2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
27 members (Burkhard, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, cmoody31, dh371, 20/20 Vision, admodios, clothearednincompo, 6 invisible), 1,217 guests, and 325 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014
1000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by cmajornine
Visit http://practisingthepiano.com the author of this site seems very knowledgeable in the art of practicing. I am so impressed, I am considering purchasing his practice guides eBooks.

Anyone on here got any stuff from him?

His writing and advice is of a very good quality. I would recommend checking the ebook out as you're not going to find such a text (certainly not new and physical) for that fair a price. Now mind you there are likely other, more comprehensive (the oft-mentioned Seymour Bernstein's With Your Own Two Hands and Madeline Bruser's The Art of Practicing come to mind) resources, but likely not quite as approachable as Graham Fitch's.

F
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
F
Originally Posted by cmajornine
Visit http://practisingthepiano.com the author of this site seems very knowledgeable in the art of practicing. I am so impressed, I am considering purchasing his practice guides eBooks.

Anyone on here got any stuff from him? BTW I do an hour a day

I bought both the ebooks and have been using the feedback loop and quarantine examples extensively. This was a difficult transition for this old dog (54) as I have many years of going about practicing in a different manner - one that led to pain and didn't work very well to begin with.

As with any method, actually applying the instruction is the key. Buying the books won't do anything unless you use the methods.

Mr. Fitch is the real deal. I am regularly sending him a few coins not because I feel I have to, but because I feel rewarding good work is a good thing to do.

His youtube videos on chord technique are WONDERFUL technical advice, just search for 'Graham Fitch Chord'

but to echo Derulux's sage advice above... when the hands stop doing what the mind tells them to, it's time to stop.

Forrest

Mompou, Cancion y Danza #6
some Chopin, some Bach (always), Debussy
My beliefs are only that unless I can prove them.
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
Many good advice above.

I usually do 2 hours of practice a day, with half an hour break between 2 sessions. But many can't keep working concentrated for that long. Nothing wrong with messing a bit but it does not really help the progress.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
T
T
Newbie here for piano.
I picked up a yamaha psr e423 to try and learn piano. I always liked plinking away on my uncle's organ just to see what usable tunes, tones I could get out of the instrument.
I'm 66 yrs old and need something to occupy my mind, hence the piano.
I found a guy that is willing to help me start out, but I now find him boring. He plays drums, has a working knowledge of piano and guitar. He took up piano theory in college so I guess I'm way behind in learning what to do and what not to do.
I bought four EZ Play Music books. That's where the notes are marked what they are and have the chords marked above the measure[s]
I can play most of the melodies out of the books and improvise some songs I hear on the radio so it sounds like something. I'm convinced to try to master the right hand before I even attempt the chords, or should I be playing chords and melodies together? I do find that my music slows way down when I'm searching for chords.

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Tom518
I can play most of the melodies out of the books and improvise some songs I hear on the radio so it sounds like something. I'm convinced to try to master the right hand before I even attempt the chords, or should I be playing chords and melodies together? I do find that my music slows way down when I'm searching for chords.

I suggest working with each hand separately, perhaps emphasizing the left hand because that is the weakness. Then do hands together at a slow speed. The tempo will pick up after a person gets used to playing hands together. One goal for the left hand, is to get to a point where you can find the chords without looking at the keys. That may seem far away, but if a person works on it, it will come.

T
T
Thank You! That is very helpful information. But I will try to master song melodies with the right hand first.
I can do the root chords pretty easy. The hard part comes when I'm searching for a Dm7 chord and my fingers cant reach the flat or sharps.
My teacher says to move up my fingers and play the keys, between the black keys.
It's still difficult.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission