Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2043126 - 03/05/13 12:55 AM Bought Casio px-350 have some problems with it
Smiss Offline

Hello PW!

I recently bought a casio px 350 and been playing on it for a weeks and a few days ago I noticed that some of they keys don't sound right. I made a video on it that shows the problem, mostly it's the key third from the right that sounds the worst and it sound more in reality then on the video.

should I get a replacement, whats the verdict from you guys?

this is the video: http://vimeo.com/60891966
Password for video: test123

Thanks!

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Special Financing on Digital Keyboards

Click Here

#2043132 - 03/05/13 01:05 AM Re: Bought Casio px-350 have some problems with it [Re: Smiss]
helloworld1 Offline

I have the same issue before. At least one white key has a click sound. And one white key has much louder bang sound than other key. This is usually not a issue if you turn the volume of speakers / headphone up.

#2043144 - 03/05/13 01:35 AM Re: Bought Casio px-350 have some problems with it [Re: Smiss]
xorbe Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Mt View, CA
Oh wow that would drive me nuts. My old PX-330 had no issues like that!

#2043211 - 03/05/13 05:42 AM Re: Bought Casio px-350 have some problems with it [Re: Smiss]
dmd Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
If it bothers you and can have it replace with one that does not sound like that, I would do it.

If the next one does the same thing, then either return it (no replacement) or live with it.

Understand, you have not purchased a high-end instrument and may find imperfections.

Current: ES7, Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 audio device, SennHeiser HD555 Phones, Focal CMS 40 Powered Monitors, Ravenscroft275, Ivory II American Concert D, Pianoteq 5

#2043215 - 03/05/13 06:19 AM Re: Bought Casio px-350 have some problems with it [Re: Smiss]
MacMacMac Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Carolina
High-end or low-end ... it makes no difference.

87 keys behave properly and one does not. That's a manufacturing defect. No excuses.

#2043283 - 03/05/13 09:54 AM Re: Bought Casio px-350 have some problems with it [Re: Smiss]
PianoWorksATL Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Atlanta, GA
That's a warranty repair or a swap.
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta

#2043304 - 03/05/13 10:36 AM Re: Bought Casio px-350 have some problems with it [Re: MacMacMac]
KLSinCT Offline

Loc: Stonington, CT USA
Originally Posted By: MacMacMac
High-end or low-end ... it makes no difference.

87 keys behave properly and one does not. That's a manufacturing defect. No excuses.

+1 thumb

K.
Harpsichords & Clavichords
Custom Instruments Built to Order
Rebuilding, Repair & Restoration
http://www.facebook.com/kevin.spindler.129

#2043310 - 03/05/13 10:49 AM Re: Bought Casio px-350 have some problems with it [Re: dmd]
xorbe Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: dmd
Understand, you have not purchased a high-end instrument and may find imperfections.

Dude even Williams Allegro down at GC doesn't have THAT problem!

#2043312 - 03/05/13 10:49 AM Re: Bought Casio px-350 have some problems with it [Re: Smiss]
emenelton Offline

I've owned a number of Privias'. The keys start loosening up and banging more as the keyboard ages. It might be just one now. I tend to agree with the opinions that counsel accepting it. You could exchanged it now, but what you're experiencing, well, there's no telling what the next one will be like.

#2043314 - 03/05/13 10:51 AM Re: Bought Casio px-350 have some problems with it [Re: Smiss]
poggler Offline

Don't get me wrong. That sound would bug me too and I'd probably try a replacement. My new Yamaha U1 actually has some noise on a couple of keys I want checked out during its first tuning. However, FWIW, it's interesting some (louder) key noise is a feature while other key noise is a nuisance.

#2043315 - 03/05/13 10:55 AM Re: Bought Casio px-350 have some problems with it [Re: Smiss]
Mike_Martin Offline

I'm very sorry for the trouble, but I would suggest that you return the unit to your dealer or contact Casio support.
http://www.casio.com/support/contactus/phonenumbers/

Casio Music Forums
Privia Pro PX-5S Audio Demos

#2043339 - 03/05/13 12:03 PM Re: Bought Casio px-350 have some problems with it [Re: Smiss]
Radian Offline

Loc: Springfield, OR
Hi Smiss,

same issue here with my Casio PX150 after about 2-3 weeks of playing. I had a post on this last week. For me it's one key so far, but it seems like other keys may start doing this as well.

Here's a sample of what mine sounds like... seems very similar : PX 150 Key noise

This appears to be more widespread than I thought, I've seen several people mention it. There was a comment on my youtube video with a user experiencing the same issue. I bought the keyboard online, so I would need to ship it to a repair center or Casio to get fixed. But I'm not confident that the issue will stay away.

I researched a LONG time before settling on the Casio, and this kind of key noise was never mentioned with the 130/ 330 models. Could this actually be a defect with the new action in the '50 models?

#2043356 - 03/05/13 12:32 PM Re: Bought Casio px-350 have some problems with it [Re: Smiss]
Smiss Offline

Thanks to everyone who replied.

Seems like I have to return it, feeling abit bummed because I ordered it online so I will probably be out of a piano for a while...

@Radian Is it really a widespread problem? seems like that would suck getting a new one and that having problems aswell. I like you researched for a couple of months before I decided on this.. I really hope I won't come to regret it.

Thanks for reading

#2043364 - 03/05/13 12:59 PM Re: Bought Casio px-350 have some problems with it [Re: Smiss]
Radian Offline

Loc: Springfield, OR
Well it was more a rhetorical question than anything. It's hard to say how widespread this is, that's something only Casio knows.

However I've now seen several people with the same problem, so it's not a fluke.

Some of the comments are along the line of `oh well you bought a cheap piano, so expect it to fail`. I'm not sure I agree with that. Casio is a long-established brand, and the previous models seem to last a long time (years). When I buy a $600 keyboard I expect it to maintain its functionality for a long time. Keys that start audibly `clicking` after only several weeks of play is really not acceptable. If I bought a cheaper car like a Kia I would still expect to be able to roll up the windows properly even 5 years from now smile

#2043365 - 03/05/13 01:04 PM Re: Bought Casio px-350 have some problems with it [Re: Radian]
PianoWorksATL Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Originally Posted By: Radian
...and this kind of key noise was never mentioned with the 130/ 330 models....
It was mentioned plenty, but the reports eventually died down. It was soon noticed that there was more rehashing someone else's report than the problem was common. The rush to fear here is hilarious. Smiss has been inconvenienced, that is all.

To emenelton's point, just about every older dp I come across from any brand does have a few keys that make a different noise than their neighbors. Rarely does the noise affect the mechanism, but it's bound to happen one day.

Smiss, yours is new. You should be happy with it.
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta

#2043367 - 03/05/13 01:09 PM Re: Bought Casio px-350 have some problems with it [Re: Radian]
Smiss Offline

Well it was more a rhetorical question than anything. It's hard to say how widespread this is, that's something only Casio knows.

However I've now seen several people with the same problem, so it's not a fluke.

Some of the comments are along the line of `oh well you bought a cheap piano, so expect it to fail`. I'm not sure I agree with that. Casio is a long-established brand, and the previous models seem to last a long time (years). When I buy a $600 keyboard I expect it to maintain its functionality for a long time. Keys that start audibly `clicking` after only several weeks of play is really not acceptable. If I bought a cheaper car like a Kia I would still expect to be able to roll up the windows properly even 5 years from now smile

Ah well, Yeah I kinda agree with what you're saying I don't think it's acceptable that one of the keys starts to sound like this after just a short while. With headphones on it's not a problem but even with the volume turned up without headphones I can hear the click from that key.

Cheap is a relative term but for me this is by no means a cheap keyboard. I tested all the keys when I got it and they all made the same sound now a total of 3 keys are making a click noise, though only the one to the right is being loud enough to be distracting.

#2043432 - 03/05/13 03:24 PM Re: Bought Casio px-350 have some problems with it [Re: Smiss]
galaxy4t Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Lakewood, CA
This is a known issue and complaint with Casio Privias. My opinion is it is caused by the felt compressing. Casio uses a soft material for dampening. Casio should consider using woven wool felt-the kind used in acoustic pianos. It is still a good product, but I agree, noisy keybeds are annoying.

Edited by galaxy4t (03/05/13 03:27 PM)

#2043447 - 03/05/13 03:48 PM Re: Bought Casio px-350 have some problems with it [Re: Radian]
emenelton Offline

When I buy a $600 keyboard I expect it to maintain its functionality for a long time. Keys that start audibly `clicking` after only several weeks of play is really not acceptable. If I bought a cheaper car like a Kia I would still expect to be able to roll up the windows properly even 5 years from now smile

My Kawai ES6 has a little plasticy clicking on most of it's keys, nothing like the Privias' I've owned.
To keep it real though, my Privia's all retained their functionality, no key ever stop working. It was more like a car that developed rattling but it's windows still continued working.

#2043464 - 03/05/13 04:26 PM Re: Bought Casio px-350 have some problems with it [Re: Smiss]
helloworld1 Offline

I once used a screw driver to file the key's edge on my px 350 to eliminate the click sound from one key. It works perfrectly for one key. It does not work for the key with "bang" sound.

#2043485 - 03/05/13 05:13 PM Re: Bought Casio px-350 have some problems with it [Re: Smiss]
emenelton Offline

Smiss,

I watched your video. My Kawai clicks similar. My Kawai doesn't make the same heartbeating sound that your Privia seems to though. :-)

#2043512 - 03/05/13 06:30 PM Re: Bought Casio px-350 have some problems with it [Re: Smiss]
dire tonic Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: uk south
-I've had the px-150 for a couple of months now (same action, I believe). I really like the feel of the keyboard, if anything, it's grown on me but I'm not yet convinced of its robustness. I can already hear a couple of keys that don't sound quite like the others although they're not yet exhibiting a gremlin quite as distinct as in your video.

Only time will tell how these actions bear up against the strain. In the meantime, I'll resist the temptation to return the piano for servicing until close to the expiry of warranty or when glitchy noises become truly unbearable/affect too many keys - whichever is the sooner.

#2043591 - 03/05/13 09:07 PM Re: Bought Casio px-350 have some problems with it [Re: Radian]
Possum SP280Krome Offline
500 Post Club Member

One might argue the 130/330 line is better quality.
Korg SP280

Rokit KRK 6 monitors
MXL V67G microphone

#2043659 - 03/05/13 11:47 PM Re: Bought Casio px-350 have some problems with it [Re: Smiss]
o0Ampy0o Offline

Originally Posted By: galaxy4t
This is a known issue and complaint with Casio Privias.

Part of a known problem online comes from people passing along talk of the problem which in and of itself makes it known. The attention a problem receives online does not make the problem widespread. It only makes talk of the problem widespread. How many individual cases involving any Casio model have been talked about by the owners?

I have seen a few instances with the 150/350 models mentioned online. I don't recall there being more than 10 and I think it is closer to 5 individual cases and at least two didn't like the replacement they received (one of those being a member here). Just what that actually represents out of all 150/350s sold we cannot determine unless we have knowledge that only Casio could have.

Who is it that knows of this issue? Has Casio acknowledged it as a known issue? Which Privias? What percentage are bad vs. good? What data from which source(s) lead to this conclusion? When a company acknowledges a problem as a "known issue" it usually starts with an official statement that is followed by an update or a recall/fix campaign.

Often people reading and repeating what they see online make things out to be more than they truly are. Saying something like "this is a known issue with..." lends substance to an idea that may not warrant it. It is known to those who read piano forum posts. A few cases have been mentioned online but there are probably many more people talking about a few cases than there are cases warranting characterizations that encourage a certain perception of the problem.

In this instance I think a better choice of words would be "there have been a few cases of _____ reported online ragarding _____" then leave it to the reader to draw their own conclusions rather than "this is a known issue" which can mean something with huge implications and repercussions.

#2043708 - 03/06/13 01:41 AM Re: Bought Casio px-350 have some problems with it [Re: o0Ampy0o]
galaxy4t Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Lakewood, CA
The statement I made was not directed at just the PX-X50 series. There have been complaints about noisy keys on Privias dating back to the earliest models going back to 2003. The issue is not exclusive to Casio as all manufacturers get complaints about noisy keys, and all do repair the issue under warranty to satisfy their customers, including Casio.

#2043734 - 03/06/13 02:44 AM Re: Bought Casio px-350 have some problems with it [Re: galaxy4t]
o0Ampy0o Offline

Originally Posted By: galaxy4t
The statement I made was not directed at just the PX-X50 series. There have been complaints about noisy keys on Privias dating back to the earliest models going back to 2003. The issue is not exclusive to Casio as all manufacturers get complaints about noisy keys, and all do repair the issue under warranty to satisfy their customers, including Casio.

Understood, regarding models. I only brought up the PX150/350 because those are what I have focused on:

Originally Posted By: o0Ampy0o
How many individual cases involving any Casio model have been talked about by the owners?

#2043807 - 03/06/13 08:12 AM Re: Bought Casio px-350 have some problems with it [Re: Smiss]
emenelton Offline

I owned a 310, 575, and PX3. They all had noisy key-beds; I didn't complain. I didn't upgrade to the Kawai es6 because of noisy key-beds either.

#2050068 - 03/18/13 05:40 AM Re: Bought Casio px-350 have some problems with it [Re: Smiss]
Smiss Offline

Hello guys, quick update. I will be returning the DP for a replacement and hopefully that one will be faultless. Im kinda OCD about these things ;P

thanks all for your inputs.

Edited by Smiss (03/18/13 05:41 AM)

#2050154 - 03/18/13 10:00 AM Re: Bought Casio px-350 have some problems with it [Re: Smiss]
xorbe Offline
500 Post Club Member

OCD is complaining about the slightly different gaps between the keys, or the very slight difference between the resting height of the keys. What you've got there is not OCD material, it's defective. =( We know they can make a keyboard that doesn't go crunch crunch crunch.

#2325604 - 09/09/14 05:14 AM Re: Bought Casio px-350 have some problems with it [Re: Smiss]
Kenneth Sampson Offline

i just saw this post, i know it is ancient but i have the px150 and after a while i had the same problem, i took it apart and found out that the sensor board that the contact strips are connected to is held to the main frame of the action with metal screws. Some of the screws get loose from playing, or maybe they aren't tight enough from the factory and so the board ends up rattling. If you (carefully) tighten the screws it completely fixes the problem and you have a quiet key again!

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Modern Jazz Pianists and Compositions
by b4ggy
10/01/14 07:07 AM
Interview with Leon Fleisher
by vlhorowitz
10/01/14 04:27 AM
by vlhorowitz
10/01/14 04:26 AM
by vlhorowitz
10/01/14 04:26 AM
First sonata
by amt976
10/01/14 03:38 AM
Who's Online
85 registered (amt976, Alexancho, A Guy, András Lieber, Alux, Al LaPorte, 21 invisible), 1131 Guests and 22 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76384 Members
42 Forums
157913 Topics
2319127 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission