2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (AndyOnThePiano2, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, 36251, anotherscott, Bellyman, 10 invisible), 2,116 guests, and 332 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2043160 03/05/13 03:52 AM
M
OP Offline
M
Hello everyone

If someone is looking to play in Michigan, what places do you suggest to look for a recital? Is it easy to go do different cities in the same state through bus system?

Thanks

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
There is no official bus system in Michigan, although services like Greyhound and MegaBus may be available. There's also an Amtrak line.

The major cities include Grand Rapids, Lansing, Ann Arbor, Detroit (and surrounding communities), Flint, and Traverse City (which is known more as a summer resort location.)

One nice venue in Ann Arbor is the Kerrytown Concert House:

http://www.kerrytownconcerthouse.com

It's used by a variety of different groups, and individuals can rent the space to promote their own concerts. There are also a lot of universities and colleges in the state who may be interested in hosting guest artists (you would need to contact the piano departments directly.) Be aware that they typically do not offer much in the way of compensation and usually book guest artists 6-18 months in advance.

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
A
A
Originally Posted by MiguelSousa
Hello everyone

If someone is looking to play in Michigan, what places do you suggest to look for a recital? Is it easy to go do different cities in the same state through bus system?

Thanks

Hi,

Foreign visitors to the United States are often amazed to discover this, but ground-based public transportation barely exists in much of the country. Americans are accustomed to driving or being driven where they need to go.

Michigan is one of the states with extremely limited public transportation.

Sorry!

AndyJ
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
I'm wondering, based on a question that the OP raised in an earlier thread, if this is an indirect request about how a foreign student might earn some money to cover living expenses while studying in the United States.

As Kreisler hints, if one is not a known entity in the music world, one may have to rent a performance space in which to perform; the rental fee would be required in order to at least cover the cost of heat and electricity for the performance. Neither the performer nor the audience would want to perform/listen in a cold hall and, in the winter in Michigan, it may take a good deal of heat to warm up a space for a concert recital.

It may also mean that the performer might have to bear the cost of his own advertising, because an unadvertised performance might not draw much of a crowd. These costs, added to those of accommodation and meals, might well exceed what returns one might get for ticket sales, given that admission would have to be low-cost, if not free.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I'm in Michigan now going to university. If my classmates (graduate students) want to give a recital outside of school, it is often done at a local church. I don't remember any of them charging for admission to their recital, and recital attendance is limited to other classmates, friends, and church members if they play regularly in a church.

Professional pianist and piano teacher.
Originally Posted by Kreisler
....Be aware that they typically do not offer much in the way of compensation....

You mean they offer ANY?
I'm serious. I would have thought it's usually just that you're lucky if you yourself don't have to pick up the hall's expenses.

It didn't occur to me that the question might have been anything about trying to make money, because (I think) hardly anyone does.

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by Mark_C
[...]
It didn't occur to me that the question might have been anything about trying to make money, because (I think) hardly anyone does.

I suggested that only because the OP had raised this question as a serious concern in an earlier thread. He's planning on studying music in the U.S., he said that he needs to earn money to help cover his living expenses and, as a foreign student, he is severely limited in what he legally can do to earn money. This question seemed a logical sequitur to his previous one. However, I am only surmising, and I may be totally off base - or is that off bass?

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Originally Posted by Mark_C
....Be aware that they typically do not offer much in the way of compensation....

You mean they offer ANY?
I'm serious. I would have thought it's usually just that you're lucky if you yourself don't have to pick up the hall's expenses.

It just depends on the department's budget. Most recitals I've played at academic institutions were for free, but a couple of them provided an honorarium. (I've gotten anywhere from $250-750, and it tends to depend more on the department's budget than how good and famous you are.) A lot of guest artist recitals at universities are exchanges - it's a way for faculty to network, recruit students, and beef up their resumes for review/tenure.

If our OP is looking to perform recitals as a means of finding income, he will likely be disappointed in the prospects. (You could make more accompanying a bad childrens' choir at a big church.) But if our OP is looking to gain experience and exposure, then it might be worth his time.

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
(You could make more accompanying a bad childrens' choir at a big church.)

A ton easier than giving recitals, too! laugh

M
OP Offline
M
Hey guys

Really thanks for your help. What I am really looking for is to play every place I can get to get more experience and exposure. In my country ( Portugal) I played for free or really small budgets. Now with the financial crisis they just don't accept any recital propose. Do you think I can get more performance opportunities in your country?

If you're good, easy to work with, and spend some time making the right connections, then yes, but it takes a while to get established.

Hey guys

Really thanks for your help. What I am really looking for is to play every place I can get to get more experience and exposure. In my country ( Portugal) I played for free or really small budgets. Now with the financial crisis they just don't accept any recital propose. Do you think I can get more performance opportunities in your country?

www.pianoped.com
And it can be a lot more fun! laugh

Originally Posted by Orange Soda King
(You could make more accompanying a bad childrens' choir at a big church.)

A ton easier than giving recitals, too! laugh

www.pianoped.com
L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
For money, if you could find a church or voice studio to accompany for, that would be a great opportunity. Also, with a church, often if you are working there, they will provide facility rentals for free or at a discounted rate, so you can use their space to put on your own recitals.

P
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
P
Hey guys

Most smaller churches across the US and Canada would be delighted to have you play a free recital, if you can figure out a way to get there. Chances are good someone might even house you for a night, and feed you, and drive you to and from a bus station.

There probably won't be more than 5-10 people at the recital, chances are the piano is lousy, and you might have to provide your own printed program, but you will indeed be performing, gaining experience, and sharing music. Could lead to other things, too.

If you network among Portuguese communities in N. America, things might be easier.

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission