Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2044430 - 03/07/13 09:44 AM Software Pianos - Where to start?
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
This is a new area of endeavour as far as I`m concerned. But I`ve read some stuff on here, and listened to samples etc,etc. So I`ll have a go; start wi freebies to begin with, see how they go, sort o` thing. I`ve a nice stereo amp which can transmit the sound coming off the computer via a suitable lead from the "Line outs".

But it`s not as simple as that; which is where I pick your brains! My piano`s a simple affair which`ll do only so much I imagine, which is why I`m treading carefully to begin with.

What next? Thanks in advance fellas . . .

""

(ads) Sweetwater / PR /Roland
Special Financing on Digital Keyboards

Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano

Click Here

#2044433 - 03/07/13 09:48 AM Re: Software Pianos - Where to start? [Re: peterws]
Kawai James Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
Download the Pianoteq trial and experiment with MIDI-ing your DP to your computer.

James
x

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#2044444 - 03/07/13 10:16 AM Re: Software Pianos - Where to start? [Re: peterws]
zapper Online   content

you need good computer and good audio interface. These are crucial otherwise you will be dealing with latency and noise, hum problems. IMO pianoteq is the best on the market modeled piano right now so check it out.

#2044507 - 03/07/13 12:25 PM Re: Software Pianos - Where to start? [Re: peterws]
dmd Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
I totally agree with the previous comments.

The Pianoteq demo will give you a chance to use a software piano sound and if you like it, you can purchase the Stage version ( my recommendation ) for a small fee.

If you could leave it at that, you will be able to do this for a very reasonable cost.

My current system: Kawai ES7 + Focal CMS40 Powered Monitors, SennHeiser HD555 Phones, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 audio interface, Mackie ProFX8 Mixer, Ravenscroft275, True Keys American Grand, Ivory II American Concert D, Steinway Basic, Galaxy Vintage D, True Pianos, Pianoteq, Alicia's Keys

#2044519 - 03/07/13 01:12 PM Re: Software Pianos - Where to start? [Re: peterws]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Much obliged gentlemen. Does Pianoteq have it`s own audio interface? whatever that might be . . . I have Audacity and Wavepad editor . . .for recording audio.

Which connections/leads will I need and where do they go? I have a "to device" and "to host" on my piano and can record MIDI to a memory stick.

I`ve just been looking at `em on Amazon; rthey come cheap or expensive. Cheap adequate for starters? Only interested in a piano at the moment.

Edited by peterws (03/07/13 01:19 PM)

""

#2044526 - 03/07/13 01:31 PM Re: Software Pianos - Where to start? [Re: peterws]
UKPianoMan Offline

Loc: London, UK
The audio interface would be essentially a separate and better soundcard which would be capable of processing higher rates of sound. There are some decent ones about for not too great a cost but don't be too stingy you want something that isn't going to give you hassle or burn up after a year. Go with the cheapest that has the best reviews IMO. Most connect via USB nowadays with the sound coming from the '1/4 Line Out' or 'Phones' socket in the unit which you connect your speakers/monitors too.

Does your piano have a 'Plug and Play' socket for USB? If not you can get a £5/$8 MIDI to USB lead.

Hope this helps somewhat
Plan on trying to finance a Grand Piano by the end of 2013 *Donations kindly accepted, apply within*

#2044532 - 03/07/13 02:02 PM Re: Software Pianos - Where to start? [Re: peterws]
dmd Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
Originally Posted By: peterws
Much obliged gentlemen. Does Pianoteq have it`s own audio interface? whatever that might be . . . I have Audacity and Wavepad editor . . .for recording audio.

You need some sort of external audio interface (a box) that connects to your computer on one end and then into your sound system on the other end.

Then you just hook into the computer via MIDI connection.

When you run Pianoteq you will have a setup process where you will assign connections for midi IN and sound OUT.

That is the general idea.

Others can give you a more sophisticated description of the INs and OUTs of this process.

It really is pretty simple, but until you have done it you wonder all sorts of things. The best is to just start doing it and take each hurdle as it comes.

My current system: Kawai ES7 + Focal CMS40 Powered Monitors, SennHeiser HD555 Phones, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 audio interface, Mackie ProFX8 Mixer, Ravenscroft275, True Keys American Grand, Ivory II American Concert D, Steinway Basic, Galaxy Vintage D, True Pianos, Pianoteq, Alicia's Keys

#2044609 - 03/07/13 04:16 PM Re: Software Pianos - Where to start? [Re: peterws]
Kawai James Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Peter, you probably don't need to worry about audio interfaces and additional hardware at this stage.

The most simple method is to connector your DP to the computer using a standard MIDI USB 'A' to 'B' cable (the same as that used for printers) - you can probably find one in your local Poundland.

Connect your DP to the computer and allow the operating system (Windows/Mac OS X) to install the driver automatically. Then download and install the Pianoteq trial. Load it up and try playing some notes on your DP.

Then take it from there...

James
x

#2044624 - 03/07/13 04:24 PM Re: Software Pianos - Where to start? [Re: peterws]
davinwv Offline

Loc: Bridgeport, WV
Also, if you are using a PC, you should download the ASIO4ALL driver to add low latency audio capability (ASIO) to your computer's internal soundcard. If you skip this step, you will have a rude introduction to unacceptable latency (a delay of more than 10ms from the time you press a key to the time you hear a sound).

If you are on a Mac, do what Kawai James said and have fun!

#2044639 - 03/07/13 04:55 PM Re: Software Pianos - Where to start? [Re: Kawai James]
abitconfused Offline

Quote:
The most simple method is to connector your DP to the computer using a standard MIDI 'A' to 'B' cable (the same as that used for printers) - you can probably find one in your local Poundland.

I think you mean USB type A to type B cable here?
Good idea!

Edited by abitconfused (03/07/13 05:11 PM)

#2044640 - 03/07/13 04:57 PM Re: Software Pianos - Where to start? [Re: peterws]
Kawai James Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Ah, you're right, I'll edit my post.

James
x

#2044653 - 03/07/13 05:11 PM Re: Software Pianos - Where to start? [Re: Kawai James]
abitconfused Offline

then so will I!

#2044730 - 03/07/13 07:37 PM Re: Software Pianos - Where to start? [Re: peterws]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Now that I am fully informed, I shall dive into this unchartered terrain with true Yorkshire grit (I`m from Lancs) . . . starting with the piano and the computer . . . hope they get on well . . . like my granddaughters (not) . . .swear words, be prepared!!!

""

#2044752 - 03/07/13 08:15 PM Re: Software Pianos - Where to start? [Re: peterws]
Vid Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Vancouver, B.C.
Have fun! Its not so bad once you figure a couple of things out. You've been given good direction.

#2044763 - 03/07/13 08:27 PM Re: Software Pianos - Where to start? [Re: peterws]
ahhsmurf Offline

Loc: Banned
The Pianoteq demo will give you a chance to use a software piano sound and if you like it

#2044769 - 03/07/13 08:34 PM Re: Software Pianos - Where to start? [Re: peterws]
MacMacMac Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Carolina
My two cents ... If you get Pianoteq, try their Bluthner emulation. It's pretty good. The others are terrible.

#2044837 - 03/07/13 11:50 PM Re: Software Pianos - Where to start? [Re: davinwv]
Charles Cohen Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Richmond, BC, Canada
Originally Posted By: davinwv
Also, if you are using a PC, you should download the ASIO4ALL driver to add low latency audio capability (ASIO) to your computer's internal soundcard. If you skip this step, you will have a rude introduction to unacceptable latency (a delay of more than 10ms from the time you press a key to the time you hear a sound). . . .

PMFJI --

I just downloaded Pianoteq last night, and -- indeed! -- had a rude introduction to unacceptable latency.

A switch to the ASIO4ALL driver fixed that problem, and everything started working.

The Pianoteq software recognized the MIDI-over-USB connection to my PX-350 immediately.

I'm using a Vantec USB external audio adapter, with "7.1"-channel capability -- cost about $40-$50. Just driving it in 44.1 kHz/16-bit stereo.

It's not quite a "plug-and-play" world yet, but it's getting better.

. Charles

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
> Robin Spielberg Playing in Maine! <
-------------------
75,000 Members and Growing!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
144 registered (AndrewJCW, Al LaPorte, Alex1, AmateurBob, accordeur, 34 invisible), 1889 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75483 Members
42 Forums
156069 Topics
2291815 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Kristian Bezuidenhout on Mozart and his piano music
by bennevis
55 minutes 36 seconds ago
Hard Starting Intermediate
by frankeric
Today at 04:48 PM
And what about this one?
by leel
Today at 04:23 PM
No music rest for Roland stage pianos?
by Delphian2001
Today at 04:20 PM
Where is the new blood?
by Markarian
Today at 03:53 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission