2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
35 members (beeboss, Animisha, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, admodios, busa, drumour, Foxtrot3, 3 invisible), 1,277 guests, and 258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
A
I am playing Bach Prelude in C major and its three pages long. I have never played anything more than two pages and I have no problem with three pages but at the moment when I get to the bottom of page two, my hands get tired. This piece is not meant to be played slowly and I am not used to faster playing for more than one page. Also turning pages and keeping the smooth speed going hard as I tend to slow down to flip the page.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Plinky88

"The piece started with a rest of seventeen months..."
HAHAHAHAHA laugh

I think 63 pages for the Rach 2 is the longest I have ever done. But at one point, I was halfway through Liszt's transcription of Beethoven's 9th Symphony, which I believe would be about double the Rach 2 (considering pagination, layout, etc).

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Derulux

HAHAHAHAHA laugh

Yes.. I am mirroring the St. Burchardi church performance..
my next sound change is is to played on October 5th of this year.. then a 7 year "rest"... next change isn't until September 5th, 2020. cool

B
B
What is a page though? Some pages have 20 measures, some have 30. My longest is Chopin's Raindrop Prelude (relative to time), Op 28 No 15. It was 3 pages, or just about 90 bars. However, the recital submission I just did (Ombre, Ludovico Einaudi) was 5 pages, but only 101 bars and significantly less time, about 2 minutes.

Nick
O
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
O
About 4 minutes, which is already a huge challenge to my concentration span... I wonder how on earth I could ever play a full sonata...even if I was technically able. I would probably need to get up and do a little dance between the movements... grin

EDIT: Actually if I count the repeated motions of the Scarlatti sonatas I can go up to almost 9 minutes smile

Last edited by outo; 02/28/13 02:47 AM.
A
A
The piece I am currently trying to polish is nine pages long; about six minutes to play. It's not particularly dense, and patterned enough to be memorised easily.

David Lanz's Variations on Pachelbel's Canon in D counts 13 pages and will have to wait for my reading skills to pick up a bit more. And I can't even dream about playing that 60+ page monstrosity Derulux mentioned!

David Lanz - Skyline Firedance Suite
Nobuo Uematsu - Final Fantasy 7 Main Theme
[Linked Image]
B
B
Yes, by any standards, 60 pages is just that: a monstrosity laugh

Nick
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Fantasie Impronptu has loads o` pages. I got through that years ago by memory albeit somewat simplified), I have tape of it somewhere; I dread to think of what I sounded like now. Many of the sections are repeated with annoying slight variations.

I corrected Chopin on this. Heh heh . .

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Chopin 9/3 nocturne, 9 pages. The larghetto from Chopin's op 11 concerto, 9 pages.

Slow down and do it right.
[Linked Image]
D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by beechcraft409
What is a page though? Some pages have 20 measures, some have 30.

If you're referring to my post, that's exactly what I was compensating for. Beethoven's 9th (in the edition I have) is only 54 pages, but because there is no "piano redux" line--the whole thing is a piano redux of a symphony and not a piano concerto like the Rach 2--it clocks in at twice the length.

Rachmaninoff's 2nd piano concerto clocks in around 30-32 minutes.
Beethoven's 9th clocks in around an hour.

I didn't realize this was in the ABF when I first posted it. I thought this was the Pianist's Corner. Sometimes, I get confused late at night. smile

When I was a beginner, I would say the longest piece I played was Paul Lincke's "The Glowworm". Around 7 minutes.

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Get a different edition - my version of the prelude in C fits on two pages wink

• Debussy - Le Petit Nègre, L. 114
  • Haydn - Sonata in Gm, Hob. XVI/44

Kawai K3
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
B
B

If you're referring to my post, that's exactly what I was compensating for. Beethoven's 9th (in the edition I have) is only 54 pages, but because there is no "piano redux" line--the whole thing is a piano redux of a symphony and not a piano concerto like the Rache

I was just speaking in general terms, not necessarily specifically at anybody. I certainly wasn't trying to undermine your achievement. I was just pointing out that composition 'length' can be measured in several ways.

Nick
D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D

If you're referring to my post, that's exactly what I was compensating for. Beethoven's 9th (in the edition I have) is only 54 pages, but because there is no "piano redux" line--the whole thing is a piano redux of a symphony and not a piano concerto like the Rache

I was just speaking in general terms, not necessarily specifically at anybody. I certainly wasn't trying to undermine your achievement. I was just pointing out that composition 'length' can be measured in several ways.

No worries.. wasn't thinking that at all. smile

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
what is the longest piece of music you have played

Mozart's K540 Adagio in B minor. Just over 6 minutes to play, and I didn't include the repeats. Surprisingly, the sheets I learned this from were on 3 pages (a very dense 3 pages).

Learning to play since June 2009.
My piano diary on You Tube: http://www.youtube.com/user/afpaSTU1096
[Linked Image] <- 10+ ABF recitals
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by adultpianist
I have never played anything more than two pages and I have no problem with three pages but at the moment when I get to the bottom of page two, my hands get tired.
My brain always gets tired much sooner than my hands!

This piece is not meant to be played slowly and I am not used to faster playing for more than one page.
That probably takes some working up to and getting use to.

Also turning pages and keeping the smooth speed going hard as I tend to slow down to flip the page.
You could try copying the pages and spreading them all out across the music desk, so you won't have any page turns. I think I have done this with up to 7 pages. (But that was a stretch!) Other alternatives -- Find a good place in the music where you have a short break with one of the hands, and turn there. (This isn't always the way the music is typeset on the page.) Or memorize the piece!

Mary Bee
Current mantra: Play outside the box.
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] XVI-XXXVI

HAHAHAHAHA laugh

I think 63 pages for the Rach 2 is the longest I have ever done. But at one point, I was halfway through Liszt's transcription of Beethoven's 9th Symphony, which I believe would be about double the Rach 2 (considering pagination, layout, etc).

I read a book that long once, hahaha smile

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I have no problem with three pages but at the moment when I get to the bottom of page two, my hands get tired. This piece is not meant to be played slowly and I am not used to faster playing for more than one page. Also turning pages and keeping the smooth speed going hard as I tend to slow down to flip the page.
If you are playing with tension in your hands or other parts of your body, you will tire quickly. If you are playing without tension, than the fatigue will gradually go away with practice.

As far as page turns, since it's a 3 page piece, why not photocopy the 3rd page and tape it onto the second? Then you've eliminated the page turn! The other solution is to memorize a few measures before and after the page turn so you can choose a convenient place to turn the page. You can also curl the lower corner of the page or attach a sticky note to the side of the page to make it easier to grasp when you turn.

(Last year I worked on a beast: Beethoven's Waldstein, Opus 53. It had 32 pages and I had it memorized. Took about 25 minutes.)

Best regards,

Deborah

Silver Supporter until Jan 01 2013
500 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Jan 01 2013
500 Post Club Member
I am playing Bach Prelude in C major and its three pages long. I have never played anything more than two pages and I have no problem with three pages but at the moment when I get to the bottom of page two, my hands get tired. This piece is not meant to be played slowly and I am not used to faster playing for more than one page. Also turning pages and keeping the smooth speed going hard as I tend to slow down to flip the page.

One of my editions of this Prelude in C major is also 3 pages. I prefer the 3-page edition, as there's more white space, less of a cramped feel, and it's easier to annotate. I solve the '3-page problem' by taking a copy of each page and sticking them together (on the back) with some good stiff tape, to make a single item that will sit on the music stand. No page turning.

And the longest piece I've played? A ground by John Blow that comes in at around 4mins-odd, but felt like an eternity when playing the whole thing.

Currently working on: F. Couperin - Preludes & Sweelinck - Fantasia Chromatica
J.S. Bach, Einaudi, Purcell, Froberger, Croft, Blow, Frescobaldi, Glass, Couperin
1930s upright (piano) & single manual William Foster (harpsichord)
[Linked Image]
T
T
Mozart's K310 sonata. Just played it this evening for my aunt and grandfather, without repeats - took me about 15 minutes.

Working on:
Beethoven - Piano Sonata No. 21 in C major, Op. 53 ("Waldstein")
Chopin - Op. 9 No. 3 in B major
-------------
Steingraeber B-192
Kawai CA97
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission