2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
45 members (1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, Doug M., 36251, Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, brdwyguy, 6 invisible), 1,198 guests, and 256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#2040185 02/27/13 03:07 PM
B
Barb860 Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
B
Well that might be a little strong, but let's just call them "students who owe you $ and leave without paying". My fault, didn't see it coming.
Now I learn that this family is shopping for a new piano teacher. An acquaintance of mine told me that she received a call from them and will agree to an interview.
I don't know this teacher well. Neither of us is a member of the MTNA, which I understand has a policy on teachers informing each other of such activity.
MTNA members, may I ask you what the policy is, exactly? All teachers: How much information do you share regarding former students' bill paying delinquency?
I feel that I should inform this new teacher of my situation but want to keep things professional. Thanks everyone for replies.

Piano Teacher
Barb860 #2040187 02/27/13 03:09 PM
I would just tell the other teacher about your experience and have this teacher make them pay upfront. Don't let bureaucracy stand in the way of justice.

Casio Privia PX-150

adak #2040191 02/27/13 03:14 PM
Originally Posted by adak
Don't let bureaucracy stand in the way of justice.

Agreed!

Barb860 #2040229 02/27/13 04:03 PM
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
This is the official MTNA Code of Ethics. The last bullet under Commitment to Colleagues discusses teacher to teacher communications when a student transfers. It's very broad and not specific.

Personally, I would have no problem informing a new teacher that the family in question had problems making payments as agreed to. The new teacher can then make a judgement and proceed as they feel best. Getting payments in advance does eliminate most of the payment problems.

"Those who dare to teach must never cease to learn." -- Richard Henry Dann
Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
Certified by the American College of Musicians; member NGPT, MTNA, WSMTA, OMTA
Barb860 #2040254 02/27/13 04:41 PM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
If the other teacher asks about the family, I'd be honest about everything - practicing, punctuality, payment, materials, learning style, etc...

If the other teacher doesn't ask, I wouldn't feel obligated to give any opinions. They might just want a fresh start without any preconceived notions, so I'd respect that if that was their choice.

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
Kreisler #2040284 02/27/13 05:33 PM
Originally Posted by Kreisler
If the other teacher asks about the family, I'd be honest about everything - practicing, punctuality, payment, materials, learning style, etc...

If the other teacher doesn't ask, I wouldn't feel obligated to give any opinions. They might just want a fresh start without any preconceived notions, so I'd respect that if that was their choice.

Tell them any ways even if they don't ask. Too many people with the attitude "If they don't ask I won't tell". Let the teacher know and let her make her own decision, she deserves to go into this teacher-student relationship knowing all the facts, especially if there is money and time involved, which she stands to lose if something goes wrong.

Casio Privia PX-150

Barb860 #2040286 02/27/13 05:37 PM
P
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
P
Barb, it's unclear to me why you want the new teacher involved. I suppose you would like her to say to this family, "Listen here, knuckleheads, you can't join my studio until you square up with Barb." But that's making Gladys act as your bill collector, which isn't very nice to Gladys.

Seems to me this issue is between you and the family, and it's a simple money issue. Just send them a note about what they owe you. Or phone them. Or email them. You might not collect, but you should try. If it's enough money and you feel you are clearly in the right, there's always Small Claims Court. Otherwise just write it off as minor blemish.

I'm with Kreisler, but it's up to you. This isn't a music teacher organization issue to me.

B
Barb860 Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Peter K. Mose
Barb, it's unclear to me why you want the new teacher involved. I suppose you would like her to say to this family, "Listen here, knuckleheads, you can't join my studio until you square up with Barb." But that's making Gladys act as your bill collector, which isn't very nice to Gladys.

Seems to me this issue is between you and the family, and it's a simple money issue. Just send them a note about what they owe you. Or phone them. Or email them. You might not collect, but you should try. If it's enough money and you feel you are clearly in the right, there's always Small Claims Court. Otherwise just write it off as minor blemish.

I'm with Kreisler, but it's up to you. This isn't a music teacher organization issue to me.

Peter, honestly at this point I really don't want any further involvement with the family and wouldn't want their new teacher to be involved with asking them to pay their bill to me. I am in the process of trying to collect. But I appreciate what you have to say. Just wanted to warn the new teacher. Perhaps that's not any of my business though.

Piano Teacher
Barb860 #2040304 02/27/13 06:08 PM
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
As the new teacher, I would want to know. I wouldn't want another teacher suffering loss and I'd keep an eye on payments from the new family. I always ask the family to respect the termination policies of the previous teacher and tell them I will follow up to help make the transition smooth.

B.A., Piano, Piano Pegagogy, Music Ed.
M.M., Piano
Barb860 #2040422 02/27/13 11:15 PM
M
M
My first instinct is to say I'm with Minniemay. If I'm the new teacher, I'd want to know if the family skipped out on paying what they owed. Someone wanting a fresh start is different than someone owing money.

However, I do always take things with a grain of salt, knowing there's more than one side to a story as well. If I have a bad feeling about the family and I find out they owed lesson money and left, then I may decline to teach them. Or if I feel fine with the family and hear this, then I will disregard it but perhaps be a little more wary and clear about payment terms. But really either way I'm listening to my gut feeling or I'm giving them a chance, so in the end what the previous teacher has to say has little bearing.

I guess it looks better as the "previous" teacher not to offer any information that isn't asked, if only for your own reputation's sake. It could perhaps look poorly on you to say bad things about a potential student for another teacher, and I'm not really sure what good it would do in the long run. In the end, I have faith that if someone did wrong to me, ultimately they are the ones who pay for it.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Barb860 #2040506 02/28/13 03:00 AM
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Barb860
Just wanted to warn the new teacher. Perhaps that's not any of my business though.

I think you will be doing the next teacher a great service.

A couple of years ago I took on a pair of siblings from another MTAC teacher in my branch. I was not terribly familiar with this other teacher, but I thought I should be courteous to a colleague and notify her of the transfer.

This teacher was kind enough to inform me that the family comes with some major baggage--and she was right! It was one headache after another dealing with this family of featherbrained delinquents. By the time they were ready to jump ship, I said, "Good riddance!"

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
Barb860 #2040509 02/28/13 03:05 AM
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Sometimes people don't pay because they don't think they have received value.

For example, if you buy a piano on payments that turns out to be defective, a consumer might withhold payment until the seller cures the defect. Someone who hires a lawyer that makes a mistake and forgets to file for a court appearance might refuse to pay the bill of a lawyer.

A parent who feels that a piano teacher is not doing a good job teaching their child might also decide not to make final payments, especially if the final payments are connected to onerous, one-sided terms and conditions made up by the piano teacher.

Not saying any of this is applicable to your situation, however, it is food for thought.

If they were really happy with what you were doing they wouldn't be shopping for another piano teacher.

Rather than get all bent out of shape about this one, particular instance of money, perhaps it would be smarter and in your longer term interest to look at yourself objectively in the mirror and ask yourself why they don't value your instruction and why they are jumping ship. This could make you more money in the long run than anything else.

Barb860 #2040516 02/28/13 03:32 AM
B

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014
1000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014
1000 Post Club Member
B
While the point may be relevant (not saying it is), if you're to be respected and to get others to respect the industry in which you earn a living wage, you must receive funds for services that have been provided, whether they were enjoyed or not. No teachers provide pro-rated refunds on their services if it turns out the student isn't receptive to the teaching being provided - this is on the student [to decide who they want to teach them in the first place].

Barb860 #2040522 02/28/13 03:59 AM
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
I don't disagree with you. However, in this day and age of enshrining the "consumer" rather than the "responsible citizen" you ignore how people think and act at risk of your own peril.

I agree that not paying is a sign of dis-respect. It may by 100% and exclusively a reflection of this family and they may in fact deserve the eptithet thrown at them by the OP of being deadbeats.

On the other hand, it might also be true that when a teacher looks at themselves dispassionately in the mirror and asks the questions:

"What could I have done more or differently to achieve better results with this student?"

"What could I have done more or differently to build a long-term, constructive, mutually-respecting relationship with this parent?"

"What could I have done more or differently to have picked up signals earlier that my teaching was not being valued?"

that this might throw light on the non-payment issue as being merely a symptom of a much more important underlying problem.

What better way to give a clear and unambiguous message to a teacher that they were worth less than what they were charging than to withhold partial payment? After all, teachers are not exempt from the practices of the world around them.

Being willing to consider oneself as fallible and being open to learning and growing tends to be better for everyone concerned -- especially the teacher themselves -- than to simply place responsibility and blame elsewhere and to go whinging on bulletin boards, to fellow teachers and to teachers' unions.

By all means go after this debt as aggressively as you feel is appropriate and in line with the kind of image you want to have when people talk about you behind your back, but it would be a pity not to take the time and turn it into a learning experience that likely goes beyond legalistic considerations or accounts receivables and credit management.

You owe it to yourself and you also owe it to your future students.

Barb860 #2040730 02/28/13 12:36 PM
B
B
I would tell the other teacher. All of my parents and students sign my studio policy and 99% of them honor my 30 days notice or payment for month is expected. Recently had student quit with no notice. Grandmother signed policy, and was paying for lessons. Totally blew me out of the water when grandmother quit the lessons via txt msg the middle of December. Sent her copy of agreement with December invoice. Only received partial payment. Finally decided to take the high road and let it drop because I did not want to get into a big confrontation with her which is what would happen. There is also such a thing as karma.

If I heard student was going elsewhere, I would let the other teacher know if I knew the teacher or was asked. I have a little suspicion that it has happened before but not certain.

Bachelor of Music (church music)
Master of Church Music (organ, music education)
Piano Teacher since 1992
Church Musician since 1983
theJourney #2040758 02/28/13 01:53 PM
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by theJourney
teachers' unions.

An association of independent music teachers is very different from a union of public employees working for local school districts. An association has very limited power to do anything. A union can be quite powerful, depending on its size, membership, and number of lawyers hired.

Please don't get the two mixed together.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
Barb860 #2040764 02/28/13 02:05 PM
J
J
When I first started teaching it was standard operating procedure for a teacher to be certain that any transfer students had settled their tuition payments with the previous teacher before they could begin lessons. I believe it was part of the music teacher association guidelines. Somehow that seems to have slipped away as I rarely even hear of a teacher speaking with the previous teacher, much less making certain that they were paid.

AZNpiano #2040793 02/28/13 02:51 PM
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by AZNpiano
Originally Posted by theJourney
teachers' unions.

An association of independent music teachers is very different from a union of public employees working for local school districts. An association has very limited power to do anything. A union can be quite powerful, depending on its size, membership, and number of lawyers hired.

Please don't get the two mixed together.

un·ion
/ˈyo͞onyən/
Noun
The action or fact of joining together or being joined together, esp. in a political context.
A state of harmony or agreement: "they live in perfect union".
Synonyms
association - alliance - league - combination

Who is confused here?

After decades of insidious far-right propaganda, the word "union" tends to be seen uni-dimensionally and as a dirty word in the US -- paralleling the unprecedented impoverishing of the American working and middle class -- whereas in the rest of the world it tends to be associated with good things and with ensuring a level playing field in markets.

There are many definitions of the word "union", including "association". Not every teachers' union is made up of " public employees working for a local school district."

Not every union in the sense you are thinking of is even remotely powerful, and not every association is powerless.

For example, the Associated Boards of Royal Schools of Music is a non-profit association which has an enormous impact in the world grading more than 600.000 exams per year and enabling students in many countries in the world to use their ABRSM exam and diploma credentials as one criteria for admittance to top universities or other credits while providing important credentialling of piano teachers through the diploma program.

Barb860 #2040808 02/28/13 03:07 PM
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Is Associated Boards of Royal Schools of Music union or association?

Sorry, does it sounds like a stupid question?

Last edited by ezpiano.org; 02/28/13 03:21 PM.

Piano lessons in Irvine, CA
Follow my 4YO student here: http://bit.ly/FollowMeiY
Barb860 #2040816 02/28/13 03:33 PM
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
What's in a name?

You decide:

http://us.abrsm.org/en/home

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission