Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
150 registered (ajames, accordeur, Achilleas, 33 invisible), 1869 Guests and 30 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#2042452 - 03/03/13 05:35 PM VERY newbie question #2: How do I play this note?
adak Offline

Loc: Canada
One more question: What about this 1 next to the flat, what does that mean?

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#2042455 - 03/03/13 05:39 PM Re: VERY newbie question #2: How do I play this note? [Re: adak]
Whizbang Offline
500 Post Club Member

Ah, the comment moved.

Play BOTH notes with your thumb.

#2042457 - 03/03/13 05:43 PM Re: VERY newbie question #2: How do I play this note? [Re: adak]
adak Offline

Both notes with my right thumb? Cause there is a gap between A flat and B.

Or do I play A flat with my left thumb and B with my right? Will the left hand still be able to play the bottom chord?

#2042459 - 03/03/13 05:46 PM Re: VERY newbie question #2: How do I play this note? [Re: adak]
Whizbang Offline
500 Post Club Member

Play the A flat and B flat simultaneously with your right thumb.

#2042460 - 03/03/13 05:47 PM Re: VERY newbie question #2: How do I play this note? [Re: adak]
adak Offline

But there is no flat sign next to the B.

#2042468 - 03/03/13 06:02 PM Re: VERY newbie question #2: How do I play this note? [Re: adak]
Whizbang Offline
500 Post Club Member

The flat is in the key signature.

#2042471 - 03/03/13 06:06 PM Re: VERY newbie question #2: How do I play this note? [Re: Whizbang]
adak Offline

You are right. How did you know it would be in the key signature? It could have easily have not been there.

#2042476 - 03/03/13 06:16 PM Re: VERY newbie question #2: How do I play this note? [Re: adak]
Whizbang Offline
500 Post Club Member

Two reasons.

First, the easy explanation is that this question appeared as a response to your original thread (in my browser at least) and the key signature was clearly marked in your first question, so I assumed the second question pertained to the same piece.

Second, the more difficult explanation is that the measure just "looks" like it should be in the key of Bb. The left hand figure is homed on B but is also playing an F. If both are naturals then that's a very discordant sound called a tritone. But F is the fifth note of a Bb major scale. A perfect fifth is a very consonant sound so the measure just looks like it should be in Bb.

#2042486 - 03/03/13 06:33 PM Re: VERY newbie question #2: How do I play this note? [Re: adak]
rocket88 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Third reason...it would be very difficult to play with the thumb if it was Ab and B natural.

#2042572 - 03/03/13 09:23 PM Re: VERY newbie question #2: How do I play this note? [Re: rocket88]
dmd Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
Originally Posted By: rocket88
Third reason...it would be very difficult to play with the thumb if it was Ab and B natural.

One might even say .... impossible.

Current: ES7, Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 audio device, SennHeiser HD555 Phones, Focal CMS 40 Powered Monitors, Ravenscroft275, Ivory II American Concert D, Pianoteq 5

#2042574 - 03/03/13 09:32 PM Re: VERY newbie question #2: How do I play this note? [Re: adak]
adak Offline

Seeing how there are no notes following the right hand side, why couldn't both notes be played with fingers 2 and 3, it would make more sense.

#2042577 - 03/03/13 09:36 PM Re: VERY newbie question #2: How do I play this note? [Re: adak]
currawong Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Down Under
Originally Posted By: adak
Seeing how there are no notes following the right hand side, why couldn't both notes be played with fingers 2 and 3, it would make more sense that way.
Because you've just played the D with 2 which would make an awkward break while you jumped down to the A flat.

#2042652 - 03/04/13 01:46 AM Re: VERY newbie question #2: How do I play this note? [Re: adak]
sinophilia Offline

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014

Loc: Italy
This looks like Frankie and Johnnie from Alfred's Adult Course book 2. There is a footnote '[1' explaining that you need to use the thumb for both notes.

If you're using the Alfred's books, they tell all you need to play their songs. If you didn't get the complete course but just the song book, I think you can buy the corresponding theory book.

#2042777 - 03/04/13 10:12 AM Re: VERY newbie question #2: How do I play this note? [Re: adak]
Peter K. Mose Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto, Ontario
Originally Posted By: adak
Seeing how there are no notes following the right hand side, why couldn't both notes be played with fingers 2 and 3, it would make more sense.

Adak, I'm with you. You certainly could jump off the prior note to play this with fingers 2 and 3. Or you could jump off the prior note and play this with your thumb and finger 2. That might be my suggestion.

Straddling a couple of notes with one's thumb is an advanced
concept that serious pianists use, but at the beginner levels of playing it can just seem weird and clumsy, and I'm not the only piano teacher who would say to avoid it if you wish.

#2042787 - 03/04/13 10:29 AM Re: VERY newbie question #2: How do I play this note? [Re: adak]
keystring Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

There is something else that you can do. Do not take fingering as an absolute. Take it as a means for exploring how your hand works on the keys, because later you should be making such decisions on your own. Each person's hands are different, and the idea is to get the smoothest, easiest way of playing a passage. Think of playing as a dance, with efficient footwork and body movement (your fingers are the feet, your hand is the body that moves around). What if you tried different fingering than what is in your book? Does it feel more clumsy and awkward? Does that help you understand the choices that the editors made? Experiment and learn. And if the book does have footnotes, these are important and will bring you much further.

While you're at it, take a moment to explore your hands and the keys. You will see that the black keys are higher and further back. Your hands, meanwhile, have two outer fingers (thumb = finger here) which are shorter but also have a greater range of motion. If you put your three long middle fingers on the three black keys, you'll find that the outer short ones drape nicely down to the white ones. Feel free to explore as you go along, just for the fun of it.

Edited by keystring (03/04/13 10:31 AM)

#2042846 - 03/04/13 01:12 PM Re: VERY newbie question #2: How do I play this note? [Re: keystring]
Peter K. Mose Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto, Ontario
Originally Posted By: keystring
Do not take fingering as an absolute. Take it as a means for exploring how your hand works on the keys, because later you should be making such decisions on your own.

....Experiment and learn.

Keystring's advice is wonderful! Your fingering choices are yours. Hopefully they will reflect both comfort and musicality.

#2042873 - 03/04/13 02:00 PM Re: VERY newbie question #2: How do I play this note? [Re: adak]
fizikisto Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Hernando, MS
Yes,
I concur that a player should feel free to adjust the fingering to find something that works better with their hand. However, I would strongly recommend that before one makes a change, they should make an effort to understand why the composer (or annotator) chose that particular fingering. For example, beginners will sometimes forget that a particular note is sharp or flat, and then the fingering might seem crazy to them because they're playing the wrong notes. Or, a particular fingering might seem awkward if played slowly but turns out to be very fluid when played at tempo. Understanding why others choose a particular fingering will help you learn how to choose your own best fingering (especially when fingering isn't indicated). I also suggest penciling in any changes you make rather than trying to remember them.

Warm Regards

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!

Trade Regrets:
Barry "Bear" Arnaut

(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
The less I practice, the better I get :-)
by Mark_C
11/25/14 04:49 PM
Reasons behind notes as letters rather than numbers?
by TowardsTheEdge
11/25/14 04:31 PM
collard & collard
by Bob Newbie
11/25/14 03:39 PM
What's your definition of music?
by juliantoha624
11/25/14 03:21 PM
Korg SP250 internal speakers
by Kai C
11/25/14 03:12 PM
Forum Stats
77041 Members
42 Forums
159348 Topics
2340729 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission