Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#2045927 - 03/10/13 12:52 PM Re: New Kawai CA-15 on KAWAI UK and Germany websites! [Re: Temperament]
gvfarns Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
Originally Posted By: Temperament
What parameters of GF are superb, what of RM3-II?

Is it conceivable to prefer RM3-II to the GF (disregard price)?

I understand, that GF key length is significantly longer and in theory it should be a clear advantage, but how in praxis?

I think we all want to know this--I know I do. Unfortunately only a few people have played both and reported back. My feeling looking over the comments of people who have played both it seems that the differences are not very large. At least not large enough that they immediately get reported.

Edited by gvfarns (03/10/13 12:52 PM)

(ad) Roland

Click Here

#2052075 - 03/21/13 05:45 PM Re: New Kawai CA-15 on KAWAI UK and Germany websites! [Re: Temperament]
mactoe Offline

Kawai CA15, March 2013

Unboxing. Assembly. Playing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SxF6sPg1JY

#2052250 - 03/22/13 02:56 AM Re: New Kawai CA-15 on KAWAI UK and Germany websites! [Re: mactoe]
theJourney Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Banned
Originally Posted By: mactoe
Kawai CA15, March 2013

Great video!

Especially appreciate the segment demonstrating the sound of the keys during silent play. What a quiet keyboard! Perhaps one of the best dps out there for silent play without disturbing house mates or (downstairs) neighbors!

#2052259 - 03/22/13 03:29 AM Re: New Kawai CA-15 on KAWAI UK and Germany websites! [Re: mactoe]
Kawai James Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
Originally Posted By: mactoe
Kawai CA15, March 2013

Thank you for the video mactoe.

The inclusion of the bench suggests that you are not based in Europe, and this model is not sold in North America, which leads me to believe you may be based in Asia.

Anyway, thank you once again for posting the video, and congrats on your new piano!

Kind regards,
James
x

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#2052264 - 03/22/13 03:50 AM Re: New Kawai CA-15 on KAWAI UK and Germany websites! [Re: Temperament]
mabraman Offline

Loc: Valencia, Spain
Hardboard!Hardboard!
Could someone add this to the improvements list?

Now, seriously: when talking about a new or improved tone generator, what do you exactly mean? Is it better than, i.e.,ES7?

#2053089 - 03/23/13 06:26 PM Re: New Kawai CA-15 on KAWAI UK and Germany websites! [Re: Temperament]
sieg66 Offline

Loc: paris
Originally Posted By: Temperament
I am very interested too, whether by which margin and to which extent GF is superior to RM3-II? What features are different?
(weighting, responsiveness, hardness, stiffness, noise, repetition...subjective feeling)

What parameters of GF are superb, what of RM3-II?

Is it conceivable to prefer RM3-II to the GF (disregard price)?

I understand, that GF key length is significantly longer and in theory it should be a clear advantage, but how in praxis?

I haven't tried RM3-II but I did try RM3-I and GF. The first was a bit to heavy for me, and the second was slightly to light. Some weights in the back of the key could have been a solution. Nonetheless, the long distance to pivot is nice.

#2053091 - 03/23/13 06:37 PM Re: New Kawai CA-15 on KAWAI UK and Germany websites! [Re: Temperament]
maurus Offline
500 Post Club Member

Same here, I also compared RM3-I and GF recently (since I'm interested in the VPC which also features RM3-II). Both actions (played without sound) are very good, and while the longer keys are nice for sure and make for a very enjoyable playing (I tried it on the CA65) I would think both actions are so nice that it all depends on how well sound and action are integrated.

Of course the third sensor is crucial as it influences the behavior of the action, hence RM3-I goes only so far as a comparison.

#2053337 - 03/24/13 08:31 AM Re: New Kawai CA-15 on KAWAI UK and Germany websites! [Re: maurus]
theJourney Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Banned
Originally Posted By: maurus
I would think both actions are so nice that it all depends on how well sound and action are integrated.

Indeed.

This is the reason I prefer Roland's offering. The keyboard may not have any wood in it like Kawai's, but the PHAIII keyboard is fast and responsive and its integration with a realistic, alive sounding tone generator is very well done allowing one to articulate and color.

#2054816 - 03/26/13 09:12 PM Re: New Kawai CA-15 on KAWAI UK and Germany websites! [Re: theJourney]
mactoe Offline

Originally Posted By: theJourney

Great video!

Especially appreciate the segment demonstrating the sound of the keys during silent play. What a quiet keyboard! Perhaps one of the best dps out there for silent play without disturbing house mates or (downstairs) neighbors!

The Audio Technica headphones, in the vid, do have a slight "noise leakage" at mid volume. So sound can be slightly heard from it if seated in close proximity.

Etymotic's hf5 earphones, not in vid but used on occasion, at the same level, however, produce no "noise leakage."

Saying that, I can quite comfortably be in the next room without being disturbed with either 'phone being used.

We did look at others models and piano brands, notably the Yamaha CLP430-440, if i can recall correctly. For what it is, the CA15 ticked all the requirements.

Originally Posted By: Kawai James

Thank you for the video mactoe.

The inclusion of the bench suggests that you are not based in Europe, and this model is not sold in North America, which leads me to believe you may be based in Asia.

Anyway, thank you once again for posting the video, and congrats on your new piano!

Kind regards,
James
x

smile

No worries.

Edited by mactoe (06/02/13 09:40 PM)

#2067793 - 04/20/13 09:22 PM Re: New Kawai CA-15 on KAWAI UK and Germany websites! [Re: Temperament]
cubeman Offline

Hello all,

Came across this very nice video and thought might be good to share!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyUKWsBmGro

#2067864 - 04/21/13 04:56 AM Re: New Kawai CA-15 on KAWAI UK and Germany websites! [Re: cubeman]
peterws Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
Good stuff for the kids! Reminds me of my ole Kawai . . . However good or bad one finds the piano, it is capable of playing excellent music! Are we? cursing

""

#2067883 - 04/21/13 06:24 AM Re: New Kawai CA-15 on KAWAI UK and Germany websites! [Re: Temperament]
Barnie Offline

Yesterday I went to a shop in Copenhagen, which have both in stock. After playing af range of different acoustic grands and uprights, I tried bot Roland, Yamaha and Kawai digitals.

Roland and Yamaha both felt unnatural to me, so it all went down to CA-15 and CA-65 (CA-95 was out of my pricerange).

I can confirm, that GF is lighter than RM3-II, which again seemed very much like RM3-I to me. Comparing to the acoustics, the GF was the one closest to the action of a grand.

At the end of the day I ended up with the CA-65. The acoustics were pretty much comparable to CA-65, with the exception being Steinway grands, which are in a league of their own (yet costs 20 times as much).

The sound of the CA-95 is a whole lot better than the CA-65, but most of the time I will be playing with headphones, so I couldn't really see why I should spend £800 more. If I want better sound, I will get a pianolibrary for the computer and connect with external amplifiers.

Just my 2-cents for now

#2067942 - 04/21/13 10:12 AM Re: New Kawai CA-15 on KAWAI UK and Germany websites! [Re: Temperament]
toddy Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Portugal
Good stuff for the kids!

lol

Don't know exactly what this means but 'lol' in any case.

ps, it's nicely recorded and gives a brighter, possibly more sustained, sound than my Roland. The Roland, on the other hand, is more rounded and has more body & the decay is more natural. But they are not very different when put right next to each other in 'the same mix'.

Reaper / NI Komplete 9 /Kontakt 5// EWQL Sym Choirs/ Sym Orchestra Silver/ MOR2
Mics: SP B1 & MXL V67g/ Alesis MicTube Preamp/ Xenyx302/ Yamaha HS7s .

"Only a fool is fooled" pv88, All Fools' Day 2014.

#2067975 - 04/21/13 11:25 AM Re: New Kawai CA-15 on KAWAI UK and Germany websites! [Re: Barnie]
Temperament Offline

Loc: Hun,EU
Thank You Barnie, Your comparison was the first one and very long awaited for. (GF vs. RM3-II).

Could You build an opinion about other aspects of the actions, was the GF of the CA65 in every other respect better or at least equal, regarding responsiveness, fast repetition, smooth and silent bottoming. (I found the GF quiet enough but interesting would be a direct comparison though.)

Originally Posted By: Barnie
The sound of the CA-95 is a whole lot better than the CA-65, but most of the time I will be playing with headphones, so I couldn't really see why I should spend £800 more. If I want better sound, I will get a piano library for the computer and connect with external amplifiers.

I have sort of decided to get the CA65 for the same reason, but in the last time I happen to play more without headphones (partly for my neck problems, I will avoid weight of headphones with cords give some (though) extra physical burden to the herniated discs.)
So I am willing to spend 800EUR more for the CA95 but I was awaiting just for these type of comparison.

OTOH the extra cost for CA-95 is justified only if sound quality fed back from VSTis like Galaxy (VintageD, ViennaGrand) and Pianoteq using a quality audio interface to the Speaker/Soundboard system works well enough and I don't feel the need to use some extra boxes+subs afterwards anymore. Some thoughts/experiences?

#2068044 - 04/21/13 01:51 PM Re: New Kawai CA-15 on KAWAI UK and Germany websites! [Re: Temperament]
Barnie Offline

I had the wife with me, and according to her, the GF is slightly more silent that RM3-II, but both are quite silent.

As far as I could tell, I didn't find the GF less competent in any area than the RM3-II. Though a bit lighter, I didn't it feel run from me like I do with some acoustic grands. I would place it in the lighter class, but the Steinway I did my warmup on was even lighter.

I have yet to connect it to a VSTi, but pianoteq has already been downloaded, so will try it out in near future. The CA-95 primarily differed in the bass. It can be a bit shallow in CA-65, whereas it is felt even through the pedals on the CA-95. Quite impressive, but still for me not enough to justify the pricegap.

#2069743 - 04/24/13 03:50 AM Re: New Kawai CA-15 on KAWAI UK and Germany websites! [Re: adak]
Barnie Offline

Originally Posted By: adak
Does anyone else find the music stand looks short? How does it hold individual sheets of music? If there is a problem I hope it gets fixed in the next upgrade.

The stand on CA-15 is identical to those on CA-65 and CA-95. It is indeed a bit short, and sometimes single sheets tend to bend over. A slight vertical fold helps though, and the strip of cloth helps holding up the sheets.

#2069786 - 04/24/13 06:31 AM Re: New Kawai CA-15 on KAWAI UK and Germany websites! [Re: Temperament]
debrucey Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Manchester, UK
All digital piano music stands are too short.
Esa-Pekka Salonen - Dichotomie
Kevin Oldham - Ballade, Op. 17

#2220553 - 01/25/14 12:16 PM Re: New Kawai CA-15 on KAWAI UK and Germany websites! [Re: Temperament]
kapelli Offline

Loc: Poland
I have a question concerning ins and outs in CA15.
Is it possible to play the VST instrumenty via internal speakers?

Edited by kapelli (01/25/14 01:02 PM)

#2220869 - 01/26/14 03:14 AM Re: New Kawai CA-15 on KAWAI UK and Germany websites! [Re: kapelli]
evamar Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Spanish living in UK
Originally Posted By: kapelli

It's got MIDI in/out and 2 headphone jacks. Maybe with a MIDI-USB connector? I didn't buy it because it doesn't have USB to device connector, other than that the sound and specially the touch was extremely good.

Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted

#2220889 - 01/26/14 05:32 AM Re: New Kawai CA-15 on KAWAI UK and Germany websites! [Re: kapelli]
toddy Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Although you can use the CA15 as a VST controller (like any DP) it does not appear to have audio inputs. So, no - you couldn't use it play a VST - the CA65/95 does have audio inputs, though.

#2220894 - 01/26/14 05:52 AM Re: New Kawai CA-15 on KAWAI UK and Germany websites! [Re: Temperament]
LarryMan Online   content

Hi there,

According to the manual it has MIDI IN and MIDI OUT.
They can be of any help with VSD?

#2220907 - 01/26/14 06:52 AM Re: New Kawai CA-15 on KAWAI UK and Germany websites! [Re: toddy]
kapelli Offline

Loc: Poland
Originally Posted By: toddy

Although you can use the CA15 as a VST controller (like any DP) it does not appear to have audio inputs. So, no - you couldn't use it play a VST - the CA65/95 does have audio inputs, though.

Thanks for clarification, it's a pity that they did so much of savings in a such good piano, no usb no audio

#2220908 - 01/26/14 06:54 AM Re: New Kawai CA-15 on KAWAI UK and Germany websites! [Re: Temperament]
toddy Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Yes, you need MIDI OUT so the keyboard can send messages to the computer, to trigger the piano tones in the computer. All digital pianos (without any exception as far as I
know) have this capability, or MIDI over USB (which amounts to the same thing).

However, the questioner said they wanted to play the resulting sound from the computer through the piano. You'd need audio inputs to do this. You can't do this on the CA15, but you can on the CA65 & CA95 - as well as the Yamaha CLP 440 and Roland HP505 (which are roughly equivalent models).

#2220952 - 01/26/14 09:34 AM Re: New Kawai CA-15 on KAWAI UK and Germany websites! [Re: toddy]
LarryMan Online   content

I had in mind that MIDI IN could help on that..sorry

What the MID IN interface be useful for?

Thanks

#2220961 - 01/26/14 09:50 AM Re: New Kawai CA-15 on KAWAI UK and Germany websites! [Re: Temperament]
toddy Offline
1000 Post Club Member

The big difference between MIDI and audio inputs (called 'line' or 'aux' usually) is that MIDI does not deal in sound at all - it just sends messages from one electronic box to another - basically about which notes are being played, but much more besides.

So the MIDI IN on a DP would be to send messages from a computer to trigger sounds inside the DP or to change patch, for example. Generally speaking, it is the MIDI OUT on a DP (or other keyboard) which is more important because that transmits which keys you're actually playing, and how. And that is what you'd be using to make the VST work in the computer.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
137 registered (AmateurBob, Almaviva, 36251, 46 invisible), 1667 Guests and 39 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74258 Members
42 Forums
153603 Topics
2251261 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
DIsassemble Kawai MP10/MP11
by prox
04/20/14 10:59 AM
Action regulating
by pater57
04/20/14 08:59 AM
Kurzweil SP5-8 as main studio keyboard/stage piano
by Barty
04/20/14 08:33 AM
Greg Pauley in Concert June 1st, Sunday 3:30pm
by Larry Buck
04/20/14 07:58 AM
Happy Easter!
by Marko in Boston
04/20/14 06:58 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission