2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
62 members (aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, 11 invisible), 1,848 guests, and 265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 47 of 74 1 2 45 46 47 48 49 73 74
I am quite fond of all types of music in general however, I am leaning more towards classical as of late as I have found my technique could use some improvements... I'm hoping pieces from Chopin will help with independence, accuracy, control and technique.

Of course I am still a beginner for now, but we all have to start somewhere right? I am trying to strengthen my right hand coordination a bit (which is ironic since I am right handed) and learn how to do basic runs with both hands in a multitude of keys just general strengthening in any area I can as to improve overall. smile

I do find myself playing a lot of slower more mellow pieces but I do occasionally play something a little faster or with a little more bounce so it's really dependent on how I feel at the time... I enjoy improvising and experimenting too as it helps to learn what works and what doesn't work so well.

Last edited by UKIkarus; 03/06/13 06:04 AM.

Yamaha MOX8 Synthesizer

[Linked Image]
C
C
Hi!
My name is Tina. I just turned 40, and the same weekend I bought a used piano for my 8 year old daughter. She's been taking lessons for almost a year now on a little keyboard and doing really well, and still loving it. So I took the plunge and found an old, but really well-maintained Baldwin Acrosonic console on Craigslist. We've had it about two weeks now, and I keep finding myself sitting down to mess around and winding up spending half hour to an hour.

I took lessons for a couple years when I was my daughter's age (maybe 8-11 years old?) then dropped the piano and took up the flute all through middle school and high school. Now that we have an actual piano, I decided to try to re-teach myself. smile I bought the Alfred's All-In-One coursebook (book #1) and a book of very simplified classical pieces.

The beginning of the Alfred's is a review, but I'm trying to make sure I still read everything and do all the exercises. I also printed off some note recognition flashcards. I'm finding I have no trouble recognizing the treble notes, but I'm awful with the bass notes. Must be all the flute playing.:) I made it through about 19 pages of Alfred's and played through the first piece in the classical book several times last night. It was fun! I am really impatient to get the piano tuned....but waiting a few more weeks to let it settle in.

Finding time to practice regularly will be my challenge as I have a husband, three kids 10 and under, a puppy and a full-time job. I'm hoping posting on here will keep me motivated. I'll admit, though, I'm terrified at the thought of recording myself and posting it. Not to mention I have no clue how to do that.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by CStrong73
Hi!
My name is Tina. I just turned 40, and the same weekend I bought a used piano for my 8 year old daughter. She's been taking lessons for almost a year now on a little keyboard and doing really well, and still loving it. So I took the plunge and found an old, but really well-maintained Baldwin Acrosonic console on Craigslist. We've had it about two weeks now, and I keep finding myself sitting down to mess around and winding up spending half hour to an hour.

I took lessons for a couple years when I was my daughter's age (maybe 8-11 years old?) then dropped the piano and took up the flute all through middle school and high school. Now that we have an actual piano, I decided to try to re-teach myself. smile I bought the Alfred's All-In-One coursebook (book #1) and a book of very simplified classical pieces.

The beginning of the Alfred's is a review, but I'm trying to make sure I still read everything and do all the exercises. I also printed off some note recognition flashcards. I'm finding I have no trouble recognizing the treble notes, but I'm awful with the bass notes. Must be all the flute playing.:) I made it through about 19 pages of Alfred's and played through the first piece in the classical book several times last night. It was fun! I am really impatient to get the piano tuned....but waiting a few more weeks to let it settle in.

Finding time to practice regularly will be my challenge as I have a husband, three kids 10 and under, a puppy and a full-time job. I'm hoping posting on here will keep me motivated. I'll admit, though, I'm terrified at the thought of recording myself and posting it. Not to mention I have no clue how to do that.

Hi Tina, and welcome to PW!
You are in right place to find the motivation you need. PW is full of rich information to help you in your (new) journey. Nice to know that your daughter is taking lessons and loves to play piano.

Here are some links about recording pieces:
How to record a piano
Recording using the Zoom H4

I'm expecting to hear your pieces soon! thumb
btw: what are your favourite composers?

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
Self-taught since Dec2009
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there."
J
J
Hi, I'm John, 28, from Liverpool, UK. I started playing in October last year, and have been taking lessons since December. I have a Yamaha P105, which is good enough for me for the time being smile Currently working my way through (and getting towards the end of) the first book of the Carol Barratt and Michael Aaron adult courses. Been lurking here for a while but thought it was time to start getting involved! Look forward to seeing you all around.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Hi John, and welcome to PW!
Do you have any music background? What was the main reason for you to learn piano?

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
J
J
Hi Carlos, thanks!

No musical background really, unless you count playing the drums for a year or two while I was at school (although I guess having a pretty good sense of rhythm has helped with my piano playing so far). I've always liked classical music and always wanted to learn piano, but never got round to it for one reason or another, so decided last year that it was time to do something about it smile My dad plays to a reasonable standard, so that was another motivation - just wish he had got me interested when I was young(er)!

I see you're going to see Einaudi this month? He is playing in Liverpool on 15th April but I missed out on tickets frown Also missing out on a Yundi Li recital that same week!

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by JohnG84
Hi Carlos, thanks!

No musical background really, unless you count playing the drums for a year or two while I was at school (although I guess having a pretty good sense of rhythm has helped with my piano playing so far). I've always liked classical music and always wanted to learn piano, but never got round to it for one reason or another, so decided last year that it was time to do something about it smile My dad plays to a reasonable standard, so that was another motivation - just wish he had got me interested when I was young(er)!

I see you're going to see Einaudi this month? He is playing in Liverpool on 15th April but I missed out on tickets frown Also missing out on a Yundi Li recital that same week!

Nice to know that your dad is a pianist. unfortunately my parents are not musicians... I always liked piano and I also started late. But the passion is growing!

Einaudi is "selling" very well. I bought my tickets almost 2 months in advance to guarantee the tickets.
Check his page on facebook about internet broadcasts of live concerts (sometimes it happens), like this one he did at home:
Ludovico Einaudi - In a Time Lapse, live from home

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
C
C
[quote=CarlosCCHi Tina, and welcome to PW!
You are in right place to find the motivation you need. PW is full of rich information to help you in your (new) journey. Nice to know that your daughter is taking lessons and loves to play piano.

Here are some links about recording pieces:
How to record a piano
Recording using the Zoom H4

I'm expecting to hear your pieces soon! thumb
btw: what are your favourite composers?
[/quote]

Thanks for the links.
Although after browsing through the latest recital and seeing people with 30+ years of experience, I'm even less inclined to record anything I play! smile
As for favorite composers, I guess I have fairly eclectic taste. I'd find it difficult to choose just one or two. Primarily classical. Not really into jazz at all. For fun maybe a little popular music...movie theme songs and I'd love to learn to play Imagine by John Lennon. Maybe I'll look that one up and see if I can find an easy version.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by CStrong73

Thanks for the links.
Although after browsing through the latest recital and seeing people with 30+ years of experience, I'm even less inclined to record anything I play! smile
As for favorite composers, I guess I have fairly eclectic taste. I'd find it difficult to choose just one or two. Primarily classical. Not really into jazz at all. For fun maybe a little popular music...movie theme songs and I'd love to learn to play Imagine by John Lennon. Maybe I'll look that one up and see if I can find an easy version.

C'mon, ABF recitals are a great place to share your progress. It's a oportunity to read comments of people with large experience and, most important, to keep you with a goal to achieve. At the same time you will listen pieces of all the styles and composers wich fits perfectly on what you're looking for. You'll contact with composeres unknown for you at the time, therefore, you'll get "richer". My first recital was in 2010 and I had less then a year of experience. I'm not regreat.

I'm not sure, but I think the average of ABF participants it's not 30+ years of experience. I would say it's an average of 10 years(?) of experience. Just a clue.

I'm sure you'll find easy versions of popular songs. Just search the internet (PW included!) or buy some books.

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
Hello, I have just joined this site and am enjoying all of the links about practice and reading on the forum! My name is Codi, I am from Cape Girardeau Missouri.

I have returned to piano about 4 years ago after a 20 year break. I took lessons when I was 9 or so, for a couple years, but then began guitar. Now I play and practice piano every day. It seems a lot harder now! I like to learn songs from the 90's and songs from movies. My pianos are a Cable Nelson upright and a 1920ish Wurlitzer baby grand (W is the one I play mostly because it is so loud!).

Other things:
I live in the country with forests and meadows and creeks and rocks.
My professional work is taxidermy.
I have a cat.
I like to go fishing and play outside when it is sunny.

The end.

B
B
I'm a beginner, mostly self-taught myself and just started working with a teacher. I grew up playing video games (and still play some) but fell in love with the music. I'm learning mainly easy classical stuff to practice sight reading now but have started working on some of the easier video game songs I love.

Working on some of the Final Fantasy Piano Collections music (from Final Fantasy 3) - check it out on youtube, it's beautiful piano music a lot of you might not know of. The composer is Nobuo Uematsu.

I'm in the NY area, weather is finally improving.. won't be missing winter! Loving piano though, seeing improvement day by day and staying patient with it.

Last edited by bmdx; 03/10/13 11:58 AM.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Welcome to PW, Codi!
Working everyday it's a good principle. I wish I could have time to do the same.
I'm sure your guitar experience will help you with your piano journey. Good luck!

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Welcome to PW, bmdx!
There are some members who also love Final Fantasy pieces, so you are in good company.

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
Hello there... I thought it was a good idea to start here smile
I'm male, 24 years old living in the Netherlands.

In my parents house we have a piano and before I started playing the piano it was "nothing more" than a nice piece of decoration (nobody played it, although my father always said he thought someone eventually would). When a friend of mine came by a few years ago and started playing on our piano I was blown away by the sound of the instrument, that was the first moment the piano really got my attention. Next to that I saw some piano playing on youtube so I thought about trying it myself. I started with some "easy" tunes, not knowing about scales, chords etc. The music I searched for and played where relatively short videogame pieces, cause I have this strong emotional (nostalgic?) connection with soundtracks from videogames I played a lot. These where all youtube tutorials; Zelda's lullaby, song of storms, gerudo valley etc.

So fine so good, nothing special.. no real practising, just some playing... but the Piano got my attention more and more.. and when I started to play this game called "Eternal Sonata", I heard Chopin's Raindrop Prelude and it really, really touched me. This was actually the starting point where I decided I wanted to learn to play the piano seriously.

So here I am, I've had 2 years of lessons from age 22 and piano (music and playing) has taken a central place in my life smile. At this time I prefer playing classical/romantic, jazz and ragtime. I think this forum is one big collection of piano knowledge and I'm looking forward to be part of it laugh

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Welcome to the forum, Lost Woods. You are right. There is a vast amount of piano knowledge in the collective experience of those on the forum. Most are more than willing to share that knowlege with you.

Are you working on any interesting pieces right now?

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
Standchen-Schubert/Liszt arr
Sonata Pathetique-Adagio LVB
Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by JimF

Are you working on any interesting pieces right now?

Well that's actually a good question. I hope to find a new piano teacher soon since I moved back to my hometown. My last teacher was bassicaly giving me more Jazz lessons than classical (although he made me play invention, fugues, part of sonatina/sonata and much more). So atm I'm not really working on something particular. Trying to improve my sight reading, chord knowledge, hand independence, rythm, walking basslines.

Playing around with voicing/bass of standards "someday my prince will come" and "my favorite things". Improvising over modal vamps (Dave Frank masterclass youtube). Playing some chopin waltzes.

Hopefully starting on a piece soon smile

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Welcome Lost Woods!

Choose any piece you like and start working on it. But don't be too "ambitious"... pieces above your skills can be counterproductive. Put some milestones to help you getting focused on your progress.
Good luck!

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
A
A
Like the way you got introduced to piano, Lost Woods. It's amazing that nobody had played on your parents' piano before! It is a beautiful piece of furniture, of course, but even more so when it is singing laugh

David Lanz - Skyline Firedance Suite
Nobuo Uematsu - Final Fantasy 7 Main Theme
[Linked Image]
I thought I would introduce myself. I'm Heather and I'm 41 and live in Georgia. I took piano lessons when I was a kid and I always liked it, but never wanted to practice and finally gave up when I was a preteen. As an adult I hate the fact that I never practiced and then finally gave up.

Fast forward to today ... my 7-year-old daughter began lessons last year and that prompted me to dig out my old Bastien piano lesson books (which I have kept through the years). I went through them all and decided to buy the Alfred Adult All-In-One Course books (Level 1-3). I like them and have been progressing through them on my own, although I'm thinking of beginning lessons too.

About a month ago my husband and I decided to buy an upright piano - we have been using a digital piano. So last week we took the plunge and I'm happy to say that it arrived here on Tuesday and is a lovely addition to our home.

I'm wanting to learn more and more now ... to progress beyond where I am (Currently I am focusing on perfecting what I am learning in Alfred Course Book 2). In the course of purchasing a piano someone asked me the other day what is my repertoire. Ummm ... not sure. Beginner? ha wink I like to play just about everything ... classical, popular, but I haven't really tried my hand at jazz yet. But I am definitely a beginner! I honestly would love to be able to just sit at the piano and just play music to listen to and I would also love to play accompaniment so that others, like my children, can sing.

So that's a little about me. I'm glad to come out of lurking and join the discussions smile

~ Heather smile

Knabe WMV247
“When you play, never mind who listens to you.” ― Robert Schumann
“The piano ain't got no wrong notes.” ― Thelonious Monk
L
L
60 Yrs OLD
I'll be 61 late October.
I am living in Tampa Florida. I live with my wife and one of out grand daughters. I have lived in Florida all my life. I love going to church, gospel music, fresh water fishing and playing golf. I love to sing along with a piano but have never played. In high school I played the French Horn in the concert band and marching band. I have been thinking about learning the piano. I do keep up a Piano Playing Advice Website.
There you are my current life.

Page 47 of 74 1 2 45 46 47 48 49 73 74

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission