Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
120 registered (anamnesis, anotherscott, accordeur, ando, Anita Potter, 40 invisible), 1825 Guests and 22 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2044201 - 03/06/13 10:37 PM Suggestions for <5 minutes audition pieces
ABC Vermonter Offline

Hi,

I have been blessed with many good things. For one, I will be studying with Prof. Arie Vardi this coming summer. Lucky me. smile

I also auditioned for a national broadcasting show, and they liked my playing. I have not had an invitation yet, and I think the issue is that my previous audition pieces are either too short or too long for programming purpose. They asked me to submit more audition materials in about 9 months. For soloists, they will choose a less-than-5-minute piece for the show. I am thinking about submitting at least 2 pieces, each has a length between 3 minutes 30 seconds and 5 minutes, so that they can choose one out of those that I submit.

The show is designed to be entertaining and is very competitive for applicants. I am thinking about learning Prokofiev Toccata. It is about 4 minutes, and I like the piece a lot. Do you think it is entertaining enough to be on a national show? I also need at least another piece. Since next year is going to be Alkan's 200th birthday, do you have any suggestion for a <5 minutes Alkan piece that is substaintial and entertaning? More generally, if you have any other suggestion, I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

Edited by ABC Vermonter (03/06/13 10:41 PM)

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#2044206 - 03/06/13 10:47 PM Re: Suggestions for <5 minutes audition pieces [Re: ABC Vermonter]
pianoloverus Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
Can you tell us which national broadcasting show?

#2044208 - 03/06/13 10:50 PM Re: Suggestions for <5 minutes audition pieces [Re: ABC Vermonter]
Polyphonist Online   content
7000 Post Club Member

Do you have any technical limitations? Is there anything you couldn't learn? After I know this I'll make suggestions. smile

Polyphonist

#2044216 - 03/06/13 10:57 PM Re: Suggestions for <5 minutes audition pieces [Re: pianoloverus]
ABC Vermonter Offline

Originally Posted By: pianoloverus

Hi pianoloverus,

I know it is unfair to not tell you the name of the show. But this is a public domain and I want to be careful before I have an invitation. I hope you can understand. The show is a pre-college show. But the featured soloists are often very young, 8-13 years old. I think this is good for the show's rating. This, however, makes me look old. smile

#2044220 - 03/06/13 11:02 PM Re: Suggestions for <5 minutes audition pieces [Re: ABC Vermonter]
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: ABC Vermonter

Hi pianoloverus,

I know it is unfair to not tell you the name of the show. But this is a public domain and I want to be careful before I have an invitation. I hope you can understand. The show is a pre-college show. But the featured soloists are often very young, 8-13 years old. I think this is good for the show's rating. This, however, makes me look old. smile

Just out of curiosity, how old are you then?
(In addition to my previous question)

Polyphonist

#2044222 - 03/06/13 11:05 PM Re: Suggestions for <5 minutes audition pieces [Re: ABC Vermonter]
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia

Hi pianoloverus,

Send us a private message. Start with pianoloverus, though. He probably has far more experience in this category than me.

#2044227 - 03/06/13 11:11 PM Re: Suggestions for <5 minutes audition pieces [Re: Polyphonist]
ABC Vermonter Offline

Originally Posted By: Polyphonist

Hi pianoloverus,

Just out of curiosity, how old are you then?
(In addition to my previous question)

I am 15. smile

I do not know how to answer the question of technical limitation. All I know is that I have not run into real trouble yet learning my music. My current pieces are the following:

Beethoven Appasionata,
Mephisto Waltz,
Rach Rhapsody,
Bach BWV 888, and a few other things.

#2044231 - 03/06/13 11:17 PM Re: Suggestions for <5 minutes audition pieces [Re: Derulux]
ABC Vermonter Offline

Originally Posted By: Derulux

Hi pianoloverus,

Send us a private message. Start with pianoloverus, though. He probably has far more experience in this category than me.

Thanks for the suggestion. I followed it and just sent a PM to you.

#2044239 - 03/06/13 11:23 PM Re: Suggestions for <5 minutes audition pieces [Re: ABC Vermonter]
7000 Post Club Member

Liszt wrote a large number of virtuoso etudes and other short pieces, some of which are between the 3 1/2 to 5 minute time range you specify (at least on the recordings I own). These include:

Transcendental Etude #3
Transcendental Etude #5 (Feux follets)
Waldesrauschen
Un Sospiro
Grand Galop Chromatique
Hungarian Rhapsodies: #15, #17, #18

That is just a quick sample of the available pieces from Liszt alone. I'd also consider the longer Rachmaninov Etude-Tableaux or the longest Chopin etudes, among other things. If you want suggestions for any of these pieces I'll give you some.

Polyphonist

#2044255 - 03/06/13 11:45 PM Re: Suggestions for <5 minutes audition pieces [Re: ABC Vermonter]
DameMyra Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: South Jersey
Liszt, Transcendental Etude #10
Rachmaninoff, Prelude Op. 23, No.2
Rachmaninoff, Moment Musicaux, Op. 16, No.4

#2044261 - 03/06/13 11:54 PM Re: Suggestions for <5 minutes audition pieces [Re: DameMyra]
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: DameMyra

The Liszt is too long and the Rachmaninov 16/4 is too short.

Polyphonist

#2044273 - 03/07/13 12:11 AM Re: Suggestions for <5 minutes audition pieces [Re: ABC Vermonter]
Orange Soda King Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Louisville, Kentucky, United S...
Prokofiev Toccata is a good piece.

Some Alkan suggestions:

-Chant in E Major, Op. 38a No. 1
-Etude in E Major, Op. 35 No. 12 (if you're good with octaves)
-3rd movement from Symphonie for Solo Piano (Op. 39 No. 6)
-Capriccio alla soldatesca, Op.50

#2044276 - 03/07/13 12:14 AM Re: Suggestions for <5 minutes audition pieces [Re: Polyphonist]
DameMyra Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: South Jersey

The Liszt is too long.

Really?

#2044277 - 03/07/13 12:15 AM Re: Suggestions for <5 minutes audition pieces [Re: Polyphonist]
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

The Liszt is not too long, and it happens to be my favorite of the Transcendentals. You don't have to play it Berezovsky-fast. I clock in anywhere from 4:15-4:30 depending on my mood.

#2044285 - 03/07/13 12:29 AM Re: Suggestions for <5 minutes audition pieces [Re: ABC Vermonter]
Damon Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: St. Louis area
I am thinking about learning Prokofiev Toccata. It is about 4 minutes, and I like the piece a lot. Do you think it is entertaining enough to be on a national show?

Yes!

#2044286 - 03/07/13 12:30 AM Re: Suggestions for <5 minutes audition pieces [Re: Derulux]
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Derulux

The Liszt is not too long, and it happens to be my favorite of the Transcendentals. You don't have to play it Berezovsky-fast. I clock in anywhere from 4:15-4:30 depending on my mood.

Sorry about that. I was confusing it with a different one. It's not too long. grin

Polyphonist

#2044287 - 03/07/13 12:30 AM Re: Suggestions for <5 minutes audition pieces [Re: DameMyra]
Damon Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: St. Louis area

The Liszt is too long.

Really?

As long as you can play it a little faster than Bolet (5:09), which almost everyone does, it should work fine.

#2044293 - 03/07/13 12:55 AM Re: Suggestions for <5 minutes audition pieces [Re: Damon]
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Damon
I am thinking about learning Prokofiev Toccata. It is about 4 minutes, and I like the piece a lot. Do you think it is entertaining enough to be on a national show?

Yes!

Incidentally, I thought this was a fine selection.. which is why I said nothing else until the Liszt came up. smile

Also, OP, I sent back a PM to you. Thoughts in general, not piece selections. Some of the other guys are much better at coming up with really good pieces for these types of events.

#2044299 - 03/07/13 01:40 AM Re: Suggestions for <5 minutes audition pieces [Re: Damon]
Nikolas Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Europe
Originally Posted By: Damon

The Liszt is too long.

Really?

As long as you can play it a little faster than Bolet (5:09), which almost everyone does, it should work fine.
How's 4:59 like? LOL ! laugh

#2044314 - 03/07/13 02:37 AM Re: Suggestions for <5 minutes audition pieces [Re: ABC Vermonter]
btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pretoria South Africa
Hi ABC,

My recommendation would be to skirt the Prokofieff Opus 11. I’ve been working through the Toccata and presently up to m16 ... but have to say ...

thank goodness Prokofieff graduated to latter masterpieces ... Opus 11 Toccata is a percussive bombardment of my flapping ears ..
I’m looking forward to teatime.

However my personal feel for Prokofieff is based
purely on the playing of the keyboard piece
“The Love of Three Oranges”.

Surely there are better fish to fry as listed by the others.

#2044336 - 03/07/13 05:16 AM Re: Suggestions for <5 minutes audition pieces [Re: ABC Vermonter]
bennevis Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

How about a Liszt transcription of a song? Nice tune to get going, followed by fireworks.

There's the famous Schumann/Liszt Widmung (3:30).

Or Schubert/Liszt like the lovely Auf dem Wasser zu singen. Or even Erlkönig, if you really want to show off.....
(Both clock in around 4:30).

#2044342 - 03/07/13 05:44 AM Re: Suggestions for <5 minutes audition pieces [Re: ABC Vermonter]
landorrano Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: France
Hi ABC. You want to show these folks a good time. Don't sit them down with Rachmaninoff or Listz, whup 'em up with some Schubert! Danses, ländler and so on. Played at a brisk tempo and with plenty of Alpine swing!

#2044527 - 03/07/13 01:38 PM Re: Suggestions for <5 minutes audition pieces [Re: ABC Vermonter]
BruceD Offline

Loc: Victoria, BC
I would second a Schubert/Liszt or Schumann/Liszt transcription.

The third of the Liszt "Three Concert Etudes," "Un sospiro," might be a good choice too, given that it provides lyricism, some mildly virtuosic intensity in the middle section, and a couple of fleeting cadenzas. My playing of it runs to just a little over five minutes, and I don't play it as fast as some.

Regards,

#2044544 - 03/07/13 02:36 PM Re: Suggestions for <5 minutes audition pieces [Re: ABC Vermonter]
FSO Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: UK, Brighton
A couple more from Alkan: Comme le Vent, Op.39 No.1; or Le Chemin de Fer, Op.27..a lot of his works are either too long or too short, but many of the etudes fall into the area you're looking at...um...if you think you could manage it I believe a convincing performance of Op.15 No.2 may be theoretically possible in under five minutes...not that I know of anyone doing anywhere near it just yet grin Um...Prokofiev's Toccata is perfectly exciting and amazing for an audience; with the right temperament it can be surprisingly tear-jerking also. Certainly I would consider it very seriously; it's a cracker. Good luck for the future! ...And well done so far! <3
Xxx

#2044575 - 03/07/13 03:51 PM Re: Suggestions for <5 minutes audition pieces [Re: bennevis]
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: bennevis
How about a Liszt transcription of a song? Nice tune to get going, followed by fireworks.

There's the famous Schumann/Liszt Widmung (3:30).

Or Schubert/Liszt like the lovely Auf dem Wasser zu singen. Or even Erlkönig, if you really want to show off.....
(Both clock in around 4:30).

The Widmung, I believe, was actually just featured at the competition. I was checking out their site to get an idea of what they accept and saw someone perform it. Shame, it would have been very nice, indeed.

#2044643 - 03/07/13 05:01 PM Re: Suggestions for <5 minutes audition pieces [Re: ABC Vermonter]
jeffreyjones Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Jose, CA
Prokofiev 7th sonata, 3rd movement - always brings down the house. Much more musically interesting than the Toccata.

#2044648 - 03/07/13 05:07 PM Re: Suggestions for <5 minutes audition pieces [Re: jeffreyjones]
Orange Soda King Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Louisville, Kentucky, United S...
Originally Posted By: jeffreyjones
Prokofiev 7th sonata, 3rd movement - always brings down the house. Much more musically interesting than the Toccata.

It's also a good choice yes, but much more musically interesting than the Toccata? I'm not saying the Toccata is greater, but I think the Toccata is a perfectly fine and musically interesting work, too..

#2044710 - 03/07/13 06:57 PM Re: Suggestions for <5 minutes audition pieces [Re: Orange Soda King]
AldenH Offline

Loc: Texas
Originally Posted By: Orange Soda King
Originally Posted By: jeffreyjones

It's also a good choice yes, but much more musically interesting than the Toccata? I'm not saying the Toccata is greater, but I think the Toccata is a perfectly fine and musically interesting work, too..

I would be inclined to agree with Jeffrey. The Toccata is fun, exciting, and generally satisfying, but I just have this feeling that I would find the finale of the 7th more stimulating to practice for long hours: more variety?

Re OP: You only have a couple of genre options, the way I see it.

a) Romantic etudes or bigger character pieces
b) early 20th century sonata finales (or possibly etudes)

A great etude, impressive and insanely difficult as well as gorgeous is Scriabin Op. 42, No. 5.

For the latter, another option that would suit you well (knowing your playing) and really give even you a workout is the Barber Sonata fugue finale

#2044734 - 03/07/13 07:44 PM Re: Suggestions for <5 minutes audition pieces [Re: ABC Vermonter]
asthecrowflies Offline

Loc: London, Cambridge, San Francis...
Not sure how "serious" it's supposed to be, but there's Grainger's In Dahomey, a show piece if there ever was one.

#2044740 - 03/07/13 07:55 PM Re: Suggestions for <5 minutes audition pieces [Re: ABC Vermonter]
BDB Online   content

Loc: Oakland
How about Gottschalk' Pasquinade?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!

Trade Regrets:
Barry "Bear" Arnaut

(ad) Yamaha
Yamaha
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Kawai CA95 - Any Firmware Updates
by McBuster
11/23/14 10:45 AM
Mozart sonata k.333, Mark C?
by Pover
11/23/14 09:54 AM
100 years old and music keeps her active
by Rich Galassini
11/23/14 07:45 AM
At 100 years old, she says music keeps her well
by Rich Galassini
11/23/14 07:36 AM
Chopin waltz in E minor (Op. Posth.) or Op.70/1
by Works1
11/23/14 06:22 AM
Forum Stats
77013 Members
42 Forums
159289 Topics
2339921 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission