Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2036615 - 02/20/13 08:39 PM Where to get advanced arrangements?
KataiYubi Offline

Being a classical pianist, I was always wondering where does one get **advanced** jazzy piano arrangements of stuff like movie themes and popular songs. By **advanced**, I mean non-trivial harmonies, a good level of detail and no idiotic simplifications in the rhythm. An example of classical advanced arrangements would be Franz Liszt's transcriptions of Wagner's operas.

The local music store has lots of things of that nature for big note and easy piano, but almost none for intermediate and strictly nothing for "advanced".

The only interesting thing I've seen out there were Gershwin arrangements of his own songs that were plenty elaborate and deliciously jazzy, but unfortunately I had never heard of most of them, except from "I got rhythm".

The jazz section in the music store has lots of arrangements of jazz standards, but then nothing really popular and mainstream.

Piano & Music Accessories
#2036642 - 02/20/13 10:35 PM Re: Where to get advanced arrangements? [Re: KataiYubi]
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
I think it's tough to find these, KataiYoubi. The problem is that mainstream/movie/pop arrangements are marketed more toward the casual player, who is less likely to have the skills necessary to play advanced music. And I suppose the people marketing mainstream sheet music figure that it's easier for super advanced folks to jazz an arrangement up to be more sophisticated than for beginners to dumb-down harder arrangements.

Your best bet might be to find sheet music for non-classical piano solos, released by the original composers, e.g., some of the anime/video game music is pretty high level (to my ears/fingers); Yann Tiersen has some interesting and rhythmically complex works for solo piano; and my own personal favorite, Ludovico Einaudi.

And if you want TRULY advanced jazzy stuff, check out the note for note transcriptions of Keith Jarrett, e.g., the Koln Concert book. That will keep you busy for a while. grin

#2036644 - 02/20/13 10:44 PM Re: Where to get advanced arrangements? [Re: KataiYubi]
Bobpickle Offline

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014

Loc: Cameron Park, California
I'll simply add that it's also quite likely because the players of such arrangements are typically [fairly] advanced jazz and/or improvisational pianists with not only good ears to pick out and replicate proper melodies and harmonies, but also the know-how and experience to then re-arrange and/or improvise over them.

#2036883 - 02/21/13 11:11 AM Re: Where to get advanced arrangements? [Re: KataiYubi]
Roger Ransom Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: SouthWest Michigan
Yes, most of the advanced level arrangements you hear are people who use lead sheets and improvise our own arrangements at whatever level our ability allows. Another whole world and lots of fun.

I used to look for those advanced arrangements and was frustrated too.

#2036963 - 02/21/13 01:13 PM Re: Where to get advanced arrangements? [Re: KataiYubi]
BDB Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
The problem with arrangements is that most good jazz artists never play the same piece in the same way twice. That was probably true of a lot of classical artists, as well, but they usually only wrote them down one or two different ways.

#2037054 - 02/21/13 04:25 PM Re: Where to get advanced arrangements? [Re: KataiYubi]
pianoloverus Offline

Loc: New York City
There is an incredible and gigantic amount of exactly the type of music you're after and much of available for free online.

For most of the jazz giants of the past and some of the present, people have made many books of note for note transcriptions of their recordings. Some of these Art Tatum, Bill Evans, Oscar Peterson, Cy Walter, Keith Jarrett, George Gershwin, Erroll Garner, J.Lawrence Cooke, James P. Johnson, Fats Waller, Albert Ammons, Jelly Roll Morton, Liberace, Billy Mayerl, Ennio Morricone, Adam Caroll, Marian McPartland, etc., etc. For most of these pianists or composers there are many 100's of pages of transcriptions of their recordings available. There are many sources for these but one of the biggest free ones is
www.pianofiles.com

For more contemporary songs there are also an almost infinite source of advanced arrangements, for example:
http://www.sonicbands.com/gli-spartiti-di-mercuzio/
This site has many movie music arrangements.

http://www.pianofiles.com/
(this site has 1.5 million members and 3.5 million sheets and a "sheet" could mean a 300 page book) For a given song, you have to search the site for what's available and choose an advanced arrangement if that's what you're looking for.

http://www.youtube.com/user/vkgoeswild?feature=watch
This very good classical pianist has advanced covers for many very contemporary songs at a small cost.

Other sites of interest:

http://www.mikegarson.com/
The sensational jazz pianist's site has hundreds of advanced arrangements available at a modest cost. But first learn his original compositon called Lullaby for Our Daughters.

http://www.bushgrafts.com/jazz/video.htm#i
The jazz pianist's site has 100's of advanced arrangements available at extremely low cost.

There are numerous sites devoted to anime and game music.

Edited by pianoloverus (02/21/13 05:36 PM)

#2037540 - 02/22/13 02:20 PM Re: Where to get advanced arrangements? [Re: KataiYubi]
Roger Ransom Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: SouthWest Michigan
Cool, I didn't know about all those sites, Thanks for the links, I love it.

#2037582 - 02/22/13 03:53 PM Re: Where to get advanced arrangements? [Re: KataiYubi]
cmajornine Offline

Check this out-:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Worlds-Best-Pi...iano+arragments

Have a look inside

http://www.scribd.com/doc/11573158/Worlds-Best-Piano-Arrangements

If you purchase or own this book, would you be so kind as to post a few examples of you playing from the book please.

Peace

cmajornine

http://www.cmajornine.webspace.virginmedia.com/

#2039090 - 02/25/13 03:06 PM Re: Where to get advanced arrangements? [Re: KataiYubi]
rada Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: pagosa springs,co
I'd like to add George Shearing...he has a collection of books...not difficult to read and a lot to learn.

rada

#2039138 - 02/25/13 04:05 PM Re: Where to get advanced arrangements? [Re: rada]
pianoloverus Offline

Loc: New York City
Originally Posted By: rada
I'd like to add George Shearing...he has a collection of books...not difficult to read and a lot to learn.

rada
Most of those are quite "simplified" two page arrangements and certainly not on the level of his own performances.

#2042796 - 03/04/13 10:53 AM Re: Where to get advanced arrangements? [Re: KataiYubi]
EJT Offline

Loc: South Bend, Indiana
I believe that Tom Roed and Dan Coates have books for "advanced" piano. Here's an example by Tom Roed:
http://www.amazon.com/Advanced-Piano-Solos-Encyclopedia-Roed/dp/0757995306

And one by Dan Coates:
http://www.amazon.com/Coates-Complete-Ad...d_bxgy_b_text_z

Given you're asking about popular songs, movie themes, etc., these seem right in your wheelhouse.

Eric

Moderator:  sharpsandflats 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
103 registered (AaronM, 35 invisible), 1069 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75968 Members
42 Forums
157103 Topics
2307234 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Tuning the 7th octave
by AaronM
26 minutes 58 seconds ago
Some Swan Lake
by harpon
Today at 12:53 AM
What makes a piano sound honky-tonk?
by harpon
Today at 12:31 AM
Casio Px 110 vs 150 for Pianoteq + action
by Dwscamel
Today at 12:10 AM
How much to Move a piano from Tucson, AZ, to New York?
by Paul678
Yesterday at 10:43 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission