2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
55 members (beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, Carey, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, 10 invisible), 1,978 guests, and 314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 397 of 425 1 2 395 396 397 398 399 424 425
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
That is quite a nice rendition of the A flat waltz, indeed.

For those who might be new to this piece, a note: The version found in most older books is one heavily edited/altered by Fontana, not the original version, which can also be found. Some people, including me, like some aspects of both and combine elements of each version when playing the waltz. Maybe not quite authentic but I like it that way.

As you probably know, today is His Birthday.

[Linked Image]

(Wrong kind of violets but they're what I've got.)

And as of this month, it's been 20 years since I first made his acquaintance. So nearly that long being piano-obsessed. Boże moj! I've been thinking a lot about what I have and have not accomplished during that time.

Elene

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Elene
As you probably know, today is His Birthday.

Love the capital H! grin

[Linked Image]

(Wrong kind of violets but they're what I've got.)....

Huh.....what's the violets thing, and why isn't that the right kind?

Anyway.... smile how about if I offer these TUBEROSES, in honor of the B major Nocturne from Op. 62 which (as James Huneker wrote; I've never seen it said anywhere else but I don't care) ha ....which is nicknamed the Tuberose Nocturne.

[Linked Image]

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Mark, violets were famously Chopin's favorite flower, with roses coming in second. Those would have been European sweet violets, which I have never encountered myself. I was always puzzled by references to the scent of violets, since the viola species we have around here have no scent at all, but Mary-Rose has assured me that they have quite a strong fragrance. The violets in the picture are African violets in my dining room, not related at all, but still lovely and in shades of his favorite color.

And I'm sure he'd enjoy the tuberoses too. I suppose some British or American publisher stuck that name on the nocturne-- hard to imagine why.

If you visit Chopin's grave, you will find not only violets laid as offerings, but mounds of red and white roses. I suppose one could find white violets and add a red ribbon.

Elene

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Old-fashioned violets are not flashy, nor in-your-face; they hide in the shade under trees and larger plants. But their modest appearance is belied by their beautiful strong fragrance. We have some at the bottom of our garden.

You can see a photo here:

http://extraloudpurrs.blogspot.co.uk/

Happy Birthday dear Chopin - you are forever young and fresh.

L
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L
These must be the ones, violettes de Toulouse in the backyard. My daughter is named after them.

[img:left][Linked Image][/img] [img:left][Linked Image] [img:left][Linked Image][/img]

L
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L
They do have a lovely parfume. Musk but in fact very subtle, you have to close your eyes and let yourself be seduced ...

Curiously ( and this will be right up the alley of some of the Chopin devoted ) when we bought this house we found a cabinet filled with old Chopin scores ... and solfège notebooks ...

Last edited by landorrano; 03/02/13 07:56 AM.
L
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
L
I CAN'T believe that I let Chopin's 213'th birthday slip by without a notice. I blame it all on so many senior moments that it's laughable.

But last night I was reminded of it as I watched an interview with Garrick Ohlsson on Youtube on my new TV that allows me to get on Youtube and watch/listen in bright color and beautiful sound.

Please, please do watch it. This interview was so excellent it defies words. Mr. Ohlsson, a very repected authority on Chopin, gave a detailed insight into just what makes Chopin's music so sublime. He played the nocturne in D flat that (nothing new here) brought tears to my eyes.

The site is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zI1XWrPNaAM.

In closing, I can only say that Chopin's music has made my life bearable so many times. His genius has touched me as nothing else has. So Happy Birthday, dearest and treasured of friends. Thank you from the bottom of my being.

Kathleen

Chopin’s music is all I need to look into my soul.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Thanks for the Ohlsson link, Kathleen!

Fryderyk is "only" 203, though. (I can't believe it's been 2 1/2 years since I went to Europe to celebrate his 200th!)

And thanks for the lovely violet photos, MR and landorrano. Best to both and to landorrano's attractively-named daughter.

Enjoy the Chopaholic's "High Holy Days" (March 1-5), all!

Elene

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
My husband just called out, "STOP THE VIOLETS!"

I hope you don't mind, landorrano-- I copied two of your violet photos and put one on my Facebook profile. If you do mind, I will take it down immediately.

Elene

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Or these, Parma violets, which were the popular ones grown for the Paris flower markets. I planted some once but our wild violets, which look much like landorrano's, crowded them out. Just as well, I suppose.

[Linked Image]

Slow down and do it right.
[Linked Image]
L
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L
Now those are snazzy violets, but I bet they don't have any parfume.

I hope you don't mind, landorrano

Avec plaisir!

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Our Friend was also very fond of this stuff:
[Linked Image]

Tokaji, Hungarian wine very popular in the Poland of his time. This is a bottle from 1840 labelled for the English market.

[Linked Image]
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by landorrano
Now those are snazzy violets, but I bet they don't have any parfume.

Supposedly they do, but I've never smelled one or even seen more than a few puny plants in person. The wild ones are better.

[Linked Image]
C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
Hi folks, long time no post. Anybody know what was wrong with the first Pianino sent to Majorca?

Laissez tomber les mains
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Actually, no-- I thought there was only one. So I'll bite. What was wrong with it?

(And isn't it a little odd that there wasn't a local instrument around to be rented or bought?)

I'm thinking of a scene in the '70s Masterpiece Theater production "Notorious Woman." Chopin is horrified to hear that the piano he ordered has been left out exposed on the dock. "But what if it rains?" he asks. The man in charge shrugs and says, "Piano get wet."

Elene

L
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
L
Speaking of pianos...how many of you use your piano as a piece of furniture, aside from a musical instrument, that is?

Come on, be honest. What do you put on it? If it's just music or a lamp or metronome, then fine. But it's been known that some people use it to display photographs, knick-knacks and various other "stuff" that has nothing to do with music.

I'm proud to admit that mine allows nothing but a fine layer of dust. blush

Kathleen

Chopin’s music is all I need to look into my soul.
C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
Actually, no-- I thought there was only one. So I'll bite. What was wrong with it?

Sorry, maybe I'm mistaken about Majorca. I'm sure there was an occasion when Chopin sent a Pleyel back cause he didn't like it and got another one sent to him. Anybody know?

Laissez tomber les mains
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Speaking of pianos...how many of you use your piano as a piece of furniture, aside from a musical instrument, that is?

Come on, be honest. What do you put on it? If it's just music or a lamp or metronome, then fine. But it's been known that some people use it to display photographs, knick-knacks and various other "stuff" that has nothing to do with music.

My Piano has had his spring polish today and has a nice embroidered cloth on his top. I have a nice lamp there too with framed portraits of The Master, Liszt and Chopin ( of course) candles in holders ( not lit only the tea light one) and my Grandad's old Victorian and Edwardian photos in a display box there. Also some of my music files and books (hidden behind the portraits- I haven't anywhere else to put them really).

The photos of the violets are lovely- will have to get some for my garden!

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by chopin_r_us

Sorry, maybe I'm mistaken about Majorca. I'm sure there was an occasion when Chopin sent a Pleyel back cause he didn't like it and got another one sent to him. Anybody know?

I don't think that actually happened. When Chopin was on Majorca he (or more probably George) managed to rent a very bad local piano, sticking keys, wouldn't hold a tuning, the works. Your basic land fill piano but it was the best they could do. Chopin wasn't best pleased. He held his breath (so to speak) until he got (after some Byzantine difficulty with customs) the Pleyel he'd leased and had had shipped from Paris. This is the little Pleyel upright that's still displayed in the Chopin "cell" on Majorca. When he finally got his Pleyel the landfill special went back where it came from (or Chopin burned it and gleefully stomped on the cinders) and he was happy (at least as happy as he could be when gravely ill and feeling stranded.) When Chopin and George left Majorca, George arranged the sale of the leased Pleyel to a Majorcan family. It was their descendants who donated (or sold) it to the museum.

This one. I've seen it though the dragon guarding it wouldn't let me take my own picture (which would've been better than this.)
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by loveschopintoomuch

Kathleen

My old square grand, Samantha, an 1887 Mathushek, is a bit of a piece of furniture, since I can't afford to keep two pianos in good tune all the time. (I also have a nimble little 1937 Kurtzmann grand that I play most.) I've gradually made a little Chopin/Keats shrine on the Mathushek square. It's got a very small Persian runner across the back holding Chopin's death mask, a framed copper music printing plate (18th century and not Chopin), my copy of the second (circa 1840 and not so valuable) edition of the etudes, Keats' life mask and a few Victorian piano method books with quaint pretty covers. I've got very little on the Kurtzmann, just a small clock, sometimes a metronome, and a box of tissues. (And just occasionally a choice hibiscus bloom in a shot glass.)

Hibiscus Black Dragon on the corner of the Kurtzmann
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Page 397 of 425 1 2 395 396 397 398 399 424 425

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission