Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2042360 - 03/03/13 02:09 PM Article on Stephen Hough in today's NY Times
pianoloverus Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/03/arts/m....html?ref=music

Mostly very good and very interesting except for the description of his his song transcriptions as "high-camp arrangements of big Broadway numbers in the style of Beethoven or Chopin" which, to me, seems so off base it makes me wonder if the writer has even heard them.

Edited by pianoloverus (03/03/13 02:14 PM)

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#2042644 - 03/04/13 01:02 AM Re: Article on Stephen Hough in today's NY Times [Re: pianoloverus]
theJourney Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Banned
Thanks for spotting this!

Mr. Hough is a real, modern-day renaissance man who realizes that we keep classical music alive by doing more than simply curating evergreen museum pieces of the long dead.

Quote:
For the most part Mr. Hough will play classic repertory by Chopin, Schumann and Brahms. But in between he will revive what used to be a common practice among virtuosos, though not many of them do it now: playing a new sonata of his own...

Aside from composition Mr. Hough conducts, writes poetry and paints in an anguished, Abstract Expressionist manner. He is immersed in dance, having just been appointed to the board of the Royal Ballet, Covent Garden. And as a Roman Catholic convert who once nearly gave up music for the priesthood, he writes articles and books on spiritual issues.

He writes a blog on matters musical and otherwise for The Daily Telegraph of London. Also in the “otherwise” department, he has become a noted spokesman for gay Christians, having come out with a quiet but firm sincerity designed to send the forces of conservatism apoplectic.

Not long ago the magazine Intelligent Life, an Economist offshoot, listed Mr. Hough alongside Noam Chomsky as one of 20 notable polymaths of our time. And for good measure in 2001 the MacArthur Foundation gave him one of its grants: not bad for someone who was, by his own admission, lazy and disruptive as a schoolboy.

Edited by theJourney (03/04/13 01:23 AM)

#2042710 - 03/04/13 06:51 AM Re: Article on Stephen Hough in today's NY Times [Re: pianoloverus]
Andromaque Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
PL
I can't agree more. The writer probably copy pasted that comment about the arrangements,
I am going to see Steohrn tonight at CH where he will premiere his new piano sonata, Notturno Luminoso.

#2042859 - 03/04/13 01:38 PM Re: Article on Stephen Hough in today's NY Times [Re: pianoloverus]
Mark_C Offline

Good get. This is pretty extraordinary. I find it surprising because I think overall the article is very good, and because of that, if I were just reading it without suspecting anything wrong, I wouldn't suspect anything wrong smile -- because I didn't know those arrangements.

I went and listened to one of them ("My Favorite Things") and indeed it has no resemblance to how the article characterizes it. I can't imagine how anyone at all would have likened it to "Beethoven or Chopin." Unless the writer knows absolutely nothing about classical music, which doesn't seem likely, I think you're right that he didn't listen to any of them.

#2043561 - 03/05/13 08:23 PM Re: Article on Stephen Hough in today's NY Times [Re: pianoloverus]
Andromaque Offline
3000 Post Club Member

His recital yesterday was marvelous. Started with the op 27 nocturne pair, deliciously played, followed by Brahms' spasmodic youthful third sonata. After the intermission Mr Hough presented his second piano sonata, a New York premiere. Very virtuosic and gripping. He ended with Schumann's Carnaval and a couple of Encores, closing with the 9/2 nocturne. There was much excitement in the audience and his sonata was very well received, even among the older gentry. There is something indescribably satisfying about discovering a new work composed and played masterfully!

#2043621 - 03/05/13 10:15 PM Re: Article on Stephen Hough in today's NY Times [Re: Andromaque]
Barb860 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: northern California
Originally Posted By: Andromaque
His recital yesterday was marvelous. Started with the op 27 nocturne pair, deliciously played, followed by Brahms' spasmodic youthful third sonata. After the intermission Mr Hough presented his second piano sonata, a New York premiere. Very virtuosic and gripping. He ended with Schumann's Carnaval and a couple of Encores, closing with the 9/2 nocturne. There was much excitement in the audience and his sonata was very well received, even among the older gentry. There is something indescribably satisfying about discovering a new work composed and played masterfully!

You are fortunate to have attended! Hough is fantastic and I hope to see him in concert one day.

#2043843 - 03/06/13 09:34 AM Re: Article on Stephen Hough in today's NY Times [Re: pianoloverus]
ABC Vermonter Offline

I was lucky to be in CH that night. I like Hough's 2nd sonata. It has a lot of good moments. It seems to have an A-B-A form. The A part sounds a bit like Messiaen's Regards. The B part has very interesting developments and seems to have quite a few themes. The B part sounds and looks difficult. smile I want to learn it!

The page turner probably did not sleep well that night. She once turned 2 pages at a time, and Hough would need to turn back the extra page himself.

Not a big fan of Hough's op 27 nocturne pair. It reminds me of what Richter said about one of his teacher's recitals on the Richter DVD.

Hough's Carnival is wonderful. Since I got used to Rach's Carnival, Hough's opening is a bit fast and not big enough for my taste. Other than that, things get better and better afterwards. Really musical!

Edited by ABC Vermonter (03/06/13 07:56 PM)

#2043901 - 03/06/13 12:02 PM Re: Article on Stephen Hough in today's NY Times [Re: ABC Vermonter]
bennevis Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: ABC Vermonter

The page turner probably did not sleep well that night. She once turned 2 pages at a time, and Hough would need to turn back the extra page himself.

He wouldn't have needed to use the score for his own music. I believe he once wrote in a blog that he always 'reads' from the score when performing his own compositions so that the audience won't be in any doubt that the music is fully composed, just like Chopin or Schumann, not improvised.....

#2043936 - 03/06/13 01:34 PM Re: Article on Stephen Hough in today's NY Times [Re: bennevis]
Andromaque Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: bennevis

He wouldn't have needed to use the score for his own music. I believe he once wrote in a blog that he always 'reads' from the score when performing his own compositions so that the audience won't be in any doubt that the music is fully composed, just like Chopin or Schumann, not improvised.....

May be not. But that was a "notey" sonata played almost presto all the time. His eyes were glued to the score.

ABC, what did you think of the Brahms. I never know what to think. I always find myself telling Brahms to get there already. This sonata was 5 movements long!

I did not recognize the first encore. I see know that it was Das Alte Lied by Henry Love. Never heard of either. There are several You Tube performances of it as a song with various accompaniment. Perhaps his own transcription?

#2043976 - 03/06/13 02:42 PM Re: Article on Stephen Hough in today's NY Times [Re: pianoloverus]
nlehrer Offline

Loc: New York, NY
It is indeed his own transcription. Here's a youtube link : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gY_fIBoj8Pw

Not a big fan of Hough's op 27 nocturne pair. It reminds me of what Richter said about one of his teacher's recital on the Richter DVD.

What did he say?

I was at the concert and thought they were okay, but not amazing.

I thought the Carnaval was the best part!

#2044051 - 03/06/13 05:47 PM Re: Article on Stephen Hough in today's NY Times [Re: pianoloverus]
pianoloverus Online   content

Loc: New York City

#2044107 - 03/06/13 07:45 PM Re: Article on Stephen Hough in today's NY Times [Re: Andromaque]
ABC Vermonter Offline

Originally Posted By: Andromaque
[quote=bennevis]

ABC, what did you think of the Brahms. I never know what to think. I always find myself telling Brahms to get there already. This sonata was 5 movements long!

I like those shorter Brahms; e.g., intermezzi. I agree with Gould that they are sexy. smile Just do not tell my parents.

#2044108 - 03/06/13 07:51 PM Re: Article on Stephen Hough in today's NY Times [Re: nlehrer]
ABC Vermonter Offline

Originally Posted By: nlehrer
It is indeed his own transcription. Here's a youtube link : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gY_fIBoj8Pw

Not a big fan of Hough's op 27 nocturne pair. It reminds me of what Richter said about one of his teacher's recital on the Richter DVD.

What did he say?

I do not want to go there. It may make me look extremely stupid given the good review from the NYT. After all, I am just a kid, and overall a big fan of Hough. BTW, I have to say that his Mephisto Waltz is THE definite recording (at least in a technical sense). I am learning this piece and listening to his recording constantly.

#2044463 - 03/07/13 10:54 AM Re: Article on Stephen Hough in today's NY Times [Re: ABC Vermonter]
Michael Sayers Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Stockholms ln, Sverige
Many years ago I heard Hough perform Mozart's D Minor concerto at the Meyerson in Dallas and the intensity/projection of the sound was impressive. It was not just the special acoustics of the hall - I've heard other performers there who sound bigger on their recordings than Hough but in person didn't have nearly as large a tone regardless of the repertoire.

Maybe others have noticed this difference between Hough's live vs. recorded sound?

Mvh,
Michael

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Uneven piano keys
by shah
10/23/14 08:57 AM
Forster vs August Forster
by eazydyonizy
10/23/14 03:43 AM
Grigory Sokolov releases album
by wimpiano
10/23/14 03:11 AM
Lindblad Steinway rebuilt pianos
by brahms
10/23/14 02:54 AM
Got the VPC1! Hooked up the Ivory! Played Brahms.
by TwoSnowflakes
10/23/14 02:13 AM
Who's Online
115 registered (anotherscott, Alexander Borro, 36251, Al LaPorte, 38 invisible), 1392 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76620 Members
42 Forums
158438 Topics
2326723 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission