Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2042092 - 03/03/13 12:27 AM Please recommend an "easy" classical piece for my recital
shaolin95 Offline

Hello!
So I am a new piano player...a long road ahead. After doing all the first part of my training, my first "real" piece of music was Dawn (Pride and Prejudice).
It was a song way above my level but my teacher chose it for that very same reason.
It was a struggle to say the least but I am glad I stayed with it and while I can hardly call it a great performance right now, I can play it and now comes the part of mastering it and making it mine.
In any case, she asked me today to look for a second song and I surely want a classical piece since that is my goal..well my goal is Moonlight Sonata 3rd movement but that is not happening any time soon LOL
I always loved the 1st movement as well but she feels the expression and feeling of the song is too complicated right now. I am going to tray to convince her anyway but just in case, what other suggestions you have.
My preference is a song in that same "mood" of Moonlight Sonata 1st movement or Chopin Nocturne Op. 9 No. 2.
I am getting a baby grand next week so I am going to be living attached to my piano from now on laugh
Thanks guys!

*Baldwin Hamilton Studio '67 (gone)

*Young Chang Y150 (Del F design) (gone)

(ads P/S)
Petrof Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2042131 - 03/03/13 02:57 AM Re: Please recommend an "easy" classical piece for my recital [Re: shaolin95]
Bobpickle Offline

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014

Loc: Cameron Park, California
I would think your teacher, knowing your personality, ability, and what you like stylistically, would be better suited to provide suggestions than us.

That said - and since I did have one relevant example fresh in my mind - something that sort-of fits the bill: Bach Minuet in g minor BWV Anh. 115 by Christian Petzold. You can find many performances on youtube as well as the music on imslp.org.

Edited by Bobpickle (03/03/13 02:59 AM)

#2042140 - 03/03/13 03:19 AM Re: Please recommend an "easy" classical piece for my recital [Re: shaolin95]
Pavel.K Offline

Loc: Czech Republic
What about Mozart Fantasia in d minor?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZtxHTSzsT8

And congratulation to your baby smile

#2042145 - 03/03/13 03:31 AM Re: Please recommend an "easy" classical piece for my recital [Re: shaolin95]
btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pretoria South Africa
We all start with the Bach Prelude I which has a
repetitive statement (very comforting)... while Pavel.K's suggestion of the Mozart Fantasia in D minor has the same opening chime of arpeggiated notes.

Nothing wrong with the first movement of the Moonlight
which we all add to our repertoire at an early stage ...
the first two measures can be polished off in two minutes flat ... while the opening statement is comparatively easy with broad octave chords in the LH leaving you ample time to concentrate on the treble theme.

#2042152 - 03/03/13 03:58 AM Re: Please recommend an "easy" classical piece for my recital [Re: shaolin95]
ju5t1n-h Offline

Loc: Vancouver, British Columbia
where are you from? Why don't you just run through the RCM or ABRSM repertoire and follow the books and play pieces that are at your level... doing that will get you to the goal of playing the 3rd movement in moonlight.

#2042420 - 03/03/13 04:36 PM Re: Please recommend an "easy" classical piece for my recital [Re: ju5t1n-h]
malkin Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: *sigh* Salt Lake City
I have this right now too; I think it is a blast to listen to a zillion possibilities!

#2042433 - 03/03/13 05:01 PM Re: Please recommend an "easy" classical piece for my recital [Re: shaolin95]
spanishbuddha Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: UK
An alternative to the Bach Prelude could be the Clementi Prelude in D minor.

#2042498 - 03/03/13 06:54 PM Re: Please recommend an "easy" classical piece for my recital [Re: spanishbuddha]
personne Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada
Are you looking for an easy piece, or are just joking?

Here is a very easy classical piece which sounds very nicely, if it is played with great expression:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ki2gL3pKT8g
Check other pieces from the same album Tchaikovsky op. 39, you can find some ideas here as well which also sound lovely.

#2042602 - 03/03/13 10:36 PM Re: Please recommend an "easy" classical piece for my recital [Re: personne]
shaolin95 Offline

Originally Posted By: Pavel.K
What about Mozart Fantasia in d minor?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZtxHTSzsT8

And congratulation to your baby smile

Lovely piece indeed. Thanks for the recommendation. smile

Originally Posted By: Bobpickle
I would think your teacher, knowing your personality, ability, and what you like stylistically, would be better suited to provide suggestions than us.

That said - and since I did have one relevant example fresh in my mind - something that sort-of fits the bill: Bach Minuet in g minor BWV Anh. 115 by Christian Petzold. You can find many performances on youtube as well as the music on imslp.org.

I checked google and yes, one more piece that is not hard so I like it too!
Thanks

Originally Posted By: btb
We all start with the Bach Prelude I which has a
repetitive statement (very comforting)... while Pavel.K's suggestion of the Mozart Fantasia in D minor has the same opening chime of arpeggiated notes.

Nothing wrong with the first movement of the Moonlight
which we all add to our repertoire at an early stage ...
the first two measures can be polished off in two minutes flat ... while the opening statement is comparatively easy with broad octave chords in the LH leaving you ample time to concentrate on the treble theme.

My reasoning behind Moonlight Sonata is , since it is a piece I like so much, I know I will put a lot more time into learning it which cannot be bad for my skills to develop faster vs going with a piece I may not like as much. Then again, the recommendations I am getting are great so it may be a mute point. smile
Originally Posted By: ju5t1n-h
where are you from? Why don't you just run through the RCM or ABRSM repertoire and follow the books and play pieces that are at your level... doing that will get you to the goal of playing the 3rd movement in moonlight.

That is a very good idea. I am going to check what pieces are there for my level.

Originally Posted By: spanishbuddha
An alternative to the Bach Prelude could be the Clementi Prelude in D minor.

I like it. Never heard it before.
Thanks!
Originally Posted By: personne
Are you looking for an easy piece, or are just joking?

Here is a very easy classical piece which sounds very nicely, if it is played with great expression:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ki2gL3pKT8g
Check other pieces from the same album Tchaikovsky op. 39, you can find some ideas here as well which also sound lovely.

No idea what part of my post made you think I was joking.
That is a nice song which is easy so I can focus on expression.
Thanks for the recommendation!

Edited by shaolin95 (03/03/13 10:37 PM)

#2043037 - 03/04/13 09:08 PM Re: Please recommend an "easy" classical piece for my recital [Re: shaolin95]
Polyphonist Online   content
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
How about trying some Chopin preludes? Opus 28 nos. 4, 6, 7, and 20 are all fairly short/easy pieces, and they are very beautiful when played with feeling and expression. Since expression seems to be your focus right now, I think these would be great pieces to study, and they will also serve as building blocks to larger repertoire such as the Moonlight Sonata.

Polyphonist

#2044581 - 03/07/13 03:54 PM Re: Please recommend an "easy" classical piece for my recital [Re: Polyphonist]
shaolin95 Offline

Originally Posted By: Polyphonist
How about trying some Chopin preludes? Opus 28 nos. 4, 6, 7, and 20 are all fairly short/easy pieces, and they are very beautiful when played with feeling and expression. Since expression seems to be your focus right now, I think these would be great pieces to study, and they will also serve as building blocks to larger repertoire such as the Moonlight Sonata.

I will check those out. Yes I think expression is my key now since I do not have the skills for very fast pieces...I love to but not there yet. smile

#2044716 - 03/07/13 07:01 PM Re: Please recommend an "easy" classical piece for my recital [Re: shaolin95]
StefaanBelgium Offline

Loc: Belgium
I'm in the process of learning to play Moonlight Sonata 1st movement, and it's harder than it looks. I spent a couple of weeks just to get the 2 voices going in the right hand starting in measure 5. Everytime I set at the piano I just played that measure a couple of times and moved on with other pieces.
Why don't you give it a go? You'll find out quickly if it's still beyond your reach or not.

Edited by StefaanBelgium (03/07/13 07:04 PM)

#2044767 - 03/07/13 08:31 PM Re: Please recommend an "easy" classical piece for my recital [Re: shaolin95]
ahhsmurf Offline

Loc: Banned
the RCM or ABRSM repertoire and follow the books and play pieces that are at your level.

#2044839 - 03/07/13 11:59 PM Re: Please recommend an "easy" classical piece for my recital [Re: StefaanBelgium]
shaolin95 Offline

Originally Posted By: ahhsmurf
the RCM or ABRSM repertoire and follow the books and play pieces that are at your level.

I am going to look at those and hope some of the pieces are one I like cause for me music is to enjoy not to punish myself like I was in school. I am sure I can find something I can enjoy and learn as well. Lots of good recommendations on this thread so I got plenty to look at.
Originally Posted By: StefaanBelgium
I'm in the process of learning to play Moonlight Sonata 1st movement, and it's harder than it looks. I spent a couple of weeks just to get the 2 voices going in the right hand starting in measure 5. Everytime I set at the piano I just played that measure a couple of times and moved on with other pieces.
Why don't you give it a go? You'll find out quickly if it's still beyond your reach or not.

I actually played it many years ago using a mix of bad reading skills and ear learning and while I am sure my expression was all over the place, there is something about that piece that I know I would not mind practicing over and over.
I will give it a try.

In the mean time I have been learning something from my childhood...The Lonely Man theme from the old TV Series Hulk. I find it very beautiful and short too. smile

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
76 registered (bennevis, alfredo capurso, ASLevelMusicTheory, beet31425, briansaddleback, 14 invisible), 1104 Guests and 42 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74264 Members
42 Forums
153619 Topics
2251539 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Noodling board
by Maarkr
Yesterday at 10:20 PM
New Movement Composed "To Rule" 4/20/2014
by hsheck
Yesterday at 10:17 PM
Understanding Sharps
by imustlearn
Yesterday at 08:18 PM
When a beginner is not a beginner anymore?
by Eight Octaves
Yesterday at 08:09 PM
DEBUSSY-"Serenade for the Doll" from 'Children's Corner'
by Hal Freedman
Yesterday at 07:14 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission