Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
140 registered (A Guy, accordeur, 48 invisible), 1685 Guests and 31 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#2042442 - 03/03/13 05:18 PM VERY newbie question: How do I play this note?
adak Offline

Loc: Canada
In the red, it say 4 1 5 , which I take it means to play with those 3 fingers, right? then what about the 3 at the bottom of the middle note? So is it finger 1 or 3? What am I not getting?

In the green, is the line/song played with the B and E as flats?

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#2042445 - 03/03/13 05:22 PM Re: VERY newbie question: How do I play this note? [Re: adak]
keystring Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

The 3 is not a fingering number. It tells you that the three notes are triplets. If you look carefully you will see that the 3 is slanted as in italics.

#2042446 - 03/03/13 05:23 PM Re: VERY newbie question: How do I play this note? [Re: adak]
rocket88 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

The "3" means it is a triplet.

Please do yourself a big favor and get a basic book on music Theory.

You are obviously very interested, and since you have said that you
cannot afford a teacher, a Theory book is IMHO totally essential.

A triplet is three notes played on one beat. Note that the font is in italics relative to finger numbers.

Yes to the flats.

#2042447 - 03/03/13 05:23 PM Re: VERY newbie question: How do I play this note? [Re: keystring]
adak Offline

Oh OK. But why write the 3 anyways? It is ovbious they are triples just by glancing at them.

#2042448 - 03/03/13 05:24 PM Re: VERY newbie question: How do I play this note? [Re: adak]
Inlanding Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Colorado
Those are triplets, as indicated by the number three below - sometimes music is written that way to act as a reminder. Three notes per beat. The numbers over the notes are the suggested fingerings. Yes, the music calls for Bb and Eb unless indicated otherwise indicated in the score. ah - looks like you've already received your replies!

Have fun,
Glen

A Bit of YouTube
PTG Associate Member

#2042450 - 03/03/13 05:27 PM Re: VERY newbie question: How do I play this note? [Re: adak]
rocket88 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Get this Theory book....Seriously. I use it with all my adult students. Trying to learn without a teacher is hard enough, but without knowing the basics such as this, you are going to be really lost.

This book is like a dictionary and encyclopedia of the basics of how to read and understand music. Consider it essential.

http://www.amazon.com/Alfreds-Essentials...ds=piano+theory

#2042454 - 03/03/13 05:36 PM Re: VERY newbie question: How do I play this note? [Re: adak]
Whizbang Offline
500 Post Club Member

It means play BOTH notes with your thumb.

EDIT: color me confused. Adak posted a followup question in this thread but it doesn't seem to be here now.

Edited by Whizbang (03/03/13 05:38 PM)

#2042461 - 03/03/13 05:51 PM Re: VERY newbie question: How do I play this note? [Re: Whizbang]
rnaple Offline

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014

Loc: Rocky Mountains
Originally Posted By: Whizbang

EDIT: color me confused. Adak posted a followup question in this thread but it doesn't seem to be here now.

It's not here, because it's over there. If it were here, it wouldn't be a posted follow up question over there. So it's you who are in the wrong place. You need to be over there. Not here.

#2042480 - 03/03/13 06:26 PM Re: VERY newbie question: How do I play this note? [Re: adak]
UKPianoMan Offline

Loc: London, UK
I concur with Rocket88

Although I can read music and have been playing for a number of years I bought myself a slightly different book to the one suggested, have a look at

http://www.amazon.com/Alfreds-Essentials...of+music+theory

This covers everything from basic notation to complex chords and harmonies e.t.c.
Plan on trying to finance a Grand Piano by the end of 2013 *Donations kindly accepted, apply within*

#2042514 - 03/03/13 07:25 PM Re: VERY newbie question: How do I play this note? [Re: adak]
4evrBeginR Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: adak
Oh OK. But why write the 3 anyways? It is ovbious they are triples just by glancing at them.

Actually, no, if you don't have the 3, then they would look like 8th notes. Triplets and 8th notes are not at all the same things. You play all 3 triplet in one quarter note beat. You play 2 8th notes in one quarter note beat.

#2042547 - 03/03/13 08:39 PM Re: VERY newbie question: How do I play this note? [Re: adak]
keystring Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

One can see that they are triplets because of the way they are spaced, and beamed in groups of three. But by convention, when music is in duple time, you write in tuplets so that everything is clear.

#2042586 - 03/03/13 09:54 PM Re: VERY newbie question: How do I play this note? [Re: adak]
fizikisto Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Hernando, MS
adak,
4evrBeginR has it right. Think of it like this. The bottom number in the key signature tells you that the quarter note gets one beat. It can be subdivided into eighth notes, sixteenth notes, etc...

So let's say the composer divides the beat into two eighth notes. Those two notes are played in the time it takes for a single quarter note to play. But sometimes the composer might want to divide the beat into 4 sixteenth notes. Those 4 notes would again be played in the same time as one would play a single quarter note.

Now, sometimes, rather than dividing the beat into two, or into four, the beat gets divided into 3 notes. This is the triplet rhythm. You play 3 notes in the time it would take you to play a quarter note (or two eighth notes).

The 3 under the three beamed notes tells them to play them as a triplet rhythm rather than as 3 eighth notes. So they go a bit faster to fit them into the time it would normally take to play two eighth notes.

Note: It's also possible to form triplets with other notes (such as quarter notes).

Anyway, hope that helps.

#2042840 - 03/04/13 01:00 PM Re: VERY newbie question: How do I play this note? [Re: adak]
Barbareola Offline

Loc: Germany
Originally Posted By: adak

You can easily identify them in a short bar in an easy piece. Now try to imagine a very challenging piece with and advanced rhytm that has both triplets and ordinary eighth. Then you'd have to count to see if they are triplets or not and even then it might not be clear. One clear notation for any kind of music is much preferable.

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!

Trade Regrets:
Barry "Bear" Arnaut

(ad) Yamaha
Yamaha
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Intro and a question re: Elton's "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road"
by OnlyLivingBoy
11/22/14 05:09 PM
Are there usually dp sales in holiday in the US
by linghu224
11/22/14 04:37 PM
Intro and a question re: Elton's "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road"
by OnlyLivingBoy
11/22/14 03:33 PM
Can reburbishing eliminate mold?
by amateur101
11/22/14 03:21 PM
Kawai CA-65 bench in North American market
by Pierrerion
11/22/14 02:59 PM
Forum Stats
77008 Members
42 Forums
159269 Topics
2339708 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission