2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
56 members (accordeur, Carey, AlkansBookcase, brdwyguy, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, bcalvanese, 6 invisible), 1,893 guests, and 282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
RoyR Offline OP
OP Offline
R
I was wondering if any of you might be able to suggest good practice routines to use in developing the ability to play steady left hand arpeggios along with a mixed melody on the right hand.

I'm hoping there are several step-by-step methods to follow to work up to the complex arpeggio/melody combinations.

Now I am able to roll the bass chords or vary the sequence those notes are struck while playing a right-hand melody, but I have trouble maintaining "perfect" arpeggios when the right-hand melody is uneven or syncopation is not constant.

Suggestions?

--Roy

Would being ambidextrous help?

Originally Posted by RoyR
I was wondering if any of you might be able to suggest good practice routines to use in developing the ability to play steady left hand arpeggios along with a mixed melody on the right hand.

I'm hoping there are several step-by-step methods to follow to work up to the complex arpeggio/melody combinations.

Now I am able to roll the bass chords or vary the sequence those notes are struck while playing a right-hand melody, but I have trouble maintaining "perfect" arpeggios when the right-hand melody is uneven or syncopation is not constant.

Suggestions?

--Roy

Casio Privia PX-150

M
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
M
I have the same issue, I'm playing with jazz pianist Dave Franks latest video doing something similar. It seems you have to go extremely slow and then slowly bring it up over time...days, weeks, months.

It a hand independence issue for sure...

What is the method to play it effortlessly?

Casio Privia PX-150

M
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by adak
What is the method to play it effortlessly?

I have been doing scales, arpeggios and chords with inversions for a few years and this transfers in easier smooth playing. Hand independence also improves but still giving me some difficult.

D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by RoyR

Suggestions?

--Roy

When you say arpeggios, are we talking broken chords, the 5-1-3-1 that Mozart favors, or something akin to Beethoven's Moonlight 3rd Mvt (in the LH instead of the RH)?

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.
C
8000 Post Club Member
Online Content
8000 Post Club Member
C
One possible approach:

1. Practice the left hand _alone_ until you can play it "without thinking". Use a metronome to keep the rhythm _dead even_.

2. Can you play the right hand _alone_, with metronome?

. . . If you can't, practice it until you can.

3. Slow down the metronome about 15% (e.g. from 70 to 60).

4. Try combining the hands at the slightly-slower tempo.

I suggest this because it can be really difficult to _feel_ the rhythm of a piece, if you slow the metronome down too much.

You might also try using a recorder to record the left-hand part, and then play along with the right hand. I've never done that -- but it might help.

. Charles

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / Roland Gaia / Pianoteq
R
RoyR Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Originally Posted by Mark...
I have the same issue, I'm playing with jazz pianist Dave Franks latest video doing something similar. It seems you have to go extremely slow and then slowly bring it up over time...days, weeks, months.

It a hand independence issue for sure...

Mark...that video is a good example of what I'm trying to do. Thanks!

Another example coming to mind is the nearly constant arpeggios in Moonlight Sonata 1st movement. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nT7_IZPHHb0 Beethoven's arpeggios are more varied than what I'm trying to do right now, and in the Sonata he changes hands with them, but that's the idea of it. the Sonata's arpeggios are also more the dominant part of the piece, whereas I envision mine primarily as a backup to the right-hand melody.

My question is aimed more at developing hand coordination rather than improving my musicality, at this point.

I'll post an example arpeggio of my own, shortly.

Roy

Last edited by RoyR; 03/03/13 08:57 AM.

Silver Supporter until Jan 01 2013
500 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Jan 01 2013
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Charles Cohen
One possible approach:

1. Practice the left hand _alone_ until you can play it "without thinking". Use a metronome to keep the rhythm _dead even_.

. Charles

This is exactly the place to start.

You need to be able to play the left hand from memory like an automaton. So lots and lots of LH-only practice. Only then your LH will remain steady whatever is happening in the RH.

[This is a really good approach for learning grounds, where the bass is hyper-steady and justs keeps on repeating the same set of bars under a set of variations.]

Last edited by Eglantine; 03/03/13 08:34 AM.

Currently working on: F. Couperin - Preludes & Sweelinck - Fantasia Chromatica
J.S. Bach, Einaudi, Purcell, Froberger, Croft, Blow, Frescobaldi, Glass, Couperin
1930s upright (piano) & single manual William Foster (harpsichord)
[Linked Image]
R
RoyR Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Here's an example of the type of slow arpeggio I'm talking about for the left hand. This one is C-Am-Dm-G
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAUS7YmiAyg

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission