Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
140 registered (Alexander Borro, accordeur, Achilleas, anamnesis, 42 invisible), 1842 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#2043152 - 03/05/13 02:26 AM Brahms Op. 76 No. 1, Bach Prelude + Fugue in E-flat Major
Elizabeth_Bennet Offline

Two recordings from performances in masterclass. Feedback/comments most welcome.

https://soundcloud.com/elizabeth_estonia/brahms-op-76-no-1

https://soundcloud.com/elizabeth_estonia/prelude-and-fugue-in-e-flat

Cheers!

Edited by Elizabeth_Bennet (03/05/13 02:28 AM)

#2043228 - 03/05/13 07:31 AM Re: Brahms Op. 76 No. 1, Bach Prelude + Fugue in E-flat Major [Re: Elizabeth_Bennet]
Cinnamonbear Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Rockford, IL
I enjoyed both performances. I particularly enjoyed the Bach prelude. Your prelude tempo is lovely and played with a gentle pulse and exquisite grace, I think. The fugue sounds a little tentative, somehow--like you weren't quite comfortable with it just yet. Perhaps it's the tempo, but when I listened to it again, I think the tempo works just fine, if that's where you want to put it, and your playing has very nice shape. (That is true throughout both undulating performances!) What I'm hearing might have to do with attack, which is also the only comment I would make about the Brahms. In it, I think your opening statement needs to be played with more verve. More chomp. I mean, played in a way that says, "I want to dig into this piece!!!" That's what I'm hearing in the Bach Fugue, too. It needs to be vervier in the vervy places, and liquid in the liquid places. The liquid places flow very nicely. Don't change any of that! Just put some ice in the pitcher so we can hear the refreshing little "plink-clink" as it tumbles into the glass when you pour out that sublime Bach-ie nectar.

I appreciate the fact that nerves can be a factor in these situations, as can the degree to which you are able to insist on your own way with the given piano... Nice job with both pieces, and thanks for sharing!

--Andy

#2043253 - 03/05/13 08:45 AM Re: Brahms Op. 76 No. 1, Bach Prelude + Fugue in E-flat Major [Re: Elizabeth_Bennet]
Tim Adrianson Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Overall, very solid and compelling presentations of Brahms and Bach, Elizabeth! A few comments on each:

Brahms -- For me, much of the late Brahms music is dominated by a deep sadness, borne of a passionate yearning that clearly will never be requited. And by this time in his compositional career, he had developed a very elegant language to express that sadness. In the Op 76 - 1, I need more of that element in your presentation, particularly in the final two pages or so. There need to be more "sighs and whispers". I thought that the passionate minor theme was very convincingly rendered, though. I also agree with Cinnamon Bear that the opening needs to be better grounded, specifically with a clearer bass line that serves as anchors as the theme emerges from "the murk".

Bach -- From tempo and articulation standpoints, you approach this Prelude and Fugue pretty much as I do. Because of the length of the Prelude, though, I would use the advantage of a modern piano to voice the theme well above the running counterpoint. It otherwise gets to sound very "notey" to my ears. For the Fugue, I think the tempo is OK, as Cinnamon Bear says, but I think it needs to be lighter in general attack -- although I agree with your staccato in principle, I think you tend to overstate it at various points. I realize that, technically, this Fugue has some treacherous sections that are very hard to negotiate gracefully, but I think an overall lighter approach may make this easier.

All told, though, these were very thorough and satisfying renditions, and thanks for sharing these!

#2320287 - 08/26/14 05:09 PM Re: Brahms Op. 76 No. 1, Bach Prelude + Fugue in E-flat Major [Re: Elizabeth_Bennet]
Elizabeth_Bennet Offline

It has been a long time since I've been on this forum! Even though my response is painfully late, I wanted to thank both of you for listening and critiquing my playing. I did read the responses quite soon after I posted the recordings back in 2013, and found your comments helpful!

#2320300 - 08/26/14 05:52 PM Re: Brahms Op. 76 No. 1, Bach Prelude + Fugue in E-flat Major [Re: Elizabeth_Bennet]
Pathbreaker Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Massachusetts
Glad you are back. I listened to this in the past and I just listened again. This is such a wonderful piece and your performance is admirable.

Having made a recent recording of this I appreciate your interpretation quite a lot and especially enjoy some of your ideas that are different from mine. The recording quality and piano sound fantastic too!

EDIT: Wow that's pretty vague...I was referring to the Brahms of course!

Edited by Pathbreaker (08/26/14 10:42 PM)

#2320640 - 08/27/14 12:21 PM Re: Brahms Op. 76 No. 1, Bach Prelude + Fugue in E-flat Major [Re: Pathbreaker]
Elizabeth_Bennet Offline

Thank you! I figured you were referring to the Brahms. It's such a lovely piece, and not as frequently played as some of his other pieces, such as Op. 118 No. 2.

Have you posted a recording of your version of Op. 76 No. 1? I would love to hear your interpretation.

Moderator:  Kreisler 
What's Hot!!

Trade Regrets:
Barry "Bear" Arnaut

(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Daily temperature swings
by Stubbie
11/26/14 11:45 AM
New Grotrian 6'3" v. Steinway B
by chasingrainbows
11/26/14 11:17 AM
HAPPY THANKSGIVING
by musdan
11/26/14 10:07 AM
Book about Alice Herz-Sommer, pianist and holocaust survivor
by neuralfirings
11/26/14 09:20 AM
What does a dealer have to reveal?
by chasingrainbows
11/26/14 09:09 AM
Forum Stats
77053 Members
42 Forums
159366 Topics
2341043 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission