Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
138 registered (accordeur, 36251, anotherscott, 43 invisible), 1463 Guests and 22 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#2040811 - 02/28/13 02:18 PM What's Your Favorite "Vintage" Synth
Scott Hamlin Offline
500 Post Club Member

What is your favorite synth from
the "old days" (60s/70s/80s)???

Mine is the Roland D-50.

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Your Next Keyboard is at Sweetwater

Click Here

#2040842 - 02/28/13 03:12 PM Re: What's Your Favorite "Vintage" Synth [Re: Scott Hamlin]
ZoeCalgary Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Calgary Alberta
I bought a Korg M1 new in the 90's. What amazing sound it had! My only regret was not playing it more! Life got in the way. It was in mint condition and I sold it a couple of years ago to a young fellow who wanted it for it's sounds. His girlfriend was blown away when she was trying it out. He told me he loved the sounds. It was meant for bands and built like a tank!

#2040847 - 02/28/13 03:17 PM Re: What's Your Favorite "Vintage" Synth [Re: Scott Hamlin]
maurus Online   content
500 Post Club Member

For me - this one ('Elektor Formant', 1978 demo tapes):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XnxSrlJhng
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPeBJ5sAEIk

... because I built one of these myself, together with a high school friend, back in the 70's. Etching, soldering, tinkering, fiddling with the sounds, all of it. Was extremely hard to use in a performance context, though...

Edit: In many ways the total opposite of my nice little Electro with all its vintage samples today. You really had to *work* for it, and for getting sound out of it.

Edited by maurus (02/28/13 03:25 PM)

#2040927 - 02/28/13 05:28 PM Re: What's Your Favorite "Vintage" Synth [Re: ZoeCalgary]
Scott Hamlin Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: ZoeCalgary
I bought a Korg M1 new in the 90's. What amazing sound it had! My only regret was not playing it more! Life got in the way. It was in mint condition and I sold it a couple of years ago to a young fellow who wanted it for it's sounds. His girlfriend was blown away when she was trying it out. He told me he loved the sounds. It was meant for bands and built like a tank!

I think you can get an M1 VST...
going to check it out! Thanks!

#2040953 - 02/28/13 06:18 PM Re: What's Your Favorite "Vintage" Synth [Re: Scott Hamlin]
Michael H Offline

Loc: Long Island, NY
Originally Posted By: Plinky88

I think you can get an M1 VST...
going to check it out! Thanks!

Yes, you can, and coming from playing an M1 for years, I can say that the software is very authentic smile

#2040975 - 02/28/13 07:00 PM Re: What's Your Favorite "Vintage" Synth [Re: Scott Hamlin]
Dr Popper Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hancock Park LA (not again)
JP-8 ...

#2041065 - 02/28/13 10:05 PM Re: What's Your Favorite "Vintage" Synth [Re: Scott Hamlin]
o0Ampy0o Offline

Oberheim OB-X series.

Fortunately there are plenty of samples in Omnisphere.

#2041094 - 02/28/13 11:45 PM Re: What's Your Favorite "Vintage" Synth [Re: Scott Hamlin]
ZoeCalgary Offline
500 Post Club Member

How much does the M1 software cost? I wonder if it available as an iPad app?

#2041137 - 03/01/13 02:21 AM Re: What's Your Favorite "Vintage" Synth [Re: Scott Hamlin]
Paolo70 Offline

Loc: Italy
My lovely, brick-like, indestructible Roland JV-1080!

Guess what.. I got it as a wedding gift (ah, that's what friends are for :D)

Paolo

#2041144 - 03/01/13 02:43 AM Re: What's Your Favorite "Vintage" Synth [Re: ZoeCalgary]
Kumi_27 Online   content

Loc: TG, Poland
How much does the M1 software cost? I wonder if it available as an iPad app?

I'm not sure what can You run on iPad from description below.

Originally Posted By: KORG

The M1 is designed to run as a stand-alone program; or as a VST, AU or RTAS Plug-in, making it compatible with nearly any DAW software studio package.
http://www.korg.com/legacy

One instrument for 49.99 USD or a Korg six-pack for 199.99 USD

#2041149 - 03/01/13 02:55 AM Re: What's Your Favorite "Vintage" Synth [Re: Scott Hamlin]
ZoeCalgary Offline
500 Post Club Member

Thanks for the info! Wow $49 for all the M1 sounds! If they ran on the iPad I'd buy in a flash. Still...for $49 I may get it anyway!

#2041161 - 03/01/13 03:43 AM Re: What's Your Favorite "Vintage" Synth [Re: Scott Hamlin]
Cmin Offline

Loc: Swabia
It's just not the same thing.
The hardware is missing. The components that made the sounds...
Well, what am I saying.... this a DP forum. So I guess a DP is just not the same as an AP. And will never be. Everything has its pros and cons.

My favorite (hardware) synth depended on when I got it. It was always the newer one. But looking back it must have been the Juno. Or was it the T2??? I don't know - they were all great. I couldn't even part with any of them.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FP-80, HP 3000s, synths, guitars, mics, MBP, interfaces, Voicelive 2, ableton, Pianoteq, nubert A-200 active monitors

#2041594 - 03/01/13 08:22 PM Re: What's Your Favorite "Vintage" Synth [Re: Scott Hamlin]
R_B Offline
500 Post Club Member

MKS-20

#2041604 - 03/01/13 09:16 PM Re: What's Your Favorite "Vintage" Synth [Re: Scott Hamlin]
dje31 Offline

I'm pretty partial to my XP-30, though its 1999 release probably doesn't qualify as vintage, since you specified 3+ decades prior.

Nor would the Little Phatty, but at this stage I'll sacrifce and trade vintage and authenticity for reliability and versatility.

Edited by dje31 (03/01/13 09:19 PM)

#2041689 - 03/02/13 02:41 AM Re: What's Your Favorite "Vintage" Synth [Re: Scott Hamlin]
Tyruke Offline

Loc: Anaheim, California, USA
Yamaha DX7-IID, the presets had some great sounds for some nice gospel tunes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIn-n2ebENo

Edited by Tyruke (03/02/13 03:21 AM)

#2041694 - 03/02/13 03:14 AM Re: What's Your Favorite "Vintage" Synth [Re: Scott Hamlin]
CarloPiano Offline

Mine is Yamaha DX7-II. Such amazing emulations 100% synthed (no samples). I love the digital pianos, slap bass, harmonica, brass, mallets... Strings are not that good, although they are way better than on the original DX7. Even the acoustic piano patch is interesting while its really far from what it tries to emulate.

#2041696 - 03/02/13 03:21 AM Re: What's Your Favorite "Vintage" Synth [Re: CarloPiano]
Tyruke Offline

Loc: Anaheim, California, USA
Originally Posted By: CarloPiano
Mine is Yamaha DX7-II. Such amazing emulations 100% synthed (no samples). I love the digital pianos, slap bass, harmonica, brass, mallets... Strings are not that good, although they are way better than on the original DX7. Even the acoustic piano patch is interesting while its really far from what it tries to emulate.

Just realized that's the one I meant to say. Even the video I linked to was DX7-II lol silly mistake.

#2041698 - 03/02/13 03:24 AM Re: What's Your Favorite "Vintage" Synth [Re: Scott Hamlin]
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: The Netherlands
PolyMoog or Jupiter 8, but I'll probably change my mind every time you ask that...there have been many great sounding synths, that's why we are still(!) trying to emulate them, again and again and again...

#2041749 - 03/02/13 07:52 AM Re: What's Your Favorite "Vintage" Synth [Re: CarloPiano]
dewster Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern NJ
Originally Posted By: CarloPiano

The DX7 was quite an engineering achievement. Waveforms in the log domain so an add is a multiply, lots of tricks to get the FM algorithms to fit in those early crude ICs.

Can't remember where I read it, but IIRC someone was flown in to make the initial presets and only give some ridiculously short period of time to make them in, like a day or a week or something. Given how non-intuitively the FM parameters map to output timbre, that must have been a huge headache.

I owned a used FS1r for a couple of years and sold it on eBay for more than I bought it for. It had a typically cryptic Yamaha UI which made the front panel controls almost pointless. Format implementation seemed like an afterthought. Seems like they were just going through the motions in the design phase, which is too bad, it could have been a real monster.

#2041771 - 03/02/13 09:24 AM Re: What's Your Favorite "Vintage" Synth [Re: JFP]
Dr Popper Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hancock Park LA (not again)
Originally Posted By: JFP
PolyMoog or Jupiter 8, but I'll probably change my mind every time you ask that...there have been many great sounding synths, that's why we are still(!) trying to emulate them, again and again and again...

Emulations generally are fairly disappointing ..... Which is why I have so many boards. I've never met a Polymoog VST I liked all that much. But the CS-80v sure beats screwing around with a real one. But I freely admit that when I want JP-8 sounds my first choice is to turn on a JP-8

#2041819 - 03/02/13 11:30 AM Re: What's Your Favorite "Vintage" Synth [Re: Scott Hamlin]
toddy Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Portugal
Isn't it astonishing that, given the progress of consumer electronics and computers since the 80's, no decent classic synth seems to have emerged. The classics to my mind are the mini moog, ARP 2600, prophet 5, jp8, DX7, Fairlight CMI, OB8. Many lesser achievements such as the Korg MonoPoly also deserve praise.

The possibilities for additive and or subtractive synthesis, with advanced modelling options, are immense! Multiple oscillators, controlled by complex interactive banks of filters, for example. These things were simply impossible in the 80s and before, but now would be easy for a good programmer/designer team.

But we're stuck with phatty copies and software emulations of relics. V poor.

Reaper / NI Komplete 9 /Kontakt 5// EWQL Sym Choirs/ Sym Orchestra Silver/ MOR2
Mics: SP B1 & MXL V67g/ Alesis MicTube Preamp/ Xenyx302/ Yamaha HS7s .

"Only a fool is fooled" pv88, All Fools' Day 2014.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
- > Gift Ideas for Music Lovers < -
From PianoSupplies.com a division of Piano World.
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Experienced pianist: digital piano to "replace" grand
by integris
12/18/14 05:39 PM
why do I suddenly have clacking bass notes
by music32
12/18/14 04:57 PM
Kawai Digital Piano
by Deegs23
12/18/14 03:28 PM
A new clip of the great Don Pullen in action
by rintincop
12/18/14 01:41 PM
A new clip of the great Don Pullen in action
by rintincop
12/18/14 01:38 PM
Forum Stats
77340 Members
42 Forums
159960 Topics
2349158 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission