2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
46 members (1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, Doug M., 36251, Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, brdwyguy, 6 invisible), 1,207 guests, and 255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
J
(In the Physis piano thread, questions about the limits of other hardware came up. I mentioned using a hardware sampler instead of one of the modern synth\rompler combinations. I'm starting this new thread to avoid watering down the focus in the Physis thread.)

The question of using the Roland Integra-7 as a hardware sampler for pianos came up.

I don't know if can be used as a sampler. The Roland site says that you can plug their 2 gig flash memory stick into the Integra-7, but I'm not sure what that holds. It could be just for holding recorded songs and midi, since flash memory is what a standard usb stick uses, even though it is also used for loading samples on older samplers. But can you map samples on the Integra-7 and apply envelopes, etc? I'm not so sure.

If the major companies have decided that a good keyboard sampler or rack sampler is just too much of a threat, I guess we just won't see one from them unless we are willing to pay 4K for something like the Korg Karma. (A very nice instrument, but I just want to load my own samples into a keyboard.)

Which makes me wish that someone else would step in. Casio, now that they're taking music seriously? Behringer? (I know what people may say there...)

Of course the argument against a hardware sampler is always close by: use a laptop with Kontakt. And that may be the best way to go. Still, there's something appealing about having a keyboard with a sampler, or just one box with a preamp and all of the sounds loaded sitting on top of a keyboard.

Last edited by Jake Jackson; 03/06/13 06:00 PM.
A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
I guess the closest thing to what you want at the moment would be a Receptor.

The Integra-7 does not do sample playback, btw.

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
roland g motif receptor kronos?

There are a number of solutions, they are not fast or terribly convenient(except the receptor) compared to a laptop

J
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by emenelton
roland g motif receptor kronos?

There are a number of solutions, they are not fast or terribly convenient(except the receptor) compared to a laptop

The problem is partly the expense, and I already have a keyboard. I think of the Roland G and the Motif as synths that allow the user to load samples. The Receptor is more of a vsti host, isn't it? The Kronos looks good, but the 88 key version is about $4K.

I was thinking of something like a faster, smaller Akai S series rack but with much more RAM and the ability to use whatever hard drive one wanted. The user could load 50 gigs of samples, if need be, and dial up the instrument as wanted. Knobs to control the envelopes. Ideally, sliders for an 8 band EQ. Map the samples using Linuxsampler on a pc (the software is called LinuxSampler, but there is a PC version). And use Linux as the operating system, built into the ROM?

Could I create this? No,since programming the ROM and knowing what chips to use would lose me immediately. But surely someone with a good grasp of both sampling and building a system is out there. Feasible?

A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
Something like a Mac Mini would probably give you more capability, for less money.

X
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
X
Do we have any Linux programmers around here (besides me)? I think I will resurrect a box I have in the corner with a recent Linux install, and see if I can read midi data from the USB connection tonight. [Linux machine revived and installed. Read up on linux + midi + usb + alsa + real-time/low latency. Will connect the two tomorrow and see what I can whip up wrt midi-in audio-out.]

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission