Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2044550 - 03/07/13 03:02 PM Teaching 8 year old with Anxiety Disorder - Help!
pianogirl1978 Offline

Loc: Nebraska
I teach a wonderful 8 year old little girl and the first few lessons were fine and she understood everything I was teaching her, but now we are hitting a point where she is getting very anxious if she does not understand something immediately - to the point where there are tears during the last half of the lesson. She looks ahead in the book and panics about what is coming next. I try to make light of it and tell her "don't worry, we haven't learned it yet so you're not supposed to know how to do it!" Her mom discussed her anxiety and perfectionism a little with me and told me she does "deep breathing" when she gets anxious. So we are learning anything new lately and she stops and says "okay I have to take deep breaths now" and tears are coming down her face as she tries to calm herself down! I am a very laid-back teacher, very light-hearted so I really don't think it is me that is making her this anxious. I just don't know how long I should let this go on. She has shed tears the last 3 lessons. And if she doesn't cry, her voice wavers and her eyes start watering when she is learning a new concept. When should I talk to mom about maybe stopping lessons if this is not gonna be enjoyable for her?

Edited by pianogirl1978 (03/07/13 03:03 PM)

(ad) My Music Staff
Check out the new way to manage your music studio
#2044559 - 03/07/13 03:30 PM Re: Teaching 8 year old with Anxiety Disorder - Help! [Re: pianogirl1978]
AZNpiano Online   sleepy
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Orange County, CA
That's very noble of you to suggest stopping lessons! I probably wouldn't do that unless I have people on the waiting list. It's always hard to teach little perfectionists, especially when they are still in method books.

Good luck! Let us know how things go.

#2044563 - 03/07/13 03:36 PM Re: Teaching 8 year old with Anxiety Disorder - Help! [Re: pianogirl1978]
Minniemay Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: CA
I would make sure that I do nothing new with her. I know that seems counterintuitive, but if you do lots of preparatory games and experiences with her before you ever look at anything in print, you will always be able to say, "Why, look! You already know how to do this!"

Lots of improvisation, playing by ear, finger plays, moving, singing. Set every experience up to be something she already knows.

#2044635 - 03/07/13 04:49 PM Re: Teaching 8 year old with Anxiety Disorder - Help! [Re: pianogirl1978]
ten left thumbs Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Scotland
I think you need to keep the new concepts very small and finite. This student needs plenty of material to consolidate what she knows, and master it truly before moving on. You may need to use different books in parallel, to give her plenty practice. She will mature, for now she has ways of dealing with her anxiety, and crying is one of them.

www.justfingers.co.uk
www.babysinging.co.uk

#2044783 - 03/07/13 09:07 PM Re: Teaching 8 year old with Anxiety Disorder - Help! [Re: ten left thumbs]
malkin Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: *sigh* Salt Lake City
Stay calm and detached from her anxiety. Please don't be controlled by her anxiety or her crying.

Stay in touch with the child and mom about strategies to respond to anxiety, deep breaths and whatever else she finds to do. She might discover a piano related calming activity; maybe she could play a scale or a chord while taking deep breaths or singing along with some notes.

You could read David Smith's book Monkey Mind for some insight about anxiety from a sufferer. (WARNING: adult content)

#2044923 - 03/08/13 06:46 AM Re: Teaching 8 year old with Anxiety Disorder - Help! [Re: malkin]
pianomouse Offline

Loc: Europe
I agree with everything said above. It might also help, if you don't use a book, where she sees what's coming next which seems to build up like a huge mountain for her. Why not use xeroxed music, and only give her what you actually work on?

#2044927 - 03/08/13 07:05 AM Re: Teaching 8 year old with Anxiety Disorder - Help! [Re: Minniemay]
Gary D. Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: South Florida
Originally Posted By: Minniemay
I would make sure that I do nothing new with her. I know that seems counterintuitive, but if you do lots of preparatory games and experiences with her before you ever look at anything in print, you will always be able to say, "Why, look! You already know how to do this!"

Lots of improvisation, playing by ear, finger plays, moving, singing. Set every experience up to be something she already knows.

That's great!

I would add that it is the balance of success against challenges that is the key. Some people are always pushing to do something new and do not worry about imperfection. In its own way this can lead eventually to a high degree of mastery, but the teacher has to insist on fixing things and not always going on or glossing over imperfections.

With the obsessive perfectionists I think I tend to have them review a huge amount of material, then slip in new concepts or little improvements in very safe, gradual steps. It's a different mindset.

Perhaps all of us need more support than we realize this way. There is something about mastering an instrument that makes feeling good about where we are rather hard and feeling inadequate very easy. Just look at some of the most famous players who have ever lived. Why else would someone like Horowitz go through periods where he would say, "But I don't play piano any more..."

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
94 registered (ando, AndrewJCW, Andy001, aesop, AZNpiano, AEMontoya, 16 invisible), 883 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75969 Members
42 Forums
157105 Topics
2307280 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
An update on Ethan Hawke's docu about Seymour Bernstein
by music32
08/28/14 04:36 AM
Tuning the 7th octave
by AaronM
08/28/14 01:29 AM
Some Swan Lake
by harpon
08/28/14 12:53 AM
What makes a piano sound honky-tonk?
by harpon
08/28/14 12:31 AM
Casio Px 110 vs 150 for Pianoteq + action
by Dwscamel
08/28/14 12:10 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission