2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
55 members (1200s, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, 36251, anotherscott, bcalvanese, 1957, beeboss, 7sheji, 11 invisible), 1,515 guests, and 329 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
peterws Offline OP
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
This is a new area of endeavour as far as I`m concerned. But I`ve read some stuff on here, and listened to samples etc,etc. So I`ll have a go; start wi freebies to begin with, see how they go, sort o` thing. I`ve a nice stereo amp which can transmit the sound coming off the computer via a suitable lead from the "Line outs".

But it`s not as simple as that; which is where I pick your brains! My piano`s a simple affair which`ll do only so much I imagine, which is why I`m treading carefully to begin with.

What next? Thanks in advance fellas . . .

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
Download the Pianoteq trial and experiment with MIDI-ing your DP to your computer.

James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
Z
Z
you need good computer and good audio interface. These are crucial otherwise you will be dealing with latency and noise, hum problems. IMO pianoteq is the best on the market modeled piano right now so check it out.

D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
I totally agree with the previous comments.

The Pianoteq demo will give you a chance to use a software piano sound and if you like it, you can purchase the Stage version ( my recommendation ) for a small fee.

If you could leave it at that, you will be able to do this for a very reasonable cost.

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
peterws Offline OP
OP Offline
Much obliged gentlemen. Does Pianoteq have it`s own audio interface? whatever that might be . . . I have Audacity and Wavepad editor . . .for recording audio.

Which connections/leads will I need and where do they go? I have a "to device" and "to host" on my piano and can record MIDI to a memory stick.

I`ve just been looking at `em on Amazon; rthey come cheap or expensive. Cheap adequate for starters? Only interested in a piano at the moment.

Last edited by peterws; 03/07/13 02:19 PM.

"[Linked Image]"
The audio interface would be essentially a separate and better soundcard which would be capable of processing higher rates of sound. There are some decent ones about for not too great a cost but don't be too stingy you want something that isn't going to give you hassle or burn up after a year. Go with the cheapest that has the best reviews IMO. Most connect via USB nowadays with the sound coming from the '1/4 Line Out' or 'Phones' socket in the unit which you connect your speakers/monitors too.

Does your piano have a 'Plug and Play' socket for USB? If not you can get a £5/$8 MIDI to USB lead.

Hope this helps somewhat

Liam
D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by peterws
Much obliged gentlemen. Does Pianoteq have it`s own audio interface? whatever that might be . . . I have Audacity and Wavepad editor . . .for recording audio.

You need some sort of external audio interface (a box) that connects to your computer on one end and then into your sound system on the other end.

Then you just hook into the computer via MIDI connection.

When you run Pianoteq you will have a setup process where you will assign connections for midi IN and sound OUT.

That is the general idea.

Others can give you a more sophisticated description of the INs and OUTs of this process.

It really is pretty simple, but until you have done it you wonder all sorts of things. The best is to just start doing it and take each hurdle as it comes.

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
Peter, you probably don't need to worry about audio interfaces and additional hardware at this stage.

The most simple method is to connector your DP to the computer using a standard MIDI USB 'A' to 'B' cable (the same as that used for printers) - you can probably find one in your local Poundland.

Connect your DP to the computer and allow the operating system (Windows/Mac OS X) to install the driver automatically. Then download and install the Pianoteq trial. Load it up and try playing some notes on your DP.

Then take it from there...

James
x

D
D
Also, if you are using a PC, you should download the ASIO4ALL driver to add low latency audio capability (ASIO) to your computer's internal soundcard. If you skip this step, you will have a rude introduction to unacceptable latency (a delay of more than 10ms from the time you press a key to the time you hear a sound).

If you are on a Mac, do what Kawai James said and have fun!

A
A
The most simple method is to connector your DP to the computer using a standard MIDI 'A' to 'B' cable (the same as that used for printers) - you can probably find one in your local Poundland.

I think you mean USB type A to type B cable here?
Good idea!

Last edited by abitconfused; 03/07/13 06:11 PM.
Ah, you're right, I'll edit my post.

James
x

A
A
then so will I!

peterws Offline OP
OP Offline
Now that I am fully informed, I shall dive into this unchartered terrain with true Yorkshire grit (I`m from Lancs) . . . starting with the piano and the computer . . . hope they get on well . . . like my granddaughters (not) . . .swear words, be prepared!!!

"[Linked Image]"
Vid Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Have fun! Its not so bad once you figure a couple of things out. You've been given good direction.

• Schimmel Upright
  • Kawai VPC-1 with Pianoteq

Any issues or concerns are piped to /dev/null
A
A
The Pianoteq demo will give you a chance to use a software piano sound and if you like it

My two cents ... If you get Pianoteq, try their Bluthner emulation. It's pretty good. The others are terrible.

C
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by davinwv
Also, if you are using a PC, you should download the ASIO4ALL driver to add low latency audio capability (ASIO) to your computer's internal soundcard. If you skip this step, you will have a rude introduction to unacceptable latency (a delay of more than 10ms from the time you press a key to the time you hear a sound). . . .

PMFJI --

I just downloaded Pianoteq last night, and -- indeed! -- had a rude introduction to unacceptable latency.

A switch to the ASIO4ALL driver fixed that problem, and everything started working.

The Pianoteq software recognized the MIDI-over-USB connection to my PX-350 immediately.

I'm using a Vantec USB external audio adapter, with "7.1"-channel capability -- cost about $40-$50. Just driving it in 44.1 kHz/16-bit stereo.

It's not quite a "plug-and-play" world yet, but it's getting better.

. Charles

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / Roland Gaia / Pianoteq

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission