Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2043917 - 03/06/13 12:38 PM grand piano size / selection question
dcb Offline

I'm looking for a grand piano in the 5'10" - 7-foot range for my home and struggling a bit with the decision. One of the brands I'm looking at is the Kawai RX and Shigeru Kawai SK lines but I've never been in a place that carried all sizes to compare.

If money were no issue (which unfortunately it is) should I just buy a 7-footer which is the largest piano I can fit, or are there any advantages to a smaller piano?

Once I add the fact that I do have a budget, then it turns into would I do better with a 7footer of lower quality or a 6-foot piano of higher quality. I know this has been debated before.

Then, I factor in that I've only been playing a few years so my repertoire is very limited. My confusion is making me think I should just keep my upright for a few more years.

Does anyone have any words of wisdom with this decision? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#2043929 - 03/06/13 01:15 PM Re: grand piano size / selection question [Re: dcb]
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
At 7 feet, you are talking about higher quality over all. Since budget is a concern, try to buy the largest piano your budget can allow. This is assuming, of course, that you love the piano you are about to buy as it is, and that its condition is of the same quality as a smaller, more expensive piano you are considering.

The RX line is excellent, and while I hear the Shigeru is wonderful (I've never played one), I think considering where you are in your development and budget, buying a Shigeru may be unnecessary added expense on your part.

Have you played the RX-7?
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#2043930 - 03/06/13 01:17 PM Re: grand piano size / selection question [Re: dcb]
dcb Offline

I've never played any RX larger than the RX3 but I'm hoping to in the next few months. I may also look for the new GX models as well.

#2043948 - 03/06/13 01:46 PM Re: grand piano size / selection question [Re: dcb]
PianoWorksATL Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Atlanta, GA
In a home setting, a 6' of higher quality trumps a 7' of lower quality most of the time. For halls with budget constraints, the size advantage of the slightly lower quality 7' matters more to the people in the back row.

Thankfully, there are an increasing number of moderately priced larger pianos of high to very high quality.
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta

#2043952 - 03/06/13 01:51 PM Re: grand piano size / selection question [Re: dcb]
dcb Offline

So, am I understanding your point correctly...it sounds like the larger the piano the more power/ volume you get and that is certainly more important in a concert hall vs. a home.

Do you think the touch is any better on a 7 footer with longer keys? How do you think the overall tone compares? I know these are generalities, but still useful as a starting point.

Thanks.

#2043956 - 03/06/13 01:59 PM Re: grand piano size / selection question [Re: dcb]
Withindale Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Suffolk, England
As you seem to be happy enough with your upright for now, I'd suggest you give yourself time enough for the decision to take itself. Just go and play some pianos until you come across one you really want to buy. It works.

#2043959 - 03/06/13 02:00 PM Re: grand piano size / selection question [Re: dcb]
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
My experience has been that playing on a 7' is much more satisfying than a 6' of the same quality in a home or small hall setting. The bass just sounds so much more clearer and dynamic. Not bashing 6' pianos, of course, but the strings just aren't as long, and I don't really know how you can get over it.

Also, the OP isn't comparing low quality /lesser brand 7' with higher quality 6' brand. I think the Kawai RX series is not "low quality" at 7'. It's comparing great with better or something like that.
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#2043964 - 03/06/13 02:14 PM Re: grand piano size / selection question [Re: dcb]
Steven Y. A. Offline

Loc: Toronto
I think its a matter of preferrence. SK2 has superior tones. RX7 has better dynamics,bass and volume.
and i thought the MIII action are different from SK vs RX (besides key length).

#2043969 - 03/06/13 02:22 PM Re: grand piano size / selection question [Re: dcb]
dcb Offline

I think comparing an SK2 vs. an RX7 is a perfect comparison. Both great pianos one bigger, the other more hand made..better materials.

I can certainly hear the tone difference between an sk2 and an Rx2 but I've never been able to compare an RX7 next to an SK2.

#2044003 - 03/06/13 03:32 PM Re: grand piano size / selection question [Re: dcb]
PattyP Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Texas
Wow, dcb, what a dilemma to have: an RX or a Shigeru! They're both wonderful pianos. I've had the pleasure of playing both side-by-side at two different dealers and each experience was delightful.

I'd always shied away from the Asian-made pianos, much preferring the sound of the European-made instruments. The first time I tried an RX series, I was very surprised. The sound and overall quality pretty much upset everything I thought I knew about Kawai in general. The RX's rich tone was more to my liking than my previous experiences with Asian-made painos and the touch was nice. On that same visit, I discovered the Shigeru, which is now on my short list of acoustics. IMO, the Shigeru is more similar to European pianos, without the sometimes muddied bass. The treble is clear and sweet without being bright or shrill. I would highly recommend that you try to find a dealer that carries Shigeru, even if you have to drive a bit. Call them and tell them you're coming to test an SK and ask that it be properly prepped and tuned. I don't think you'll be sorry.

And, again IMO, a 7' anything is the sweet spot.

Keep us posted on your research and good luck!

disclaimer: this post is strictly my personal opinion and not meant to offend any piano owners/lovers of any make, ever. smile

A tired dog is a good dog.

#2044011 - 03/06/13 03:43 PM Re: grand piano size / selection question [Re: dcb]
musicpassion Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: California, USA
In a home, the higher quality 6' piano would outperform the lesser quality 7' piano most of the time.

As you can already see on this thread not everyone agrees with my opinion on this matter. But if the decision is between a 6' Shigeru and a 7' RX... I'd take the Shigeru in a heartbeat.

Why? Well, let's evaluate what the larger piano gives you. Probably more volume. But in a home you don't need more than a good 6' can give you. Greater definition/tone in the low bass. This is a benefit of the larger piano, but it - IMHO - applies only to the very bottom of the instrument. How many pieces do you play that even use the very bottom notes of the piano extensively? It wasn't even there when Mozart was writing. I'm not saying it's unimportant, but keep it in perspective.

What are the benefits of the higher quality piano? Keep in mind we're talking about going from a consumer grade piano to a very respected top tier instrument. First of all, better sustain. In my experience comparing pianos, sustain is related to the quality of the piano, not the size. Better tone in the parts of the piano you play the most. Even very small grands can have good tone in the 4th and 5th octaves, and 6' certainly isn't a small grand. Better cabinet finish work - this may or may not be important to you, but some of those top tier pianos are a thing of beauty. Better resale. Better dynamic range - this is more related to the quality of the hammers, action, and voicing than to the size. More soul. The last one of perhaps the most important of all to me, and the one completely undefinable. But when you play a piano where the craftsmen have put their absolute best into the instrument - instead of watching a price point - the piano takes on it's own character.

#2044021 - 03/06/13 04:29 PM Re: grand piano size / selection question [Re: dcb]
UKPianoMan Offline

Loc: London, UK
I tried one of the new Yamaha C1X last weekend, they sound is astonishing for such a small piano. The bass was pretty much just as resonant as the high end with no break in registers and a lovely decay. Great quality for the price if you like Yamahas.
Plan on trying to finance a Grand Piano by the end of 2013 *Donations kindly accepted, apply within*

#2044040 - 03/06/13 05:13 PM Re: grand piano size / selection question [Re: dcb]
tend to rush Offline

I'd drive the dealers nuts going back and forth playing both until you're sure. If you can't decide yet, I don't think you're ready to buy yet.

#2044096 - 03/06/13 07:18 PM Re: grand piano size / selection question [Re: dcb]
adak Offline

Loc: Canada
I think 7 feet pianos look way better than 6 feet pianos, I would consider the 7 feet.

#2044105 - 03/06/13 07:35 PM Re: grand piano size / selection question [Re: dcb]
LFL Offline

In my recent piano search, I was able to compare an RX5 with an SK5 side by side. I also played an RX6 (remember the RX/SK6 is 7' and the RX/SK7 is 7'6'"). The RX6 had remarkable overall sound in terms of tone and was easy to play. However, it (and all the RX's) do not compare to the SK's in terms of sustain and what I call "resonance". I will also say that there was a significant difference between the RX6 vs. RX5. I didn't think that 6" would make a difference, but it did.

But, in a home situation, unless you have a large (I would say about 30'x20'x10-12') I think the 7' and longer can become too loud. Stated differently, if it came down to an RX6 vs. an SK3, for example, I would consider the SK3 strongly and the prices might not be too different. You can get a better discount on the RX's vs. the SK's.

Can you tell us where you live (state) and we might be able to guide you to dealers that likely have multiple selections to compare side by side? It doesn't sound like you are ready to plop down money yet...those on this forum helped me greatly by reinforcing not to actually buy until one is REALLY happy with the choice. This is more important than the choice of what car to buy...

#2044137 - 03/06/13 08:36 PM Re: grand piano size / selection question [Re: dcb]
dcb Offline

I actually found a dealer in NY that has the whole line so I'm going to try them out. In new pianos I really only have the budget for an RX3 so I'm also looking at the used market. I found a new SK2 that was almost within my budget and then my thoughts were whether or not it was worth it or if I should try to find a used RX6 or something similar.

I think your advice to not buy something unless I'm really happy with it is very solid. Thanks.

#2044152 - 03/06/13 08:52 PM Re: grand piano size / selection question [Re: dcb]
PattyP Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Texas
Originally Posted By: dcb
I actually found a dealer in NY that has the whole line so I'm going to try them out.

I think you aught to take a lunch with you and spend the day. Have a blast! and report back. smile

A tired dog is a good dog.

#2044209 - 03/06/13 10:51 PM Re: grand piano size / selection question [Re: dcb]
Mwm Offline
500 Post Club Member

I had a sub 5 foot grand for decades, moved to a C2, which I loved, for a year and a half. I found it was limited sonically, which an effect on my enjoyment of the music on which I was working. I spent months playing every type of of 6+ foot piano and fell in love with a M&H BB. My living room is 17x18x8, not large by any standard for a seven foot piano. I had it voiced in and for the room. People now comment the sound is like being in a concert hall. I can play the piano with the lid fully open while people in the room are having a conversation. To be fair, it has taken me a while to learn how to play softly. The point is, voicing is everything. If you like the sound of the various registers in the piano, a good voicing will make it work in just about any room.

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
104 registered (36251, Allard, aesop, Al LaPorte, Abby Pianoman, 31 invisible), 1017 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75969 Members
42 Forums
157106 Topics
2307306 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Does it get easier?
by Pover
08/28/14 07:10 AM
Correct fingering
by johan d
08/28/14 06:50 AM
An update on Ethan Hawke's docu about Seymour Bernstein
by music32
08/28/14 04:36 AM
Tuning the 7th octave
by AaronM
08/28/14 01:29 AM
Some Swan Lake
by harpon
08/28/14 12:53 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission