with or understood and without really understanding how the piano was supposed to go together. A lot got lost in the translation.

Of all the pianos of this model I saw in dealer's showrooms and in people's homes I don't recall ever seeing one that, in my opinion, had really been as intended. In the end the company never did get its quality control act together with this piano.

I still consider this to be a good overall design for a very small piano. Were I to do design another piano of this size and type there are a few things I would change but not all that much. I'd put the bellybraces back in; they were removed for cost reasons. When I learned that I would not be using bellybracing I made the casting a bit heavier but that’s not really the same thing. I’d refine the scaling a little bit and I’d like to spend a little more time with the soundboard design. The piano was supposed to have a high-performance laminated soundboard panel—and the prototypes did—but I think that got changed somewhere along the line. I’d go back to the narrow-angle laminated panel; it sounded better. I didn’t think any of the hammers I saw on the piano really fit the scale so I’d want to do a little more work on that. But, overall, the changes would not be all that extensive.

I've serviced a couple of them over the years and, when the basic construction flaws were worked out and the little things were reasonably regulated and voiced they are quite nice little pianos. With an emphasis on "little."

ddf

ddf

#2039893 - 02/26/13 10:02 PM Re: Baldwin "B" Grand info request [Re: kpembrook]
Del Offline
5000 Post Club Member

In defense of that "horrible 4' -whatever from the '80s...." It was a 4' 10" (148 cm) grand. The design brief was to develop a short grand piano that could be built on an assembly line much like Baldwin vertical pianos were built at the time (mid- to late-1980s). It had a target manufacturing cost of under $3,000 (about half that of the Model M at the time.) I realized early on that it would not be possible to reach this target without designing an entirely new piano but an entirely new assembly process (for Baldwin) as well. So I ended up designing a new grand piano that was completely unlike anything Baldwin had ever built in the past. I also sketched out a new grand piano assembly process that was also unlike anything Baldwin had ever done in the past.

This was my first attempt at designing and developing a truly small grand piano. It was not only a very short piano, it was also quite narrow. In my opinion it is still one of the best looking small grand pianos out there. At the time I was just beginning to explore ideas of how to extract better performance out of very short scales and, when it was built correctly, it was a very nice little instrument.

It was rarely built correctly, however. The problems were two-fold; first marketing greatly underestimated the potential demand for the piano so the initial equipment developed had been planned for a production of about half what they ended up with. At least some of the equipment was not intended to process the production quantities initially required. Hence everything was rushed; not conducive to maintaining good quality control. Second, when I left the company the proposed assembly line had only been developed in brief, outline sketches. The new people coming in had to set up an assembly process no one was familiar with or understood and without really understanding how the piano was supposed to go together. A lot got lost in the translation.

Of all the pianos of this model I saw in dealer's showrooms and in people's homes I don't recall ever seeing one that, in my opinion, had really been as intended. In the end the company never did get its quality control act together with this piano.

I still consider this to be a good overall design for a very small piano. Were I to do design another piano of this size and type there are a few things I would change but not all that much. I'd put the bellybraces back in; they were removed for cost reasons. When I learned that I would not be using bellybracing I made the casting a bit heavier but that’s not really the same thing. I’d refine the scaling a little bit and I’d like to spend a little more time with the soundboard design. The piano was supposed to have a high-performance laminated soundboard panel—and the prototypes did—but I think that got changed somewhere along the line. I’d go back to the narrow-angle laminated panel; it sounded better. I didn’t think any of the hammers I saw on the piano really fit the scale so I’d want to do a little more work on that. But, overall, the changes would not be all that extensive.

I've serviced a couple of them over the years and, when the basic construction flaws were worked out and the little things were reasonably regulated and voiced they are quite nice little pianos. With an emphasis on "little."

ddf

#2041658 - 03/02/13 12:35 AM Re: Baldwin "B" Grand info request [Re: Del]
kpembrook Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Del

In defense of that "horrible 4' -whatever from the '80s...." It was a 4' 10" (148 cm) grand. The design brief was to develop a short grand piano that could be built on an assembly line much like Baldwin vertical pianos were built at the time (mid- to late-1980s). It had a target manufacturing cost of under $3,000 (about half that of the Model M at the time.) I realized early on that it would not be possible to reach this target without designing an entirely new piano but an entirely new assembly process (for Baldwin) as well. So I ended up designing a new grand piano that was completely unlike anything Baldwin had ever built in the past. I also sketched out a new grand piano assembly process that was also unlike anything Baldwin had ever done in the past.
ddf

Yes, I remember you're telling me this story. Certainly, it is superior to the Kimball Whitney grand or some of the cheap Aeolian or Wurlitzer efforts. I do like the idea of a more "classic" grand piano profile -- also achieved by the Chickering "Princess" grands with either no cheekblocks or very skinny ones. I tune a '90s era Baldwin "B" periodically. Could be worse . . .

My main source of consternation is "If you're going to the expense of building/buying a piano, why not add just a very few more inches and get a significant improvement and closer approach to legitimacy for not much more cost or effort?" How much more content is there in a 5'2" than a 4' 10"? Engineering costs, fixturing, tooling, etc. should be the same.

Nicest short piano I ever saw was the one Alfie Knight exhibited at NAMM a couple years. Don't know if he ever got into production with it. I think it was about 4'7" or so. Despite the fact that it was by far the most refined piano of that size I have ever seen, the big question that remains for me is, "Why?"

#2041659 - 03/02/13 12:37 AM Re: Baldwin "B" Grand info request [Re: kpembrook]
kpembrook Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Anyone know the official size? With my miniature tool case tape, it looked like ~5'6". When did they stop making them? Any other comments? Seems like it has rebuilding potential . . .

Just got additional measurements. It is indeed 5'6" for the case or 5' 6-3/4" with the lip of the lid. I'm not aware of any Baldwin scale of that size. Any other comments?

#2041663 - 03/02/13 12:50 AM Re: Baldwin "B" Grand info request [Re: kpembrook]
BDB Offline

The G scale was that size, but case size can be deceiving. Is there a scale designation cast into the plate? That would be a large letter or letters near the hitch pins for the lowest tenor and bass strings. How many bass notes?

In the long run, it hardly matters. You have to deal with the piano as you find it.

#2041695 - 03/02/13 03:17 AM Re: Baldwin "B" Grand info request [Re: kpembrook]
Del Offline
5000 Post Club Member

My main source of consternation is "If you're going to the expense of building/buying a piano, why not add just a very few more inches and get a significant improvement and closer approach to legitimacy for not much more cost or effort?" How much more content is there in a 5'2" than a 4' 10"? Engineering costs, fixturing, tooling, etc. should be the same.

In principle I agree. But piano makers are funny about things like that: they tend to want to build what people want to buy. And, despite being told repeatedly to avoid pianos shorter than some length or other, people go right on buying really short pianos. More of them than any other size grand on the market.

I’ve long ago given up arguing about this with marketing people. It’s not one I’m going to win. So given the reality that these things are going to remain in the product line I can at least do what I can to make them play and sound as much like real pianos as possible.

ddf

#2046066 - 03/10/13 05:15 PM Re: Baldwin "B" Grand info request [Re: BDB]
kpembrook Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: BDB
The G scale was that size, but case size can be deceiving. Is there a scale designation cast into the plate? That would be a large letter or letters near the hitch pins for the lowest tenor and bass strings. How many bass notes?

As it turns out, the letters in the back corner of the plate are "SG". Good call!
I had seen G or maybe even SG on the plate, but never the model designation "B" before.

#2046393 - 03/11/13 09:03 AM Re: Baldwin "B" Grand info request [Re: kpembrook]
RoyP Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Cincinnati, Ohio

Just got additional measurements. It is indeed 5'6" for the case or 5' 6-3/4" with the lip of the lid. I'm not aware of any Baldwin scale of that size. Any other comments?

The Baldwin Service Manual lists the G scale as being 5'6" to 5'8". So it's the right size for a G. I have seen plenty of G's, but don't remember an SG. I guess it's not that surprising. The C scale became an SC, the D became SD, etc. The M is an SA scale. Was there an A? I have a friend with a model A, but I'm not sure of the scale.

We should have some sort of Wiki, where users could post data about different piano models like this.

#2046526 - 03/11/13 03:14 PM Re: Baldwin "B" Grand info request [Re: RoyP]
kpembrook Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Roy,
Thanks for the info. I of course am familiar with the 5'8" scales. I didn't get where the 5'6" came from. The question becomes, "Where does the extra 2" come from?" Extra key length, maybe? I'd like to have a sense of how much of a Baldwin "R" is this? Pretty close except for action difference? Quirked up scale?? Hmm??

I know you can do that kind of thing with consoles quite easily -- turning a 40" scale into a 42", but with a grand there are more potential consequences.

#2046588 - 03/11/13 05:39 PM Re: Baldwin "B" Grand info request [Re: kpembrook]
RoyP Offline
500 Post Club Member

The G and R-ST are the same scale, and are listed on the same line. I assume that it says 5'6"-5'8" because the G was 5'6" and the R was 5'8". Both entries for the R (regular and Accu-just hitchpins) are listed as R-ST. The Accu-just version is slightly different. I can post the scale if you want.

#2046769 - 03/12/13 12:36 AM Re: Baldwin "B" Grand info request [Re: RoyP]
kpembrook Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: RoyP
The Accu-just version is slightly different. I can post the scale if you want.

Yes, I would be glad to get your scaling info.
Thanks.

#2046777 - 03/12/13 01:06 AM Re: Baldwin "B" Grand info request [Re: kpembrook]
BDB Offline

In any case, it is not the E scale, which has 20 bass notes and wound strings in the tenor. The G scale has 26.

#2046779 - 03/12/13 01:14 AM Re: Baldwin "B" Grand info request [Re: kpembrook]
BDB Offline

Scale G and ST are the same: 13-4, 13-1/2-4, 14-4, 14-1/2-5, 15-6, 15-1/2-6, 16-4, 16-1/2-4, 17-10. 18-8, 19-2, 20-2.

With Acu-just pins, there is one less #13 wire and one less #14-1/2 wire, and 2 more #15 wires.

#2047361 - 03/12/13 11:45 PM Re: Baldwin "B" Grand info request [Re: BDB]
RoyP Offline
500 Post Club Member

That's the same as what I have.

#2047393 - 03/13/13 12:48 AM Re: Baldwin "B" Grand info request [Re: BDB]
kpembrook Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Thanks for the wire size information. "Scale" is a slippery term and it can refer to wire sizes , but also to other factors such as speaking length or amount of backscale, for example.

Does anyone have any sense of these other scaling factors comparing the "B" with the other pianos using the SG plate casting such as the "R"? I'm still trying to puzzle out where the extra 2" is happening.

#2047675 - 03/13/13 01:28 PM Re: Baldwin "B" Grand info request [Re: Del]
bkw58 Offline

Silver Supporter until December 19, 2014

Loc: Conway, AR USA
Originally Posted By: Del

ddf

Thanks, Del. It is good to hear "the rest of the story" behind the oft denigrated Baldwin grand under discussion. It did present the appearance of a good plan, but one that failed in various ways during the implementation thereof. Don sold tons of these at his annual armory sales in Little Rock. Almost immediately came the complaints and the service calls. In due course warranty service requests came to us from the factory and even corporate to repair units sold in the region. Everything about the instrument indicated a good plan on paper, but a hurried, almost reckless abandon of sound workmanship. No doubt to keep costs in line. Warranty calls were typically all day affairs. Most, we were able to take care of, but few were returned to the factory as unserviceable. However, Del, you will be please to know that a really good one managed to find its way into a piano teacher's studio in Little Rock. Very atypical. It only required the usual prep. How it managed to survive the process is a mystery.

#2047855 - 03/13/13 08:07 PM Re: Baldwin "B" Grand info request [Re: kpembrook]
BDB Offline

The Baldwin literature lists the scale for the R as ST, not SG. I do not have any of these pianos handy.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Piece ID
by IstvnE
Yesterday at 10:14 PM
Pre purchase inspection
by mellie62
Yesterday at 10:00 PM
Do Parents want to hear the truth anymore?
by chasingrainbows
Yesterday at 09:28 PM
DEBUSSY- 'The terrace for moonlit audiences'
by Hal Freedman
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
Baldwin PS2500 ram battery
by mooh320ps
Yesterday at 07:47 PM
Who's Online
58 registered (bennevis, Altair, alfredo capurso, beet31425, 10 invisible), 914 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76281 Members
42 Forums
157681 Topics
2316085 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission