Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) End Stage Fright
End Stage Fright
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 5 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11 12 >
Topic Options
#2040592 - 02/28/13 07:36 AM Re: Physis Piano [Re: pv88]
sullivang Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Sydney, Australia
I think it's a pop song that has a synthy bass, and reminds me a bit of the 80s song "New Groove" by the Rockmelons.

Yes, I think you might be right about three hands, the cheating swines. ;^)

Greg.

(ad) Roland

Click Here

#2040604 - 02/28/13 07:58 AM Re: Physis Piano [Re: pv88]
Clayman Offline

Loc: Prague, Czech Rep.
Don't worry, third hand implants are surely being developed along with the piano itself. wink Can't stop the progress!

Learning to play the piano since 06/2013 on a Kawai CA-95.

Music is what feelings sound like. ~ Author Unknown

#2040648 - 02/28/13 09:11 AM Re: Physis Piano [Re: pv88]
CyberGene Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Sofia, Bulgaria
I think it's loosely based on:

Edited by CyberGene (02/28/13 09:13 AM)

#2040651 - 02/28/13 09:14 AM Re: Physis Piano [Re: pv88]
Kawai James Online   content
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
That's it!

James
x

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#2040662 - 02/28/13 09:38 AM Re: Physis Piano [Re: pv88]
CyberGene Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Sofia, Bulgaria
By the way there's a notable phrase in that song, which I think is spot on:

"Some people still having a GAS" laugh

Oddly enough, I don't have a GAS for the Physis. The acoustic piano sounds very tin-like and definitely worse than Pianoteq and V-Piano.

#2040785 - 02/28/13 01:40 PM Re: Physis Piano [Re: pv88]
sullivang Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Sydney, Australia
Thankyou Cybergene - that most certainly is it! smile

#2040804 - 02/28/13 02:02 PM Re: Physis Piano [Re: sullivang]
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: The Netherlands
Originally Posted By: sullivang
The new demo recordings aren't impressing me as much as the earlier ones, and often the attacks sound lacking, just like Pianoteq. (worse than Pianoteq I think) It sounds good, but not fantastic. Still no Wurly demos either.....Greg.

The Bass-sounds are cool though ! Especially for a piano. AP is not impressive - very pianoteq-like (which is a little cheaper, even with top MIDI controller). EP's vary in quality. Strings, no thanks. But the Bass sound...

#2040851 - 02/28/13 03:24 PM Re: Physis Piano [Re: Dr Popper]
ando Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Originally Posted By: Dr Popper
Originally Posted By: ando
Originally Posted By: pv88

It's really a matter of if you will like the Italian "Fatar" action in the Physis, as I would be more concerned with getting local serviceability if it needed repair.

It's also a matter of whether you will ever be able to find a Physis in a store to try it out. There are thousands of Roland dealers in the world, not sure the Physis is going to appear in many showrooms. In fact, I'll bet it will never appear in any Australian shop, ever.

I'd reckon you might find one in a certain shop in South Yarra if it ever ships in quantity

I have to admit, I can't even think of a musical instrument shop in South Yarra. Care to reveal it?

#2042090 - 03/03/13 12:25 AM Re: Physis Piano [Re: pv88]
erichlof Online   content

Yeah JFP,
The bass sounds (particularly the acoustic upright) are in a league of their own, compared to the acoustic piano sounds. I was quickly and tiredly going through all the sound demos, not being impressed, when I came upon the acoustic upright bass - my ears did a double-take! Hard to imagine a visual of that. smile

How did they get the bass right, with all it's sliding, bending and plucking - and then bundle it with that AP piano sound - not even a close 'approximation' of a hammer strike on a piano. I don't get it. frown

It's interesting how 2 different software companies approached physical modeling a piano, and both arrived at a similar sound - that 'Pianoteq' sound. Obviously the attack needs work, and I was missing some upper partials, especially in the middle-C area (which is the hardest to get right for all companies, Roland V included).

I'm curious to know if our rigorous physical modeling mathematical equations all lead to this unfortunate sound, or if this is a short-coming of our current state of technology (sound technology, not mainstream computer technology which is leaps and bounds above DP tech).

As sound technology catches up, maybe we can approximate more of the physical modeling process, such as the complex hammer strike-portion of the piano tone.

Edited by erichlof (03/03/13 12:32 AM)

#2042129 - 03/03/13 02:54 AM Re: Physis Piano [Re: pv88]
Steinway170 Offline

Loc: Italy
I just purchased the new Physis and can share my impression with you. First of all I have been playing most of the different brand of digital piano for the past 20 years and recently I was the happy owner of a Roland 700 NX and was convinced that there would be no more room for improvement anymore since the sound quality and keyboard reached incredibile level with the NX or GX. The new Physis version H1 was just delivered last week to my usual music shop in Milano (Lucky music). I tried it and couldn't stop playing. i came back again the following day to doble check my first impression doing a head to head comparaison with the RD700 NX. Describing a sound is not easy ( like trying to explain why you prefer this wine...) But I was so convinced that I didn't hesitate to sell the Roland for the Physis. The Roland sounded so much artificial, flat, innaturale, with no character versus the Physis which provide me with these very rich harmonics, with a slighly unperfection in the sound to give you the impression to play on the real thing ( I also own a Steinway accoustic piano at home ) The association with the fantastic wooden keyboard plus the elegant design will certainly make this instrument a winner. If you have questions, please do not hesitate. I realise that being an early adopter I have to assume my responsibility in this forum. My final advise: Try it to beleive"

#2042141 - 03/03/13 03:21 AM Re: Physis Piano [Re: Steinway170]
pv88 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

@Steinway170,

Congratulations, as you are the first one here to give a review of the new Physis Piano.

If you are able to post some recordings of the sounds we would like to hear them.

#2042156 - 03/03/13 04:12 AM Re: Physis Piano [Re: pv88]
Clayman Offline

Loc: Prague, Czech Rep.
@Steinway170, nice to see the Physis piano has actually materialized, in spite of my utmost conviction of it not getting out there in the near future. smile Apparently, it has some issues that might get ironed out but it's a good start nonetheless.

Learning to play the piano since 06/2013 on a Kawai CA-95.

Music is what feelings sound like. ~ Author Unknown

#2042169 - 03/03/13 05:38 AM Re: Physis Piano [Re: Clayman]
ando Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Originally Posted By: Clayman
@Steinway170, nice to see the Physis piano has actually materialized, in spite of my utmost conviction of it not getting out there in the near future. smile Apparently, it has some issues that might get ironed out but it's a good start nonetheless.

Well, with all due respect to our new member, we don't have a lot of corroborating evidence just yet. Some pics and videos in its new home would convince further than a verbal testimonial.

#2042225 - 03/03/13 08:30 AM Re: Physis Piano [Re: pv88]
Steinway170 Offline

My advise is really to go and test it. If any one would have to pick-up the best piano between a Bosendorfer, a Steinway or a Grand Yamaha, I am sure he would never trust a video or a sample on a computer. The quality of the best Digital piano on the market is so high already that the differentiation is getting more and more difficult to perceive. It is not only a matter of sound, it is the overall feeling of playing with something different that offer a sensation that is very close to playing the real thing. I thought I had every thing I needed with my Rolanf RD700 NX, till I tried this new toy. I still need to get some experience with the user interface and will share more within next few weeks.

#2042256 - 03/03/13 10:49 AM Re: Physis Piano [Re: pv88]
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member

So, how is the "fantastic wooden keyboard " ?! Many users here are a bit suspicious of Fatar keybeds, because they are 'functional' but compared to the Kawai/ Yamaha / Roland top, rather average. I said before that it could be a redesigned and improved Fatar keybed, because it has to be a new product with for the first time three sensors. Therefore I'm very curious how you rate this keybed in comparisson to the PHA-III of the RD700NX.

- how is the respons / repetition
- how is the touch (heavy / mid / light / same as PHA III ??)
- how good is the Ivory finish and do the black keys also have special coating
- do you feel / think it is still a typical Fatar mechanism with springs ?
- how's the bottoming out of the keys ? Nice and smooth, or a hard thumb ?
- does it make more / less noise than then Roland keys
- how does it connect to the sound ? Natural and precise control, also in soft passages ?

Questions like that...

#2042257 - 03/03/13 10:53 AM Re: Physis Piano [Re: ando]
xorbe Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Mt View, CA
Originally Posted By: ando
Well, with all due respect to our new member, we don't have a lot of corroborating evidence just yet. Some pics and videos in its new home would convince further than a verbal testimonial.

This. I couldn't figure out how to say it so gently though. It may all be true, but one post wonder newbie member worshipped new product while trash talking current product. wink Sorry, I am overly allergic to stealth marketers ...

#2042272 - 03/03/13 11:14 AM Re: Physis Piano [Re: pv88]
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member

We'll see...

#2042275 - 03/03/13 11:20 AM Re: Physis Piano [Re: pv88]
Qbert Offline

I can confirm that Physis Piano is (or "was" after Steinway170 purchase? smile ) available at Milan store. Some people tried it and they're talking about it on Italian forum.

#2042305 - 03/03/13 12:02 PM Re: Physis Piano [Re: Qbert]
voxpops Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oregon
Originally Posted By: Qbert
I can confirm that Physis Piano is (or "was" after Steinway170 purchase? smile ) available at Milan store. Some people tried it and they're talking about it on Italian forum.

Do you have a link to the Italian forum?

#2042317 - 03/03/13 12:26 PM Re: Physis Piano [Re: pv88]
Qbert Offline

Here it is.

You can find test comments on 2nd and last pages.

Edited by Qbert (03/03/13 12:28 PM)

#2042318 - 03/03/13 12:30 PM Re: Physis Piano [Re: Qbert]
voxpops Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oregon
Originally Posted By: Qbert
Here it is.

You can find test comments on 2nd and last pages.

Thanks!

#2042372 - 03/03/13 02:25 PM Re: Physis Piano [Re: pv88]
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member

We'll in that thread he seems to go under another name, with roughly the same story. But then there is talk of a 700GX (without SN expansion) and NOT a 700NX. Quite a difference in touch and sound, if you then compare it to a Physis. So what is it...700NX / 700GS or non at all ??

#2042376 - 03/03/13 02:36 PM Re: Physis Piano [Re: pv88]
Steinway170 Offline

About the keyboard. I have some experience of Fatar as it is the company making keyboard for Nordelectro. Good sign that Nord selected it. I had a NE HP 3 which I upgrade later with HP4. I could see improvement in the precision of the key action between the 2 generation. These NE use weighted keyboard. I am generally pleased with these one considering the ultra light weight of the instrument.
About Physis, it is a completely different keyboard. It remind me a Kaway digital piano I had few year ago but the sound was not as great. Being wooden made, I feel that the mechanic didn't have to be weighed and the action seems more direct. I don t notice any loud noise while playing. Unless caustic piano, you can play the keyboard without sound and then you can hear the mechanic. Nothing shocking to report. I would judge the keyboard action well balanced. As an acetic piano player I prefer the action of my digital piano not to be too light. Very similar than the RD700 ph2 of the GX which I personnaly prefer versus the PH3 of tbe RD700 NX. I tested fast repeat on the same note with 3 finger technique and had no particular difficulties! Overall I would say that the result is a decent keyboard of a good upright piano with the sound of a great concert gean piano. ( assuming the proper external amplification obviously which is a completely different topic)
I want to clarify that I am not a professional marketers of Viscount company but a anonymous piano player that used these forum looking for helps for making up my mind and decided this time to bring my contribution)

#2042403 - 03/03/13 03:56 PM Re: Physis Piano [Re: pv88]
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member

So you had a GX not an NX ?

#2042659 - 03/04/13 02:47 AM Re: Physis Piano [Re: JFP]
Steinway170 Offline

Reply to JFP: I owned Rd700 sx, then RD700 gx which I upgrade to NX sound with the supernatural piano extension board. The piano I used for the head to head comparison with Physis was a RD700 NX. ( which sound is same as the GX with super natural board but the keyboard mechanic of the GX is better than the NX to my opinion)
Ok I hope I passed my credibility test now and can be admitted to this forum without suspicion.

#2042664 - 03/04/13 03:14 AM Re: Physis Piano [Re: pv88]
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Sorry for the misunderstanding , but that was not the point. Since I'm specifically curious about the keybed of the Physis , I wanted to know if you compared it to your long experience with the NX , or indeed the GX. Since they have a different keybed, as you already stated as well. That's all...

#2042804 - 03/04/13 11:16 AM Re: Physis Piano [Re: pv88]
Jake Jackson Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Steinway170,

Could you create some audio files demonstrating the various presets on your Physis keyboard? Many of us have listened to the demos created by the company, and of course those are valuable. Demos from an actual owner, however, would offer us your experience.

By the way, how do you like the glass interface\button arrangement? I can imagine it being good and I can imagine it being like the arrangement on my computer screen, where I sometimes find selecting settings difficult.

#2042813 - 03/04/13 11:35 AM Re: Physis Piano [Re: pv88]
Jake Jackson Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Looking over the FAQ at the Physis site at http://www.physispiano.com/faq.htm, I was very surprised to find this:

"Can I edit the Physical modeling parameters for each note? Do they apply to the whole keyboard? The fine tuning parameter can be adjusted for each note of the keyboard. All the other parameters are global, meaning they apply to all 88 notes of the keyboard; the influence of each parameter on each note has been finely calibrated by our sound engineers."

So if the user detunes the unisons, all of the notes have the same amount of unison offset. If the hammer hardness is changed, all of the hammers are changed to the same degree. That seems to be an strange limitation, one that is not imposed by Pianoteq or the Roland V-Piano, and does not reflect the way that a real piano works. I wish the company the best of luck, and any advance in modelling the sound of a piano is wonderful, but this choice seems odd, considering the price, the claims to be a major breakthrough, and what competing companies offer. I can only understand it if their model creates a much, much better emulation.

#2042870 - 03/04/13 01:54 PM Re: Physis Piano [Re: Jake Jackson]
pianoxcape Offline

Loc: Cape Cod
Hi Jake - I hope I can help... and also to confirm the Physis piano is a reality smile

The H1 & H2 Physis Piano models are currently in production (made in Italy) with distribution now in Europe. Distribution for the US and other countries are still being rolled out...

Unfortunately, the FAQ page offers very brief responses to common questions - it does not get into the high level detail of how the technology works. I'm sure the folks at Stanford and the Italian Universities could write thick volumes on these topics! However, one of the guiding principles of the Physis piano is to try and make "physical modeling" easy to use. This is no easy task. I'm pretty sure the FAQ you mentioned was talking about Micro TUNING only - not necessarily the parameters of the physical models...so, I'll try to explain more below.

Physical modeling is extremely complex. So, the Physis uses a "Macro" parameter adjustment that modifies characteristics of the physical parameters globally - however, this is not just a broad "wave of a brush" - the algorithms of each parameter are adjusted for EVERY single note individually! So as you modify one parameter of the physical model in "Macro", the level for each parameter AND each key is different - way over my head for how it actually achieves this, but if there weren't this "macro" feature, it would become completely unusable by almost any user.

The Physis also uses a "Micro" parameter adjustment where you can modify up to 20 individual physical model parameters. For these Micro settings, you can pull out just ONE characteristic (for example "Hammer Hardness") and modify as you want.

I'm not sure if this is published anywhere, but I've been told the physical modeling technology in Physis uses 120 different parameters that are being manipulated in real time by the internal processors. They have made 20 of these ("micro" parameters) available for the user to customize and modify.

I'm trying to help, but also realize the technical nature of this product makes it extremely hard to explain. I really recommend (if you can) to try one of these pianos yourself - get your hands on the keys and feel how it interacts with the underlying physical modeling technology. I've played just about every piano technology on the planet, and have never played anything like the Physis.

Feel free to ask additional questions - I'll try to help as best I can.

Kind regards,
Teacher, Entrepreneur...Parent

#2042893 - 03/04/13 02:36 PM Re: Physis Piano [Re: pianoxcape]
Steinway170 Offline

Hi Garry, thank you fir your inputs. I am glad you came to the same conclusion as mine that this the best digital piano I tried so far. I just purchased one after 1 hour convincing testing and shared my impression on this forum. I got the feeling that there is a liot of suspicion which make sense when a new technology get introduced. I hope the instrument will get the success it deseve.

Page 5 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11 12 >

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
75 registered (adanepst, ando, Atrys, 36251, A Guy, 19 invisible), 1137 Guests and 47 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74198 Members
42 Forums
153492 Topics
2249203 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Tired Fingers
by adanepst
04/16/14 01:45 AM
Bechstein 7
by PhilipInChina
04/16/14 01:07 AM
Premier Piano of New York
by FenderJazzMan
04/15/14 11:58 PM
Top selling self-taught pianists?
by Sand Tiger
04/15/14 11:06 PM
Just got my MP11!
by Dan Clark
04/15/14 10:18 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission