2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
72 members (AndyOnThePiano2, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, Colin Miles, 36251, 13 invisible), 2,157 guests, and 343 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
J
OP Offline
J
Well, my teacher once worked in a Yamaha School but is no longer associated with them.
Now she works as one of Alberta's top private Teachers.

S
S
Originally Posted by PianistInJapan
Is this teacher associated with a Yamaha school?

Other question:
Is there any positive bias towards Yamaha in the country you are located in? From your online name I understand you may have Chinese roots, so maybe you live in China. I read somewhere that Yamaha has a very good name in China. Maybe it is good to point out that nowadays more and more music schools in China buy Kawai pianos rather than Yamahas (at least that is what my Kawai dealer in Japan told me, but it may be biased).

that is correct. the Piano boom in China goes back all the way to 80s-90s, when every household wants a piano as their major purchase (same as TV). The earlier quality of Chinese pianos were poor,the price tag of German pianos were unreachable (which is still the case today), where Yamaha has already established their reputation in 60s - while the price is still very very expensive but institutions and very rich people are still able to purchase them. You can imagine the difference between a Yamaha and Chinese pianos from 80s-90s. Before Langlang went to Curtis, he has only heard of 2 brands: pearl river - which he practiced 12 years on it, and Yamaha - everyones dream piano.

Kawai today has a better cost/performance ratio. And Shingeru Kawai has a very attractive price. (where German pianos are twice the cost in China vs North America). Yamaha and Kawai produce some of the most durable pianos.

PLEYEL P124
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Just count your blessings. If my parents were buying me a piano, I would take whatever brand they insist on and not argue. Your dad may have good reasons to consider only Yamaha such as quality, reliability, ease of re-sell, low cost of ownership. I could think of a lot worse things to have than a new Yamaha.

It's just the way it is some times. When my boss buys me a new laptop, do I tell him I don't want a Thinkpad, I want a Macbook Air? No. I find myself the absolute best Thinkpad I could get.

Hey...you can get it at much lower price. Haggle or search for another dealer.

M
M
How sharper than a serpent's tooth it is to have a thankless child!

J
J
I got an eight year old C6 for 22k in the US. I gather the Canadian market is different but 22k for a C1 seems awfully high.

R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Yes, when I was a teenager my Dad got me a very used Lyon and Healy grand piano. I was ecstatic and played it until I was out on my own supporting myself.

There is nothing wrong with a Yamaha or whatever else he wants to buy you. Thank your lucky stars and play it. There are MANY people playing on old beat up pianos who would love to trade with you.

Laugh More
Yamaha G7 - Roland FP7 - Roland FP80
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
J
OP Offline
J
Well I am grateful, I just want my dad to open up more to other options. I find the C1 to be amazing but perhaps there is something even better for the same price out there.

I heard that Edmonton prices were high but $22,000 for a C1 does now seem a bit high now.
There are three piano dealers, one sells Yamaha's and Bosendorfrrs, the other sells Kawai's, and the other sells Steinways, Heinzmann's, Bostons and Essexs.

All of them have pretty high prices compared to other places.

Would you think Calgary has much cheaper prices?

J
J
If you really like that C1, come up with a price you are comfortable with and make an offer.

Have you considered getting a second-hand piano? Read the Piano Book http://www.pianobuyer.com/pianobook.html and save yourself some money. That is an option to consider.

http://www.amazon.ca/Piano-Book-Buy..._1?ie=UTF8&qid=1362613703&sr=8-1

Of course it is best to learn how to negotiate. You don't have the buy the piano right away. There are always pianos available for sale instores and elsewhere, there is no rush. Don't be pressured into paying a high price.

And in case it wasn't obvious, you are not suppose to pay list price on pianos. There is always room to go down, whether by 10% or 75% off. It can depends on how long that piano has been sitting in the showroom, a piano sitting there for 10 years can be bought for more of a discount than a piano that sells itself in a month.

Casio Privia PX-150

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
How easily could you distingish a GC1 from a C1 blind-folded? Also the same goes with the GC2 from a C2. If a GC1 and C1 sounds night and day different to you, that's one thing, but if they sound almost the same to you, then you might as well get the GC2 that's 5 inches longer and it cost less than the C1.

Your other choices are not viable. Kawai is ruled out by your teacher. Boston is made by Kawai. Essex is made in China by Pearl River and quality is not at the Yamaha GC1 or C1 level. You can buy 3 Yamaha C1 for the price of a Steinway S.

While there are lots of choices, if you rule out made in China, which is a common practice by the overseas Chinese community, and do not want to spend the big money for made in USA or Europe, then for made in Japan, you've got only Yamaha and Kawai / Boston. People say there are lots of choices, but for an overseas Chinese family there are surprisingly few. It comes down to which Yamaha you will choose beginning with the U1. I would guess that since there are more Chinese children playing piano than any other ethnic group, this may be one reason why Yamaha leads the pack.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
if you rule out made in China, which is a common practice by the overseas Chinese community, and do not want to spend the big money for made in USA or Europe, then for made in Japan, you've got only Yamaha and Kawai / Boston.

This certainly used to be the case but is rapidly changing.
Many Chinese are now discovering the quality of their own top makers becoming less and less reluctant to consider them.

In fact, many are very happy [and proud...] to have a 'home grown' quality at their avail without having to spend mega bucks.

The other day we sold a 7' Chinese made grand for about same as their neighbors had paid for their 5'7 something grand.

They watched during delivery, played the piano later and - were in shock.

Times *are* changing.

I predicted that long time ago...

Norbert

Last edited by Norbert; 03/07/13 03:21 AM.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Norbert
if you rule out made in China, which is a common practice by the overseas Chinese community, and do not want to spend the big money for made in USA or Europe, then for made in Japan, you've got only Yamaha and Kawai / Boston.

This certainly used to be the case but is rapidly changing.
Many Chinese are now discovering the quality of their own top makers becoming less and less reluctant to consider them.

In fact, many are very happy [and proud...] to have a 'home grown' quality at their avail without having to spend mega bucks.

The other day we sold a 7' Chinese made grand for about same as their neighbors had paid for their 5'7 something grand.

They watched during delivery, played the piano later and - were in shock.

Times *are* changing.

I predicted that long time ago...

Norbert

That national price in "home-grown" quality is of course what caused them to emigrate in the first place. laugh

Norbert,

It's true that you've been predicting this for a long time, in fact for as long as you've been selling Chinese. But your statements about pride in home-grown products are a bulging bag of BS unless you're selling into a second and third generation population. Try meeting the emigrants at the airport as they de-plane with a vending cart of paper fans and parasols. You'll find out all you need to know about national pride. grin

My job has put me in close contact with thousands of Chinese emigrants since the late 70's. The restrictive conditions under which Chinese emigrants can leave the source of their national pride have improved drastically, but the fear and loathing of home-made products is just as pronounced now as it was a generation ago despite a world of difference in the products. Maybe in another generation a rational approach will temper the almost irrational extent to which the Chinese emigrant population seeks to insulate themselves from all they left behind. That would be a good thing.

In the meantime your posts on this topic are always to be savored.

Will Johnny Come Marching Home?
The fate of the modern wartime soldier
Maybe in another generation a rational approach will temper the almost irrational extent to which the Chinese emigrant population seeks to insulate themselves from all they left behind. That would be a good thing.

Dealing with Chinese immigrants on an almost weekly basis, I can testify that most current immigrants don't leave "all" behind.

In many cases the husbands don't leave their jobs and keep on working in China. Nor do they sever their family ties. Kids frequently travel to China to visit family or attend colleges.

When they graduate here, many return to work there.

Current Chinese immigrants also are far from "irrational"

They know a good deal when they see one: Chinese products becoming increasingly part of their choice.

They are fully aware China becoming an economic superpower and not necessarily look at others with glee or envy any longer.

Perhaps the reason Pearl River decided in last minute to have the soon to arrive Kayserburg Artist super piano built in China instead of Germany?

It's a mixed bag with confidence in their own pianos and manufacturing slowly but steadily increasing.

From consumer to manufacturer.

The latter, I admittedly didn't "predict"...

Norbert grin

Last edited by Norbert; 03/07/13 12:18 PM.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by turandot

Norbert,
It's true that you've been predicting this for a long time, in fact for as long as you've been selling Chinese. But your statements about pride in home-grown products are a bulging bag of BS unless you're selling into a second and third generation population. Try meeting the emigrants at the airport as they de-plane with a vending cart of paper fans and parasols. You'll find out all you need to know about national pride. grin
My job has put me in close contact with thousands of Chinese emigrants since the late 70's. The restrictive conditions under which Chinese emigrants can leave the source of their national pride have improved drastically, but the fear and loathing of home-made products is just as pronounced now as it was a generation ago despite a world of difference in the products. Maybe in another generation a rational approach will temper the almost irrational extent to which the Chinese emigrant population seeks to insulate themselves from all they left behind. That would be a good thing.
In the meantime your posts on this topic are always to be savored.

Originally Posted by Norbert
Dealing with Chinese immigrants on an almost weekly basis, I can testify that most current immigrants don't leave "all" behind.
In many cases the husbands don't leave their jobs and keep on working in China. Nor do they sever their family ties. Kids frequently travel to China to visit family or attend colleges.
When they graduate here, many return to work there.
Current Chinese immigrants also are far from "irrational"
They know a good deal when they see one: Chinese products becoming increasingly part of their choice.
It's a mixed bag with confidence in their own pianos slowly but steadily increasing.
That's all.
Norbert smile

Both postings lack any facts to substantiate the claims made.So typical of this part of the forum where opinions replace actual facts.

S
S
Vancouver-Surrey Chinese are wealthier than anywhere else in North America.
People immigrate to Canada/States for different reason.

PLEYEL P124
K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
Did you thought about Boston piano maybe?
It's a mix of Steinway desing and Kawai parts, so that could be some way to go.

Maybe you should also send your father to another teacher laugh
I'am serious, teacher who only accepts Yamaha perhaps do not have idea about other comapnies or is just stubborn as person in general.
There are a lot of good pianos like W.HOFFMANN (good Bechstein trademark)that I would personally took over overpriced Yamahas.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member

Read through the entire thread. Very straight forward observations.

As the parent (father) is funding the purchase, the choice is his to make. While the OP resides under his roof he/she will be subject to parental decision making.

When the OP lives independently then purchase decisions can be made independently.

I am not actually sure why there is an attempt by the OP to insinuate him or herself into the purchase equation.
Also not sure why there is content here from the OP labelling one of his parents biased and stupid. It seems to me the intolerance of the father has been well learned by the off-spring.

Good musicians play whatever instrument is placed before them. Poor musicians make excuses and blame the equipment.

The choice for that part lies with the OP.

S
S
Originally Posted by kapelli
Maybe you should also send your father to another teacher laugh
I'am serious, teacher who only accepts Yamaha perhaps do not have idea about other comapnies or is just stubborn as person in general.
There are a lot of good pianos like W.HOFFMANN (good Bechstein trademark)that I would personally took over overpriced Yamahas.

One other possibility is that the teacher is being paid a commission by the local Ymaha dealership. It is not at all uncommon (and certainly not limited to Yamaha dealers).

You might suggest that he read a relatively unbiased publication...Piano Buyer. It may open him to other possibilities.

Last edited by Steve Cohen; 03/07/13 04:51 PM.

Piano Industry Consultant

Co-author (with Larry Fine) of Practical Piano Valuation
www.jasonsmc@msn.com

Contributing Editor & Consultant - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Retired owned of Jasons Music Center
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Family Owned and Operated Since 1937.

R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by Roger Ransom
Yes, when I was a teenager my Dad got me a very used Lyon and Healy grand piano. I was ecstatic and played it until I was out on my own supporting myself.

There is nothing wrong with a Yamaha or whatever else he wants to buy you. Thank your lucky stars and play it. There are MANY people playing on old beat up pianos who would love to trade with you.

Originally Posted by Mark Marziale
How sharper than a serpent's tooth it is to have a thankless child!

Not everyone thinks the OP has a valid complaint. Maybe he should just wait until he can buy his own piano with his own earnings. Seems a little spoiled to me.

Laugh More
Yamaha G7 - Roland FP7 - Roland FP80
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission