2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (AndyOnThePiano2, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, Colin Miles, 36251, 12 invisible), 2,158 guests, and 339 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Hello!
So I am a new piano player...a long road ahead. After doing all the first part of my training, my first "real" piece of music was Dawn (Pride and Prejudice).
It was a song way above my level but my teacher chose it for that very same reason.
It was a struggle to say the least but I am glad I stayed with it and while I can hardly call it a great performance right now, I can play it and now comes the part of mastering it and making it mine.
In any case, she asked me today to look for a second song and I surely want a classical piece since that is my goal..well my goal is Moonlight Sonata 3rd movement but that is not happening any time soon LOL
I always loved the 1st movement as well but she feels the expression and feeling of the song is too complicated right now. I am going to tray to convince her anyway but just in case, what other suggestions you have.
My preference is a song in that same "mood" of Moonlight Sonata 1st movement or Chopin Nocturne Op. 9 No. 2.
I am getting a baby grand next week so I am going to be living attached to my piano from now on laugh
Thanks guys!

B

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014
1000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014
1000 Post Club Member
B
I would think your teacher, knowing your personality, ability, and what you like stylistically, would be better suited to provide suggestions than us.

That said - and since I did have one relevant example fresh in my mind - something that sort-of fits the bill: Bach Minuet in g minor BWV Anh. 115 by Christian Petzold. You can find many performances on youtube as well as the music on imslp.org.

Last edited by Bobpickle; 03/03/13 03:59 AM.
P
P
What about Mozart Fantasia in d minor?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZtxHTSzsT8

And congratulation to your baby smile

btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
We all start with the Bach Prelude I which has a
repetitive statement (very comforting)... while Pavel.K's suggestion of the Mozart Fantasia in D minor has the same opening chime of arpeggiated notes.

Nothing wrong with the first movement of the Moonlight
which we all add to our repertoire at an early stage ...
the first two measures can be polished off in two minutes flat ... while the opening statement is comparatively easy with broad octave chords in the LH leaving you ample time to concentrate on the treble theme.

J
J
where are you from? Why don't you just run through the RCM or ABRSM repertoire and follow the books and play pieces that are at your level... doing that will get you to the goal of playing the 3rd movement in moonlight.

Essex EUP-123S

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I have this right now too; I think it is a blast to listen to a zillion possibilities!

Learner
S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
An alternative to the Bach Prelude could be the Clementi Prelude in D minor.

P
P
Are you looking for an easy piece, or are just joking?

Here is a very easy classical piece which sounds very nicely, if it is played with great expression:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ki2gL3pKT8g
Check other pieces from the same album Tchaikovsky op. 39, you can find some ideas here as well which also sound lovely.

Roland HP-507RW | Yamaha U1 | Roland FP-90
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Pavel.K
What about Mozart Fantasia in d minor?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZtxHTSzsT8

And congratulation to your baby smile

Lovely piece indeed. Thanks for the recommendation. smile

Originally Posted by Bobpickle
I would think your teacher, knowing your personality, ability, and what you like stylistically, would be better suited to provide suggestions than us.

That said - and since I did have one relevant example fresh in my mind - something that sort-of fits the bill: Bach Minuet in g minor BWV Anh. 115 by Christian Petzold. You can find many performances on youtube as well as the music on imslp.org.

I checked google and yes, one more piece that is not hard so I like it too!
Thanks

Originally Posted by btb
We all start with the Bach Prelude I which has a
repetitive statement (very comforting)... while Pavel.K's suggestion of the Mozart Fantasia in D minor has the same opening chime of arpeggiated notes.

Nothing wrong with the first movement of the Moonlight
which we all add to our repertoire at an early stage ...
the first two measures can be polished off in two minutes flat ... while the opening statement is comparatively easy with broad octave chords in the LH leaving you ample time to concentrate on the treble theme.

My reasoning behind Moonlight Sonata is , since it is a piece I like so much, I know I will put a lot more time into learning it which cannot be bad for my skills to develop faster vs going with a piece I may not like as much. Then again, the recommendations I am getting are great so it may be a mute point. smile
Originally Posted by ju5t1n-h
where are you from? Why don't you just run through the RCM or ABRSM repertoire and follow the books and play pieces that are at your level... doing that will get you to the goal of playing the 3rd movement in moonlight.

That is a very good idea. I am going to check what pieces are there for my level.

Originally Posted by spanishbuddha
An alternative to the Bach Prelude could be the Clementi Prelude in D minor.

I like it. Never heard it before.
Thanks!
Originally Posted by personne
Are you looking for an easy piece, or are just joking?

Here is a very easy classical piece which sounds very nicely, if it is played with great expression:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ki2gL3pKT8g
Check other pieces from the same album Tchaikovsky op. 39, you can find some ideas here as well which also sound lovely.

No idea what part of my post made you think I was joking.
That is a nice song which is easy so I can focus on expression.
Thanks for the recommendation!

Last edited by shaolin95; 03/03/13 11:37 PM.
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
How about trying some Chopin preludes? Opus 28 nos. 4, 6, 7, and 20 are all fairly short/easy pieces, and they are very beautiful when played with feeling and expression. Since expression seems to be your focus right now, I think these would be great pieces to study, and they will also serve as building blocks to larger repertoire such as the Moonlight Sonata.

Regards,

Polyphonist
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Polyphonist
How about trying some Chopin preludes? Opus 28 nos. 4, 6, 7, and 20 are all fairly short/easy pieces, and they are very beautiful when played with feeling and expression. Since expression seems to be your focus right now, I think these would be great pieces to study, and they will also serve as building blocks to larger repertoire such as the Moonlight Sonata.

I will check those out. Yes I think expression is my key now since I do not have the skills for very fast pieces...I love to but not there yet. smile

S
S
I'm in the process of learning to play Moonlight Sonata 1st movement, and it's harder than it looks. I spent a couple of weeks just to get the 2 voices going in the right hand starting in measure 5. Everytime I set at the piano I just played that measure a couple of times and moved on with other pieces.
Why don't you give it a go? You'll find out quickly if it's still beyond your reach or not.

Last edited by StefaanBelgium; 03/07/13 08:04 PM.

Kawai CA65
A
A
the RCM or ABRSM repertoire and follow the books and play pieces that are at your level.

500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by ahhsmurf
the RCM or ABRSM repertoire and follow the books and play pieces that are at your level.

I am going to look at those and hope some of the pieces are one I like cause for me music is to enjoy not to punish myself like I was in school. I am sure I can find something I can enjoy and learn as well. Lots of good recommendations on this thread so I got plenty to look at.
Originally Posted by StefaanBelgium
I'm in the process of learning to play Moonlight Sonata 1st movement, and it's harder than it looks. I spent a couple of weeks just to get the 2 voices going in the right hand starting in measure 5. Everytime I set at the piano I just played that measure a couple of times and moved on with other pieces.
Why don't you give it a go? You'll find out quickly if it's still beyond your reach or not.

I actually played it many years ago using a mix of bad reading skills and ear learning and while I am sure my expression was all over the place, there is something about that piece that I know I would not mind practicing over and over.
I will give it a try.

In the mean time I have been learning something from my childhood...The Lonely Man theme from the old TV Series Hulk. I find it very beautiful and short too. smile

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission