2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
30 members (crab89, CraiginNZ, bwv543, Cominut, Colin Miles, Andre Fadel, BWV846, 10 invisible), 1,234 guests, and 281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2043431 03/05/13 04:23 PM
C
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
C
Besides teaching privately, I work in a music store. A new teacher started within the past year, and we had quite a few conversations at which time this teacher complained that she'd forgotten alot, had been away from teaching for over 20 years, etc., and didn't feel "fresh." Her bio was recently changed to read that she's been teaching over 25 years, which is untrue, unless she started teaching at the age of 10. I was raised in an extremely honest family, and I've tried to live my life as honestly as I can, and am greatly disturbed by this, especially since I've tried to get my bio updated for over a year to reflect that my teaching experience has increased since it was originally psoted. Parents do visit the website and view teachers' bios, so it makes sense that they would select the other teacher with 10 years more experience (?) than I have. Just wondered if this is normal practice, and if not, how I should handle it - ignore it or let management know.

Piano teacher, BA Music, MTNA member
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
I think honest is the best policy.
My bio only have the year that I started teaching, parents has to do the math themselves and I do not need to change it every year on my website.

Piano lessons in Irvine, CA
Follow my 4YO student here: http://bit.ly/FollowMeiY
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Take the high road and let your own excellent teaching do the talking for you. Sooner or later people will find out who's the capable teacher who's not. We can only hope it's sooner rather than later.

Unfortunately, it seems that many customers (i.e., parents of students) don't take the time to find out who the capable teachers are.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I also think that you should 'take the high road' as AZNpiano says! I know that you will be bothered a lot by this lying and all that, but in the end the other teacher is hurting herself rather than you or the school. In the end the truth will be shown (Especially if she's forgotten to do the math correctly! :D)

G
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by AZNpiano
Take the high road and let your own excellent teaching do the

Unfortunately, it seems that many customers (i.e., parents of students) don't take the time to find out who the capable teachers are.

I would say that for most people a piano teacher is a piano teacher. If three teachers charge roughly the same amount, convenience is the deciding factor. How close is the teacher? Does the teacher make up unexcused absences? Does the teacher allow late payments, or if so without an extra charge?

And so on.

I think this only changes with time, if a student gets a good teacher (or a very bad one) and finds out the truth.

I don't know why people inflate bios. Mine is in my signature.

I'm a piano teacher. smile

If its bothering you, I would let her know. Just say, "I saw on the website that you've been teaching for 25 years. Where have you previously taught?"

She will get the hint as she stumbles to explain and account for that amount of teaching time.

If she is getting more students because parents or students value experience in your area, you should address the issue.

This is still taking the high road because you are approaching it in a non confrontational manner.

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
If you have been teaching about 10 years and another teacher 25, I think most people would not infer that one was better than the other from that little bit of information.

Some might be gender biased, others age biased, other look for a schedule, some an emotional connection, professionalism, others education/degrees, I do know that with piano and skate the teachers with the strongest students and most full schedules are the ones parents seem to want.

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by AZNpiano
Take the high road and let your own excellent teaching do the talking for you. Sooner or later people will find out who's the capable teacher who's not. We can only hope it's sooner rather than later.

Absolutely agree!!!

and to add: teacher mentioned in the OP could very well have started teaching at age 10....she was showing her little brother how to play the piano.... wink wow, some people do count those as teaching experiences.....yeesshhh.

Piano Teacher
M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by chasingrainbows
Just wondered if this is normal practice, and if not, how I should handle it - ignore it or let management know.

No, I don't think it's normal practice. The music teachers I know personally and respect would never do something like that. On the contrary, it seems like the very best teachers are somewhat understated about their qualifications. You don't have to flex much when you know you've got 'em.

I don't think it would be inappropriate to let management know, as this falsehood does reflect on their company (It's on the company website, right?). But I don't think that's the route I would go. Things like that often take care of themselves.

Pianist and Piano Teacher
M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by Gary D.
I would say that for most people a piano teacher is a piano teacher. If three teachers charge roughly the same amount, convenience is the deciding factor.

There are some parents like this. However, in my experience (in other words in my studio) this doesn't describe most parents. I've had many parents choose the teacher (me) based on qualifications (college degree and experience) and ability to participate in statewide programs, etc.

M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by Barb860
teacher mentioned in the OP could very well have started teaching at age 10....she was showing her little brother how to play the piano.... wink wow, some people do count those as teaching experiences.....yeesshhh.

Showing little brother a few things doesn't qualify as teaching experience, I agree.

However I do want to take the opportunity to mention that some do start this profession young. I know a teenager in my area who is teaching a limited number of piano lessons. The individual has the musicial skills and training needed, and has a mentor teacher helping. Since this young teacher is doing good teaching work with professionalism and integrity (more than some adults) shouldn't it count as teaching experience? In my opinion, absolutely!

This probably isn't the case with the teacher mentioned in the OP.

M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
Sounds like she's counting the lapse of time as a part of her "teaching years". It sounds dishonest to me, and I think the person who suggested asking her where she taught previously isn't a bad thing to do. She's putting that out there as common knowledge, and so you should feel free to ask her. She can always refuse to answer, and then you'll have your answer.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
..."I saw on the website that you've been teaching for 25 years. Where have you previously taught?"...

This shows a very nice refinement of technique. If it proves to be too refined for your colleague, you could start mentioning to others, in her hearing, that her age is, oh, say 15 years more than you know it to actually be. The right age for her statement about her teaching experience to be true.

Beyond that, I would go no further, since we know you to be a person of refinement yourself. She may be digging her grave with her own tongue, but there's no reason for you to jump in on top of her.

As a rule, it's best to take no notice of other people's delinquencies, if it's possible to stay out of it. Especially a liar. If she tells one, she'll tell a hundred. Some people will never tell the truth if a lie will serve; it gets to be a reflex. Anyway, maybe she was a young Mozart. Or Nanerl. Whatever.

Clef

C
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
C
Thanks for all the input. It looks like the majority feel it best not to let management know. I am going to make a point of asking about the 25 years experience, especially since she specifically told me she hadn't been teaching for over 20 years.

Piano teacher, BA Music, MTNA member
J
jdw Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
J
Since it sounds as if people don't get to post their own bios on this website, it's even possible that whoever posted it misunderstood her and that she will want to get it corrected (to give benefit of doubt).

1989 Baldwin R
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Challenge it!

Ignoring is condoning!

It also embeds a culture of acceptance and allows frauds to get away with it. You are partly responsible for any poor teaching learners may receive.

Parents and students often do not have the confidence to challenge teachers, this is what happens in Asia, guy who pretends to be a teacher but didn't graduate from high school himself but nobody feels they can challenge them. So they get away with it, the students have a massive dis-service from this.

This leads to exploitation unhappy students and people leaving, not choosing another teacher but dumping piano completely. I've encountered a number of frauds myself, this woman who didn't even have her grade 1 but had 'dabbled' I caught her out because I had the confidence to challenge her.

Would others?

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
It is this sooner or later which bothers me.

Piano lessons aren't free, and I guess there is a danger zone of students. I.e. they are quite new and vulnerable, and may well leave if they get bad tuition.

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
I have a photo of me playing a Challon at 4 years old.

Playing that kiddies song which goes (left hand)
C C E G A A C E F F A C G G B D

Does this mean I've been playing for 36 years! Of course not its fraud pure and simple!

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by chasingrainbows
Thanks for all the input. It looks like the majority feel it best not to let management know. I am going to make a point of asking about the 25 years experience, especially since she specifically told me she hadn't been teaching for over 20 years.

Sounds good. Find out more information and then decide whether or not to tell management.

Piano Teacher

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission