Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2043118 - 03/05/13 12:21 AM Transferring recordings from email into PianoWorld
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
Hello everyone,

I'm relatively new on this forum, so I was wondering if there was a way to get an mp3 into a PianoWorld post from my email. Is it possible or do you have to link to a Youtube video or something?

Polyphonist

#2043125 - 03/05/13 12:54 AM Re: Transferring recordings from email into PianoWorld [Re: Polyphonist]
Kreisler Offline

Loc: Iowa City, IA
PianoWorld does not host recording files. Instead, you'll need to host them yourself and post a link here. A couple of popular ways to do this include creating a youtube video, hosting the file on box.com, or hosting the file on soundcloud.com

(For the record, I personally hate YouTube videos that contain still images accompanied by audio. YouTube was designed for video and should be used for video. Soundcloud is a far better option for audio and allows commenting and sharing just as easily.)
"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed

#2043127 - 03/05/13 12:58 AM Re: Transferring recordings from email into PianoWorld [Re: Polyphonist]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Great. Thanks Kreisler. Do these forums have a preference between box and soundcloud? Will one type of link load faster than the other? Does one site produce better quality audio?

Edited by Polyphonist (03/05/13 01:00 AM)

Polyphonist

#2043130 - 03/05/13 01:02 AM Re: Transferring recordings from email into PianoWorld [Re: Polyphonist]
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia
Originally Posted By: Polyphonist
Great. Thanks Kreisler. Do these forums have a preference between box and soundcloud? Will one type of link load faster than the other?

I think most people's preference is to use a media outlet that allows streaming of the music. Most people will not choose to download a random, potentially unsafe file.

I've used soundcloud for anything audio. I just like it better. But from what I've seen, box is a good option, too.

And Kreisler-- 100% with you on the "audio/still pictures" use of YouTube. Unless it's the score, which is sometimes nice, I abhor this practice.

#2043134 - 03/05/13 01:08 AM Re: Transferring recordings from email into PianoWorld [Re: Polyphonist]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

All right, thanks a lot for your help Kreisler and Derulux. I think I'm going to sign up to soundcloud and see how it works.

Polyphonist

#2043147 - 03/05/13 01:39 AM Re: Transferring recordings from email into PianoWorld [Re: Derulux]
FSO Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: UK, Brighton
Originally Posted By: Derulux
And Kreisler-- 100% with you on the "audio/still pictures" use of YouTube. Unless it's the score, which is sometimes nice, I abhor this practice.

I can recognise your disdain...but what if the picture is complementary to the music or even its inspiration?

#2043441 - 03/05/13 03:36 PM Re: Transferring recordings from email into PianoWorld [Re: FSO]
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: FSO

I can recognise your disdain...but what if the picture is complementary to the music or even its inspiration?

Provide a link in the notes, and I'll check it out. But give me video for a media outlet that uses video.

Edit: I also don't need to stare at "your inspiration" for an entire 12 minute piece. wink

Edited by Derulux (03/05/13 03:36 PM)

#2043540 - 03/05/13 07:31 PM Re: Transferring recordings from email into PianoWorld [Re: Derulux]
Cinnamonbear Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Rockford, IL

Provide a link in the notes, and I'll check it out. But give me video for a media outlet that uses video.

Edit: I also don't need to stare at "your inspiration" for an entire 12 minute piece. wink

I like what PW Member Maxwell Janis does with his stuff:

As for me, I do the "slide show" style because I don't have a video camera, and so continue to work the principle: "Be creative and use what you have to the best of your ability." grin I mean, "Any creative person will tell you you have to go a little crazy to make great [um] art."

"Hamlet 2" - Dana shows script to Brie

Lighten up, guys! grin wink

--Andy

#2043643 - 03/05/13 11:00 PM Re: Transferring recordings from email into PianoWorld [Re: Cinnamonbear]
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Cinnamonbear

As for me, I do the "slide show" style because I don't have a video camera, and so continue to work the principle: "Be creative and use what you have to the best of your ability." grin I mean, "Any creative person will tell you you have to go a little crazy to make great [um] art."

--Andy

Love it! "The Deuce, correct." hahaha laugh

As for the pics, I'd still much rather have the video. I'm not going to take up arms, marry my sister off to a Dothraki warlord, and hatch a few dragons to take back my video-watching rights, but at the very least, I will insist that do prefer video. wink

#2043692 - 03/06/13 01:06 AM Re: Transferring recordings from email into PianoWorld [Re: Derulux]
Cinnamonbear Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Rockford, IL
Originally Posted By: Cinnamonbear

--Andy

Love it! "The Deuce, correct." hahaha laugh

As for the pics, I'd still much rather have the video. I'm not going to take up arms, marry my sister off to a Dothraki warlord, and hatch a few dragons to take back my video-watching rights, but at the very least, I will insist that do prefer video. wink

The Deuce. Correct! O.K. Now, since we are sharing, I will tell you what gets my goat: people who make midi renderings that are perfect to the Nth degree, and then label themselves "pianists." I can appreciate the work that goes into the art, but what counts as a performance? Sure, I edit my recordings, and I've stated my reasons clearly in posts past for those who want to know the philosophy. But I perform live, too, with warts and farts. In fact, I was playing at a senior center last week, and one sweet-hearted old coot who wheeled his chair right up next to me to hawk down on my finger work and to enjoy the sound of the piano said, "You know all those mistakes you're making? We don't hear 'em. Our brain fills in the gaps." FREEDOM!!! thumb Yeah!!! That was truly one of the most encouraging things anyone has ever said to me! And it was said without guile--with sparkle and hugs.

That's why, when I hear recordings like I listened to this morning--Beethoven Sonata Op. 110 by GP95--my heart leaps for joy at the magnitude of the accomplishment. Or, when I hear recordings like I listened to this morning--the Brahms and Bach by Lizzy--my heart leaps for joy at the life and the courage and the warmth of it.

So, I have my d'ruthers, too, Derelux and K. I get it. I really do. I set my YouTube bar pretty low, though. That way, I am constantly pleasantly surprised at the excellent stuff I find on there to listen to and/or to watch. Also, I am glad I can have a YouTube presence without having to buy a video camera! wink

-Andy

Moderator:  Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Which are the best forums for piano technicians and DIYers?
by Withindale
10/25/14 03:17 AM
Prelude
by noobpianist90
10/25/14 01:55 AM
Red Striped Screws and Fancy Nuts
by chernobieff
10/24/14 11:57 PM
Communication outside of lessons
by Arghhh
10/24/14 10:23 PM
What is this piece?
by JoelW
10/24/14 09:54 PM
Who's Online
71 registered (ARamadan, Auver, Banshee, BB Player, 21 invisible), 1078 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76645 Members
42 Forums
158486 Topics
2327455 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission