Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#2044268 - 03/07/13 12:09 AM Re: How about a 64 key piano ... ? Rolands new RD-64 [Re: Dr Popper]
Dr Popper Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hancock Park LA (not again)
Makes perfect sense when you put It like that

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Yamaha Keyboards for Performance and Composition

Click Here

#2044280 - 03/07/13 12:19 AM Re: How about a 64 key piano ... ? Rolands new RD-64 [Re: ctnski]
theJourney Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Banned
Originally Posted By: ctnski
Interesting product; but being longer than necessary and thus exceeding the ATA limit of 62 inches (when put into a travel case

This is the problem, again and again.

#2045292 - 03/08/13 10:36 PM Re: How about a 64 key piano ... ? Rolands new RD-64 [Re: theJourney]
ctnski Offline

Loc: Jacksonville, FL
Originally Posted By: theJourney
Interesting product; but being longer than necessary and thus exceeding the ATA limit of 62 inches (when put into a travel case

Needn't be so.

Can it really be so difficult to make a shorter version of an FP-7F, with keys running out to both ends and controls at the top?

This is how you do it: start with a 62-inch travel case (say, 44 x 12 x 6) and design a keyboard with as many keys as will fit into it. Make it as high quality as the full-size boards, with weighted keys and great piano sounds. It would weigh about 25 lbs, less than 40 lbs. in its case, and would be the only product on the market that could be advertised as a travel-friendly piano.

Even better, design a dedicated case that could easily be converted into a stand, flip it over and set the piano on top and design some retractable legs into the case. Make the whole package under 50 lbs. and 62 inches. Sell a bunch, I just know you would.

I keep hoping.

#2045405 - 03/09/13 08:29 AM Re: How about a 64 key piano ... ? Rolands new RD-64 [Re: ctnski]
ClsscLib Offline

Platinum Supporter until Jan 02 2013

Loc: Northern VA, U.S.

Needn't be so.

Can it really be so difficult to make a shorter version of an FP-7F, with keys running out to both ends and controls at the top?

This is how you do it: start with a 62-inch travel case (say, 44 x 12 x 6) and design a keyboard with as many keys as will fit into it. Make it as high quality as the full-size boards, with weighted keys and great piano sounds. It would weigh about 25 lbs, less than 40 lbs. in its case, and would be the only product on the market that could be advertised as a travel-friendly piano.

Even better, design a dedicated case that could easily be converted into a stand, flip it over and set the piano on top and design some retractable legs into the case. Make the whole package under 50 lbs. and 62 inches. Sell a bunch, I just know you would.

I keep hoping.

I can guarantee that you'd sell at least one!

On the ATA issue, I believe this Roland fits into some hardshell cases designed for 61-key controllers. I do not know whether those cases meet the ATA standards.

Edited by ClsscLib (03/09/13 08:29 AM)

"People may say I can't sing, but no one can ever say I didn't sing."

-- Florence Foster Jenkins

#2045424 - 03/09/13 09:20 AM Re: How about a 64 key piano ... ? Rolands new RD-64 [Re: Dr Popper]
ctnski Offline

I own just such a case, an SKB hardshell with wheels, designed for 61-key controllers. Unfortunately, it measures 45 x 18 x 7, for a total of 70 inches.

Again, one only needs to start with a case of maximum dimensions, then design the keyboard with maximum number of keys to fit in said case. Elementary.

#2045442 - 03/09/13 09:44 AM Re: How about a 64 key piano ... ? Rolands new RD-64 [Re: ctnski]
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern NJ

Even better, build the DP into the flight case. They used to do this sort of thing, not sure why they don't anymore - like everything else DP I suppose it makes too much sense.

#2045466 - 03/09/13 10:55 AM Re: How about a 64 key piano ... ? Rolands new RD-64 [Re: ctnski]
anotherscott Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

This is how you do it: start with a 62-inch travel case (say, 44 x 12 x 6) and design a keyboard with as many keys as will fit into it. Make it as high quality as the full-size boards, with weighted keys and great piano sounds. It would weigh about 25 lbs

A short version of an FP-74 still wouldn't weight 25 lbs. At 88 keys, its 53 pounds. So you'd probably have to get down to around a minuscule 44 keys to get to that 25 lb range. But as for lighter weight boards, it is a shame that they built the RD-64 around the A-88 foundation (with controls on the left) instead of the FP-4F foundation (with controls behind). But in terms of re-purposing existing designs, functionally/electronically, the A-88 had the controller functionality, so you can see where that choice came from. So I guess then the argument could be made that, even for the A-88, they should have designed it with the controls behind. After all, that board is arguably annoyingly long for what it is as well! Maybe for some reason, it was just cheaper to manufacture that way, with a short control panel to the left of the keys instead of a long narrow control panel behind.

#2045704 - 03/09/13 09:49 PM Re: How about a 64 key piano ... ? Rolands new RD-64 [Re: Dr Popper]
ctnski Offline

I agree with all of that. The shorter 'board should be a shortened FP-4, not an FP-7. Whatever the rationale for putting the controls to the left, doing so lost them at least one sale.

Dewster, making the keyboard integral with the case would be a great way to maximize its size. Just want it to include some fold-down legs so the whole thing is a usable package. No use having a travel piano if you have no stand to set it up on.

#2045782 - 03/10/13 04:25 AM Re: How about a 64 key piano ... ? Rolands new RD-64 [Re: anotherscott]
theJourney Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Banned
Originally Posted By: anotherscott
...that board is arguably annoyingly long for what it is as well! Maybe for some reason, it was just cheaper to manufacture that way, with a short control panel to the left of the keys instead of a long narrow control panel behind.

Yes. There seems to be a lot of that going around: forget what consumers' needs are, just build it at the highest possible profit margin.

#2045787 - 03/10/13 04:45 AM Re: How about a 64 key piano ... ? Rolands new RD-64 [Re: theJourney]
Temperament Offline

Loc: Hun,EU
+1

One small step in the right direction is the announcement of the Studiologic Acuna73. But not in the same league (2 sensor controller only; TP100 Fatar keybed with a little short keys).
But very light, seems right priced and focused on an interface as a control device right. (But not generic, iPad support only).already on sale (in Italy)?

#2045863 - 03/10/13 10:47 AM Re: How about a 64 key piano ... ? Rolands new RD-64 [Re: theJourney]
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: anotherscott
...that board is arguably annoyingly long for what it is as well! Maybe for some reason, it was just cheaper to manufacture that way, with a short control panel to the left of the keys instead of a long narrow control panel behind.

Yes. There seems to be a lot of that going around: forget what consumers' needs are, just build it at the highest possible profit margin.

Well, profit is why they build things at all, and Roland is not exactly swimming in an abundance of profit these days. I wonder if they would sell many more of these things (A88, RD64, A49) if they had put the controls up above the keys, but they had to charge $50-$100 more, for example, and whether they had considered that option. But then again, Roland has a history of making products I find "almost" great but with a few unfortunate design decisions.

#2046234 - 03/10/13 10:47 PM Re: How about a 64 key piano ... ? Rolands new RD-64 [Re: Temperament]
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern NJ
Originally Posted By: Temperament
One small step in the right direction is the announcement of the Studiologic Acuna73. But not in the same league (2 sensor controller only; TP100 Fatar keybed with a little short keys).

Studiologic & Fatar - a match made in heaven. wink

#2046245 - 03/10/13 11:06 PM Re: How about a 64 key piano ... ? Rolands new RD-64 [Re: dewster]
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: dewster

Studiologic & Fatar - a match made in heaven. wink

I believe they are two divisions of the same company.

#2046334 - 03/11/13 04:09 AM Re: How about a 64 key piano ... ? Rolands new RD-64 [Re: Dr Popper]
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: The Netherlands
With all due respect , but if you look at the B-stock list of the big web shops, you'll be surprised how many Nano's and other Studiologic TP100 boards are send back. Not a good sign IMHO. If they would ramp up support and communication with their customer base , things might improve, but they always seem to be living in a cave underground as far as support / updates etc are concerned. If your unit is OK and the software works for you, you can have a nice , light and cheap board. If not - you're on your own. Fatar/SL should start living in the 21st century ...

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Need help with chords
by Shirz
10/25/14 07:52 AM
Which are the best forums for piano technicians and DIYers?
by Withindale
10/25/14 03:17 AM
Prelude
by noobpianist90
10/25/14 01:55 AM
Red Striped Screws and Fancy Nuts
by chernobieff
10/24/14 11:57 PM
Communication outside of lessons
by Arghhh
10/24/14 10:23 PM
Who's Online
126 registered (36251, ando, anamnesis, anotherscott, angga888, 35 invisible), 1398 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76651 Members
42 Forums
158487 Topics
2327500 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission