Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2044049 - 03/06/13 05:35 PM Arpeggios in left hand larger than one octave
jaredm2012 Offline

Loc: Alabama
I'm going to describe this the best I can without a picture, so I hope everyone can follow along!

I've noticed several pieces that use a particular arpeggio figure in the left hand (maybe there is a name for this?). For instance, one like this (in 8th notes)

A - E - C - E - C -E

(A in bass clef staff, E in bass clef staff, middle C, E in bass clef staff, middle C, E in bass clef staff). Note that the "C" is the one a 6th above the E, not the C a 3rd below.

How should I finger this? The span from A to C is somewhat wide for my hand, and I can't seem to find a comfortable way to manage this. Note that these generally occur in sections that would use the pedal.

I typically would do 5 - 3/2 - 1 - 3/2 - 1 - 3/2

What do you guys think?

Edited by jaredm2012 (03/06/13 05:37 PM)

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#2044055 - 03/06/13 05:55 PM Re: Arpeggios in left hand larger than one octave [Re: jaredm2012]
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia
If your hand is too small, it might be best to break the A from the rest, and use the pedal to cover the leap (if the passage permits). In this case, you can use:

If you need to connect, I would try:

(assuming this goes back down to the A and repeats)

I really don't like changing fingers a lot if the passage is quick, but you may not have a choice. Depends on a lot of things.

One other idea: can you place the C in the RH?

#2044063 - 03/06/13 06:17 PM Re: Arpeggios in left hand larger than one octave [Re: jaredm2012]
beechcraft409 Offline

I would use 5 - 3 - 1 - 3 - 1 - 3. A piece I just learned actually had several very similar phrases in the LH. All 8th notes: A3 E3 C4 E3 B4 E3 A4 E3 - and this same pattern on a few different roots.

But I had started doing it using my index finger on that E3, wasn't really working, and so I found I could stretch my thumb up the keyboard to that C4 much better when my middle finger was on the E. There was even one that went F2 E3 C4, and using the middle finger made all the difference in the world.

One thing you can try is to rotate your wrist inward as you press the E, if that makes sense. Starting with pinky on A, your hand is angled in a way not conducive to going UP the keys. As you push the E, use your fingertip as a pivot-point and bring your wrist inward, that way you don't have to stretch your hand a full 10th. You can buy your self a few more keys doing this. And if you need to go back to the A just swing the wrist back out.

#2044067 - 03/06/13 06:27 PM Re: Arpeggios in left hand larger than one octave [Re: jaredm2012]
adak Offline

Loc: Canada
What size is your hand?

#2044069 - 03/06/13 06:28 PM Re: Arpeggios in left hand larger than one octave [Re: jaredm2012]
beechcraft409 Offline

I can (uncomfortably) hit a 10th. A 9th isn't uncomfortable.

#2044087 - 03/06/13 06:57 PM Re: Arpeggios in left hand larger than one octave [Re: beechcraft409]
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: beechcraft409
I would use 5 - 3 - 1 - 3 - 1 - 3. A piece I just learned actually had several very similar phrases in the LH. All 8th notes: A3 E3 C4 E3 B4 E3 A4 E3 - and this same pattern on a few different roots.

But I had started doing it using my index finger on that E3, wasn't really working, and so I found I could stretch my thumb up the keyboard to that C4 much better when my middle finger was on the E. There was even one that went F2 E3 C4, and using the middle finger made all the difference in the world.

One thing you can try is to rotate your wrist inward as you press the E, if that makes sense. Starting with pinky on A, your hand is angled in a way not conducive to going UP the keys. As you push the E, use your fingertip as a pivot-point and bring your wrist inward, that way you don't have to stretch your hand a full 10th. You can buy your self a few more keys doing this. And if you need to go back to the A just swing the wrist back out.

You're not breaking your wrist when you do this, are you?

#2044125 - 03/06/13 08:14 PM Re: Arpeggios in left hand larger than one octave [Re: Derulux]
beechcraft409 Offline

Originally Posted By: Derulux

Nah I'm like a swan, full of grace. Haha seriously though, if you hit the A once at first then alternate on the E and C a few times, what good is it to have your pinky hovering near the A? Especially if it is holding back your reach. It need not be a lurching or convulsive maneuver, but just a smooth rotation of the hand and you can reach a few more keys over.

#2044170 - 03/06/13 09:17 PM Re: Arpeggios in left hand larger than one octave [Re: beechcraft409]
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: beechcraft409
Originally Posted By: Derulux

Nah I'm like a swan, full of grace. Haha seriously though, if you hit the A once at first then alternate on the E and C a few times, what good is it to have your pinky hovering near the A? Especially if it is holding back your reach. It need not be a lurching or convulsive maneuver, but just a smooth rotation of the hand and you can reach a few more keys over.

Just hoping you're avoiding twisting. You're not supposed to leave the pinky on the A. wink

#2044197 - 03/06/13 10:22 PM Re: Arpeggios in left hand larger than one octave [Re: jaredm2012]
jaredm2012 Offline

Loc: Alabama
I'll give these suggestions a shot.

I can very easily reach an octave, I can reach a 9th easily, and a 10th is uncomfortable but doable. But holding my hand in that 10th position to play the figure is extremely uncomfortable. I want to have the upper two notes be between 4 and 1, that is the most comfortable, but was somewhat difficult to do. But I'll check out these suggestions and see what works. Thanks!

#2044199 - 03/06/13 10:29 PM Re: Arpeggios in left hand larger than one octave [Re: jaredm2012]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
I happen to have large hands (I can block the chord A-D-F#-A-D in my left hand) and so 5-2-1-2-1-2 is not an issue for me in this particular case. However, I like the suggestion of subsituting 3 for 2 if you cannot span a 10th comfortably.

Polyphonist

#2044221 - 03/06/13 11:03 PM Re: Arpeggios in left hand larger than one octave [Re: jaredm2012]
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: jaredm2012
I'll give these suggestions a shot.

I can very easily reach an octave, I can reach a 9th easily, and a 10th is uncomfortable but doable. But holding my hand in that 10th position to play the figure is extremely uncomfortable. I want to have the upper two notes be between 4 and 1, that is the most comfortable, but was somewhat difficult to do. But I'll check out these suggestions and see what works. Thanks!

To get the 4, don't worry about positioning your hand for the A. You're actually going to position your hand for the ECECE group, and leap to the A only when you have to play it.

You will really have to settle on the E with the 4 in order to make this work. It's a moderately difficult technique, but for smaller hands it is the best solution.

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Steinway Austria Benjamin BE-117
by bmc100
Today at 03:59 AM
Trinity ATCL exam questions
by slava_richter
Yesterday at 09:54 PM
JBL LSR305 monitors too noisy for DP usage?
by Emiliano
Yesterday at 09:52 PM
Pletnev - Poise under duress
by vers la flan
Yesterday at 07:34 PM
Chopin Op 10 No 6
by Cheeto717
Yesterday at 07:08 PM
Who's Online
48 registered (Colin Thomson, Beemer, casinitaly, cmoody31, alfredo capurso, 6 invisible), 867 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76253 Members
42 Forums
157637 Topics
2315439 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission