Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2043431 - 03/05/13 03:23 PM Bios - fact or fiction?
chasingrainbows Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: NJ
Besides teaching privately, I work in a music store. A new teacher started within the past year, and we had quite a few conversations at which time this teacher complained that she'd forgotten alot, had been away from teaching for over 20 years, etc., and didn't feel "fresh." Her bio was recently changed to read that she's been teaching over 25 years, which is untrue, unless she started teaching at the age of 10. I was raised in an extremely honest family, and I've tried to live my life as honestly as I can, and am greatly disturbed by this, especially since I've tried to get my bio updated for over a year to reflect that my teaching experience has increased since it was originally psoted. Parents do visit the website and view teachers' bios, so it makes sense that they would select the other teacher with 10 years more experience (?) than I have. Just wondered if this is normal practice, and if not, how I should handle it - ignore it or let management know.

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2043437 - 03/05/13 03:31 PM Re: Bios - fact or fiction? [Re: chasingrainbows]
ezpiano.org Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Irvine, CA
I think honest is the best policy.
My bio only have the year that I started teaching, parents has to do the math themselves and I do not need to change it every year on my website.
@ http://bit.ly/Ready123

#2043453 - 03/05/13 04:17 PM Re: Bios - fact or fiction? [Re: chasingrainbows]
AZNpiano Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Orange County, CA
Take the high road and let your own excellent teaching do the talking for you. Sooner or later people will find out who's the capable teacher who's not. We can only hope it's sooner rather than later.

Unfortunately, it seems that many customers (i.e., parents of students) don't take the time to find out who the capable teachers are.

#2043459 - 03/05/13 04:21 PM Re: Bios - fact or fiction? [Re: chasingrainbows]
Nikolas Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Europe
I also think that you should 'take the high road' as AZNpiano says! I know that you will be bothered a lot by this lying and all that, but in the end the other teacher is hurting herself rather than you or the school. In the end the truth will be shown (Especially if she's forgotten to do the math correctly! :D)

#2043461 - 03/05/13 04:23 PM Re: Bios - fact or fiction? [Re: AZNpiano]
Gary D. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: South Florida
Originally Posted By: AZNpiano
Take the high road and let your own excellent teaching do the

Unfortunately, it seems that many customers (i.e., parents of students) don't take the time to find out who the capable teachers are.

I would say that for most people a piano teacher is a piano teacher. If three teachers charge roughly the same amount, convenience is the deciding factor. How close is the teacher? Does the teacher make up unexcused absences? Does the teacher allow late payments, or if so without an extra charge?

And so on.

I think this only changes with time, if a student gets a good teacher (or a very bad one) and finds out the truth.

I don't know why people inflate bios. Mine is in my signature.

I'm a piano teacher. smile

#2043499 - 03/05/13 06:03 PM Re: Bios - fact or fiction? [Re: chasingrainbows]
pianoSD Offline

Loc: San Diego, CA
If its bothering you, I would let her know. Just say, "I saw on the website that you've been teaching for 25 years. Where have you previously taught?"

She will get the hint as she stumbles to explain and account for that amount of teaching time.

If she is getting more students because parents or students value experience in your area, you should address the issue.

This is still taking the high road because you are approaching it in a non confrontational manner.

#2043516 - 03/05/13 06:44 PM Re: Bios - fact or fiction? [Re: chasingrainbows]
MaggieGirl Offline

If you have been teaching about 10 years and another teacher 25, I think most people would not infer that one was better than the other from that little bit of information.

Some might be gender biased, others age biased, other look for a schedule, some an emotional connection, professionalism, others education/degrees, I do know that with piano and skate the teachers with the strongest students and most full schedules are the ones parents seem to want.

#2043613 - 03/05/13 09:59 PM Re: Bios - fact or fiction? [Re: AZNpiano]
Barb860 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: northern California
Originally Posted By: AZNpiano
Take the high road and let your own excellent teaching do the talking for you. Sooner or later people will find out who's the capable teacher who's not. We can only hope it's sooner rather than later.

Absolutely agree!!!

and to add: teacher mentioned in the OP could very well have started teaching at age 10....she was showing her little brother how to play the piano.... wink wow, some people do count those as teaching experiences.....yeesshhh.

#2043732 - 03/06/13 02:39 AM Re: Bios - fact or fiction? [Re: chasingrainbows]
musicpassion Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: California, USA
Originally Posted By: chasingrainbows
Just wondered if this is normal practice, and if not, how I should handle it - ignore it or let management know.

No, I don't think it's normal practice. The music teachers I know personally and respect would never do something like that. On the contrary, it seems like the very best teachers are somewhat understated about their qualifications. You don't have to flex much when you know you've got 'em.

I don't think it would be inappropriate to let management know, as this falsehood does reflect on their company (It's on the company website, right?). But I don't think that's the route I would go. Things like that often take care of themselves.

#2043736 - 03/06/13 02:46 AM Re: Bios - fact or fiction? [Re: Gary D.]
musicpassion Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Gary D.
I would say that for most people a piano teacher is a piano teacher. If three teachers charge roughly the same amount, convenience is the deciding factor.

There are some parents like this. However, in my experience (in other words in my studio) this doesn't describe most parents. I've had many parents choose the teacher (me) based on qualifications (college degree and experience) and ability to participate in statewide programs, etc.

#2043738 - 03/06/13 02:53 AM Re: Bios - fact or fiction? [Re: Barb860]
musicpassion Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Barb860
teacher mentioned in the OP could very well have started teaching at age 10....she was showing her little brother how to play the piano.... wink wow, some people do count those as teaching experiences.....yeesshhh.

Showing little brother a few things doesn't qualify as teaching experience, I agree.

However I do want to take the opportunity to mention that some do start this profession young. I know a teenager in my area who is teaching a limited number of piano lessons. The individual has the musicial skills and training needed, and has a mentor teacher helping. Since this young teacher is doing good teaching work with professionalism and integrity (more than some adults) shouldn't it count as teaching experience? In my opinion, absolutely!

This probably isn't the case with the teacher mentioned in the OP.

#2043816 - 03/06/13 08:29 AM Re: Bios - fact or fiction? [Re: chasingrainbows]
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
Sounds like she's counting the lapse of time as a part of her "teaching years". It sounds dishonest to me, and I think the person who suggested asking her where she taught previously isn't a bad thing to do. She's putting that out there as common knowledge, and so you should feel free to ask her. She can always refuse to answer, and then you'll have your answer.
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#2043918 - 03/06/13 12:42 PM Re: Bios - fact or fiction? [Re: chasingrainbows]
Jeff Clef Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Jose, CA
..."I saw on the website that you've been teaching for 25 years. Where have you previously taught?"...

This shows a very nice refinement of technique. If it proves to be too refined for your colleague, you could start mentioning to others, in her hearing, that her age is, oh, say 15 years more than you know it to actually be. The right age for her statement about her teaching experience to be true.

Beyond that, I would go no further, since we know you to be a person of refinement yourself. She may be digging her grave with her own tongue, but there's no reason for you to jump in on top of her.

As a rule, it's best to take no notice of other people's delinquencies, if it's possible to stay out of it. Especially a liar. If she tells one, she'll tell a hundred. Some people will never tell the truth if a lie will serve; it gets to be a reflex. Anyway, maybe she was a young Mozart. Or Nanerl. Whatever.

#2043974 - 03/06/13 02:37 PM Re: Bios - fact or fiction? [Re: chasingrainbows]
chasingrainbows Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: NJ
Thanks for all the input. It looks like the majority feel it best not to let management know. I am going to make a point of asking about the 25 years experience, especially since she specifically told me she hadn't been teaching for over 20 years.

#2043978 - 03/06/13 02:47 PM Re: Bios - fact or fiction? [Re: chasingrainbows]
jdw Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia, PA
Since it sounds as if people don't get to post their own bios on this website, it's even possible that whoever posted it misunderstood her and that she will want to get it corrected (to give benefit of doubt).
Mozart, K 330
Brahms, Op. 118 no. 2

#2043992 - 03/06/13 03:16 PM Re: Bios - fact or fiction? [Re: chasingrainbows]
justpin Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Holmes Chapel
Challenge it!

Ignoring is condoning!

It also embeds a culture of acceptance and allows frauds to get away with it. You are partly responsible for any poor teaching learners may receive.

Parents and students often do not have the confidence to challenge teachers, this is what happens in Asia, guy who pretends to be a teacher but didn't graduate from high school himself but nobody feels they can challenge them. So they get away with it, the students have a massive dis-service from this.

This leads to exploitation unhappy students and people leaving, not choosing another teacher but dumping piano completely. I've encountered a number of frauds myself, this woman who didn't even have her grade 1 but had 'dabbled' I caught her out because I had the confidence to challenge her.

Would others?

#2043994 - 03/06/13 03:17 PM Re: Bios - fact or fiction? [Re: AZNpiano]
justpin Offline
500 Post Club Member

It is this sooner or later which bothers me.

Piano lessons aren't free, and I guess there is a danger zone of students. I.e. they are quite new and vulnerable, and may well leave if they get bad tuition.

#2043997 - 03/06/13 03:22 PM Re: Bios - fact or fiction? [Re: musicpassion]
justpin Offline
500 Post Club Member

I have a photo of me playing a Challon at 4 years old.

Playing that kiddies song which goes (left hand)
C C E G A A C E F F A C G G B D

Does this mean I've been playing for 36 years! Of course not its fraud pure and simple!

#2043999 - 03/06/13 03:24 PM Re: Bios - fact or fiction? [Re: chasingrainbows]
Barb860 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: northern California
Originally Posted By: chasingrainbows
Thanks for all the input. It looks like the majority feel it best not to let management know. I am going to make a point of asking about the 25 years experience, especially since she specifically told me she hadn't been teaching for over 20 years.

Sounds good. Find out more information and then decide whether or not to tell management.

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How do you charge a fellow technician?
by chernobieff
4 minutes 24 seconds ago
Question for the moderator...
by Emmery
35 minutes 16 seconds ago
Rare Time Signatures
by caters
Today at 02:59 PM
has anyone tried the Focal alpha 50s or 65s for monitoring?
by dire tonic
Today at 11:54 AM
2015 Concerto Competition "Theodor Leschetizky" NY
by Piano World
Today at 11:49 AM
Who's Online
145 registered (accordeur, alfredo capurso, 36251, anotherscott, 39 invisible), 1671 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76379 Members
42 Forums
157896 Topics
2318918 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission