2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
37 members (Charles Cohen, Animisha, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, 9 invisible), 1,137 guests, and 316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Smiss Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Hello PW!

I recently bought a casio px 350 and been playing on it for a weeks and a few days ago I noticed that some of they keys don't sound right. I made a video on it that shows the problem, mostly it's the key third from the right that sounds the worst and it sound more in reality then on the video.

should I get a replacement, whats the verdict from you guys?

this is the video: http://vimeo.com/60891966
Password for video: test123

Thanks!

H
H
I have the same issue before. At least one white key has a click sound. And one white key has much louder bang sound than other key. This is usually not a issue if you turn the volume of speakers / headphone up.

X
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
X
Oh wow that would drive me nuts. My old PX-330 had no issues like that!

D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
If it bothers you and can have it replace with one that does not sound like that, I would do it.

If the next one does the same thing, then either return it (no replacement) or live with it.

Understand, you have not purchased a high-end instrument and may find imperfections.

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
High-end or low-end ... it makes no difference.

87 keys behave properly and one does not. That's a manufacturing defect. No excuses.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
That's a warranty repair or a swap.

Sam Bennett
PianoWorks - Atlanta Piano Dealer
Bösendorfer, Estonia, Seiler, Grotrian, Hailun
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta
K
K
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
High-end or low-end ... it makes no difference.

87 keys behave properly and one does not. That's a manufacturing defect. No excuses.

+1 thumb

K.

Kevin L. Spindler
Early Keyboard Instruments
Stonington, CT
Harpsichords & Clavichords
Custom Instruments Built to Order
Rebuilding, Repair & Restoration
http://www.facebook.com/kevin.spindler.129
X
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
X
Originally Posted by dmd
Understand, you have not purchased a high-end instrument and may find imperfections.

Dude even Williams Allegro down at GC doesn't have THAT problem!

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
I've owned a number of Privias'. The keys start loosening up and banging more as the keyboard ages. It might be just one now. I tend to agree with the opinions that counsel accepting it. You could exchanged it now, but what you're experiencing, well, there's no telling what the next one will be like.

P
P
Don't get me wrong. That sound would bug me too and I'd probably try a replacement. My new Yamaha U1 actually has some noise on a couple of keys I want checked out during its first tuning. However, FWIW, it's interesting some (louder) key noise is a feature while other key noise is a nuisance.

I'm very sorry for the trouble, but I would suggest that you return the unit to your dealer or contact Casio support.
http://www.casio.com/support/contactus/phonenumbers/

-Mike Martin
Casio America

Casio Music Forums
R
R
Hi Smiss,

same issue here with my Casio PX150 after about 2-3 weeks of playing. I had a post on this last week. For me it's one key so far, but it seems like other keys may start doing this as well.

Here's a sample of what mine sounds like... seems very similar : PX 150 Key noise

This appears to be more widespread than I thought, I've seen several people mention it. There was a comment on my youtube video with a user experiencing the same issue. I bought the keyboard online, so I would need to ship it to a repair center or Casio to get fixed. But I'm not confident that the issue will stay away.

I researched a LONG time before settling on the Casio, and this kind of key noise was never mentioned with the 130/ 330 models. Could this actually be a defect with the new action in the '50 models?

Casio PX-150
S
Smiss Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Thanks to everyone who replied.

Seems like I have to return it, feeling abit bummed because I ordered it online so I will probably be out of a piano for a while...

@Radian Is it really a widespread problem? seems like that would suck getting a new one and that having problems aswell. I like you researched for a couple of months before I decided on this.. I really hope I won't come to regret it.

Thanks for reading

R
R
Well it was more a rhetorical question than anything. It's hard to say how widespread this is, that's something only Casio knows.

However I've now seen several people with the same problem, so it's not a fluke.

Some of the comments are along the line of `oh well you bought a cheap piano, so expect it to fail`. I'm not sure I agree with that. Casio is a long-established brand, and the previous models seem to last a long time (years). When I buy a $600 keyboard I expect it to maintain its functionality for a long time. Keys that start audibly `clicking` after only several weeks of play is really not acceptable. If I bought a cheaper car like a Kia I would still expect to be able to roll up the windows properly even 5 years from now smile

Casio PX-150
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Radian
...and this kind of key noise was never mentioned with the 130/ 330 models....
It was mentioned plenty, but the reports eventually died down. It was soon noticed that there was more rehashing someone else's report than the problem was common. The rush to fear here is hilarious. Smiss has been inconvenienced, that is all.

To emenelton's point, just about every older dp I come across from any brand does have a few keys that make a different noise than their neighbors. Rarely does the noise affect the mechanism, but it's bound to happen one day.

Smiss, yours is new. You should be happy with it.

Sam Bennett
PianoWorks - Atlanta Piano Dealer
Bösendorfer, Estonia, Seiler, Grotrian, Hailun
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta
S
Smiss Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Well it was more a rhetorical question than anything. It's hard to say how widespread this is, that's something only Casio knows.

However I've now seen several people with the same problem, so it's not a fluke.

Some of the comments are along the line of `oh well you bought a cheap piano, so expect it to fail`. I'm not sure I agree with that. Casio is a long-established brand, and the previous models seem to last a long time (years). When I buy a $600 keyboard I expect it to maintain its functionality for a long time. Keys that start audibly `clicking` after only several weeks of play is really not acceptable. If I bought a cheaper car like a Kia I would still expect to be able to roll up the windows properly even 5 years from now smile

Ah well, Yeah I kinda agree with what you're saying I don't think it's acceptable that one of the keys starts to sound like this after just a short while. With headphones on it's not a problem but even with the volume turned up without headphones I can hear the click from that key.

Cheap is a relative term but for me this is by no means a cheap keyboard. I tested all the keys when I got it and they all made the same sound now a total of 3 keys are making a click noise, though only the one to the right is being loud enough to be distracting.

G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
This is a known issue and complaint with Casio Privias. My opinion is it is caused by the felt compressing. Casio uses a soft material for dampening. Casio should consider using woven wool felt-the kind used in acoustic pianos. It is still a good product, but I agree, noisy keybeds are annoying.

Last edited by galaxy4t; 03/05/13 04:27 PM.
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E

When I buy a $600 keyboard I expect it to maintain its functionality for a long time. Keys that start audibly `clicking` after only several weeks of play is really not acceptable. If I bought a cheaper car like a Kia I would still expect to be able to roll up the windows properly even 5 years from now smile

My Kawai ES6 has a little plasticy clicking on most of it's keys, nothing like the Privias' I've owned.
To keep it real though, my Privia's all retained their functionality, no key ever stop working. It was more like a car that developed rattling but it's windows still continued working.

H
H
I once used a screw driver to file the key's edge on my px 350 to eliminate the click sound from one key. It works perfrectly for one key. It does not work for the key with "bang" sound.

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Smiss,

I watched your video. My Kawai clicks similar. My Kawai doesn't make the same heartbeating sound that your Privia seems to though. :-)

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,166
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission